Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.
View Poll Results: Vendors giving discounts to reviewers will impact the review in a bias way.
True
30.00%
False
60.00%
Possibly
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Should Vendors be giving discounted prices to testers/reviewers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:39 AM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should Vendors be giving discounted prices to testers/reviewers

I have recently wondered if it is a good idea for us the consumers to be subject to reviews of modifications where the Vendor gives a special price. This is kind of a brib, or buy off to me, a kinda I scratch your back you scratch mine scenerio. It seems that if people do not pay full retail for something they will naturally tend to give a better review, or have nicer things to say. I have personally been subject to this in the past, and I can say I gave a good review although I did not get what I wanted or should have got for my money. I feel due to this I may have mislead members to spend their money unwisely. I was cut a backdoor deal so to speak.

This is not to cause a big issue, it is very simple, if you think Vendors giving sizable discounts creates a more bias review vote True, if not vote false, if your not 100% vote possibly

Eric B

Last edited by screener; 04-03-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:21 AM
GHOST1207

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I've never been a tester to any of the vendors, but to me they are releasing a product to test the waters. If someone had something bad to say, like it doesn't fit or the product was cheaply made and broke easily, the vendor can go back and revise the original product and mass produce it to everyone else based on the reviews given by the the select few to test it. To me it's a good thing, if I had a chance to get something for a discount and asked to review it, my opinions would not be biased just because I got it for cheap, but then again not everyone thinks like this.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:57 AM
nogoodname007

The reviewers shouldn't be bias because it's a reveiw of the product and not the vendor. Unless the vendor is the manufacture. I've gave a so-so review once and the manufacture stepped up and fixed the problems. I didn't throw the vendor in front of the bus....LoL.

Last edited by nogoodname007; 04-03-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:56 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a pretty common practice in marketing everywhere.
I have no qualms in bashing a product if it's a piece of crap.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reviews are only part of the battle. Ask people/speak to people who have the product and get their feedback.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Beta testing is very common. I don't see why this would be an issue, although I can understand your concern over biased reviews. For the most part, people are pretty honest when it comes to reviews on our forums. I know what you're referring to and I can honestly say that you have nothing to worry about.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:46 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I like the sig at the end of the OP's post. First thing that came to mind, "Eric B and Rakim"...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:41 PM
screener
Banned

Originally Posted by vo7848
I like the sig at the end of the OP's post. First thing that came to mind, "Eric B and Rakim"...
The sig was donated by a member, but I am Eric B just no Rakim. That is funny though, I never listened to them, but I did hear of them.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 PM
screener
Banned

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Beta testing is very common. I don't see why this would be an issue, although I can understand your concern over biased reviews. For the most part, people are pretty honest when it comes to reviews on our forums. I know what you're referring to and I can honestly say that you have nothing to worry about.
I follow your views pretty closely, I think the issue is minor at most.

My point would be more to the fact of. If you can sell the parts that cheap to a reviewer, then just sell them to all of the consumers at that price. This is were it starts looking fishy to me.

I don't know what you are referring to,

Last edited by screener; 04-06-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by beddow
I follow your views pretty closely, I think the issue is minor at most.

My point would be more to the fact of. If you can sell the parts that cheap to a reviewer, then just sell them to all of the consumers at that price. This is were it starts looking fishy to me.

I don't know what you are referring to,
I don't think you understand how much R/D was/is required for these types of mods and the financial burden that is placed on the company (and a small one at that). Looking at just the physical material cost, yeah the consumer's price could be cheaper, but you're not looking at the whole picture. Plus, they're allowed to charge a slight premium for taking the initiative, for their company name, etc, no?

And as long as you know what you're referring to, we're good.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 PM
screener
Banned

I don't think you understand how much R/D was/is required for these types of mods and the financial burden that is placed on the company (and a small one at that). Looking at just the physical material cost, yeah the consumer's price could be cheaper, but you're not looking at the whole picture. Plus, they're allowed to charge a slight premium for taking the initiative, for their company name, etc, no?

And as long as you know what you're referring to, we're good.
That kind of goes along with why I don't quite agree with the discounts to reviewers.

The R&D should include all the pre-release testing/reviewing and such (prove itself reliable and worthy of manufacturing). If the R&D is done right, then why the need to throw a bone to a reviewer? Given the vendor has a good rapport within the community, this makes little to no sense.

Maybe I am being a little more critical here because of the openness to talk about the hand outs for X to review. This kind of business has been going on forever, but it is usually done more discreetly, to not raise red flags.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:31 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

That kind of goes along with why I don't quite agree with the discounts to reviewers.

The R&D should include all the pre-release testing/reviewing and such (prove itself reliable and worthy of manufacturing). If the R&D is done right, then why the need to throw a bone to a reviewer? Given the vendor has a good rapport within the community, this makes little to no sense.

Maybe I am being a little more critical here because of the openness to talk about the hand outs for X to review. This kind of business has been going on forever, but it is usually done more discreetly, to not raise red flags.
Pre-release testing/review, with your mindset, would yield the same result. There could potentially be bias because those testers would had to have received an incentive especially considering it'd be an "unreleased product," no? See how I can spin things around using your logic?

And what are you talking about? Shops do this all the time. Whenever they release a new supercharger kit or turbocharger kit or even a nitrous kit, there was always an incentive that came along with it for the reviewers/testers.

This thread won't get anywhere.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:49 AM
screener
Banned

Pre-release testing/review, with your mindset, would yield the same result. There could potentially be bias because those testers would had to have received an incentive especially considering it'd be an "unreleased product," no? See how I can spin things around using your logic?

And what are you talking about? Shops do this all the time. Whenever they release a new supercharger kit or turbocharger kit or even a nitrous kit, there was always an incentive that came along with it for the reviewers/testers.

This thread won't get anywhere.
Are you in politics? You have completely lost me now.

No need to spin anything, there is either proper R&D or there is not. If I were in the community to make a name for myself, would I be wise to not want my reviewers to SCRUTINIZE my prototypes before I commit X amount of dollars and my reputation to it/them? This is not the same incentive as you are stating. These tester are in the development of the product and report directly to product management, not the consumers. For this matter see how I can spin it right back. This is not "my logic" as you kindly put it, it is opinions followed by simple debate. Ancient logic that I cannot take credit for. There is no reason to spin this, if we continue to do this it will never end.

To address your second paragraph, you are correct. Here is the small hole in that statement though. They offer a discounted price to ALL consumers to get the product in the public hands. Not selective distubution of special pricing that I am speaking of. If you are saying that shops give special prices to reviewers for FI, nitrous kits. Those people deserve a bone thrown, they are more guinea pigs, and an exception to the rule then. If you add a power adder I think it safe to say the power will be there. The more important issue would be reliability/setup.

See I'm not attempting to spin anything, just using simple common sense.

That cuts deep when you say this will never get anywhere. There are some responses, so you owe me an apology, because I am hurt easily. J/K But I am enjoying typing with you this is good stuff, I enjoy seeing how mind think alone sometimes.

Last edited by screener; 04-07-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 AM
JEKL

Personally, I like to think that I am ethical enough to give my fellow members a honest review regardless if I received a discount or not. I wouldn't want someone going out spending their hard earned money on a piece of crap because I said it was a great product.

If you don't think you are that way, then maybe it is not for you.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Driven1
Professional

I think you're confusing R&D with Marketing and Sales.

R&D is RARELY public knowledge and not really a thing to "review". What are you "reviewing".... stuff that that may or may not work? That's a simple review...either it does or does not work, not a detailed review of your satisfaction.

If I give you a "discount" as a vendor for a written review you are essentially being compensated for the time it takes you to properly review the product. IF you think you're obligated to write a positive review and do so based on the "discount" you received that's your ethical decision. Would I want to make sure you're satisfied to give me a positive review...absolutely...that's marketing and customer service man.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:47 AM
screener
Banned

Originally Posted by Driven1
I think you're confusing R&D with Marketing and Sales.

R&D is RARELY public knowledge and not really a thing to "review". What are you "reviewing".... stuff that that may or may not work? That's a simple review...either it does or does not work, not a detailed review of your satisfaction.

If I give you a "discount" as a vendor for a written review you are essentially being compensated for the time it takes you to properly review the product. IF you think you're obligated to write a positive review and do so based on the "discount" you received that's your ethical decision. Would I want to make sure you're satisfied to give me a positive review...absolutely...that's marketing and customer service man.
I don't think I am confused at all here. If R&D is done and manufacturing commences, this would seem you are satified with the test results implemented in your R&D. Then why release the product to the public for purchase then target individuals for reviews? Seems the personal reviews will come on their own, right? You can find a review for just about everything we can purchase for the 350z, people want to give their opinions/reviews on their purchases.

I am glad to see you have the same outlook as me when it come to reviewers giving positive reviews due to discounts. That is really the debate I am pushing in this thread.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

This is not "my logic" as you kindly put it, it is opinions followed by simple debate.. if we continue to do this it will never end.
Of course, it is your logic, or at least an advocate of such an idea. And you're right in that it is merely your opinion, just like mine is merely my opinion. And I also agree that if we continue this, it'll never end. So, why debate over something that won't get anywhere?

Also, the sponsor isn't paying the reviewers for their positive review. You have to understand that the discount is given so that the customer has an incentive to give a review in the first place. After all, these dyno pulls (at least 3 pre and 3 post) aren't free. Neither is the time spent on installing nor the shop's labor.

Think about how many people with mods have not gotten a single dyno pull made for baseline, pre/post mod, etc. Without that small incentive (discount), these same people will continue to not visit the dyno.

The incentive is also given so that more reviews are made at a faster rate than normal, which also leads to more sales. The sponsor knows that it works from his R/D, but people are always skeptical. When people read more and more reviews from others about the new product, they will be more willing to give it a try themselves.

Again, this happens all the time and you're making the sponsor out to be something negative that he isn't. I promise you that you won't change a single thing with this thread (no offense, but no action will be taken, nothing will change, people will still continue to do their own thing, etc), so why continue this?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 PM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just don't get caught up in the reviews........

One of the previous owners of this site had a company called CrystalGuard........he gave out free product to some of the more vocal people of the site.......many proclaimed it (the product) was the second coming of Christ himself.

Say Good-Bye to wax today!!

https://my350z.com/forum/cleaning-an...wax-today.html
Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 PM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

haha.........memories.....

Originally Posted by 350z_tako
3. I have no idea what Rich Jerk ad is..... What is that? I have never got paid for anything like that....
^^^Comedy gold........
Old 04-08-2010, 07:03 AM
screener
Banned

Of course, it is your logic, or at least an advocate of such an idea. And you're right in that it is merely your opinion, just like mine is merely my opinion. And I also agree that if we continue this, it'll never end. So, why debate over something that won't get anywhere?

Also, the sponsor isn't paying the reviewers for their positive review. You have to understand that the discount is given so that the customer has an incentive to give a review in the first place. After all, these dyno pulls (at least 3 pre and 3 post) aren't free. Neither is the time spent on installing nor the shop's labor.

Think about how many people with mods have not gotten a single dyno pull made for baseline, pre/post mod, etc. Without that small incentive (discount), these same people will continue to not visit the dyno.

The incentive is also given so that more reviews are made at a faster rate than normal, which also leads to more sales. The sponsor knows that it works from his R/D, but people are always skeptical. When people read more and more reviews from others about the new product, they will be more willing to give it a try themselves.

Again, this happens all the time and you're making the sponsor out to be something negative that he isn't. I promise you that you won't change a single thing with this thread (no offense, but no action will be taken, nothing will change, people will still continue to do their own thing, etc), so why continue this?
Ok so maybe this is my logic, but I feel your posts are attempting to paint me as a bad person, at which I am not. As you can see by the small interest in the poll I am not alone in my logic, or at least some feel similar.

I find it some what humorous that you feel the discounts will get people to dyno. I feel this has no issue in this matter at all, I mean if people don't dyno they won't start for a discount. Friends usually get friends interested in that kind of stuff.

I don't feel our communication is going anywhere here. You are failing to see that this thread was made to see how interested members feel about reviewers getting special pricing, and the validity of the review. Thats it nothing more, but somehow we have gotten off target and are now discussing why people dyno. Yes a good review will and should have a dyno plot compared to old, if the product states it produces or frees up torque (power). I feel that if you were going to be that interested in your purchase (mod) you will be dynoing anyhow, right. Bottom line to me on the dyno debate you brought up, if you like to dyno after mods you will, if you don't you won't likely start. Unless a buddy talks you into doing it.

To address the bold highlighted typing of yours.
Why are you using singular words here. I am addressing ALL vendors here I have never singled out a vendor. Please Admin lets keep it as which it is titled. I feel you feel, you are defending a vendor here, when I am only attempting to poll the community on a topic that they might be aware of but did not have a platform (thread) to speak it. I am also not looking for action toward vendors. I am wanting some members to be aware of some of the possible bias reviews they might read, and they are easy to see, so I know most are aware. It is just a poll nothing more Admin, just being a member for the members. This thread might even help a vendor in the future.

Quick Reply: Should Vendors be giving discounted prices to testers/reviewers