MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   TN ST, where to best tap oil for turbo........ (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/217893-tn-st-where-to-best-tap-oil-for-turbo.html)

znot 09-18-2006 03:42 PM

TN ST, where to best tap oil for turbo........

from the oil filter area via "sandwhich" or oil pan spacer? don't want to drill into anything..........thanks.

MIAPLAYA 09-18-2006 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by znot
from the oil filter area via "sandwhich" or oil pan spacer? don't want to drill into anything..........thanks.

If you are referring to the oil feed use the adaptor that Turbonetics provided and tee off of the oil pressure sending unit port. If you are referring to the return and prefer not to drill the upper pan you can use a oil pan spacer and drill and tap the spacer.

chimmike 09-18-2006 04:15 PM

refer to the instructions as they are very good. And ONLY refer to the instructions.

znot 09-18-2006 05:37 PM

copy........thanks.

g356gear 09-18-2006 05:38 PM

We just did an install on a t-netics kit with the AAM spacer and oil return line kit. It worked very well and was excellent quality.

JETPILOT 09-18-2006 05:54 PM

I have blown 2 Turbonetics turbo oil seals with the oil return to an AAM oil pan spacer. I'm plugging up the oil spacer return and drilling the upper oil pan as per the turbonetics instruction.

With the return going into the AAM spacer the oil returns to the pan below the oil level. This may have been a factor in the failure of the seal. I'm not taking any chances this time.

JET

znot 09-18-2006 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=With the return going into the AAM spacer the oil returns to the pan below the oil level. This may have been a factor in the failure of the seal. I'm not taking any chances this time.

JET[/QUOTE]

how about running the return to the oil filter area via that sandwhich? at least it's above the oil level....
i was actually gonna install an oil pan spacer, leave that alone, and use the oil filter sandwhich for the return.......curious as to what others have done besides tapping into block............inputs more then welcome:)

MIAPLAYA 09-18-2006 06:23 PM

I'm not sure if you can do that...The oil in that area is under pressure and the return needs to be able to flow freely..

taurran 09-18-2006 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I have blown 2 Turbonetics turbo oil seals with the oil return to an AAM oil pan spacer. I'm plugging up the oil spacer return and drilling the upper oil pan as per the turbonetics instruction.

With the return going into the AAM spacer the oil returns to the pan below the oil level. This may have been a factor in the failure of the seal. I'm not taking any chances this time.

JET

Exactly what I've been suggesting for a good while. All of the blown seals I've seen were on cars with tapped spacers.

It's common turbo knowledge that the higher the tap, the better. For healthy flow it's better to have gravity working with you, rather than viscosity working against you.

Besides, you aren't tapping "the block". You're tapping the upper oil pan which should be cheaper to replace (or seal) than buying a new turbo.

When I end up building the motor, I plan on keeping my existing block and retaining the tapped upper pan. I'll only be using the spacer for the extra oil capacity.

JETPILOT 09-18-2006 09:23 PM

how about running the return to the oil filter area via that sandwhich? at least it's above the oil level....
i was actually gonna install an oil pan spacer, leave that alone, and use the oil filter sandwhich for the return.......curious as to what others have done besides tapping into block............inputs more then welcome:)

An oil cooler sandwhich plate (I assume you mean purchasing an oil cooler sandwhich plate) won't work. You can't gravity feed into a sandwhich plate. The only real option here is to tap the upper oil pan. It doesn't sound like something you would want to do but it's really a non issue.

+1 what Taurran said. The upper oil pan is cast aluminum and is not part of the engine block.

JET

znot 09-19-2006 02:26 PM

ok, page 23 of 41 line 39 states(install manual) "Using a step drill or 1/8" drill bit, drill a pilot hole into the engine block...."
did tn mistake that as a block instead of the upper cast aluminum as you guys noted? either way, no biggie......if anything, the pic on page 41 shows clearly how the oil will free fall with gravity down into the oil pan vs flowing into the oil via oil pan spacer.........sounds confusing, hope im making sense here....

MIAPLAYA 09-19-2006 02:41 PM

ok, page 23 of 41 line 39 states(install manual) "Using a step drill or 1/8" drill bit, drill a pilot hole into the engine block...."
did tn mistake that as a block instead of the upper cast aluminum as you guys noted? either way, no biggie......if anything, the pic on page 41 shows clearly how the oil will free fall with gravity down into the oil pan vs flowing into the oil via oil pan spacer.........sounds confusing, hope im making sense here....

Since to most people who were unaware it would seem as one large piece (block and upper pan) but the reality is its two and the upper pan can be removed from the block.

JETPILOT 09-19-2006 03:21 PM

Maybe they made a mistake or maybe it was intentional... but the proper part name is upper oil pan. Forgo the oil pan spacer as a return site. Return to upper oil pan only. Changing a turbo is not fun, and neither is having people pull up to you on the highway and telling you your car is on fire or some sh*t becasue you are sending out a smoke screen when you get off WOT.

JET

chimmike 09-19-2006 03:43 PM

i've been running the JWT pan spacer since day 1, and 14k later on the turbo kit, NO BLOWN TURBO SEALS.

nissansource 09-19-2006 05:27 PM

Tap the block didnt know ppl where bustin seals using the spacers figures since its soo low and close to the oil

chimmike 09-19-2006 05:31 PM

again, I don't know of anyone other than jetpilot who've done this. The oil doesn't come out of the turbo like you think it does. It exits as a foam essentially. If you make sure it's all downhill to the pan, you can use a spacer without a single issue as I have for 14k miles.

JETPILOT 09-19-2006 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by chimmike
You can use a spacer without a single issue as I have for 14k miles.

Yeah.... ignore my statements about using an oil pan spacer as a return. Because his seals don't leak it's a sure thing that yours won't either. :rolleyes:

JET

taurran 09-19-2006 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by chimmike
again, I don't know of anyone other than jetpilot who've done this. The oil doesn't come out of the turbo like you think it does. It exits as a foam essentially. If you make sure it's all downhill to the pan, you can use a spacer without a single issue as I have for 14k miles.

It doesn't matter if you haven't had issues or not, and there's nothing saying you won't. It's common knowledge that you want oil returned higher is better for the system, just because your car hasn't had problems does not mean this is the case.

MIAPLAYA 09-19-2006 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by taurran
It doesn't matter if you haven't had issues or not, and there's nothing saying you won't. It's common knowledge that you want oil returned higher is better for the system, just because your car hasn't had problems does not mean this is the case.

Very true. While some have had success with the oil pan spacer placement Turbonetics designer says the only proper place is in the upper pan.

taurran 09-19-2006 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Very true. While some have had success with the oil pan spacer placement Turbonetics designer says the only proper place is in the upper pan.

My last post was rushed and made no sense, but glad you got the picture. :o