MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   Key won't work in driver side door (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/621507-key-wont-work-in-driver-side-door.html)

Rev_Night 03-16-2019 01:08 PM

Key won't work in driver side door

I have a 2007 350z Touring. For the past 10odd years, I've never used my physical key to lock or unlock the door, only used the key fob. The physical key is used in the ignition just fine. So I am prepping my Z for sale, and I want to fix this issue. I put the key in, turn it to the left, and it moves like 20 degrees, thats it. Can't lock/unlock the doors, can't move windows, nothing. The local mechanic said they tried squirting PB blaster etc.. into it, still won't move. It's probably corroded from lack of use. The problem is that even if I supply the new cylinder myself, the dealer wants $550 to install it and call out the locksmith to pair it to my key. I am trying to avoid this expense.

I repeatedly tried searching all over this forum, google, and other Z forums for a guide on how to dissemble the Door Cylinder Lock, soak each peice, clean it, and put humpty dumpty back together again.Does anyone know of such a guide?

Thanks all! Trying to play 'avoid the dealer' game for as long as possible.

NWS Tit tax:
http://scandalplanet.com/brie-larson-nude-leaked-pics/

dkmura 03-16-2019 03:19 PM

Sorry Rev- not a common issue with the Z. If it's really the door cylinder, I'd suggest removing it, soaking it in solvent and lubricating it until it moves again. Maybe you can write a DIY thread this time 'round.

Spike100 03-16-2019 03:31 PM

My door lock also stop functioning with the key. In fact, there is rust forming under the key opening and door handle. I was able to get the lock to turn by squirting WD40 into the lock opening and putting it on the key and inserting this into the lock. It took a few "applications."

I have not disassembled the lock yet, but you would need to remove the door panel and the window to access the lock.

Rev_Night 03-17-2019 07:14 AM

Spike - Are you saying I need to take apart the whole door to remove the door cylinder? I thought I just had to remove the handle first

Spike100 03-17-2019 08:18 AM

I'm not sure. I was able to get the key to work so I didn't need to take things apart. I would think you need to remove the door panel on the inside.

EDIT: I just checked the door on my 350z. You can remove the handle from outside the car. But, this does not provide access to the door lock cylinder. You need to remove the inside door panel to access the door handle housing and the lock cylinder.

813_350Z 02-12-2020 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by SaminaCotzier (Post 11014013)
Without the help of a professional locksmith one can't be able to work with the door panel because to know the lock mechanism is really very difficult for a normal person.

Removing 4 screws and popping off a panel is very difficult for a normal person?

MicVelo 02-12-2020 07:30 AM

Door lock/handle removal is not a complex task. If one can wield a ratchet and a socket, removal should take about 10 minutes. You do NOT need to remove the door panel (although I've linked that as well just in case... screws/bolts have been known to fall into the door. Laff....)

There's a number of vids on YT on this subject: Search YouTube for " 350z door handle replacement " (list link isn't working too well else I'da embedded it).

Take your choice. I've not watched all of these but from personal experience, while you are removing the handle, check all the connections to the lock cylinder. Sometimes it's not the cylinder itself, rather the physical connections to it. If all physical connections seem intact, proceed with soaking/blasting it again with PB Blaster or silicone lube and gently working the key until it frees up. Worst case scenario, you may have to replace the cylinder and have the new one rekeyed (or just sell the car noting that it was replaced and there's a second key in the event they need to use the physical lock instead of the fob.

As far as door panel removal, that's also a pretty straightforward affair and should take no more than 10-15 minutes first time around. Our own AnthonyJ350 shows you how in the first five minutes of this vid:

And while I'm at it, I'll give a plug to a guy ( @AnthonyJ350 here and on YouTube) I've never met in my life but his videos are great for all people who wrench on a Z. Good, common sense advice in easy-to-follow vids.

DavidKnight 02-05-2021 05:41 AM

I was also not sure but ***** near me provided me the new key on the same day and removed the door lock cylinder.

MartinBecker 04-19-2021 06:42 AM

The video clip shared above is really beneficial, as a $$$$$&I have learned many new things from here.