Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Amazing Breakthrough following DIY Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:13 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Amazing Breakthrough following DIY Build

Alright, I kept a lot of guys here in suspense waiting for me to finish with my petty problems and get my car tuned and on a dyno. Well here is the result of all that waiting...

I brought my car to a Tuner in CT Friday. The tuning began on Saturday due to extenuating circumstances. I was stuck at work, so I missed the actual tuning session.

Here is how it broke down:

My car was set up on a Dyno Dynamics Dyno. Some basic programming changes were made to my UTEC, parameters updated to the appropriate specs, and away we go.

My car has the following specs:
Built Short Block (Wiseco & Eagle Rods)
Greddy TT
Greddy TT Exhaust
SVRT WG Relocators and open dumps
UTEC
800cc Injectors
Crawford Plenum
TurboXS Test Pipes
HKS EVC6
11psi Wastegate springs
UR Underdrive Pulleys (soon to be replaced with Fluidamper)
and too much more.

First pass yielded 575rwhp at 11psi Boost Approx 45 degrees outside
During this pass one strap that holds the rear of the car down snapped and could potentially have skewed the results of the dyno run.

I am sorry but the tuning he was doing didn't show hp & torque info. And because I was not there, I couldn't snap a camera phone picture.

Second pass yielded 545 with a new strap. That seems more on course of what I was expecting.

Third pass yielded 488 and began to smoke white out of the exhaust

Fourth pass 420 rwhp and he had to stop tuning due to the excessive smoke condition.
My Tuner is convinced that the Turbos blew a seal.

In my install of the turbo lines I did not utilize any Oil Restrictors. It was not indicated anywhere and basically I didn't think I would need one.

He is pretty sure that is the problem. He suggested I flatbed the car home 40 miles and work out how I am going to remove the turbos and perhaps return them to Greddy for exchange due to there failure. The Turbos were purchased new and I have already spoken to Noah at GT Spec about returning them. He told me it shouldn't be a problem.

I remember reading about these oil restrictors on another thread somewhere on here, but I can't seem to find it. If anyone can point me in the right direction of where to buy these restrictors, it would be greatly appreciated.

Meanwhile I have to figure out how and more importantly where to work on the car. My back yard this time of year in NY is pretty much out of the question. It gets dark at 4:30pm and as cold as 30 degrees shortly after.
I need an empty garage to work in, and I can have it done in a couple of days.

I wish I knew about these restrictors before this. I would be enjoying the heck out of my car. I now have to hope that the turbo didn't break down, sending metal into my oil pan and into the engine.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:32 PM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Brutal man. Keep it up though, it'll be worth it.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

oh man.... sorry to hear this.

I just finished up a build that went relatively smoothly once I convinced my machine shop to actually start working on my setup. I cannot imagine the frustration you must be feeling. It will definitely be worth it in the end. once everything is tuned up, the time, trouble and money invested will be an afterthought.

As far as the oil restricters, I would think they would come with the setup and more specifically already be placed in the turbos themselves.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:16 PM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by Zivman
oh man.... sorry to hear this.

I just finished up a build that went relatively smoothly once I convinced my machine shop to actually start working on my setup. I cannot imagine the frustration you must be feeling. It will definitely be worth it in the end. once everything is tuned up, the time, trouble and money invested will be an afterthought.

As far as the oil restricters, I would think they would come with the setup and more specifically already be placed in the turbos themselves.
As most people know the Greddy installation instructions are CRAP. Essentially non-existant. Anyway, I read about these restrictors somewhere on this forum, but i can't seem to find them. I am hoping someone can help with either a link of that thread, or a link to a store that carries them.

I still stoked at the potential with my set-up. I will rebuild it, no problem. And when I get the replacement turbo's in place, it will already be tuned for 11psi power. Once I get the remaining bugs out, I simply go back for even bigger tunes. 13psi, 15psi, maybe 16psi.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bro! Thats no good!
Wish you the best!
Noah will take care of you!
Old 11-17-2007, 08:38 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy all my oil lines from this guy..

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/zerothread?id=1902396

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/zerothread?id=1984630

his private site at www.Fast-Turbo.com

Last edited by accordfreak; 11-17-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember people talking about the restrictors when Jeremy and Taurran were talking about the custom Turbonetics single turbo setup.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:56 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I don't think anyone has used restrictors on Greddy kits mainly APS TT, I have also not heard of many or any Greddy's having failed turbos specially so soon, it might be bad luck and have one but I would check for other sources of the smoke specially if he says it was white smoke.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:02 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i hope this isn't XXTuning
Old 11-18-2007, 06:37 AM
QuadCam

I haven't heard of anyone needing oil restrictors on the greddy turbos, either.

I'd look at other things first.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:41 AM
tig488

i thought oil restrictors were only needed on dual BB turbos, maybe im wrong.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Jason333
hi

Originally Posted by Motormouth
I remember people talking about the restrictors when Jeremy and Taurran were talking about the custom Turbonetics single turbo setup.
+1
That was the "Testing the water with Turbonetics" i believe. They had too much oil pressure to the turbos or something.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:58 AM
westpak
SFZCC

with the "white smoke" report plus the fact that he had 575 RWHP at 11 pounds, it should have more like 475 RWHP, my fear is that they screwed up his engine with too much timing and basically a bad attempt at a tune.

Last edited by ZU L8R; 11-18-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by westpak
yeah and they are still in the waters, but that is not what is going on here.

with the "white smoke" report plus the fact that he had 575 RWHP at 11 pounds, it should have more like 475 RWHP, my fear is that they screwed up his engine with too much timing and basically a bad attempt at a tune.
while I admit, this was a thought of mine, white smoke say from a headgasket issue is not the same as oil smoke. I would hope the shop could determine between the two

That is not to say the motor is not damaged, but if it is a lot of oil smoke, I would hope it is from a turbo and not the motor. A compression/leakdown would be on my list of things to troubleshoot
Old 11-18-2007, 08:27 AM
merlin3

sounds more like a headgasket issue, good luck getting it fixed, you've had a heck of a ride thus far.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:29 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by westpak

+ 10000.... I was thinking the same thing

Last edited by ZU L8R; 11-18-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by XKR
+ 10000.... I was thinking the same thing
Yeah, something doesnt seem right here. Greddy TT's have never utlized restrictors, and rarely, if ever, have problems with smoky turbos or blow seals on Standard Greddy TT turbos...especially with almost no miles on them. You do not need a restrictor on a Greddy turbo.

I would check a few other things before checking out those turbos.

Any signs of overheating? Got hot air in your vents with the heat on?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:53 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by merlin3
sounds more like a headgasket issue, good luck getting it fixed, you've had a heck of a ride thus far.
headgasket is usually easy to check. your coolant will look like a chocolate milkshake......also know as the milkshake of death!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by QuadCam
headgasket is usually easy to check. your coolant will look like a chocolate milkshake......also know as the milkshake of death!
not necessarily. If his head lifted and he pushed boost into the coolant system, there would be no trace of oil in the coolant. I blew coolant out my exhaust pipes and there was not a trace of oil in my coolant nor coolant in my oil. Car will still run fine under light load, but smoke excessively under boost. he will have heat spiking issues as well. At that point, his headgasket is gone, heads possibly warped, etc. After a while, the fluids may mix, but usually not in the beginning
Old 11-18-2007, 01:48 PM
failsafe306

First thing I thought of after reading your post was headgasket.

Check and see if there's oil in your downpipes.

Quick Reply: Amazing Breakthrough following DIY Build