Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: How do you feel about your car BUILT MOTORS ONLY
I love my car, and its been well worth it.
75.16%
I wish I would have kept it simple
12.74%
I would have started with a totally different platform
12.10%
Voters: 471. You may not vote on this poll

A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:53 AM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
^Way to put things in perspective Mike. (Is there any way you could snap some pics of your neighbors F50, thats one of my favorite cars of all time)

I will get you a picture...he is also on a website like this one crying all the time.. ....i will fine it.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by XKR
he is also on a website like this one crying all the time..
lol, Aww the poor Ferrari owners
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Abishop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry for the kinda off topic question but, what is the safest afr to run on a stock motor when going TT?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Sooooo your telling us that you have information that could prevent other people from making the same mistakes your claiming you made and not educating the rest of us? I hope your kidding because if you could save someone $10,000 for a built motor and decided not do it for your own selfish reason would be a hangable offense!

I think the reason every single one of us is here is to share information and prevent other from making the same mistakes be it selecting parts or having a certian shop do work on your car. Something obviously stinks here!

JET
Oh please, the FI forums in the past year have turned into a p!ssing contest, with constant shop vs shop battles. That leads EVERY shop to be hush hush about issues, even those that are "normal". Truth is they are scared of the negative press, and in the middle of the community's trouble makers and the shops are the owners of the cars. My experiences are not likely to be yours, but who knows...at the end of the day if I want everybody in my business is my choice. Ive always been open with my experiences Im the last one you need to post this type of BS to Yeah something stinks, its the haters of the forums, but that is neither here nor there.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 AM
KempieZ

I have a 350z with a built motor and aps tt kit. Had a lot of issues with different tuners that didnt know what they were doing. No experience for my car in Belgium. Blew up the stock motor and after almost 2 years of being busy with the built and spending like $50000 on the car, I have driven it once for 2 hours. Than it went back in the garage for some "little issues" repairs. It's still there . Always the little stuff that make you go crazy. Wait Wait Wait... It is a great car none the less, and its fast as hell ( 700rwhp) but if I could choose again, i would buy a new skyline gtr or a porsche gt3 rs. i pay less money for those cars in my country than the amount of money that I have put into my car. And i still need to replace rims, suspension, brakes,...
Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 AM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Oh please, the FI forums in the past year have turned into a p!ssing contest, with constant shop vs shop battles. That leads EVERY shop to be hush hush about issues, even those that are "normal". Truth is they are scared of the negative press, and in the middle of the community's trouble makers and the shops are the owners of the cars..
100% True... With the constant battles between the shop's, the shop owners don't want to leak any issues with cars. This is terrible, the owner of a car should be able to do whatever he wants, and not have to worry about a shop messing with the car or rasing prices. All the shops care about is their names, they post numbers and thats it.. everyone always hears the great things. But only a select few know what really goes on.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by D350Z10
everyone always hears the great things. But only a select few know what really goes on.
I definitely agree with this statement. However, I feel like the shop we do have do a better job than most of standing behind their work when things do break.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

I definitely agree with this statement. However, I feel like the shop we do have do a better job than most of standing behind their work when things do break.
+1
Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 AM
JETPILOT

I have never been one to be quiet about what a shop has done to my car. What do you care what the haters do. Post up the info and let the chips fall where they may. Because this other bullsh*t game your playing just leaves people speculating and assuming which is even worse.

JET
Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by D350Z10
100% True... With the constant battles between the shop's, the shop owners don't want to leak any issues with cars. This is terrible, the owner of a car should be able to do whatever he wants, and not have to worry about a shop messing with the car or rasing prices. All the shops care about is their names, they post numbers and thats it.. everyone always hears the great things. But only a select few know what really goes on.
i don't think that this would be the case if there wasn't such a "dog pile" mentality on the boards... i, as a consumer, have every right to voice my opinions and experiences with shops, products, and services... and so does every other person here... but, it seems that when we do, whether it be due to lack of inflection in text or just people reading between the lines, it always seems to be misconstrued as shop bashing... and then the troublemakers and bashers come out of the woodwork to throw in their useless opinions and it's mayhem...

the power of the internet and these forums is an INCREDIBLE thing and the shop owners know it... none of them want their reputations ruined overnight... especially when it isn't warranted... take your situation for example... you are frustrated...venting...(warranted) yet it started to turn into a bash-fest and you didn't, at all, mean for it to... we all have frustrating times and it's been said a thousand times; it's not what happens but how it's resolved...

imagine if a frustration-induced post led to a shop's demise...even after the issues had been taken care of and the client happy... we all need to be careful squeezing the trigger...once the bullet is out there, it can't be called back...

Last edited by stormcrow; 04-09-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:34 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

First off, please keep this civil guys. Second, please only respond if you have a built motor .

Basically, I'm curious to see how you guys who are built and heavily modified feel about your cars right now. Hindsight being 20/20, would you do it again? Has the whole process been more trouble than the end result has been worth? Would you have gone to another platform altogether i.e., Corvette, Cobra, M3, etc? Would have have left your car simple, meaning good, safe tune, with 400-450whp? Or has all the money and heartache/hassle/time input been completely worth it?

Also, if you choose to respond, it may be helpful to give a quick explanation of how you use your car (track, street "encounters", or just good ol' spirited driving).
I am pleased that the results show a phenomenal higher percentage that selected, "I love my car, and it has been well worth it."

If one could turn back the hands of time, I would do it all over again without batting an eyelid. I had my eye on the 350Z when Nissan teased of reviving the Z at press. The journey from 2002 till today was all one big learning experience and an adventure.

Knowing that a stage 2 power house exists today, and that it had its beginnings in my mighty VQ35DE, that in itself was and is quite the experience. So far I believe that there are only 2 VQ’s exactly like mine on the streets today.

I drive my Z every chance I get, except when it's snowing, icing and on a recently salted road; on the tracks and on the street.

G
Old 04-09-2008, 01:27 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Forged
i don't think that this would be the case if there wasn't such a "dog pile" mentality on the boards... i, as a consumer, have every right to voice my opinions and experiences with shops, products, and services... and so does every other person here... but, it seems that when we do, whether it be due to lack of inflection in text or just people reading between the lines, it always seems to be misconstrued as shop bashing... and then the troublemakers and bashers come out of the woodwork to throw in their useless opinions and it's mayhem...

the power of the internet and these forums is an INCREDIBLE thing and the shop owners know it... none of them want their reputations ruined overnight... especially when it isn't warranted... take your situation for example... you are frustrated...venting...(warranted) yet it started to turn into a bash-fest and you didn't, at all, mean for it to... we all have frustrating times and it's been said a thousand times; it's not what happens but how it's resolved...

imagine if a frustration-induced post led to a shop's demise...even after the issues had been taken care of and the client happy... we all need to be careful squeezing the trigger...once the bullet is out there, it can't be called back...
This sums my feelings up very well, and I couldn't agree with this statement more. The power of the internet is phenomenal, largely because of the word of mouth-aspect and this can affect business hugely for shops.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
JETPILOT

IMHO this poll is completely worthless. I don't think there are 442 built motors in this forum. Make the poll public and then see who votes. The outcome will be different.

JET
Old 04-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Driven1
Professional

This thread is great. Alot of REALLY good thoughts in here.

It's absolutely true that there are a select few that know quite a considerable amount more than the avg. person on here.

It's VERY sad how shops can be pitted against each other. I understand the competition of business, but we need to understand how lucky we are to have a good handful of quality shops in business. Nothing is perfect and noone is. People make mistakes and chit happens. It's a fact of life. Like others said, it's how it gets handled that matters.

I personally view it as dangerous to be on a forum as large as this as a sponsor or shop. They're VERY volatile and things can happen very fast with just the use of one wrong word or lack of complete explanation.

There are 3 sides to every story as...one side, the other, and the truth.

I don't think alot of people realize that those of us who own Z's are MUCH better off than ALOT of other enthusiast on other platforms. The base platform is affordable, they're EXTREMELY modifiable, parts are expensive but not absurd (think exotic), the selection of mods is nearing endless (almost to the point it's too much), and overall it's a great platform to start with. (as far as style, performance, and reliability). Modding cars is a risk no matter what it is and typically the risk becomes larger as more is added and changed.

I feel for KempieZ. That just sucks. Over here we take for granted that the guys who build our beasts are reachable (some have them in their backyard). Good Luck.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:57 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
IMHO this poll is completely worthless. I don't think there are 442 built motors in this forum. Make the poll public and then see who votes. The outcome will be different.

JET
I'll talk to r0me and see what can be done, but there is little doubt the thread is totally worthless.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:03 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys me and Jamez also thought this was a good idea and another very informational thread to help us out more

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....27#post5525327
Old 04-09-2008, 04:55 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

I'll talk to r0me and see what can be done, but there is little doubt the thread is totally worthless.
I think the thread is very useful.

It's the poll that's out of whack.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM
JETPILOT

+1 thread is good. Poll is poopy! 442 built motors!

JET
Old 04-09-2008, 07:48 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

^I agree, but I've used all my favors up. Plus, reading people's actual experiences is way more valuable than a poll with only 3 cut-and-dry options.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 PM
thawk408

Love my car and love every minute of driving it. If I wasnt able to do basicly all the work myself it would be a different story tho.

Quick Reply: A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!