Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

A Remote Mount Turbo For 350z

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:58 AM
atlsupdawg#2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you're replacing the muffler, how much louder would this system be compared to traditional mounting and no muffler? Corky Bell put together a system similar in design on an NSX.. Albeit he was using the Aerodyne turbos that had VTV's (variable turbine vanes)..

Anyway, I can see this system being a TAD bit laggier than the traditional ones, but remember that as you start boosting exhaust pressure is usually 2-3 times greater than intake pressure. Like MRC said it'll probably take fraction of a second for that pressure to hit the turbo.

I think most people are turned off because it's a non-traditional way of mounting turbos.

LOL..God forbid the emissions inspector sticks one of those sniffers in your exhaust pipe. The dude will get a nice surprise..

Last edited by atlsupdawg#2; 01-12-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:41 PM
CpraceZ

There kits are awsome on the GMs looking forward to seeing this kit out
Old 01-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry charles, i had to btw, interesting turbo concept...

Zquicksilver
Old 01-12-2006, 05:37 PM
silent_26

Default very well said....

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
We have seen quite a few of these kits at the track and they perform very well actually.The cost of one of these kits is average $3000 for a domestic application, and increases the hp by 60%!!!We actually have read some good reviews on these systems.
The whole concept of putting the turbo system under the rear of the car seems a bit akward to most,however it does provide for a cooler engine bay,since you do not have the heat of the turbo crammed into an already crammed engine bay. The spool up and lag is not all that noticable on these systems believe it or not. The Turbo actually mounts where your muffler mounts, and last time I checked the exhaust gasses reach your muffler in a fraction of a second not a week..lol
In theory they work and they have been pretty sucessful in the big V8 and deisel market.We are very interested to see what they do in the v6 market..
What alot of people dont understand is that this system actually does work,it might not be pretty or blingy,but it does work..We have seen some VERY fast Camaros and Vettes at the track sporting this system..Go talk to them about turbo lag..
I think by the time you facter in all the intricate piping and bends the exhaust gasses have to flow through on an APS or TN single kit to go from the manifold to the intercooler then to the turbo, you may actually be pretty close in the actual length and volume of piping the charge has to flow through,before it spools and reaches the motor.So actually you may wind up with similar if not better spool up response..Theoredically..

WWW.RACEMRC.COM
For your 350z/G35 performance needs.
Authorized Turbo XS UTEC distributors
Authorized Dyno Dynamics load based tunning facility comming 3/06!!
Authorizes Greddy Dealer/Installer
Authorized GTSPEC dealer
Authorized Unlimited Tuning Revolution dealer
Authorized Speed Force Racing Dealer

Email: Sales@racemrc.com
AIM: salesmrc
Phone: 732-251-8200
Mobile: 732-558-4560
MRC MOTORSPORTS
116 Main St.
Spotswood NJ 08884

i personally this you said everything i wanted to say! thanks

Last edited by silent_26; 01-12-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:37 PM
silent_26

Default very well said....

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
We have seen quite a few of these kits at the track and they perform very well actually.The cost of one of these kits is average $3000 for a domestic application, and increases the hp by 60%!!!We actually have read some good reviews on these systems.
The whole concept of putting the turbo system under the rear of the car seems a bit akward to most,however it does provide for a cooler engine bay,since you do not have the heat of the turbo crammed into an already crammed engine bay. The spool up and lag is not all that noticable on these systems believe it or not. The Turbo actually mounts where your muffler mounts, and last time I checked the exhaust gasses reach your muffler in a fraction of a second not a week..lol
In theory they work and they have been pretty sucessful in the big V8 and deisel market.We are very interested to see what they do in the v6 market..
What alot of people dont understand is that this system actually does work,it might not be pretty or blingy,but it does work..We have seen some VERY fast Camaros and Vettes at the track sporting this system..Go talk to them about turbo lag..
I think by the time you facter in all the intricate piping and bends the exhaust gasses have to flow through on an APS or TN single kit to go from the manifold to the intercooler then to the turbo, you may actually be pretty close in the actual length and volume of piping the charge has to flow through,before it spools and reaches the motor.So actually you may wind up with similar if not better spool up response..Theoredically..

WWW.RACEMRC.COM
For your 350z/G35 performance needs.
Authorized Turbo XS UTEC distributors
Authorized Dyno Dynamics load based tunning facility comming 3/06!!
Authorizes Greddy Dealer/Installer
Authorized GTSPEC dealer
Authorized Unlimited Tuning Revolution dealer
Authorized Speed Force Racing Dealer

Email: Sales@racemrc.com
AIM: salesmrc
Phone: 732-251-8200
Mobile: 732-558-4560
MRC MOTORSPORTS
116 Main St.
Spotswood NJ 08884

i personally think you said everything i wanted to say! thanks

Last edited by silent_26; 01-12-2006 at 05:40 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 01-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daytona350Texas
i didnt remember i got it from you... i thought it was one off of the clear corners site, either way if u want me to take it off i will np

Hah, np I was just wondering. I saw it and my face went
Old 01-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Daytona350Texas

haha sorryz, i thought it looked really good so it stuck, and besides it looks exactly like how mine does right now with ares leds in so a least im not a poser
Old 01-13-2006, 07:57 AM
CpraceZ

Doing a kit on a Mustang here in the next few weeks I will let you all know how it goes
Old 01-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Dragonacc

Originally Posted by chimmike
no, you're right, the turbos do get wet, dirty, and don't last as long as they would under the hood, because they're directly exposed to the elements (turbos aren't meant to be exposed directly like that, btw)

That's terrible... I guess it wouldn't be a problem on a weekend cruiser, but on a daily driver this seems like a bad idea...
Old 01-13-2006, 08:44 AM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at the drag strip last weekend and there was a Silverado, probably early 2000s model, running an STS turbo and he ran a 12.2. I dont know what his trap speed was. I am not saying i would get one, but I have seen one and it was fast in the 1/4. Hell, Im blown and am not even hitting the 12s yet.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Dragonacc

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
I was at the drag strip last weekend and there was a Silverado, probably early 2000s model, running an STS turbo and he ran a 12.2. I dont know what his trap speed was. I am not saying i would get one, but I have seen one and it was fast in the 1/4. Hell, Im blown and am not even hitting the 12s yet.

It's even worse when you see F350s pulling 11s. Those big diesels can really move when you start upgrading them.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:40 AM
EM-EFER

Well I spoke to brandon from STS today.. really nice guy and a Z owner
Heres some of the things he had to say..

-They are looking at UTEC as possible engine management depending on what they can work out
-They have already Fabbed all the piping for the IC/Intake
-Plans on releasing the kit June/July
-They already have test vehicles
-The kit with engine management will run in the realm of the 4k's
-Looking at single turbo and 60-1 option
-Possibly releasing a TT like the jim wolf setup late summer EST.6900 with everything to bolt on and go
-Plans on coming on to the board as an sponsor very soon
-Will keep us updated as they keep testing their ST
Old 01-13-2006, 10:57 AM
jeffw

They'll have to be considerably cheaper than conventional ST turbo kits if they want to sell any. $4k seems too high, especially when you're not getting an FMI.
--
Jeff
Old 01-13-2006, 11:28 AM
CpraceZ

Just so everyone knows for future reference once these kits do release we are dealers for STS these guys make great products and have awesome customer service. So if anyone has any questions feel free to give us a shout.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by lukesnyder
Well I spoke to brandon from STS today.. really nice guy and a Z owner
Heres some of the things he had to say..

-They are looking at UTEC as possible engine management depending on what they can work out
-They have already Fabbed all the piping for the IC/Intake
-Plans on releasing the kit June/July
-They already have test vehicles
-The kit with engine management will run in the realm of the 4k's
-Looking at single turbo and 60-1 option
-Possibly releasing a TT like the jim wolf setup late summer EST.6900 with everything to bolt on and go
-Plans on coming on to the board as an sponsor very soon
-Will keep us updated as they keep testing their ST
Ask Brandon where they got the idea of using the UTEC from?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by chimmike
1) Fit that under a Z, and one of the first few people with the kit will bottom out somewhere and eff it all up.
When was the last time you heard someone bottoming out their exhaust?

I remember when STS posted here awhile ago and everyone was bashing them how it was a ridiculous idea. It looks like now a lot more people are more open to the idea of a remote-mounted turbo.

The main concern would be the life of the turbo, being exposed under the car. If their is a (optional) cover that would block the turbo from getting wet/etc, then it would be better, but how can it remain covered and kept cool at the same time...
Old 01-13-2006, 02:02 PM
CpraceZ

I don't think a lot of people realize how successful STS has been in the LS1 world with these kits, and yes these cars make power!! Give them a chance I am sure the kit will make some impressive numbers
Old 01-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Dragonacc

Originally Posted by CpraceZ
I don't think a lot of people realize how successful STS has been in the LS1 world with these kits, and yes these cars make power!! Give them a chance I am sure the kit will make some impressive numbers

I have no doubt that these kits can make power successfully. I do have a couple of concerns though.

1) I want to know about turbo lag. An LS1 is a 5.7L engine, that engine will be able to spin two turbos way down stream much easier than a 3.5 V6. One solution is to use smaller turbos, but this would limit the maximum horsepower the kit could produce. I suppose the other option would be to use a single turbo, but that's not really ideal either.

2) I'd like to know about the longevity of the turbos. I'd like to know how well the oil flows to the turbos with such long lines being neccessary. Also, are the turbos watercooled? Those lines would also be very long. Finally I still want to know what someone would do about protecting the turbos and the air filters from the elements.

I'm not trying to bash STS or their products, I'd just like to know how these issues are dealt with.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Daytona350Texas

im still curious about the spool, call me a newb but i love spool and blowoff... it sounds like in the videos almost like a supercharger that never stops whining, and i hate that...
Old 01-13-2006, 10:07 PM
BobaFettm

my buddy has one on his WS6 too... loves it... sure made it fast!

Quick Reply: A Remote Mount Turbo For 350z