Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial D Kit (INGS Replica): It has begun!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Initial D Kit (INGS Replica): It has begun!

Sorry, I had to borrow ZRAYGO's tagline!

So Squill and I broke down and bought the Initial D kits....hey Squill...why the heck didnt we negotiate a discount?!

Anyways, I picked mine up from the local LA warehouse today, and saved shipping and taxes, so the price was $1279 out the door from Intense Motorsports.

I must say that overall, I am very pleased with the quality of the kit. It was very straight, and the fitment was excellent. The holes were pre-drilled and everything lined up pretty well.

The body shop had to trim the front bumper 3 inches to accomodate my FMIC, and they had to notch the rear bumper support brace becuase it was a tad tight around the license plate mounting area.

Like most fiberglass bodykits, they are not truley "paint ready". There were some very minor chips and scratches that need to be filled, sanded, etc. And there was one section of the front bumper that was just a little bit wavy. Again, I am being really ****, and picky here. The fiberglass is very thick and solid looking and feeling...not thin and flimsy like I had feared.

The car is being done by Custom Classic Paint and Body in Pasadena, just up the street from my house. They have stacks of trophys in the lobby from all the car shows and awards they have won. They work on really high end cars, and do show quality work. Their prices are a bit on the high side, but I think the quality of work will be worth it. Original estimate was $1000 for test fitting, painting, and reinstallation. They are in the process of working up the estimate for "prepping" the kit. I am guess probably another $200-$400 for that. Once I have the final tally, I will update.

Here are some pics, and I will update once the kit is installed, and post the final work and price when completed on Thurs.

front bumper #1

front bumper #2

rear shot
Old 06-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

can some PM me exactly how to imbed a photo in this thread?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Reggi914

that read shot of your car is scary!
Old 06-21-2004, 10:11 PM
HaNkYs_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

download the image resizer from here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
Old 06-21-2004, 10:14 PM
AmyCroft

Default HuMM only for XP

Originally posted by HaNkYs_Z
download the image resizer from here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
Only for XP

Naaah !

Cheers Amy -
Old 06-21-2004, 10:17 PM
aaaaa

i 've always wanted intial D kit.....i envy you man....^^

cannot wait for the pics!
Old 06-21-2004, 10:28 PM
HaNkYs_Z

Default Re: HuMM only for XP

Originally posted by AmyCroft
Only for XP

Naaah !

Cheers Amy -
What OS are you running? you can just go microsoft.com and type in " Microsoft PowerToys" and see if there is one for your OS.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:50 PM
AmyCroft

Default Re: Re: HuMM only for XP

Originally posted by HaNkYs_Z
What OS are you running? you can just go microsoft.com and type in " Microsoft PowerToys" and see if there is one for your OS.
Thanks - I'll Try that..

Cheers
Old 06-22-2004, 12:53 AM
joust75

Last edited by joust75; 06-22-2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:28 AM
nuff

How much lower is the lip compared to the stock bumper?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Phatmitzu

Cant wait to see the finish result. I bet it will look rad.

Oh BTW Sherif, I have the whole Initial D album if you want...

Old 06-22-2004, 08:28 AM
NismoKid

Looks good! Do they have to blend the paint of the bumper with the hood and fenders to match even though it's black?

You can use imageshack.us for picture hosting that works in a forum.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by nuff
It;s car to tell, becuase the stock bumper has that little plastic lip guard thing. Overall, it looks about 1-2 inches lower than stock. It's pretty low...I must say...but not too terribly low.

Once its completed, I will post some measurements.

No, they dont have to blend the paint into the factory area. The car is new, and the paint is in good condition, so you wont notice a difference. The body pieces will, however, have a much thicker, and stronger clear-coat than factory.

Phat, send me that album...that would be cool!
Old 06-22-2004, 01:24 PM
ThoughtZ

Yeah to second the answer to the question the car does sit pretty low. I also have my car lowered by teins so you have to take bumps a little slower than before but you wont scarp it unless you fly over a speed bump or misjudge a parking block. I love the kit personally. It really depends on the color of your far for instance my car was only 5 months old but they still blended the fenders in since i was also replacing my hood. One of the if not THE best bumper for a fi powered car. Good choice.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

True, but the factory clear coat is so freaken thin, that any attempt to color sand and blend will likely result in swirl marks or destruction of the paint. They would have to literally blend/repaint sections of the hood and stuff. The guy has promised me absolute perfection, so if its not perfect, he'll redo it.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:19 AM
SQUILL

Default Re: Initial D Kit (INGS Replica): It has begun!

Originally posted by gq_626
Sorry, I had to borrow ZRAYGO's tagline!

So Squill and I broke down and bought the Initial D kits....hey Squill...why the heck didnt we negotiate a discount?!

Well we did have a slight discount when you were going to split the kit up but then we both got the full kits and forgot about the discount!!!!!! LOL that damn HAN!!!! Maybe he will throw in a set of forged con rods to make up for it!!! hee hee...

Oh by the way I bought the "last kit in the country" so anybody wants one too bad I got it nnaaa na naaa na naaaa....oh wait then Sharif bought the other "last kit in the country" come to think of it Sharif how many "last kits in the country" did you locate for us....maybe its more of an inside joke heh heh ...(every vendor seemed to have "the last kit in the country" too funny.

Anyway got my kit this morning ive got to say im pleasently suprised ..very good quality.

I ordered another body kit before the initial D kit which is made by Vis Racing and is also an Ings+1 n-spec replica kit ...what a pile of garbage that thing was ugh ..Im currently in the process of returning that one .. 2 weeks since i complained and wed they finally are sending the truck to pick it up.

The difference between the Initial D kit and the "Wings" kit by VIS is Night and day.

Cant Wait to see ur kit when its all finished especially in black its gotta just look mean in black with the volks and the giant fmic...drool.

Hey you know that truck you are shipping ur Z in ?? Send it to my house on the way ..uh ..I got uh a 14" stoptech brake kit im not gonna use ill throw it in the truck for you ...um...yeah..if your car is Liquid Aluminum when u get it though it wasnt me..hee hee

anyway i lost my appoint with the body shop with the first bodykit fiasco so gotta make another one ...Ill get my kit on asap though.

Here are some pics in raw form..
Attached Thumbnails Initial D Kit (INGS Replica):  It has begun!-initiald-007.jpg  
Old 06-23-2004, 01:26 AM
SQUILL

Originally posted by nuff
Looks like the stock bumper is about 15 1/2 inches from the bottom of the head light to the bottom of the front of the bumper...i know the tape looks higher in the picture but i lined it up perfect its just the angle of the camera...
Attached Thumbnails Initial D Kit (INGS Replica):  It has begun!-initiald-008.jpg  
Old 06-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Dragonstyle

looks good.....
Old 06-23-2004, 01:33 AM
SQUILL

The Initial D bumper looks to be 18" form the same measuring points and has a flat bottom unlike the stck bumper which tapers down a bit from the front....speed bumps are now the enemy..I do like the flex in this kit though it seems strong yet there is some flexability in it which should make it a little more forgiving if one was to make a slight error in ones driving ...ahem ..not that i would or anything....did i mention i ruined my rear bumper at 900 miles on the car??? You see this fence just jumped out and.....well never mind
Attached Thumbnails Initial D Kit (INGS Replica):  It has begun!-initiald-011.jpg  
Old 06-23-2004, 01:37 AM
SQUILL

Here is one more pic from the inside ...the fiber glassing looks to be very good and the bumpers are suprisingly lighter than i thought they would be ... i might have to get a scale and weigh em to see the difference from stock.

Anyway Sharif ur kit will probably be done b4 i get a chane to get in to do mine so ur the guinne pig ha! Keep us updated
Attached Thumbnails Initial D Kit (INGS Replica):  It has begun!-initiald-005.jpg  

Quick Reply: Initial D Kit (INGS Replica): It has begun!