Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

whitish smoke at cold start up only

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 09:26 PM
amai21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whitish smoke at cold start up only

For the last couple of weeks I have noticed that during the cold start up there is white smoke that comes out for a few seconds. After the engine is warmed up and I rev there is no smoke wat so ever. There is also no smoke while iam driving either. What is this, and should I be worried about it? I have the vortech superchager and it has been dyno tuned.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:35 PM
amai21

Can I please get some inputs?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:58 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cold start cycle in the ECU causes your A/F to go on the extreme side of rich even at idle when coolant temps are very low. This is probably the smoke you are seeing and/or evaporating condensation. If you take a smell of it you should find that it smells like fuel... if it smells like oil then you may have a problem... but I dont believe you will find that.

In other words... its typically normal to notice some slight whiteish "smoke" in the exhaust during cold start... without seeing it with my own eyes i cant tell you if you have an abnormal ammount or just standard of what you would find with any car.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:41 PM
amai21

Originally posted by phunk
cold start cycle in the ECU causes your A/F to go on the extreme side of rich even at idle when coolant temps are very low. This is probably the smoke you are seeing and/or evaporating condensation. If you take a smell of it you should find that it smells like fuel... if it smells like oil then you may have a problem... but I dont believe you will find that.

In other words... its typically normal to notice some slight whiteish "smoke" in the exhaust during cold start... without seeing it with my own eyes i cant tell you if you have an abnormal ammount or just standard of what you would find with any car.
Yes definitely it smells like fuel. Thank you very much for your help.