MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   Crank Angle Sensorand Cam Angle Sensor issue is a TSB!!!!!! (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/106957-crank-angle-sensorand-cam-angle-sensor-issue-is-a-tsb.html)

MIAPLAYA 01-19-2005 05:21 PM

Crank Angle Sensorand Cam Angle Sensor issue is a TSB!!!!!!

So I was at Turbonetics today and i was talking to Brad about the crank angle sensor wire issue and what we are all doing to fix it. Well i guess he was talking to some guys from Performance Nissan not the one in Cali but the one in New York and they did some digging and found out that the Crank AND Cam angle sensor issue is the subject of a recent TSB from Nissan. He asked why no one had heard about it and they mumbled something about you know Nissan.... Anyways the good news their fix is the same as ours. A replacement shielded wire!!! For all THREE!!!! How much does this rock? So basically i'm not trying to kill what everyone is doing in the aftermarket community to fix this issue but Nissan is obligated to fix it cost free at this point which is good for everyone. i have not yet talked to my local contact for Nissan on this. Some people know him his name is Greg Vogel from Mossy. I'm going to give him a call tomorrow morning and see if he has heard anything on this but i mean if the peformance guys (again New York) say they have a TSB we should be good. Consequently Brad is having them fax the TSB to him. Once he gets it he will forward it to me and i will post it...Good news at least Nissan can pick up the tab. I just hope everyone has a mod friendly enough dealer close by that wont flip over the F/I kits and will honor the TSB..

MIAPLAYA 01-19-2005 05:28 PM

BTW can a mod stick this. I think this is important..

Philthy 01-19-2005 05:42 PM

LOL... Go firgure, I just sent my payment in on the group buy...

booger 01-19-2005 06:01 PM

I dont think the group buy will go foward if Nissan is going to come out with a TSB . 2 weeks ago I asked my dealer about one and he said he would check into it [ never got back to me ] . I think Phunk said he would need 30 people to prepay , and he hasnt got that yet .

MIAPLAYA 01-19-2005 06:17 PM

Well like I said I'm not trying to ruin what anyone is doing. Some people I'm sure will get rejected for the tSB due to mods and will need this fix one way or the other. But I figured it was important to let everyone know..

going deep 01-19-2005 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Philthy
LOL... Go firgure, I just sent my payment in on the group buy...
Me too. But, how long do you think Nissan is going to drag their feet about this? I mean, when it comes right down to it the cost of the shielded wire is very little and may prevent another engine failure which would be very expensive. I think of it as cheap insurance for whats become a very expensive forged engine.

Miaplayer, thanks for the info and please keep us updated.

westpak 01-19-2005 07:03 PM

I wouldn't hold my breadth, not knocking you MIAPLAYA you are just passing on info and it is up to us to decide but if I had a dime for every time a "dealer" said something that never materialized over the last almost 3 years regarding the Z I would have been able to pay for my TT kit.

xswl0931 01-19-2005 08:27 PM

You can see all TSBs on www.nissan-techinfo.com

schweatty 01-19-2005 08:42 PM

guys,

a heads up on TSB's. nissan is only obligated to make fixes that are TSB's if there is an existing problem. if there is no problem they probably wont swap it out. translation: "change my crank angle sensor so i can run 11 lbs of boost in my TT set-up", will not work. just a cabasas-up. not trying to piss on anyones parade here. sounds like we need a recall to force a replacement.

Sharif@Forged 01-19-2005 11:22 PM

Someone needs to confirm that this is a manditory TSB. There was a TSB on the crank angle sensor for certain 2003 models, but that was many many months ago.

Let's do some more research, and see if this is confirmed, and if peopel can just walk in a get the new shielded cable installed for free at Nissan. If that is the case, then I'll cancel the GB...no problem.

But please continue sending your payment into me, becuase until this is confirmed...its just speculation at this point.

PS: We dont need 30 people to pay, we need 30 total wires sold. Right now...we have about 15 wires sold since some people ordered two sets, etc. I have no doubt we will get the payments in to get this thing rolling. Everyone always waits till the last day...it happens all the time with the other GB's I have done.

phunk 01-20-2005 12:12 AM

Definatly lets confirm this!!!

If this is true, and its going to happen... that is awesome.

Honestly I wouldnt feel bad at all about not selling the wires... it really was just something i was doing since it was requested of me.

This could be really cool of Nissan to do, if they do it. I will see if I can find anything out.

Guys just cause Nissan wont give it to you for free doesnt mean you couldnt buy it with a part #... but this does sound a little out of the ordinary, definatly needs multiple party confirmation before anyone starts jumping up and down.

mchapman 01-20-2005 12:53 AM

Even if it isnt a manditory TSB, you can still purchase the cable from Nissan and use it instead of having to make one.

EDIT: Just saw the last sentence of phunk's post.

GrYpS 01-20-2005 08:17 AM

Is this it?

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/TSB/Jan/54434.asp

phunk 01-20-2005 08:45 AM

that appears to be the older TSB for the sensors... a lot of cars were under recall for the sensors themselves.

sentry65 01-20-2005 09:02 AM

hope this is true!!!!

My car is misfiring and no one knows what is causing it

my local nissan dealers near me aren't the brightest and I know they'll give me crap unless I have a TSB number since my car is pretty modded.

I just got off the phone with corp nissan and they have no clue what this TSB is

I'm curious what it would cost just to have the crank sensor and wiring replaced if there is no TSB...

Sharif@Forged 01-20-2005 09:50 AM

Yeah, that was the old one. Unless there is a brand new TSB, nothing has changed.

accordfreak 01-20-2005 12:41 PM

my service engine soon light came on the other day and now it turned off..i'm also having a slight rough idle at times.. I have a g35 btw .. so would these wires be the problem?

Jeff@Performance 01-20-2005 02:47 PM

Anything is possible.... but I checked with my contact at Nissan and he is unaware of anything about this. If someone gets something concrete before us.... please forward me the info so I can get you local people taken care of. I'll keep looking.

MIAPLAYA 01-20-2005 03:12 PM

I'm going to give Brad a call again and see if he recieved the TSB fax yet. I know he said he was going out of town so he may have already left..I'm still going to buy this fix from phunk to be safe but I see what I can find out.

keeptrying 01-20-2005 05:33 PM

I took my car to the Mossy Oceanside dealer last week with the print out from the Nissan News Website and the service rep totally blew me off. He indicated the only car this is applicable to is the Sentra. I could tell by his body language he didn't know what he was talking about. The Nissan website clearly indicates this issue has affected a large number of vehicles. Link and comments below. I'm going to call the number listed below tomorrow. Another souce has indicated it affected vehicles in the 2003 range as well.

Engine Sensors Replacement Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign [Oct. 30, 03]

Background
Nissan/Infiniti will be conducting a voluntary safety recall campaign for engine sensors on certain model year vehicles.

Reason for Action
Vehicles are being recalled for replacement of the engine crank position and cam position sensors. Improper operation of the sensors could cause the engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) to illuminate; create a no-start condition or reduced engine power; or cause the engine to stop running without warning during vehicle operation. To this date, no accidents or injuries have occurred.

Nissan Action
To correct this condition, at no charge to the customer, the engine crank position and cam position sensors will be replaced.

Nissan/Infiniti plan to begin notifying owners of potentially affected vehicles in December requesting them to bring their vehicle to a Nissan/Infiniti dealer. In addition to direct customer contact (via mail), Nissan will post recall information on the www.nissanusa.com Web site at the same time owner letters are mailed.

Statement
"Nissan North America is conducting a voluntary safety recall of approximately 790,000 Nissan and Infiniti vehicles to replace the engine crank position and cam position sensors. On certain vehicles manufactured from January 2000 through July 2002, the sensors may not operate properly and could cause the engine malfunction lamp to illuminate; create a no-start condition or reduced engine power; or cause the engine to stop running without warning during vehicle operation. To this date, no accidents or injuries have occurred. To correct this condition, the engine crank position and cam position sensors will be replaced at no charge to the customer. Nissan and Infiniti are committed to a high level of customer safety and service and will be working with its dealers to promptly address this condition. Customers will be notified by mail if their vehicle is affected by this recall."

Please direct any media inquiries to Eric Booth, Nissan Corporate Communications, 310-771-3014.

http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/...30102125.shtml