Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

IS Internet Brands selling our email addresses now????

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 09:37 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Default IS Internet Brands selling our email addresses now????

OK, just got some spam email from "My350z Sponsor" offering me the opportunity to buy a POS K&N filter. Really??? Is this cr@p in the TOS agreement? I don't recall giving this site permission to share my email address, but if I did, that permission is now rescinded.

It's bad enough that right now there are 23 trackers looking at my browser, all blocked with Ghostery.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:13 AM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

I did as well. Also got one from acurazine. Weird lol. I thought they were going to give me a k&n filter lmao
Old 12-08-2015, 10:36 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

This email was sent by:

Internet Brands, 909 N. Sepulveda Blvd. El Segundo CA, 90245, USA

You opted to receive this monthly e-mail during the Internet Brands registration process. To unsubscribe or make changes to your email subscription, use the links below.

Unsubscribe| Update Profile | Manage Subscriptions | View our privacy policy
Old 12-08-2015, 10:47 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by nizmo_0385
I did as well. Also got one from acurazine. Weird lol. I thought they were going to give me a k&n filter lmao
You don't want a sh!tty K&N filter, even for free, if you like your pistons and rings. K&N is the biggest scammer in the aftermarket auto parts business. Pure market BS at its finest, but filtration at its worst.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:48 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
This email was sent by:

Internet Brands, 909 N. Sepulveda Blvd. El Segundo CA, 90245, USA

You opted to receive this monthly e-mail during the Internet Brands registration process. To unsubscribe or make changes to your email subscription, use the links below.

Unsubscribe| Update Profile | Manage Subscriptions | View our privacy policy
I don't recalll that, but it's been a while. Thank you for the "unsubscribe" link.

EDIT: Those links you posted aren't live.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:56 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
I don't recalll that, but it's been a while. Thank you for the "unsubscribe" link.

EDIT: Those links you posted aren't live.
I just copy and pasted what was on the bottom of the email for reference. I can't post the link because it's linked directly to my email so it would not affect your subscription.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:10 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

By the spam law, they must legally include an unsubscribe link.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:29 AM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't click Unsubscribe links. It only renews your subscription to the spam by showing that your email address is active. Instead just mark the email as spam and block the sender. Your client will learn what's spam and what's not after a while.

They probably got your email through either spyware on your computer, datamining the servers or some other form of monitoring your online traffic (malicious cookies etc), via ads etc.

Try changing your internet browsing habits and you'll notice that ads on all websites change according to what websites you frequently visit, eg if you spend all day on here you'll get ads for car parts, go looking at (more) **** and you'll get ads for russian mail order brides and "Sexy singles in your area".
Spam is generated in a very similar way.

So they might not have sold your email address, you or they may just not have protected it well enough.

Last edited by The Swede; 12-09-2015 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:26 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by The Swede
Don't click Unsubscribe links. It only renews your subscription to the spam by showing that your email address is active. Instead just mark the email as spam and block the sender. Your client will learn what's spam and what's not after a while.

They probably got your email through either spyware on your computer, datamining the servers or some other form of monitoring your online traffic (malicious cookies etc), via ads etc.

Try changing your internet browsing habits and you'll notice that ads on all websites change according to what websites you frequently visit, eg if you spend all day on here you'll get ads for car parts, go looking at (more) **** and you'll get ads for russian mail order brides and "Sexy singles in your area".
Spam is generated in a very similar way.

So they might not have sold your email address, you or they may just not have protected it well enough.
See below... this specific email is not a result from spam/spyware.

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
Old 12-09-2015, 04:59 AM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by verdict.
See below... this specific email is not a result from spam/spyware.
Yeah that could be true, but it doesn't mean it's from whoever it claims to be from. Spambots are clever and almost always disguise themselves as coming from a legitimate source. I've gotten spam that was seemingly sent from my own email address to myself asking if I was interested in hooking up... with myself... #foreveralone

Regardless wether or not it's bot generated spam or an actual advertisement the rule of thumb is Don't touch anything in it.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:13 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

A second option:

Every user has the ability to go to their CP(Control Panel) and unclick the box that gives the site and its partners permission to solicit personal email inboxes...

Name:  Screenshot_2015-12-09-12-04-12_zpsjmlrustk.png
Views: 67
Size:  247.3 KB
The following users liked this post:
verdict. (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 12:54 PM
IB Jason
IB Staff

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My apologies if you received any unwanted email. I can assure you that we do not, and will not, sell your email address or profile information to any third-party. The email you received was sent by us on behalf of one of our partners. These emails can be opted out of at any time using the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of our email, or as VO... shared in his post, by going to your User CP's 'Edit Options' page and un-checking the "Receive our newsletter and special promotions from our partners" option.

Thank you!