Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: How do you feel about your car BUILT MOTORS ONLY
I love my car, and its been well worth it.
75.16%
I wish I would have kept it simple
12.74%
I would have started with a totally different platform
12.10%
Voters: 471. You may not vote on this poll

A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've asked r0me to change the poll up a little so if you guys who are built care to vote again that would be great.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
shift-er

From my experience with the Z ($3-4k...really not much in comparison) and experience with other cars (much more $$$$)....the real joy of a car is as much in the build up as it is in enjoying the finished product. In the end, modifying any car leads to diminishing returns.

I love my car, i love the platform, and i will continue to use chucks of my limited disposable income to make it better faster and stronger. If it werent this it would be something else.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't say anything now, but getting the Vortech S/C put on as it's CA legal. That's enough for me, staying stock engine. Not out to race everybody, but want the coverage for the cut offs. Will not track, just for the runs and gathering we do, and to enjoy. already in shop for the cf ts seibon hood and spoiler, and then the tires, next the s/c. Got to have some kind of hobby.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 PM
iamdigital

Originally Posted by XKR
Love it.....would do the same all over again....LOVE IT !!

Luie...if you think modding your Z was bad ( and like you said...its never enough) modding a 997 turbo is not any easer ....not to mention $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Why you thing I gave up on modding mine and jumped into this arena? If you get a 997 Turbo.....DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING

You will say you wont....but after feeling the power you now have...the porsche will feel like a stock Z
TOTALLY AGREE! My buddy has a 996 and has dumped almost $200K into the car over the years. We talk all the time about him doing a TT'd Gallardo (guy is a single and makes BANK) but this is the same reason I went to the Z. I had the viper and was looking at another 60-70K to take it up a notch the right way. At least with the Z if you luck out you can keep a project sub six figure
Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
You will still own a ticking bomb, as do us built owners as well but most dont realize it yet...
Sooooo your telling us that you have information that could prevent other people from making the same mistakes your claiming you made and not educating the rest of us? I hope your kidding because if you could save someone $10,000 for a built motor and decided not do it for your own selfish reason would be a hangable offense!

I think the reason every single one of us is here is to share information and prevent other from making the same mistakes be it selecting parts or having a certian shop do work on your car. Something obviously stinks here!

JET
Old 04-08-2008, 10:21 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
No offense, but when was the last time you saw Nitrouz in the FI? He has an awesome car to be sure, but I get the impression he built his car just to have a sick 700whp car.
We are here, but busy. I am not sure about Nitrouz, but I am really busy now.
As for the poll, I have my opinions and will keep them to myself.

I voted & in general I am not happy w/ the this setup. It has a number of good benefits, but has been MUCH more trouble then I have really have had time to manage. We have learned a lot about the engine in the last year or so, but not enough to cover the initial expense I have incurred.

If I would do it again, I would very likely leave the engine as is... and buy a totally different car. .. But that is not an option now. It has been a very educational experience. :-)
Old 04-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Sounds like the JWT owners are happy. Kidding!!! Don't want this to turn into this kit vs this kit.

But it does sound like;
1) Built motor owners are having the most problems
2) Those that don't drive aggresive or track use are w/o problems
Old 04-08-2008, 10:43 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never took my car to the track. It's the people who touched it that cuased my issues.

JET
Old 04-09-2008, 03:40 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Sounds like the JWT owners are happy. Kidding!!! Don't want this to turn into this kit vs this kit.
Don't even start with that....
Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Its a joke! Everyone calm down.

Back to subject...
Old 04-09-2008, 03:53 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_K
On 6.5psi we made 487whp
enough said
Old 04-09-2008, 03:56 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Zivman
enough said

At any rate, despite the completely useless poll results, it seems this thread has received some good responses, and I suspect there are more still to come.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:59 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

At any rate, despite the completely useless poll results, it seems this thread has received some good responses, and I suspect there are more still to come.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:05 AM
350z2go

i have about 12 grand invested so far had the car about a year and love every time i drive it this year hopefully will go boost and i cant wait
Old 04-09-2008, 04:07 AM
taurran

Truthfully, I have just as big of headaches with this car with things besides just the motor and turbo system.

Adding body work, aftermarket wheels with polished lips, suspension, etc, if you drive it you're going to mess it up. It's a constant battle to keep it looking "new".
Old 04-09-2008, 04:20 AM
SC350ZR

As a newbie to this board I have to say that you guys are one outspoken bunch.

Well back to the topic.
I have the Stillen Stage2 SC and headers and love every minute of it. Sometimes I wonder if I should have done the Turbo(s) instead but then I drive one and it is very different, but better, don't know.
I use my car as a everyday driver (in the summer being in Canada) and the power/torque delivery with the SC is good for that. I was not after the very high whp numbers, just a reliable driver to get me where I want without having to do too much maintenance. I have to admit missing my last turbo car at times just to get the Whoosh feel when they spool.
But for now I really enjoy this and still loves it.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:15 AM
06Track

I have an 06 Track and the one reason I bought it was I had the
intention of putting a built TT in from the beginning. I knew there
were some hot factory cars coming out that the Z was going to have
a tough time playing with them. I have over 9000 miles on a 540 WHP
on a DD dyno, with an APS TT with mostly their Extreme setup.
I finally bought some wheels and tires (Proxy R888) a few weeks ago
so I can use the power during the summer. I enjoy the car everytime
I drive, and it has had no problems during the 9000 miles... other than
traction, and I took care of that
Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Sooooo your telling us that you have information that could prevent other people from making the same mistakes your claiming you made and not educating the rest of us? I hope your kidding because if you could save someone $10,000 for a built motor and decided not do it for your own selfish reason would be a hangable offense!

I think the reason every single one of us is here is to share information and prevent other from making the same mistakes be it selecting parts or having a certian shop do work on your car. Something obviously stinks here!

JET
I think he may be staying silent for now so that he doesn't prematurely place blame where it might not be warranted, but I really don't know.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by iamdigital
TOTALLY AGREE! My buddy has a 996 and has dumped almost $200K into the car over the years. We talk all the time about him doing a TT'd Gallardo (guy is a single and makes BANK) but this is the same reason I went to the Z. I had the viper and was looking at another 60-70K to take it up a notch the right way. At least with the Z if you luck out you can keep a project sub six figure
EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING ..

We in the Z/G community have it good....Most just dont know it.The grass is not always greener on the other side.I have been on the other side for many years.....matter of fact , I am still on the other side.

We spend 40k+ to get 600+...and in the porsche community we spend over 150K to get the same.. There is nothing worst than being stuck on the side of the freeway because your 150K (That does not include the price of the car at 140K )modded Porsche wont start.

I have been lucky so far with my G...LUCKY !! Every other car I have modded to this extreme has had something go wrong...usually the Turbo fails....cooling problems. From my experience...I am going to say that the setups offered to us in the G/Z community is better than whats been offered to me in other platforms. I feel that in the other platforms they have a license to kill...kill your wallet for far less performance.

A person that lives next door to me owns a Ferrari F50 with a TT system from a F40. This man has never had it running for a full month with out problems.250K later it stalls at stop lights...he has to keep his foot on the gas. He has not even had a chance to beat the crap out of it. I wanted to put a turbo on mine...but he talked me out of it.

Nothing any of you have said on here has shocked me. Some of you have WHP far beyond what most would believe. When I tell people what I have they think I am crazy until I give a wake up call.

I know what some of you and the Supra guys do with your cars.....been there...done that. I would expect something to break every time you run it at 600 to 800+ whp over what the car was designed for. yeah, most come on here stating that the tranny and diff can hold that much power in its stock form....but thats running it at over 100%......and you all get angry when something breaks? PLEASE !

I have had cars with over 1000hp and have objects come throught the floor board on me almost taking my leg off. How the hell can I cry about that? I am the fool who sat in a car with that much power. Something has to give...thank God it was not my leg.

If you have a car that dyno's at 800 whp and you beat up on it on the street at 800 whp....well what can I say...nothing......and you should do the same.

Last edited by XKR; 04-09-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:47 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

^Way to put things in perspective Mike. (Is there any way you could snap some pics of your neighbors F50, thats one of my favorite cars of all time)

Quick Reply: A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!