Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Just Blew My Stock Motor With APS TT!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 AM
tig488

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so is it bad to hit the limiter, i hit mine daily. some people say it doesnt hurt while others say it does.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:11 AM
bacalhau16

i can't say its good to do, but in an N/A car, i just thought it was fuel cut an really didnt do much harm.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
The only issue I have with SGP or BuiltZ is what if I have problems with the motor? It's under warranty for a year but I'm all the way up in Ohio.
Take the warranty with a grain of salt. It only covers defective parts. Which if your motor goes again it most like won't be cause of defective part. It happened to me.....built motor going poof that is.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:05 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Take the warranty with a grain of salt. It only covers defective parts. Which if your motor goes again it most like won't be cause of defective part. It happened to me.....built motor going poof that is.
Thanks Jorge, I was finally trying to narrow down my choices.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:00 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PumpedVA
If your talking about me I have a AT so no missshift here. I never bounced off anything use to hit it about 7400

7400rpm under boost on a stock motor...there's your problem. The stock rod bolts won't be too happy with that rpm very long.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:01 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by tig488
so is it bad to hit the limiter, i hit mine daily. some people say it doesnt hurt while others say it does.

It's not bad to hit it...It's a combo fuel/spark cut (depending on the situation). It's there to help you..not to hurt you. Overrevving and banging the rev limter are two competely different things.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:43 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
It's not bad to hit it...It's a combo fuel/spark cut (depending on the situation). It's there to help you..not to hurt you. Overrevving and banging the rev limter are two competely different things.
I didn't think hitting the rev limiter was the problem but I was starting to get little nervous.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:35 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I didn't think hitting the rev limiter was the problem but I was starting to get little nervous.
what EMU are you using?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:36 AM
maximumsportZ

Well I have the TS Lspec flash which lifts the limit to 7100, not that I plan on shifting there on WOT especially on this stock block, just more for safety so I dont bang on the limiter.

Last night I was messing around from a dig WOT in 1st gear it got up there so quick I couldn't react and didnt shift until it hit 7000 then I heard a loud pop from exhaust, scared the crap out of me must of backfired.

It sounded awesome, but not something I will not do again.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:37 AM
doug

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
Well I have the TS Lspec flash which lifts the limit to 7100, not that I plan on shifting there on WOT especially on this stock block, just more for safety so I dont bang on the limiter.

Last night I was messing around from a dig WOT in 1st gear it got up there so quick I couldn't react and didnt shift until it hit 7000 then I heard a loud pop from exhaust, scared the crap out of me must of backfired.

puss.. you better get to waxing the corrola
Old 04-19-2006, 11:38 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

My car pops and shoots flames on about 10% of all WOT upshifts...it's because the AFR is so rich and some raw fuel gets into the exhaust and ignites. Nothing to worry about.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:45 AM
maximumsportZ

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
My car pops and shoots flames on about 10% of all WOT upshifts...it's because the AFR is so rich and some raw fuel gets into the exhaust and ignites. Nothing to worry about.
Ha yup, if you saw that video of me vs TN You can tell when I upshift all the unburnt fuel is released.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:56 AM
doug

Ha yup, if you saw that video of me vs TN You can tell when I upshift all the unburnt fuel is released.
and here i was thinking its the beans you had for lunch
Old 04-19-2006, 12:15 PM
zman1910

I agree, GRD is offering a one year warranty as well as SGP, but obviously I must take it back to the original builder for it to be covered. GRD is lot closer but I'm not sure about the quality of their finished block. I was very happy with their TT install but this is obviously more complex. I'm not as stressed as I was a few days ago about this whole thing, so I'm in no rush to decide where to go.

I personally think going to GRD is your best bet. It makes the most sense at least. They are close to you and have done a few builds now. Zivman doesn't have any issues nor does Zippycar. Irshad also offered you a 1 year warranty. If anything goes wrong it will most likely be within that first year. I know that SGP also offers an extended 3 year warranty .... maybe GRD can offer you something like this as well. Just some stuff to ask about.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to be near the shop that does your install. In this case the turbo needs to be removed and put back together and the engine as well. The question seems to answer itself after all things are considered. It may not seem like a big deal now but it will make your life much much easier to have everything done local. IMO a 2 or 3 year warranty would be perfect.

If you get the engine from SGP, have GRD tune and install it, and something happens...SGP can say the tune was an issue or it was not installed correctly. If you get everything done at GRD..Tuan and Irshad will stand behind their work, considering he is the best unichip tuner in the midwest. Get my drift....

Once again good luck with the decision Brian....hope you come to a conclusion you are happy with.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by zman1910
I personally think going to GRD is your best bet. It makes the most sense at least. They are close to you and have done a few builds now. Zivman doesn't have any issues nor does Zippycar. Irshad also offered you a 1 year warranty. If anything goes wrong it will most likely be within that first year. I know that SGP also offers an extended 3 year warranty .... maybe GRD can offer you something like this as well. Just some stuff to ask about.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to be near the shop that does your install. In this case the turbo needs to be removed and put back together and the engine as well. The question seems to answer itself after all things are considered. It may not seem like a big deal now but it will make your life much much easier to have everything done local. IMO a 2 or 3 year warranty would be perfect.

If you get the engine from SGP, have GRD tune and install it, and something happens...SGP can say the tune was an issue or it was not installed correctly. If you get everything done at GRD..Tuan and Irshad will stand behind their work, considering he is the best unichip tuner in the midwest. Get my drift....

Once again good luck with the decision Brian....hope you come to a conclusion you are happy with.
I think this is the best way to look at it. having one shop do everything is key IMO. I am sure SGP and other shops put out great motors. For the most part, a motor build is a motor build. Just make sure the machnining is good, clearances are right and then bolt it up. Sure, there can be bad builds, but if you trust a shop like GRD for your other work, I don't see why you wouldn't for this. I think them being the closest shop to you is icing on the cake.

In the end, make the decision you feel most confident with. I know I was hesitant when I went to GRD with my car and ended up doing a build. I had really never met the guys in person, they had done maybe 2 Z33 specific builds at the time, and my build was purely elective, my stock motor was fine (if it aint broke don't fix it type of thinking here). In the end, I am happy with my decision. Talking with Tom (zippycar) really eased my nerves with my decision. His car is still running strong, in fact he just went back for the APS 3" exhaust, big pipes and a retune.

Good luck with whom ever you choose to go with
Old 04-19-2006, 01:07 PM
BrianLG35C

Thanks for the useful advice zman. I hear what your saying about GRD and it makes sense.

One thing I need to find out from Zippy and Zivman, is why they're running under 500whp with their build motors and Tuan has continued to run 510whp on his stock block for almost 2 years. Is that by choice or what?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:13 PM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by Zivman
I think this is the best way to look at it. having one shop do everything is key IMO. I am sure SGP and other shops put out great motors. For the most part, a motor build is a motor build. Just make sure the machnining is good, clearances are right and then bolt it up. Sure, there can be bad builds, but if you trust a shop like GRD for your other work, I don't see why you wouldn't for this. I think them being the closest shop to you is icing on the cake.

In the end, make the decision you feel most confident with. I know I was hesitant when I went to GRD with my car and ended up doing a build. I had really never met the guys in person, they had done maybe 2 Z33 specific builds at the time, and my build was purely elective, my stock motor was fine (if it aint broke don't fix it type of thinking here). In the end, I am happy with my decision. Talking with Tom (zippycar) really eased my nerves with my decision. His car is still running strong, in fact he just went back for the APS 3" exhaust, big pipes and a retune.

Good luck with whom ever you choose to go with
Oh, there you are zivman. You and zman do make a lot of sense. Can you elaborate on my post above about your current whp numbers. Unless you've recently retuned for higher numbers.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

One issue that many customers are concerned with, is downtime. It's not uncommon for some shops to get backed up, and your car will end up sitting/waiting for months.

This is why I usually suggest getting your engine built on your own, where you can control the timeline a little bit better. Once the engine arrives, then its just a matter of installing it, and there should be any delays at that point. We can have shortblocks ready in 3-4 weeks...sometimes sooner.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh, there you are zivman. You and zman do make a lot of sense. Can you elaborate on my post above about your current whp numbers. Unless you've recently retuned for higher numbers.
Call me and we can discuss

- downtime is not an issue. 3-4 weeks just to get a short block ready seems to be a LONG time. GRD could have the motor together in a week or two. He doesn't have to worry about shipping, can drop the car off, get exactly the internals he wants, and pic it up later all tuned and ready to go. One shop to deal with, no worries about shipping, or introducing a 3rd party into the mix. I am not saying he must go to GRD, but he is definitely better off having one shop do everthing from start to finish.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I am not speaking of GRD, I hope you know that. But I have talked to dozens of customers, and one of the most frequent complaints is extended downtimes. I am not going to name names or shops, but it is an issue, in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Just Blew My Stock Motor With APS TT!!