MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   Need help selecting a turbo for my SFR kit. (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/277078-need-help-selecting-a-turbo-for-my-sfr-kit.html)

chris'smax 06-05-2007 03:38 PM

Need help selecting a turbo for my SFR kit.

I am purchasing Julians SFR kit that comes without the turbo's, so now i need to see what are the available turbo's that will bolt up to the SFR manifolds. I am assuming it would be anything with a t3 exhaust housing.

I am looking to keep a stock block for as long as possible and am not looking to push over 470whp. More than likely i will limit it to 400whp for DD and have a 100 octane+water methanol injection map to use when needed. So my question is what would be a good turbo size for this power level. I am looking for a turbo that will provide as little lag as possible while still being efficient with these power levels.

BTW please do not suggest for me to get a huge a$$ turbo that will allow for more power, i do not want the headaches that come with achieving "high" power levels.

Thanks
Chris

MIAPLAYA 06-05-2007 03:42 PM

The 60-1 HiFi / Stage 3 units SFR usually includes are good units. For less power you might also opt for something like a T04E 50 or 60 trim compressor with a Stage 3 unit. Personally I would use the 60-1 HiFi / Stage 3 unit as it will give you some good power on the stock motor and still have 1000 HP worth of air available for later.

Devil Z 06-05-2007 04:22 PM

GT2871R Turbochargers :D

NoLimit 06-05-2007 04:26 PM

the 60-1's that Come with the SFR kit, ... call SFR to get the specs, and/or buy the turbos. You will have No fitment issues and I am sure that Tim will help with any other pieces you need to Complete the kit...

he has run those turbos on his Daily driver for quite a while, they work great, not too big, yet produce MORE than enough power for any need.

chris'smax 06-05-2007 05:09 PM

thanks for the replies guys, i know tho 60-1's come standard with the kit, but i think they might be a little overkill for what i want on a stock block. I am not very knowlegable when it comes to the flow potentials of different turbo's as i have only owned SC cars so this is kind of a learning experience.

chris'smax 06-05-2007 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by NoLimit
the 60-1's that Come with the SFR kit, ... call SFR to get the specs, and/or buy the turbos. You will have No fitment issues and I am sure that Tim will help with any other pieces you need to Complete the kit...

he has run those turbos on his Daily driver for quite a while, they work great, not too big, yet produce MORE than enough power for any need.

except that you have to hammer in some of the frame rails to get them to fit on the drivers side:icon38:

NoLimit 06-05-2007 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by chris'smax
except that you have to hammer in some of the frame rails to get them to fit on the drivers side:icon38:

G/L getting anything else to fit any better .....
the 'hammering' is minuscule at best....

chris'smax 06-05-2007 05:50 PM

G/L getting anything else to fit any better .....
the 'hammering' is minuscule at best....

hey i've never been afraid to put the beat down on any of my cars. When them b!tches act up i lay da smack down on em:D !

NoLimit 06-05-2007 05:50 PM

thanks for the replies guys, i know tho 60-1's come standard with the kit, but i think they might be a little overkill for what i want on a stock block. I am not very knowlegable when it comes to the flow potentials of different turbo's as i have only owned SC cars so this is kind of a learning experience.

like i said, contact Tim, ... I drove His Z with his kit on it (60-1 hi fi's), and then hop in the Greddy TT G35 I have, and at ~6 psi on Tim's car, it feels very close to the ~12. psi i'm running on the G35!

You will be ok with the 60-1's. Tim's been running the stock block, clutch, plugs, good California 91 craptane gas, etc with no problems for a couple years or more...

NoLimit 06-05-2007 05:51 PM

hey i've never been afraid to put the beat down on any of my cars. When them b!tches act up i lay da smack down on em:D !

LOL, ... then you'll be good by just giving it a little "tapy tap tap" under there! ;) :D

chris'smax 06-05-2007 05:53 PM

like i said, contact Tim, ... I drove His Z with his kit on it (60-1 hi fi's), and then hop in the Greddy TT G35 I have, and at ~6 psi on Tim's car, it feels very close to the ~12. psi i'm running on the G35!

You will be ok with the 60-1's. Tim's been running the stock block, clutch, plugs, good California 91 craptane gas, etc with no problems for a couple years or more...

Sweet! I have been wanting to get the greddy kit for years now (even before i had the car), but when this opportunity came up i had to jump on it. Hearing that comparison makes me feel alot better.

Its not that i don't like the 60-1's, i just think they might be a little overkill for what i am shooting for.

chris'smax 06-05-2007 06:01 PM

Is this the garrett equivalent to what is included in the SFR base kit?

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=TBN

IntenseFab 06-05-2007 06:09 PM

Is this the garrett equivalent to what is included in the SFR base kit?

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=TBN

What all are you keeping in the kit that julian is sending you, do you have to make downpipes, do you have to make charge piping etc. if you are keeping nearly everything as stock then you want to keep a 5 bolt discharge like turbonetics comes with standard, and a 2'' outlet on the compressor side (e cover) that way you dont have to modify anything.

If you're making downpipes and you have a specific power goal in mind what kind of power are you looking for? and maybe i can help you further.

If you want some turbos that pack a punch, you can order a set through han @ intense motorsports that will be GT35Rs in 30r housings that will do 500+hp no probs :) and dual ball bearing tight space restraints, or if your up to a little modification and want big power but want to save some money order some t3/t67s that can do 650+ a piece, no probs :)

p.s. that same turbo you pulled up intense can beat significantly if thats the turbo you want.

Weqster 06-05-2007 06:12 PM

the 60-1 is a 500hp turbo. if u want better spool and a little less power, look at the 450HP range

i recommend a GT3071R or GT3076R (almost the same). grab at .63 housing.

if u wanna drop a level, the GT2876R is designed for twin turbo apps, as well as the GT2871R. Both can be optioned with a T3 housing.

chris'smax 06-05-2007 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by IntenseFab
What all are you keeping in the kit that julian is sending you, do you have to make downpipes, do you have to make charge piping etc. if you are keeping nearly everything as stock then you want to keep a 5 bolt discharge like turbonetics comes with standard, and a 2'' outlet on the compressor side (e cover) that way you dont have to modify anything.

If you're making downpipes and you have a specific power goal in mind what kind of power are you looking for? and maybe i can help you further.

If you want some turbos that pack a punch, you can order a set through han @ intense motorsports that will be GT35Rs in 30r housings that will do 500+hp no probs :) and dual ball bearing tight space restraints, or if your up to a little modification and want big power but want to save some money order some t3/t67s that can do 650+ a piece, no probs :)

p.s. that same turbo you pulled up intense can beat significantly if thats the turbo you want.

Thank you for the response,

As i mentioned in my original post, i would run sub 500whp at the absoulute most (400whp DD). I plan to keep the stock block(barring any mishap). Really i am trying to keep the power levels reasonable as i don't plan on breaking any records here:)

IntenseFab 06-05-2007 06:24 PM

Thank you for the response,

As i mentioned in my original post, i would run sub 500whp at the absoulute most (400whp DD). I plan to keep the stock block(barring any mishap). Really i am trying to keep the power levels reasonable as i don't plan on breaking any records here:)

if you want to go with twins to keep the stock block in shape, go with some 50 trims or 57 trims e housings 2.5'' discharge, like i said in my previous post, turbos wastegates, drop n plug n play injectors han @ intense would be more then happy to help you :)

chris'smax 06-05-2007 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by IntenseFab

Well if thats the case couldn't i just change the flange on the downpipes?

MIAPLAYA 06-05-2007 07:29 PM

Well if thats the case couldn't i just change the flange on the downpipes?

Easier said then done usually. In regards to the 60-1 flow potential and the turbo you linked now the T04E 60 trim compressor has a max flow of about 49-50 lb/min. A 60-1 HiFi is in the 52-53 lb/min range so the max flow is similar although the 60-1 HiFi will absolutely outflow it. Having ridden in Tim's car trust me the 60-1 HiFis are not over kill. I rode in his car at mid 400 WHP levels and the car pulls hard and strong across the power band. As NoLimit said Tim ran the car with these turbos for 20,000 miles on the stock motor. And if and when you decide to build the motor later those turbos have the ability to push 1000 HP. Look at all the high HP Greddy kits. They are all running 60-1 compressor wheels.

chris'smax 06-05-2007 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Easier said then done usually. In regards to the 60-1 flow potential and the turbo you linked now the T04E 60 trim compressor has a max flow of about 49-50 lb/min. A 60-1 HiFi is in the 52-53 lb/min range so the max flow is similar although the 60-1 HiFi will absolutely outflow it. Having ridden in Tim's car trust me the 60-1 HiFis are not over kill. I rode in his car at mid 400 WHP levels and the car pulls hard and strong across the power band. As NoLimit said Tim ran the car with these turbos for 20,000 miles on the stock motor. And if and when you decide to build the motor later those turbos have the ability to push 1000 HP. Look at all the high HP Greddy kits. They are all running 60-1 compressor wheels.

thanks for the info bro,

i am slowly but surely starting to catch on to these turbo sizes and what they flow:) . I really don't want to build the motor, did it on my other car and was not something i enjoyed since i helped do it. I am very anal about $hit so i am trying to keep this somewhat "basic" (as far as twin turbo kits go:icon14: )

MIAPLAYA 06-05-2007 07:39 PM

thanks for the info bro,

i am slowly but surely starting to catch on to these turbo sizes and what they flow:) . I really don't want to build the motor, did it on my other car and was not something i enjoyed since i helped do it. I am very anal about $hit so i am trying to keep this somewhat "basic" (as far as twin turbo kits go:icon14: )

I hear you. Thats one of the reason to just use what SFR uses. No modifications needed on the kit. Buy the turbos and bolt them up. You'll easily be in the 400+ WHP range at relatively conservative boost pressures and have the ability to go for the gold later if you want to.