Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS or TURBONETICS

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:39 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
..... I believe your argument about "heat" on the intake pipe is weak at best.
+1

is the sky really blue today? damm thats twice i agree with you in 1 day!!!!!

The deficiencies on the tn kit are else where and actually unrelated to the topic really...
The OP already said he is checking for a turbo on the stock block... TTs kit will offer the potential he will need in the future but he may never explore that at all, so the TN kit makes it a better cheaper solution for him IMO.. thats...it.. (i think that has been said about 10 times now)
Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My concern with single turbo kits, isnt so much the heatsoak debate, but rather, the turbocharger efficiency debate.

Craig, the engines you mentioned are all inline engines, where a single turbo makes perfect sense, and is the most efficient way to mount the turbocharger to the manifold (as close to the exhaust energy as possible). In the 350Z, we dont have that luxury with our V6. I am not saying it can't be done, but there might be a better way of doing it.

Honestly, on the VQ35, with no restrictions (ie...a drag/race car), an ideal setup would be TWO larger sized turbocharges, mounted up front, driven directly by the exhaust gas, as close as possible to the exhaust port outlets.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

I wouldn't say it's "flooded" with turbonetics kits. If you take into effect the popularity of the kit and it's current limitations, it's easy to see why as a lot end up going with twin turbo setups. I attribute that to the fact that people don't really know what they're getting into when they buy into a turbo setup, trust me, I get AIM msgs and PMs asking questions constantly from people who know VERY little about FI and the Z kits in general who've made choices on kits without studying the facts. I first ask people their ultimate power goals and budget. Believe it or not a large amount of the time I tell people it would be best for their goals to buy a TT setup.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-425/

If you read down through there, you'll see almost every kit represented. Now, take a look at the FI list at the top of this forum. It's quite proportionate if you ask me.
I was just stabbing a horse that has already been beaten to death.

There area few TN thats have made their rounds though.

What you said is true, more bought new means more sold used.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:09 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
My concern with single turbo kits, isnt so much the heatsoak debate, but rather, the turbocharger efficiency debate.

Craig, the engines you mentioned are all inline engines, where a single turbo makes perfect sense, and is the most efficient way to mount the turbocharger to the manifold (as close to the exhaust energy as possible). In the 350Z, we dont have that luxury with our V6. I am not saying it can't be done, but there might be a better way of doing it.

Honestly, on the VQ35, with no restrictions (ie...a drag/race car), an ideal setup would be TWO larger sized turbocharges, mounted up front, driven directly by the exhaust gas, as close as possible to the exhaust port outlets.
I agree, to a point... The main issue with a ST setup isn't turbo efficiency but rather space to mount the larger turbo.

Of course, on any single turbo setup, regardless of what motor or car it's running on, you're going to have to be much more careful in turbo selection and sizing than with a twin turbo setup on the same car.

Sure, mounting a single turbo on a V motor isn't a simple task but it can be done, and done efficiently. There are many single turbo kits out there for V motors that work fantastically. Just look at many of the big ST Mustang and LS powered cars.

I think the matter of big TT's being "better" is arguable. Reason being is that as you step up the sizing of the turbos on a twin setup, you're only utilizing the exhaust flow of HALF the motor's total displacement to drive each turbo. This will ultimately lead to decreased spool and lag which will ramp up drastically as you go with larger and larger turbines/housings. You're eventually going to be dealing with the issue of lag anyway.

With a large ST, you can take advantage of the air flow from both exhaust banks to push one large turbine. This means that lag will be less of an issue at higher boost levels. If you'd like to time out and take advantage of alternating pulses from both exhaust banks you can time out and install a turbo with a divided turbine housing as well. And, as we know, a larger turbo will flow more efficiently at high boost levels.

Of course, we come back to the issue of space to mount the turbo and piping.

Take it for what it's worth. I don't REALLY want to turn this into another ST vs TT debate.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is another thing that I have realised but have failed to mention in the past as another benefit to having an ST or even the TN ST, more specifically.

I'm not sponsored, have millions of dollars or have a built motor. So, with these criteria in mind, the TN was a perfect choice for me. In addition, one of the TN ST's 'flaws' could be a blessing in a curse from my viewpoint in that having a turbo exhaust pipe of a smaller diameter to fit the engine bay may actually make my engine safer.

Sam at GTM said however, that having TN's 2.5" pipe leading to a 3" downpipe will make virtually no difference in power compared to APS' through-and-through 3" piping. Sam's main concern as to why he felt the APS design was superior was the heat generated from the housing (TN design) affecting power steering, AC lines etc etc (not charged air coarsing through the piping on its way to the intake).

However, there is still a part of me that says that the half inch of the exhaust-side piping may make some difference but for a guy on a stock engine, I don't think I would want a system that ran so flawlessly that it would eventually make TOO much power.

If I had a fully-built motor, it would be a different story. Who knows, as far as back pressure is concerned, having a TN system could be my saving grace for keeping my motor alive.

Just a thought though.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:02 PM
MIAPLAYA

I think the debate about whether a large single turbo on a V6 will perform well or not can be summed up by Injected Performance's car.

UPDATED

Well after lunch we turned it up to 27psi and it made 1016rwhp Dyno Dynamics Numbers.

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 09-12-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:08 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I think the debate about whether a large single turbo on a V6 will perform well or not can be summed up by Injected Performance's car.

UPDATED

Well after lunch we turned it up to 27psi and it made 1016rwhp Dyno Dynamics Numbers.
And spend thousands of dollars for that custom setup?????? Who are you kidding that budget is for a shop only haha. A twin Gt 35-r kit on the Z will easly hit a thousand whp and power alot sooner than 5500-6000. Just wait its in the works from a few shops...
Old 09-12-2007, 03:10 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by D350Z10
And spend thousands of dollars for that custom setup?????? Who are you kidding that budget is for a shop only haha. A twin Gt 35-r kit on the Z will easly hit a thousand whp and power alot sooner than 5500-6000. Just wait its in the works from a few shops...
No one said you had to mirror IP's car and the setup doesn't have to be 100% custom to work just as well. I think Craig's car is going to turn some heads when its tuned. If you don't think you are going to need just as much custom work to get over 1000 WHP out of twins on the Z then I'd like what you're smoking. So far the only verified 1000+ HP twin turbo car that I have seen is Performance Motorsports old car which had plenty of work itself.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:14 PM
D350Z10

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
No one said you had to mirror IP's car and the setup doesn't have to be 100% custom to work just as well. I think Craig's car is going to turn some heads when its tuned. If you don't think you are going to need just as much custom work to get over 1000 WHP out of twins on the Z then I'd like what you're smoking. So far the only verified 1000+ HP twin turbo car that I have seen is Performance Motorsports old car which had plenty of work itself.
All I am saying is that it is alot easier to fit twins in the bay rather than a gt-47, and most likely will cost less, also like I stated before power sooner. To each his own I had a single and and Back pressure was a b1tch there are way to many corrections that need to be made to get big power out of any kit out right now thats ST.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:20 PM
MIAPLAYA

All I am saying is that it is alot easier to fit twins in the bay rather than a gt-47, and most likely will cost less, also like I stated before power sooner. To each his own I had a single and and Back pressure was a b1tch there are way to many corrections that need to be made to get big power out of any kit out right now thats ST.
Your opinion is your own and thats fine. I think you are going to see some more big power STs coming up though. Craig's is just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:37 PM
taurran

To each his own I had a single and and Back pressure was a b1tch there are way to many corrections that need to be made to get big power out of any kit out right now thats ST.
That's because you went about building a "big single" all wrong.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:51 PM
350z_Showoff

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Turbonetics.....because I have mine for sale
How much you selling yours for?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 PM
D350Z10

That's because you went about building a "big single" all wrong.

Haha really now???? We were constructing all 3in piping where tn has 2 some in, and bigger intercooler, different wastegate tn wastegate can't hold boost for chit, custom manifold and bigger turbo... But you know that = big $$$
Also I made 550whp at 18psi on 109 in 90 degree temp and the motor was heat soaked, I think i did decent with 2.5 inches coming out of the turbo..... If you make more than 600whp than you will suceed...

So screw it I am going with a much more consistant, sooner power delievery, proven power, and overall better setup than any single out right now or custom single. Plus if I wanted to go for huge power with a ST a turbonetics turbo would have never been the turbo to go with, I had a garret gt-40 ready to go but again alot of $$ and way to much down time.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:02 PM
taurran

Haha really now???? We were constructing all 3in piping where tn has 2 some in, and bigger intercooler, different wastegate tn wastegate can't hold boost for chit, custom manifold and bigger turbo... But you know that = big $$$
Also I made 550whp at 18psi on 109 in 90 degree temp and the motor was heat soaked, I think i did decent with 2.5 inches coming out of the turbo..... If you make more than 600whp than you will suceed...

So screw it I am going with a much more consistant, sooner power delievery, proven power, and overall better setup than any single out right now or custom single. Plus if I wanted to go for huge power with a ST a turbonetics turbo would have never been the turbo to go with, I had a garret gt-40 ready to go but again alot of $$ and way to much down time.
Yes really. It doesn't matter what you "were" doing. You dropped in a new compressor, some headers, and tried running all that power on the present piping and the 38mm raptor wastegate (which is already at its limits on a stock block setup). Sounds like you just threw a bunch of parts at it without actually putting much thought into it.

I saw the dyno sheets, the car basically fell flat on its face because of the T3 turbine housing you were using.

And yes, your car must be better than all those 1000+whp drag cars running Turbonetics turbos. You don't know what you're saying or doing, that's for sure. It's evident in your posts.

Good luck with your new setup. Hopefully you'll do a better job on it than your last.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:03 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350z_Showoff
How much you selling yours for?
PM sent, I don't want to get OT here.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:15 PM
D350Z10

Yes really. It doesn't matter what you "were" doing. You dropped in a new compressor, some headers, and tried running all that power on the present piping and the 38mm raptor wastegate (which is already at its limits on a stock block setup). Sounds like you just threw a bunch of parts at it without actually putting much thought into it.

I saw the dyno sheets, the car basically fell flat on its face because of the T3 turbine housing you were using.

And yes, your car must be better than all those 1000+whp drag cars running Turbonetics turbos. You don't know what you're saying or doing, that's for sure. It's evident in your posts.

Good luck with your new setup. Hopefully you'll do a better job on it than your last.

AGAIN DO YOU UNDERSTAND OR COMPREHEND ANYTHING... TURBONETICS BUILT CARS... CARS WITH 30-40k in work AM I STRRETGLOW?????? There are alot more high hp Garret turbo cars than turbonetics, Ask 10 people which turbo they would rather go with and i bet 8 out of 10 would say Garret. The only decent feature of TN is its customer service haha. Get real man your all about turbonetics. Put parts together????? That kit was all custom by me all turbonetics did was put a bigger wheel in, Crawford headers just some headers... Thats why they make the most tq and hp??? I used at Tial 44mm wg and that worked great, Custom 3in exhaust, my car never overheated or anything like other tn setups... but I just put stuff together, that car pulled hard in every gear, My power came in at 4500 and dropped at 6300 to about 400 some at redline. My full tq came in at around 4500 , but no i did it all wrong.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:39 PM
taurran

AGAIN DO YOU UNDERSTAND OR COMPREHEND ANYTHING... TURBONETICS BUILT CARS... CARS WITH 30-40k in work AM I STRRETGLOW?????? There are alot more high hp Garret turbo cars than turbonetics, Ask 10 people which turbo they would rather go with and i bet 8 out of 10 would say Garret. The only decent feature of TN is its customer service haha. Get real man your all about turbonetics. Put parts together????? That kit was all custom by me all turbonetics did was put a bigger wheel in, Crawford headers just some headers... Thats why they make the most tq and hp??? I used at Tial 44mm wg and that worked great, Custom 3in exhaust, my car never overheated or anything like other tn setups... but I just put stuff together, that car pulled hard in every gear, My power came in at 4500 and dropped at 6300 to about 400 some at redline. My full tq came in at around 4500 , but no i did it all wrong.
Adding a 66mm compressor wheel was just a band aid. Don't claim that ALL ST setups are inferior with major backpressure because yours was "built" with an undersized turbine/turbine housing.

While you're at it show me all these turbonetics cars that are "overheating", then post up your dyno sheets and the video of a stock Z06 pulling on you.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:42 PM
D350Z10

Theres been many threads on this forum about overheating with TN go ahead and use the SEARCH function, that was at 474 whp and yes I lost, But why don't you ask Yancy who Beat at bolt on c6 z06 on my race map?????? Dont be smart *** just yet make sure you know all the facts, by the way theres a thread on that to which you can search!!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:47 PM
taurran

Theres been many threads on this forum about overheating with TN go ahead and use the SEARCH function, that was at 474 whp and yes I lost, But why don't you ask Yancy who Beat at bolt on c6 z06 on my race map?????? Dont be smart *** just yet make sure you know all the facts, by the way theres a thread on that to which you can search!!!!
Really? That's funny because I can't recall seeing a single one. Speaking of "facts", go find me some.

While you're at it, go pull up the threads about TT cars overheating as well.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:52 PM
D350Z10

Well I have not heard of any over heating from Great shops not listing names but you know who im talking about, all I hear from them is great things.

You have hands, you can find you own facts.

Anyways when you hit 600+whp then congrats until then.... keep trying

Quick Reply: APS or TURBONETICS