Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

PICS of my turbo install!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 02:35 PM
priscilla ls1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Oooh, yea, you have a Borla. Pretty restrictive for FI. I'd get something designed for turbo applications, then boost it on up!
Realy? What if I took off the muffler and run just strait pipes? I also have some test pipes I will be putting in. Will this help much?
Old 11-17-2006, 02:38 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dual 3.5 inch exhaust from the turbos back...
Old 11-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Vash350Z

Get a bigger exhaust, and maybe you are maxing out the SSV (I have one too, switching back to stock + spacer now that im FI
Old 11-18-2006, 05:25 AM
priscilla ls1

Well I guess I will just drive like this for a little bit tell I brake in the engine a little more then I will up grade.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:33 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Nice setup!

I would ditch the SSV all that I have seen says that you lose power or dont gain as much as stock with spacer.

Also Spell check your profile!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:18 PM
priscilla ls1

Well I just picked up my car and drove it 1600 miles down here to T.X.
This turbo kit is great the instant you hit the gas your in boost I would say I am in boost at about 2900-3100 rpm's feels great and had no problems on the ride. Cant wait to change the exahust and up the boost. anyone know of any good tuning shops around san antonio? I am installing some test pipes today after I get my car T.X inspected. I will have more pics of that soon. I will keep this thread going for research and to see how far I can take this kit.
Later.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:01 PM
clemlover15

nice pics, very clean!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:17 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have some experience on the PETT(almost 2 years), stock block, and the exhaust is key. I have on at this time a custom 2.5" (no cats) and limiting the boost is the problem. I have run test pipes, resonated test pipes, high flow cats, stock cats, NISMO, etc. The exhaust has great affect on the performance (boost pressure) of this kit. Noticeable difference in boost pressure and spool up between each. Look at the kit instructions at the last page and what they have to say about exhaust.

Love the pictures of your install, loolks great, I am sure you will love this kit. Search on here to see some high hp PE kits. This kit is underrated IMO. And the SSV looks great (flame suit on).
Old 11-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Oooh, yea, you have a Borla. Pretty restrictive for FI. I'd get something designed for turbo applications, then boost it on up!
I 100% disagree! Borla's TD 2.5" is enough for 500whp. I know many guys on these forums who boost 10psi on this exhaust and make 450+whp on stock blocks! 10psi on a built motor with more displacement dynoing under 400whp on an uncorrected (so likely higher #'s than SAE due to cold weather) is not that great IMO. What kind of timing are you running? You should def be able to run more boost with your current exhaust and test-pipes....then again it could be due to that "nice" SSV, not good when my reflash and bolt-on Turbonetics car did 396whp-400ft/lbs on that same dyno in about the same conditions uncorrected,Id be looking into what the issue is, its not the exhaust yet....

Last edited by Alberto; 11-27-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Pilot_Z

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
Well I just picked up my car and drove it 1600 miles down here to T.X.
This turbo kit is great the instant you hit the gas your in boost I would say I am in boost at about 2900-3100 rpm's feels great and had no problems on the ride. Cant wait to change the exahust and up the boost. anyone know of any good tuning shops around san antonio? I am installing some test pipes today after I get my car T.X inspected. I will have more pics of that soon. I will keep this thread going for research and to see how far I can take this kit.
Later.
Which exhaust are you going with?

I am going w/ SVRT.

PZ
Old 11-28-2006, 03:34 PM
priscilla ls1

Originally Posted by gringott
I have some experience on the PETT(almost 2 years), stock block, and the exhaust is key. I have on at this time a custom 2.5" (no cats) and limiting the boost is the problem. I have run test pipes, resonated test pipes, high flow cats, stock cats, NISMO, etc. The exhaust has great affect on the performance (boost pressure) of this kit. Noticeable difference in boost pressure and spool up between each. Look at the kit instructions at the last page and what they have to say about exhaust.

Love the pictures of your install, looks great, I am sure you will love this kit. Search on here to see some high hp PE kits. This kit is underrated IMO. And the SSV looks great (flame suit on).
OMG!! I just install my TP and what a difference it made with this kit!! HUGE DIFFERANCE! I could barly boost to 12 psi and now I am getting 16+psi boost spikes and I am not even messing with the boost gauge! Thanks again gringott anymore addvice I can barrow?

Originally Posted by Alberto
I 100% disagree! Borla's TD 2.5" is enough for 500whp. I know many guys on these forums who boost 10psi on this exhaust and make 450+whp on stock blocks! 10psi on a built motor with more displacement dynoing under 400whp on an uncorrected (so likely higher #'s than SAE due to cold weather) is not that great IMO. What kind of timing are you running? You should def be able to run more boost with your current exhaust and test-pipes....then again it could be due to that "nice" SSV, not good when my reflash and bolt-on Turbonetics car did 396whp-400ft/lbs on that same dyno in about the same conditions uncorrected,Id be looking into what the issue is, its not the exhaust yet....
I think I am going to keep my borla it sounds nice with the test pipes in, and alberto how do I find out my timing can I just look it up with my utec to see what it is set on? is it on the dyno sheet? I really think the reason I cant brake the 400 mark is now my fuel (not enough) I am running with the tiny 380cc that came with the kit I want to start upgrading to the 750cc I think this would help. Any more advice Im all ears

Here are some pics of that TP install. as well as a better dyno sheet pic.

Last edited by priscilla ls1; 05-24-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Oh I missed that, no wonder, why run such small injectors on a built motor!? You need at least 550cc injectors and a retune at higher boost. Easy 500whp...btw 16+psi boost spikes when your tuned to 10psi is not good, nothing to be excited about.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:15 PM
gringott

Alberto, I think he is just excited that he could boost higher.

Yes, boost spikes are a problem - that is why I am going to a more RESTRICTIVE exhaust - I'm on a stock block. Yes, every time I changed something in the exhaust it effects the boost. Cheston on here just did his block upgrade and he got different springs for the actuators. You may want to pm him and see what he went with. He is running the GReddy EVO TT exhaust. Right now I am running 2.5 inch with an xpipe, resonators, muffers, all freeflowing. When I do a built block, I will put it back on, for now, no good.

I just picked up some PE 510s to swap for my 380s. If I remember right, you got the AAM full return system, right? For sure you need some injectors.

Watch that boost!!! Till you get a better tune.

Good luck!

I used to hear about turbo lag, but I never met any on the PE kit.

Last edited by gringott; 11-28-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:57 PM
priscilla ls1

Oh I missed that, no wonder, why run such small injectors on a built motor!? You need at least 550cc injectors and a retune at higher boost. Easy 500whp...btw 16+psi boost spikes when your tuned to 10psi is not good, nothing to be excited about.
I will just keep these injectors tell I feel the motor is all the way broken in. then I will move to some bigger ones. My boost gauge seems to hit around 14 psi for like a quick second at WOT then it levels out right above 10psi. And my boost controller reads 0.87 of boost at WOT which is how much psi?

Last edited by priscilla ls1; 11-28-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:18 PM
sugarspunZ

Received 665 Likes on 524 Posts

i am not the most knowledgeable person when it come to FI, but shouldnt he be making more power with a built motor and twins. i made more power with my ST on stock internals. i am confused.
however it looks great. nice work.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by sugarspunZ
i am not the most knowledgeable person when it come to FI, but shouldnt he be making more power with a built motor and twins. i made more power with my ST on stock internals. i am confused.
however it looks great. nice work.
He is limited by his injectors right now, he cant turn up the boost because he would run lean due to his injectors running max at the current power levels. As a general rule of thumb 1cc per 1whp so for 550whp or less 550cc injectors would do, of course you can always go bigger. As soon as he steps these up and retunes he can push those turbo's to the max and see the "real" benefit of his $$$$ spent....
Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 PM
sugarspunZ

Received 665 Likes on 524 Posts

He is limited by his injectors right now, he cant turn up the boost because he would run lean due to his injectors running max at the current power levels. As a general rule of thumb 1cc per 1whp so for 550whp or less 550cc injectors would do, of course you can always go bigger. As soon as he steps these up and retunes he can push those turbo's to the max and see the "real" benefit of his $$$$ spent....
right on. i knew injectors were important, but i didnt know they made that much of a differece.
i was just confused cause he is running 10psi and i am at 9psi on an ST and my numbers were higher (well hp is about the same, but my tq is much higher than his).
Old 11-28-2006, 06:59 PM
gringott

Originally Posted by sugarspunZ
right on. i knew injectors were important, but i didnt know they made that much of a differece.
i was just confused cause he is running 10psi and i am at 9psi on an ST and my numbers were higher (well hp is about the same, but my tq is much higher than his).
So is mine. We are at stock compression ratio, so at the same psi, all other things being equal, there will be, in my uneducated experience, more trq and hp. It's a trade off, forged internals + lower compression - higher possible boost, safer ( tune of course). I'm sure Alberto can explain it better. His hp is about right for this kit at that psi - a hair lower, I'm sure due to compression ratio.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:33 PM
priscilla ls1

Originally Posted by gringott
So is mine. We are at stock compression ratio, so at the same psi, all other things being equal, there will be, in my uneducated experience, more trq and hp. It's a trade off, forged internals + lower compression - higher possible boost, safer ( tune of course). I'm sure Alberto can explain it better. His hp is about right for this kit at that psi - a hair lower, I'm sure due to compression ratio.
Yeah that about sums most of it up. Also dont forget that I am at a 3.7L not the 3.5L yall have so I'm going to have to push more air and fuel into each cylinder to make more power because of my larger dissplasment.

Last edited by priscilla ls1; 11-28-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:12 AM
gringott

Stop making me jealous.

Pushin 3.7.

You are forcing me to go 3.8.

Quick Reply: PICS of my turbo install!!