MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   APS TT w/ smoke (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/125968-aps-tt-w-smoke.html)

narkotic 06-03-2005 02:12 PM

Thank you Mark, I will let it idle for a few more days to see if it clears up (the installer stated that this has happened on each install and goes away after a few days), then I will try your solution.

G3po 06-03-2005 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by narkotic
What would be the easiest way to suck out .5 quarts? Some sort of sucking device through the oil refill port up top?

Yes, I have added a piece of hard nylon line to my fluid sucker before to do this thru the dipstick tube. Also I use Fumoto valves (on all my cars) they make clean changing and accurate drawing of crank oil really easy.

I think APS needs to consider a new "longer" dipstick with the kit , recommending a "magic level" is a little incomplete , considering the "completeness" platform that APS sells the kit upon . IMO

narkotic 06-03-2005 02:28 PM

Agreed. I just checked my oil and it looks to be halfway between L and H. Not sure if that is indicitave of "Add".

So even if the car had a bad ring or two, would it still give me lots of power like it does?

G3po 06-03-2005 02:39 PM

Agreed. I just checked my oil and it looks to be halfway between L and H. Not sure if that is indicitave of "Add".

So even if the car had a bad ring or two, would it still give me lots of power like it does?

Yes. could have leaky oil / compression rings or both. Honestly , with the off throttle smoking you have, I wouldn't suspect rings first. If you actually have a bad oil ring you may could see normal or higher than normal leak down. Oil in the chamber can improve compression ring sealing.

a) the issue mentioned by your shop
b) the turbo oil seal(s) , could be caused by temporary drainage issues or an actual bad seal. I high pan level can block the turbo drain ports and cause build up which pushes oil thru the bearing seal.
c) an intake valve seal, generally manifests smoke going off throttle (high vac state)..
d) a PCV or blow by issue( could be a ring issue). You'd note excessive oil residue in the TB or plenum.

IMO

narkotic 06-03-2005 03:06 PM

Ah, that makes sense. If my oil level is too high it will block the drainage inlets therefore causing a backup of oil to the turbo. I was wondering why that was. Would you suggest removing .5 quarts of oil this weekend for the hell of it?

G3po 06-03-2005 03:11 PM

Ah, that makes sense. If my oil level is too high it will block the drainage inlets therefore causing a backup of oil to the turbo. I was wondering why that was. Would you suggest removing .5 quarts of oil this weekend for the hell of it?

Yep , it's a gravity drain system , an there isn't much vertical drop.
Maybe you should just wait and drive a week to see how it changes.
After that if it is same or worse , I'd drop the level to the bottom of add.

captj3 06-03-2005 03:15 PM

I have APS TT if your oil level is between the L and H it's to high.The right mark is L on the dip stick

taurran 06-03-2005 03:24 PM

Today during my Turbonetics install, we found oil above the threads on the far back driver's side plug. So far nothing has been done to the valve cover gasket. I guess if we notice smoke I will know what to look for. I'll keep an eye out for smoke when we dyno tomorrow and I take the car home.

narkotic 06-03-2005 03:41 PM

Awesome. I'm going to guess they put too much oil in. I will try to extract 1/2 a quart to a quart and see how it goes. Thanks alot guys!

I will be at the stillen meet tomorrow if anyone is interested in meeting up.

Sharif@Forged 06-03-2005 04:07 PM

I wonder when Peter will chime in with his response...until then..here goes. :)

There have been a few cases of smoking turbos on the APS kits. Some of the tricks are to make sure your oil level is actually a little bit on the low side..this works for some people. Peter has posted that the oil drains have to be properly trimmed to avoid kinking...so that is another place to check.

I also feel this has nothing to do with your compression rings, or the engine internals for that matter. The car started smoking right after the APS install, so it has something to do with the install, or the turbos. A while back, Godzilla had a couple customers with leaky turbos, but nobody ever investigated, becuase Peter claimed it was an installation error, and Godzilla didnt want to wait 2 months to ship the turbos back to AU for inspection.

The oil on the top of you spark plug, is just an indication of some oil leaking past the valve cover seals...where the spark plug holes make contact. This happens a lot with forced induction, and high positive crankcase pressures.....nothing really to worry about if its just a little bit of oil. otherwise, pop off the valve covers and change the valve cover gasket and seals. This is not a cause of the smoke, since this oil never makes its way back to the combustion chamber. Now, the blow buy is another story, becuase that does make its way back, unless you have a catch can. But I doubt there would be enough oil to cause smoke at idle and low RPM decel.

Thats my opinion...now I will sit back and let Peter pick it apart. :)

westpak 06-03-2005 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by g356gear
........ Compression should still be in the 180-190 range if I remember correctly.

Yeap, the manual says standard is 185 with minimum being 142 and max difference between cylinders 14. I just did mine a couple of days ago after 32k miles 12k with Greddy TT and they all read between 180-190

APS 06-03-2005 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by tonio
I get the same thing with my APS kit as far as the idle, matter of fact the first time it cut right off and continued to do so. After driving last night it seems to fire right up though.

Check to see if the throttle position swith has been reset, if you disconect the wiring harness from the TB there is a procedure to reset sensor, if not the engine may have a rougher idle than normal.

Peter

APS 06-03-2005 05:18 PM

It's a good amount of smoke during a stop. I asked for a compression test by the installer but he figured it wasn't necessary.

Better to have a cyl leak down test conducted - this shows any ring and valve leakage.

Peter

Sharif@Forged 06-03-2005 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by APS
Better to have a cyl leak down test conducted - this shows any ring and valve leakage.

Peter

If there was no smoke prior to install, and now, immediately after install, there is smoke at idle..and in particular, after free reving the car, the chances of this being spontaneous ring damage is very slim...IMHO.

Can you pull the test pipe/downpipe off and check for oil in the exhuast housing?

APS 06-03-2005 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by gq_626
Peter has posted that the oil drains have to be properly trimmed to avoid kinking...so that is another place to check.

Correct, there have been a number of bulletins sent out to APS dealers on this exact issue, the drain hoses need to be installed and trimmed to ensure the oil will drain quickly enough to the oil pan - other wise this could cause a build up of excess engine oil at the turbochargers.

I also feel this has nothing to do with your compression rings, or the engine internals for that matter.

Maybe or mayne not. I've been around engines too long to say to make an absolute stement like that. First thing I would do is a cyl leak down test, if the engine had high cyl leakage (hence high crankcase pressure) this may well be the cause or part of the cause of the issue, hope this helps. :cool:

Thanks

Peter

G3po 06-03-2005 06:56 PM

I wonder when Peter will chime in with his response...until then..here goes. :)

There have been a few cases of smoking turbos on the APS kits. Some of the tricks are to make sure your oil level is actually a little bit on the low side..this works for some people. Peter has posted that the oil drains have to be properly trimmed to avoid kinking...so that is another place to check.

I also feel this has nothing to do with your compression rings, or the engine internals for that matter. The car started smoking right after the APS install, so it has something to do with the install, or the turbos. A while back, Godzilla had a couple customers with leaky turbos, but nobody ever investigated, becuase Peter claimed it was an installation error, and Godzilla didnt want to wait 2 months to ship the turbos back to AU for inspection.

The oil on the top of you spark plug, is just an indication of some oil leaking past the valve cover seals...where the spark plug holes make contact. This happens a lot with forced induction, and high positive crankcase pressures.....nothing really to worry about if its just a little bit of oil. otherwise, pop off the valve covers and change the valve cover gasket and seals. This is not a cause of the smoke, since this oil never makes its way back to the combustion chamber. Now, the blow buy is another story, becuase that does make its way back, unless you have a catch can. But I doubt there would be enough oil to cause smoke at idle and low RPM decel.

Thats my opinion...now I will sit back and let Peter pick it apart. :)

I think we are generally on the same page on these points. Ring leakage , though certainly possible aren't at the top of my list given the recent installation scenario.

G3po 06-03-2005 06:59 PM

If there was no smoke prior to install, and now, immediately after install, there is smoke at idle..and in particular, after free reving the car, the chances of this being spontaneous ring damage is very slim...IMHO.

Can you pull the test pipe/downpipe off and check for oil in the exhuast housing?

good point , it would also maybe tell you which bank (most likely one side more than the other) had the iissue.

failsafe306 06-03-2005 07:42 PM

d) a PCV or blow by issue( could be a ring issue). You'd note excessive oil residue in the TB or plenum.
I noticed this when I did my install :(

What should I do? My turbo smokes too, except it's black puffs on decel.

phunk 06-03-2005 08:35 PM

smoke if you gottem.

g356gear 06-03-2005 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by G3po
I think we are generally on the same page on these points. Ring leakage , though certainly possible aren't at the top of my list given the recent installation scenario.

If an engine is not putting out smoke under power and only under deceleration then how do you explain engine oil getting into the combustion chamber only under vacuum. It has to be either valve stem seals or rings. If it was a restricted oil drain then you would expect the oil to back up on the turbo seal under higher rpm and oil pressure and get past the seal and create smoke under power....usually as a large puff. Being that this is not the case from the description of the problem given I do not believe it is the turbo seal.
My 2c.