Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The Truth About The Kinetix SSV Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:09 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Truth About The Kinetix SSV Intake?

Why does everyone say the SSV has nothing to offer when JT has proven solid gains with this intake above 6500 RPM? I have never seen an intake make power this high up. Whay isn't everyone using it? It looks good to me.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&highlight=ssv

JET
Old 01-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Why does everyone say the SSV has nothing to offer when JT has proven solid gains with this intake above 6500 RPM? I have never seen an intake make power this high up. Whay isn't everyone using it? It looks good to me.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&highlight=ssv

JET
can't tell if this thread is sarcastic or not....

Reasons not to use it:
Bad fitment (ie warped flanges)
Bad welds - reports of cracking
No proven R&D
No proven gains

What you are seeing in your link is more likely the results of tuning and the cams, not the sh!tty SSV
Old 01-12-2008, 06:21 PM
JETPILOT

Whatever it was... the SSV was on the car. I have never seen and MREV, Crawford, APS making power up that high.

The only difference between that car and my car is the SSV. Makes you wonder.

JET
Old 01-12-2008, 06:31 PM
citymunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
this car is sooo sick on the street, after a few runs, we broke the kenetix plenum right in half, the welds broke and no more fun...
That does not sound good. However I know somebody with the APS ST kit, and he install the SSV after, and his said he gain some power.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Zivman

Whatever it was... the SSV was on the car. I have never seen and MREV, Crawford, APS making power up that high.

JET
doesn't make me wonder. the PF guys broke the damn welds on it, The SSV is garbage; and for the price?? please . IMHO it doesn't even look good

edit:
When you are talking upper RPMS, it isn't the plenum holding you back, especially with FI.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:35 PM
JETPILOT

Word is the cracking issue has been dealt with and is not an issue anymore. I have also heard of the Crawford manifolds cracking.

I didn't ask how it looked. My car is not entering a fashion show. I asked about the gains. Not how pretty it is.

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 01-12-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 PM
IntenseFab
Sponsor
Intense Motorsports

JET
Hey JET,

It might make additional power and hell, we even have one stashed away in a box somewhere.. Next time we do an FI dyno i'll swap it out real quick and see if we gain anything from it. (stock plenum vs Kinetix SSV)

But from looking at it, I noticed that the welds dont have any filler in them (which means it was fuse welded, just melting the two metals together) making the weld the weakest link.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Zivman

Word is the cracking issue has been dealt with and is not an issue anymore. I have also heard of the Crawford manifolds cracking.

JET
I have heard of one single issue with the crawford... and that was on the plenums that were modified stock units, not their solid cast pieces that most have now. The plenum isn't really the place to spend big money... if you want the power up top, do research in the cams and heads
Old 01-12-2008, 06:38 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suck up the extra expense and go with the Cosworth if you need more high end power.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:39 PM
failsafe306

I still like the Crawford plenum over anything out there. Mine served me well, although I never went for high revs.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:40 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Mine makes power all the way even with boost tapering down a bit.

I have the C2 cams with a plenum spacer and revup lower plenum

Old 01-12-2008, 06:42 PM
failsafe306

Nice curves, Westpak
Old 01-12-2008, 06:48 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Nice curves, Westpak
LOL thanks

Just in case:
Red=Air Fuel
Blue=Torque
Pink=Boost
Green=HP
Old 01-12-2008, 08:16 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I recently started a thread on summarizing up people's individual results with the SSV.
I came to the conclusion that a possible trend when the SSV gaining power for people who had cams/headers/headwork done, while those who didn't would lose power

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/326300-possible-pattern-as-to-why-ssv-gains-some-people-power-and-others-lose-power.html

some of the links I posted for some reason ended up not posting correctly and I didn't catch it until well after I had closed the window or the original thread/post. I copy/pasted them into my post and someone mentioned trying to use "copy shortcut" instead of "copy" but....I really didn't feel like digging each one up all over again. People can look them up on their own if they're that interested.

Last edited by sentry65; 01-12-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:26 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by IntenseFab
Hey JET,

It might make additional power and hell, we even have one stashed away in a box somewhere.. Next time we do an FI dyno i'll swap it out real quick and see if we gain anything from it. (stock plenum vs Kinetix SSV)

But from looking at it, I noticed that the welds dont have any filler in them (which means it was fuse welded, just melting the two metals together) making the weld the weakest link.
That would be a great comparison test.

I heard they went with a different type of weld for the new SSV's. I wonder if the plenums available to purchasers now are stricktly the new weld plenums. I guess there is no way to assure that you won't get an old weld plenum.

Gus... Your car pulls pretty hard all the way up to about 6850RPM. Nice! This proves the SSV works as well as a plenum spacer and a rev up lower plenum.

This SSV makes some big power up top on Jeremy's customers car that can't be ignored.

Sentry... i liked everything until I got to this part.....
For turbo cars, if you think about the turbos being right there at the exhaust manifold restricting some of that initial exhaust airflow, it only makes sense that turbo setups would lose power with the SSV.
This car is a greddy TT kit with 18G turbo's. The turbine housings are small. I think the that the turbine housing isn't very restrictive, but the exhaust piping diameter after it would make a big difference.

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 01-12-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:43 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Sentry... i liked everything until I got to this part.....

This car is a greddy TT kit with 18G turbo's. The turbine housings are small. I think the that the turbine housing isn't very restrictive, but the exhaust piping diameter after it would make a big difference.

JET
oops, you're right, lemme clarify and re-edit my post because I was meaning turbo cars with stock engines, not a turbo car with modified cams and headwork

For turbo cars with stock engines, if you think about the turbos being right there at the exhaust manifold restricting some of that initial exhaust airflow, it only makes sense that turbo setups would lose power with the SSV.
I'm curious if larger displacement would work well with the SSV or if it would hinder it

Last edited by sentry65; 01-12-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Vash350Z

I switched from the SSV to a spacer because everyone was telling me that my car was running rich because of the SSV. I switch to a spacer, A/F did not change, power did not change.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:20 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

I too have no problem with the SSV except for the reports of the seems cracking. I have never had a SSV failure, nor seen one personally. I think if someone wants to use one, by all means, do so.
It is mostly a personal preference. There is more than one way to shin a cat (as we have proven many times). I havent seen any significant gains with or without the SSV, or from pretty much any plenum modification, spacer, etc. for that matter.

I have seen some small NA gains with playing around with various forms of plenums and plenum mods, but not too much on an FI car.

I personally am not such a fan of the SSV, but to each his own. I don't see too much of a problem with it, or without it. Its all a personall preference in the end.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:49 AM
SPRacing

any comments by the manufacture?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:44 AM
booger

I personally think the thing is ugly as sin , but to each his own . You can see it did take much thought to put it together . A basic mailbox type plenum box and some runners . You allso have to take it off to change plugs , mixed results [ mostly no results ] on power gains , and a $700-$900 price tag . NO THANKS !!!!

Quick Reply: The Truth About The Kinetix SSV Intake?