Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Si TRIM VORTECH.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:27 PM
james12345pt

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SI Trim

Can't wait to see your numbers!! I'm going vortech in March and might send my blower to vortech for the upgrade before this install. I would like to figure out the right combo of pullies with the SI trim to allow for ~430-440 hp and 350-360 torq. I have all the Bolton upgrades already on the vehicle so I think I can achieve these numbers.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:42 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
is that your experience that you start to see belt slip at 14+ psi?

i'd love to get jeremy to look at my logs before i tried a redline 3rd gear pull, so i'm going to wait til then to see if i stilpull more boost or start to slip.
I saw belt slip at 13psi . With the new rev-up belt system and the GTM mod . I think 14 to 15 psi will be the point of slip . Thats where the ATI ProCharger slips at and it has a smaller serp belt driving the cog belt
Old 01-27-2008, 05:21 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you'll get those #'s without spending the money on the Si.

Are you having a shop do the install? If so, why not go with a single turbo? Same price for way more torque. I definitely rethink my blower purchase after i seem some of those out of the box turbo torque #'s

Originally Posted by james12345pt
Can't wait to see your numbers!! I'm going vortech in March and might send my blower to vortech for the upgrade before this install. I would like to figure out the right combo of pullies with the SI trim to allow for ~430-440 hp and 350-360 torq. I have all the Bolton upgrades already on the vehicle so I think I can achieve these numbers.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to see your numbers!! I'm going vortech in March and might send my blower to vortech for the upgrade before this install.
I advise you not to until we have some more results with this mod. No one really knows the full potential of the SI, an on a stock block, that's a little scary.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:26 PM
james12345pt

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Si Trim

you'll get those #'s without spending the money on the Si.

Are you having a shop do the install? If so, why not go with a single turbo? Same price for way more torque. I definitely rethink my blower purchase after i seem some of those out of the box turbo torque #'s
Here are a few of the reasons why I have decided to go with the Vortech over a single turbo:
1) I have already invested in several bolt-on mods which would have to be uninstalled and sold for pennies on the dollar including a rear end with 3.9 gears and cusco lsd. These mods will work well with the vortech but not with a single turbo.
2) I got an great deal on my vortech kit.
3) I'm hoping for longevity/ longer engine life. I feel with massive amounts of low end torque; the engine won't last for the long hull.
4)Traction!! Power is great but power and traction will win races
5)linear power is more controllable and predictable. I race autox and race aroung alot of back roads in the mountains. I have ridden with guys in heavily mod-ed turbos and don't like the way the boost comes on in the curves.

Last edited by james12345pt; 01-27-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:47 PM
JET MECH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few of the reasons why I have decided to go with the Vortech over a single turbo:
1) I have already invested in several bolt-on mods which would have to be uninstalled and sold for pennies on the dollar including a rear end with 3.9 gears and cusco lsd. These mods will work well with the vortech but not with a single turbo.
2) I got an great deal on my vortech kit.
3) I'm hoping for longevity/ longer engine life. I feel with massive amounts of low end torque; the engine won't last for the long hull.
4)Traction!! Power is great but power and traction will win races
5)linear power is more controllable and predictable. I race autox and race aroung alot of back roads in the mountains. I have ridden with guys in heavily mod-ed turbos and don't like the way the boost comes on in the curves.
sound like the vortech makes sense for you. i have a vortech for pretty much the same reasons you have stated.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
JET MECH

i just wanted to compile a list of mod's i have done that i feel will help keep the stock engine together a little longer for people who want to go with the Si-trim. i know eventualy the stock engine will go KA BOOM! at this PSI level but i feel these are safe guards for people to consider to help keep it together a little longer. BTW i am already compiling a list of parts for my built engine which is soon to come. CAN WE SAY STROKER KIT!!!!!!!!!!!

1. DUAL CATCH CAN SET UP VENTED TO ATMOSHERE. one on the pcv side, one on the left hand valve cover breather. i did this to keep the crank case gases from entering the intake track and thus reducing the octane rating of the fuel and possibly promoting detonation as well as keeping the fmic clean to run at its peak efficency.

2. FRONT BUMPER SUPPORT STRUCTURE CENTER SECTION CUT OUT.
also removed the front bumper foam support structure. this has increased the airflow into the radiator considerably. the stock radiator performs very well now. upgraded radiator is still in the future though!

3. NISMO THERMOSTAT.

4.ALL S/C SYSTEM PIPING THERMO WRAPPED. this wrap deflects all radiant heat away from the piping.

4.100 OCTANE FUEL. insurance against detonation

5. CUSTOM CAI. placed just above the fmic, the intake gets direct ram air on it now with the bumper structure cut out.

6. ENGINE OIL COOLER.

7. S/C OIL COOLER.designed it myself, it is working flawlessly cooling the supercharger oil before it enters the s/c gearbox. lower s/c temps are definately noticed.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

more info on 1,5,7
Old 01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

5 and 7 are what it states.

Just a CAI like most of the one's you've seen for the Vortech. Although, Jet, we really do need to redesign with a different material, that' ducting has got to go. And, replacing that hole you call a bumper may not be a bad idea.

Independent oil cooler, kinda small, which is from the Oil Line that normally enters the blower, but instead is rerouted to an oil cooler, which then routes back into the blower.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 PM
JET MECH

Originally Posted by istan
5 and 7 are what it states.

Just a CAI like most of the one's you've seen for the Vortech. Although, Jet, we really do need to redesign with a different material, that' ducting has got to go. And, replacing that hole you call a bumper may not be a bad idea.

Independent oil cooler, kinda small, which is from the Oil Line that normally enters the blower, but instead is rerouted to an oil cooler, which then routes back into the blower.
i have purchased some 4 ply 3.5" reinforced vibrant silicone hose material and some 3.5" aluminum tubing to fabricate a very nice cai. the aircraft scat tubing i am using now works but a new intake will be fabricated in the near future when i have time. and for the aluminum bumper reinforcement structure being cut out i do not condone doing this for most people because in the event of a front end collision you will have no protection of the front end but i accept that plus my z is not a DD. I know on some of the bigger twin turbo kits the bumper structural beam is deleted all together so the larger intercoolers can be installed. so i am not that crazy!!!!!!!!!plus i know for a fact it greatly increased the cooling ability of the radiator. i got a CEL the other night, hooked up my scan tool and found out the code was for COOLING TEMP BELOW THERMOSTAT VALUE. the ambient temp outside was around 38 deg so i know during the summer months this will be a great asset.

Last edited by JET MECH; 01-27-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:12 PM
JET MECH

the s/c oil cooler is a earls powersteering cooler converted using the proper AN fittings to adapt to the vortech braded oil supply lines. the supercharger does not use a large volume of oil as you can see by the size of the supply lines. if anything the size of the cooler is over kill for the application. the cooler is always warm to the touch after the vehicle is driven.
Attached Thumbnails Si TRIM VORTECH.-new-z-4.jpg  
Old 01-28-2008, 04:05 AM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JET MECH
the s/c oil cooler is a earls powersteering cooler converted using the proper AN fittings to adapt to the vortech braded oil supply lines. the supercharger does not use a large volume of oil as you can see by the size of the supply lines. if anything the size of the cooler is over kill for the application. the cooler is always warm to the touch after the vehicle is driven.

I have been thinking about doing this, glad to see it works before I spent the $$
Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Floridaboy1605

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish me luck tomorrow guys im going to get The SI-trim tuned so lets hope for some big numbers!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:19 AM
jpc350z

Originally Posted by Floridaboy1605
Wish me luck tomorrow guys im going to get The SI-trim tuned so lets hope for some big numbers!!!
A sound clip (idle) of how the SI trim sounds would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 AM
JET MECH

i would like to see your dyno sheet after tuning and a list of your mod's for a comparison of mod's versus power numbers. also will you be on a dyno jet? i will post my dyno sheet from GTM when they are done with the tune. also on page 1 of this thread i have a complete list of my mod's to date. i will be having some custom exhaust work done at GTM as well before my tune. i will be changing up my aps 2.5" exhaust system, i will be removing the single large muffler due to the packing being blown out of it. adding to seperate strup canisters 2.5" inlet's, 4" outlets. also there will be a "X" PIPE fabricated into the two down pipes just after the test pipes. this will cut down on the rasp and hopefully increase my low end tourqe a bit.

Last edited by JET MECH; 01-28-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 AM
JET MECH

Oh!!!!!!!!and good luck bye the way!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Floridaboy1605

Thanks guys I will upload a sound clip today maybe but I will be on a dynodynamic sry!! But as far as mods I'm only running a 2.87 pulley headers test pipes Injun exhaust mrev plenum fuel return and built motor!! I will upload the dyno as soon as I get a chance!!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:45 AM
jouvert00

Thanks guys I will upload a sound clip today maybe but I will be on a dynodynamic sry!! But as far as mods I'm only running a 2.87 pulley headers test pipes Injun exhaust mrev plenum fuel return and built motor!! I will upload the dyno as soon as I get a chance!!
I predict around 420-430whp on the DD dyno
Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good luck. 7100 rpms and a built motor should be interesting,

Last edited by str8dum1; 01-28-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Floridaboy1605

good luck. 7100 rpms and a built motor should be interesting,
Do you mean that in a good way or bad way???

Quick Reply: Si TRIM VORTECH.