MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum (https://my350z.com/forum/feedback-and-suggestions-for-our-forum-84/)
-   -   Permanent thread photos (https://my350z.com/forum/feedback-and-suggestions-for-our-forum/595667-permanent-thread-photos.html)

ryanmackk 07-11-2014 01:14 PM

Permanent thread photos

This one will take some programming but please have all photographs backed up to a local server as I've been going through some DIY threads and most of the photos have been pulled thereby making the thread rather useless. A shame really, because some people have some really great ideas.

VO... 07-11-2014 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ryanmackk (Post 10423491)
This one will take some programming but please have all photographs backed up to a local server as I've been going through some DIY threads and most of the photos have been pulled thereby making the thread rather useless. A shame really, because some people have some really great ideas.

I understand your concern. One of the best ways to ensure photos stay on our site is to upload them as attachments. But it can take time uploading, plus it looks better when the IMG is hosted as a tag. Currently we don't have a hosting system available to the public. I do know it's possible to give individuals permissions and passwords to upload directory to our server, but it's not something we practice. ..giving access to our server. I can inquire to the site owners and see if anything can be done...

Cux350z 07-11-2014 07:59 PM

Here's a suggestion for the OP.....redo the DIY with pictures loaded to the site. Use your own time/effort to take the pictures, resize, orient and upload.

:)

3hree5ive0ero 07-11-2014 10:57 PM

+1 on the above idea.

If you (anyone and everyone else) upload to our forum as attachments, the pictures will always be accessible. Most people tend to upload to an external site, such as photobucket, then link it here, unfortunately.

SR71 07-11-2014 11:07 PM

lol Im just happy this is actually a forum feedback related question and not a "what intake/wheels/lip/exhaust should I get" question.

Sometimes it's the little things. :icon17:

Cux350z 07-12-2014 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by SR71 (Post 10423637)
lol Im just happy this is actually a forum feedback related question and not a "what intake/wheels/lip/exhaust should I get" question.

Sometimes it's the little things. :icon17:

:bowrofl:

first world forum moderator problems....the struggle is real. :icon18:

ryanmackk 07-14-2014 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Cux350z (Post 10423611)
Here's a suggestion for the OP.....redo the DIY with pictures loaded to the site. Use your own time/effort to take the pictures, resize, orient and upload.

:)

I think you misunderstand... it's me not seeing OTHER peoples' pictures. As in... there is a a guy that made a thread called "DIY phone holder". I'd like to see his idea. But I can not because the pictures that he uploaded to whatever site have now been taken down.

If my350z was able to back up the photos automatically to their servers, or force people to add as attachments, the photos would forever remain viewable in the forums, instead of empty boxes that indicate the picture can't be loaded. Yeah?

Cux350z 07-14-2014 07:51 AM

Make your own phone holder and post a proper DIY. maybe?

3hree5ive0ero 07-14-2014 08:04 AM

As far as I know, there isn't anything that automatically captures an externally uploaded picture and saves it onto the forum server so that's not happening.

As for forcing people to make attachments, we can't do that without disabling vB codes or getting rid of the picture tags, which would be counter-productive.

I always upload on our forum when posting pictures but not everyone does the same (hence this thread) so I definitely understand where you're coming from. But, again, it is the members who choose whether to upload directly to our servers via attachments or do it through other methods then link here.

ryanmackk 07-14-2014 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cux350z (Post 10424496)
Make your own phone holder and post a proper DIY. maybe?

lol k. Lemme just replicate all the threads on this forum and make my own versions of everything.

ryanmackk 07-14-2014 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero (Post 10424504)
As far as I know, there isn't anything that automatically captures an externally uploaded picture and saves it onto the forum server so that's not happening.

As for forcing people to make attachments, we can't do that without disabling vB codes or getting rid of the picture tags, which would be counter-productive.

I always upload on our forum when posting pictures but not everyone does the same (hence this thread) so I definitely understand where you're coming from. But, again, it is the members who choose whether to upload directly to our servers via attachments or do it through other methods then link here.

Yeah, I know. But that's the problem I guess. I'm recommending a system that actually captures images or forces members to upload to the my350z server (while at the same time embedding the image in the thread). I think this would rid the issue. I know other forums have this capability so I was thinking maybe it would be useful on this forum also.

Junkster 07-14-2014 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by VO... (Post 10423586)
I understand your concern. One of the best ways to ensure photos stay on our site is to upload them as attachments. But it can take time uploading, plus it looks better when the IMG is hosted as a tag. Currently we don't have a hosting system available to the public. I do know it's possible to give individuals permissions and passwords to upload directory to our server, but it's not something we practice. ..giving access to our server. I can inquire to the site owners and see if anything can be done...

Is it not possible to upload images to your photoalbum and just tag them onto the thread(s) just as if they were being hosted somewhere else and being tagged??

Could have sworn that i have done that before....Then again i havent put that many images in my album, maybe the memory cap is too small for that?

VO... 07-15-2014 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Junkster (Post 10424559)
Is it not possible to upload images to your photoalbum and just tag them onto the thread(s) just as if they were being hosted somewhere else and being tagged??

Could have sworn that i have done that before....Then again i havent put that many images in my album, maybe the memory cap is too small for that?

Yeah that's currently the system we have in place. Like this pic for instance. It's hosted by Photobucket and I just copied the link, then add "[img] [/img]" tags around the link so it shows up on the forum. But if I ever decided to close my Photobucket account or rename the picture's file name, it would no longer show up here on the forum. That's what the OP is saying. He wants the forum to be the host instead of Photobucket or some other imaging website...

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...5245234323.jpg

Cux350z 07-15-2014 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by ryanmackk (Post 10424527)
lol k. Lemme just replicate all the threads on this forum and make my own versions of everything.

I would be surprised if your spoon fed butt could even do 1 DIY thread.

:icon14: