Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

You guys were right, gotta PAY to play.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:57 PM
350Z400rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck Jason! I can't wait to get my car down to Forged for tuning too!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Good luck Jason! I can't wait to get my car down to Forged for tuning too!
im happy my vortech is going to a great guy. cant wait to see what you can get out of her.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

keep update!

BTW when is this going to b finish??

-Lee
Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Nexx

Originally Posted by xhooniex83
keep update!

BTW when is this going to b finish??

-Lee
the old motor is out and the car is ready for the transplant. i believe they should start on the install on monday. i would think it would take a good week to 2 weeks for the install and tune? i just hope its done by the end of the month but i am in no rush. i want the car to be as perfect as possible so however long that takes, i am willing to wait.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:28 PM
JET MECH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im just waiting for my **** to go KABOOM!!!!!!! my build will be starting soon!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Nexx

Originally Posted by JET MECH
im just waiting for my **** to go KABOOM!!!!!!! my build will be starting soon!!!
lmao, thats what i always told myself when i was running the vortech. if it goes then im happy to build. im happy but my wallet feels like a black whole at the moment.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Nexx
the old motor is out and the car is ready for the transplant. i believe they should start on the install on monday. i would think it would take a good week to 2 weeks for the install and tune? i just hope its done by the end of the month but i am in no rush. i want the car to be as perfect as possible so however long that takes, i am willing to wait.

you are right,
hope i can see your car on street when i visit dallas in couple months.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Weqster

I think the lesson to be learnt in this thread is;

Every mechanic thinks he is gods gift to cars.

This is something i learnt a long time ago. You gotta be smart about or or what touches your ****.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering if you have more respect for eyelids now (since ur humbled)? lmao.. jk..
Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 AM
jpc350z

What exactly blew? Put a hole in the block? Engine seized?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:31 AM
TrackPack

I'm just a lurker here and never post so I havent earned my wings per-say but I have honestly tuned my share of cars e.x. Brad D's 240sx from ka-t.org was tuned by me(600+whp ka, went 139mph stock weight) problems getting above the torque converter right now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rgMLCTxE5w
Also a 94 civic 4door with a stock Ls motor with a 35r http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eonK...eature=related
This car has done multiple 11.1 pass's on a bone stock ls motor(400+whp on cast pistons, stock rods, non-vtec) 2 years going strong, getting built this season.

so I have abit of knowledge on this topic, and Im sure that 12.0 afr is not what poped your motor, I prefer mid to lower 11's but 12.0 isnt bad by any means, if it was tune related it was timing 100%. I've pulled apart motors that went so lean that they smeared aluminum on the walls and 12.0 wont do that.

I've also pulled apart motors with aggressive timing maps and concervitive fuel( exact opisite of previous) and the damage is severely different, sand blasted combustion chambers, valve seats cracked/separating from aluminum.... Ive seen a few odd things.

Disclaimer: This is just a personal opinion, and given my post count I dont expect anyone to agree fwiw those 2 examples of catastrophe were NOT tuned by me, I have never actually had a stock honda blow on me(majoity of what I have experiance in...)
Old 04-11-2008, 05:44 AM
taurran

Well, being that these motors are high compression (10.3:1) from the factory, I think they're a bit sensitive to AFR's and detonation than the average boosted car. Not only that, but they're known for generally weak rods/bolts. Tuners may be used to tuning 12's on cars that handle boost better on the stock block but that doesn't necessarily apply here.

I agree that it was likely timing "related" as well as it's an important part of the equation. But, leaner AFR's, advanced timing, high compression, and weak rods is a recipe for disaster. Fuel and timing are the factors you can control by tuning, and is why its best to minimize risk by running it a little rich on the stock motor.

You can't really look at this motor and assume it's the same as a honda or older nissan motor. Some tuners assume this is the case and you can see what the results are.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:11 AM
TrackPack

Realistically it could have been a over reved/miss-shifted motor with weak rod bolts to begin with. Might not have been tune related in the least.

and yes the vq is some what high comp but check and see what s2000 owners feel safe in making for whp on pump..you may be surprised, and the cylinder pressure is distributed amongst 4 cylinders..( mind you they dont make any torque=cylinder pressure lol )

Its very unfortunate that the Vq has weak rods to begin with because given its displacement/bore the cast piston would in theory at least, withstand another 100whp over the current rods ( with some thick head gaskets to lower compression lol)

ohh well hopefully the Hr motor is built a little better and we see some bigger stock block numbers!

EDIT: I think that I should also add that this is just some criticism/assumptions and I have yet to tune a fi vq, mine will be the first. so I'm happy to hear from people with knowledge on how this motor reacts to certain tunes and its limitations.

Last edited by TrackPack; 04-11-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:22 AM
james12345pt

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Vortech with 2.87 revup

I,m running between 10.5 and 11.5 depending on throttle position. At WOT it drops to ~10.5 and then leans out at 11.5. I'm at 445HP and 365 Torque on a 06 revup engine. 0 knock problems.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:26 AM
taurran

The HR motor has thicker rods, I'm not sure about the rod bolts. There are only a couple that are currently boosted and we've got no real feedback on their capabilites. I assume that people will be making some real nice power on them.

And yeah, this motor makes some nice tq. Combine that with the compression and rods/bolts and, well, you get the picture.

It's still not too shabby that you can almost double the power output of the stock motor and still not have issues with a good tune.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:32 AM
iknowitsfast

Originally Posted by TSG-Z
Yeah, when I got my final price I told a guy that was talking **** that I had the MSRP of his Cobalt under my hood!
HAHAHHAHAHHA
Old 04-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Nexx

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Just wondering if you have more respect for eyelids now (since ur humbled)? lmao.. jk..
the eyelids will never get any respect from me, even if i declare bankruptcy and live off of unemployment!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jason, it's been great working with you on this project, and you are saving a ton of money, buy purchased a donar setup from a previous customer of yours. It rarely works out so cleanly!

Thanks for being patient, and letting us do our thing.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:16 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Nexx
the eyelids will never get any respect from me, even if i declare bankruptcy and live off of unemployment!
Didn't he have those porsche-ish circle headlight covers? I wouldn't even call those eyelids. More like abortions.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Nexx

Originally Posted by taurran
Didn't he have those porsche-ish circle headlight covers? I wouldn't even call those eyelids. More like abortions.
lmao +1, btw, just got a pm from another board member. his motor gave out too, running a greddy tt. same shop tuned his car.

Quick Reply: You guys were right, gotta PAY to play.