Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Just Blew My Stock Motor With APS TT!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phunk
ehh... thats not so bad, but i dont like taking out the crossmember or even disconnecting the steering shaft. it only takes about 30 min to pull the radiator support, front bumper, and headlights. I go out the front with absolutely EVERYTHING... oh did i mention you dont even have to unbolt the driveshaft (not that that takes long)?

Edit: I think I did pull one wastegate off for this, but i cant remember if that was required or if i did that for another reason.
To each his own, I suppose. If you are faster a different way, thats cool. For the record, taking off the crossmember takes about 2mins with an impact gun, and the steering shaft takes about 1 min...well, you have to paint a mark on it..so maybe add 2 mins. :thumbup.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:36 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
To each his own, I suppose. If you are faster a different way, thats cool. For the record, taking off the crossmember takes about 2mins with an impact gun, and the steering shaft takes about 1 min...well, you have to paint a mark on it..so maybe add 2 mins. :thumbup.
But what about those of us not blessed to have a lift in our garage? It's front or top for us lowly peasants

I suppose, if you could get the car up high enough on jackstands, it just may work from out the bottom
Old 04-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by zman1910
No offense to GRD but they have only done a few builds. If it was my money I'd truck the car down to my desired shop (SGP) and have them do it. SGP would be my choice in your case since they also know the APS TT setup well enough to get it back together properly. Than again GRD is right there and has had good success and if anything happened you'd know where to go.

Basically, I just changed my answer twice in one paragraph. I feel your pain Brian. Maybe just purchase the motor from SGP and have GRD install it. We all know the horrors of that from Failsafe's story... It's hard even thinking about what to do.

Let GRD know what happened and see what they say. Maybe they can cut you a break...

Talk to Zivman about his engine building experience with GRD...
GRD has done a few builds - mine might have been the 3rd or 4th. I know I talked to Tom (zippycar) before I had them do mine. He tracks his car just about every weekend without issue. He was happy with their work, and at this point so am I. Motor is going strong.

I wouldn't have GRD install an SGP motor. If you want an SGP motor, have SGP do it, if you want a GRD motor, have GRD do it. Personally if you already have a relationship with a shop and you are happy with their work, I would at least give them a ring and get a quote.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Gman2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
I wouldn't have GRD install an SGP motor. If you want an SGP motor, have SGP do it, if you want a GRD motor, have GRD do it.
Can you elaborate on this? I am curious as to why you feel this way....
Old 04-18-2006, 03:40 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Can you elaborate on this? I am curious as to why you feel this way....
+1 on that. I'm a big supporter of GRD and the work they do, but they really don't offer any engine packages. So that leaves either myself or them to order all the parts needed for a built and then the wait time on all that. If there are ready-built longblocks that are proven sitting there nearly ready to ship, I would see no issue with ordering a longblock and having a shop like GRD close to me install it.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
+1 on that. I'm a big supporter of GRD and the work they do, but they really don't offer any engine packages. So that leaves either myself or them to order all the parts needed for a built and then the wait time on all that. If there are ready-built longblocks that are proven sitting there nearly ready to ship, I would see no issue with ordering a longblock and having a shop like GRD close to me install it.
When I had GRD do my motor, it took 2 days for them to get all the parts. Actually, the only thing they waited on was the eagle rods and my spec clutch (I think they had pauters instock). I had a bit of waiting to do for other things, but my motor was done in a timely fashion.

Now also take into account if you have issue. Is GRD going to stand behind an SGP block? Is SGP going to stand behind GRD's work. In the long run, I think it is best to have one shop do it all.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:52 PM
failsafe306

In the long run, I think it is best to have one shop do it all.
I agree
Old 04-18-2006, 04:06 PM
PumpedVA

WOW that was alot of reading. I have allways kept track of blown motor post so just wanted to say sorry for your lose. I just dumped my motor last weekend with my HKS SC and I am only runing 350whp at 6.5psi. Just had JWT cams installed and only had my car back for a few weeks. Funny I never hit the rev limiter and tacked 8k+ a few times without noticing to I looked down. So while I was driving hard I was shifting like allways and after 30k plus miles on the car (not on the FI) Its hard to remember you are not hitting the REV limiter. So my best guess is over reving and BAM there went my rings.

Right before shows I have been moding all winter for. HIN in DC and NC nopi in MD and my first photo shoot.

Sorry just pretty PO'ed right now about this . Keep me posted on your build and plans bro and best of luck. My rebuild starts next week.

Last edited by PumpedVA; 04-18-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:12 PM
roncfpz

Originally Posted by PumpedVA
WOW that was alot of reading. I have allways kept track of blown motor post so just wanted to say sorry for your lose. I just dumped my motor last weekend with my HKS SC and I am only runing 350whp at 6.5psi. Just had JWT cams installed and only had my car back for a few weeks. Funny I never hit the rev limiter and tacked 8k+ a few times without noticing to I looked down. So while I was driving hard I was shifting like allways and after 30k plus miles on the car (not on the FI) Its hard to remember you are not hitting the REV limiter. So my best guess is over reving and BAM there went my rings.

Right before shows I have been moding all winter for. HIN in DC and NC nopi in MD and my first photo shoot.

Sorry just pretty PO'ed right now about this . Keep me posted on your build and plans bro and best of luck. My rebuild starts next week.
Damn, feels like the f**king morgue around here now. Very sorry to hear about yours also PumpedVA.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:13 PM
PumpedVA

Thanks bro but really looking forward to my build. Going to keep my HKS though.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by failsafe306
But what about those of us not blessed to have a lift in our garage? It's front or top for us lowly peasants

I suppose, if you could get the car up high enough on jackstands, it just may work from out the bottom
ROFL! You are absolutely correct.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by roncfpz
Damn, feels like the f**king morgue around here now.
So true Ron. It's been a while since we see so many motors go at the same time

Originally Posted by roncfpz
Very sorry to hear about yours also PumpedVA.
+1. Good luck on the build.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:04 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Ship to SGP, and have them install and tune a UTEC or FCON, then fly down to pick it up. You WON'T be disappointed. BTW, I think I may have an exhaust manifold or manifold to turbo leak . I thought it was my exhaust, but the guys at SGP looked it over completely and said my problem was most likely PRE-turbo. Awesome. Oh, and my fuel rails were hacked up, and tearing up my o-rings causing a massive fuel leak after the new injectors were installed, and also my FPR wasn't working correctly. To name a few reasons to go with SGP.....
The only issue I have with SGP or BuiltZ is what if I have problems with the motor? It's under warranty for a year but I'm all the way up in Ohio.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:09 AM
BrianLG35C

GRD has done a few builds - mine might have been the 3rd or 4th. I know I talked to Tom (zippycar) before I had them do mine. He tracks his car just about every weekend without issue. He was happy with their work, and at this point so am I. Motor is going strong.

I wouldn't have GRD install an SGP motor. If you want an SGP motor, have SGP do it, if you want a GRD motor, have GRD do it. Personally if you already have a relationship with a shop and you are happy with their work, I would at least give them a ring and get a quote.
I hear and agree. Irshad from GRD has already called me to offer help. I want to make the right decision the first time. Irshad recommends just going with a short block setup for my hp goals but I'm getting a lot of advice to go long for better reliability.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:17 AM
BrianLG35C

I agree, GRD is offering a one year warranty as well as SGP, but obviously I must take it back to the original builder for it to be covered. GRD is lot closer but I'm not sure about the quality of their finished block. I was very happy with their TT install but this is obviously more complex. I'm not as stressed as I was a few days ago about this whole thing, so I'm in no rush to decide where to go.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:21 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by PumpedVA

Another blown motor? On a HKS supercharger?? I wouldn't have expected that, especially with lower whp and boost. Thanks and the best of luck with your build as well.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:34 AM
PumpedVA

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
Another blown motor? On a HKS supercharger?? I wouldn't have expected that, especially with lower whp and boost. Thanks and the best of luck with your build as well.

that was my thoughts
Old 04-19-2006, 06:34 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
Overrevving will blow up any motor eventually, boosted or not.

You didn't misshift (example: go into second when you're trying to go into 4th) at all recently did you??
Old 04-19-2006, 06:48 AM
BrianLG35C

You didn't misshift (example: go into second when you're trying to go into 4th) at all recently did you??
No, but since last August I've bounced off the limiter maybe twice in 1st or 2nd. I'd loose traction and revs would climb too fast to let off in time.

Last edited by BrianLG35C; 04-19-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:54 AM
PumpedVA

If your talking about me I have a AT so no missshift here. I never bounced off anything use to hit it about 7400

Quick Reply: Just Blew My Stock Motor With APS TT!!