Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My VTR experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
jadenz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlideFox
I think one thing that needs to be clarified is the term "Stock Block". The "Stock Blocck" i.e. stock sleeves w/ NO machine work has already been proven to handle 600+WHP. The connecting rods are the weak link in the "Stock Motor".

There are plenty of people running a "Stock Block", but with aftermarket pistons and rods that are running strong with no issues.

sorry ...i meant stock engine with factory internals....
Old 05-05-2008, 06:45 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jadenz350
sorry ...i meant stock engine with factory internals....
Gotcha!

Edit: Even with a Stock Motor, you should have been able to run the 700bb kit. As someone stated earlier, you can put any kit on the stock motor, but it's the tuning and the driving habits of the drive that will determine the longevity of the motor. You could have put it the 700bb kit on, tuned it for low boost (roughly 380WHP), and you should have been able to drive it daily until you decided to build the motor. I think your next build will be really good; as the saying goes "sometimes you have to take one step backwards, to take two steps forward".

Last edited by SlideFox; 05-05-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:50 PM
jadenz350

I seems like you got the run-around. Previously I had only heard good things out of VTR. I glad you shared your honest opinion about your build.

Good Luck! I hope your Z gets put back together correctly, and you enjoy the boost!

appreciate your comments....too late for me but better for other in the future to have heard my story ...even if they want to take the chance for themselves...
Old 05-05-2008, 07:29 PM
jadenz350

Gotcha!

Edit: Even with a Stock Motor, you should have been able to run the 700bb kit. As someone stated earlier, you can put any kit on the stock motor, but it's the tuning and the driving habits of the drive that will determine the longevity of the motor. You could have put it the 700bb kit on, tuned it for low boost (roughly 380WHP), and you should have been able to drive it daily until you decided to build the motor. I think your next build will be really good; as the saying goes "sometimes you have to take one step backwards, to take two steps forward".
tuning the kit down was only mentioned after the first motor blew and we were going through options as alternatives to spending the built motor money....
Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
SlideFox

tuning the kit down was only mentioned after the first motor blew and we were going through options as alternatives to spending the built motor money....
Understood, I was trying to follow it between this thread and other thread.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 PM
TheCajunStyle

wow....all of this seems hard to believe for me. I can't tell you how many times they (Performance Motorsports at the time) would bend over backwards for me.

Sorry to hear about all the bad news coming from VTR...
Old 05-06-2008, 03:42 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate your candid remarks and agree that had i spent more time being the avid reader you're assuming I was....perhaps I would've challenged the final product a bit more....to go even further. When I first went to the shop and was introduced to Alex, he test drove me in a T/N car (his redline), and another black rev-up TT car with the JWT 530 kit to give me a demonstration of the different power levels for each kit. He even mentioned early on that they never push the envelope with more than 420 whp....So why didn't I challenge after even Alex from the shop had that to say? Good question, the reality is that at some point I just stopped listening/talking to Alex about the project because whatever he said never really counted for anything...if he told me 1300 for the GReddy suspension..by the time I talked to Vinny it turned into 1700....if i called to ask when the car would be ready it quickly turned into "speak to Vinny"....the guy had no power in that shop...so i just listened to Vinny...plus after spending 2 of the 3 weeks arguing/screaming and just being frustrated with the lack of service after committing to 12k in total of mods....you kind of just want to get the job over with. When I picked the car up he dynoed it in front of me and it produced the numbers mentioned...I just wanted to get my car out of there so dealt with small talk...paid my final money until they unhooked it from the dyno....and bolted without even taking them up on the offer to wash the car....the only instructions received from Vinny was to not rev the car above 6k until the engine was built....which was intended to be done this spring/now.

After the engine blew I didn't go back pointing fingers...i just thought it didn't work out - every engine is different...i get that. I asked Vinny to give me an estimate on a built motor and he handed me 2 estimates...one for a stg 2 built engine plus other labor, other bs work (for example washing out my intercooler since i blew a connecting rod...) totalling $20k and another one for $15k for a stg 1. These numbers were far off the high level numbers he quoted before the problem.....i got pretty upset at the dramatic increase all of a sudden and decided to double check his recommendations directly with JWT...i emailed JWT directly and what they told me was completely opposite to what VTR did...VTR's logic was its cheaper to upgrade to the 700 kit from the start ($500 more) rather than doing it after i bought the 530bb kit (i think $2k may have been quoted) - there was no mention from VTR of other mandatory items JWT stated in their email. The logic for having authorized installers for the JWT kit is for the manufacturer to be sure that customers will have a working produt once finished...JWT would not be such a popular kit if engines kept blowing up after 3 weeks. So for VTR to knowingly exceed the limits that you mention begs the question i asked before....is Vinny a really a genius or just simply unethical?? can't think of a third option.

With regard to timing, to be precise...deposit was paid on August 4th 2007...car was dropped off August 13th and the kit was finally installed by Sept. 1st. Actually was pissed off the weekend right before AlwaysNboost's car went to the track and apparently clained to run high 11's. I was so pissed off the turbo install was taking three weeks (apparently 1 mechanic was sick) and that they spent a whole Saturday bleeding his brakes when they could of been trying to finish my car which was sidelined for a total of three weeks when they promised 5 days max...to do the install.
yo my dude sorry to hear about youre situation at vtr, i dont know you personally but from what i hear it sounds like youre mad at vinny at a whole different level besides youre car-whats done is done and you cant turn back the hands of time. I am not gonna sit here and chant vinny this vinny that because he is a grown man and can defend himself. I knew him for years back from 01 when i had a really good friend of his build and tune a motor for me back in the day and he learned everything from him and stands behind him till this day. dont really know why youre SO SALTY about the guys at vtr spending some extra wrench time getting my car to do what we planned-i dont claim to run 11's, i did-good luck-
Old 05-06-2008, 04:41 AM
all yankees

You're disgruntled over what has happened and you have every right to be.

Each time I read a thread like this I make the attempt to piece the story together from the shops perspective, as no matter how well respected the shop is (otherwise you would never have had them do your work), when something goes wrong the shop is in the lime light and they are always wrong until proven otherwise.

But, I agree with Canjunstyle in that their is more to this story than being presented.

530 verses 700, no- stock block........but, will build later........I want 700 BB turbos! No, shouldn't- stock fuel system and SS box.........No, WANT 700's.

A ride in a boosted car is intoxicating, isn't it? Sometimes that ride clouds peoples judgement.

Back on topic with 1 final question. After you're engine blew the first time, were you the individual that Vinny sourced a brand new block from Nissan at no charge to you? Just curious.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:47 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by all yankees

Each time I read a thread like this I make the attempt to piece the story together from the shops perspective, as no matter how well respected the shop is (otherwise you would never have had them do your work), when something goes wrong the shop is in the lime light and they are always wrong until proven otherwise.

But, I agree with Canjunstyle in that their is more to this story than being presented.

530 verses 700, no- stock block........but, will build later........I want 700 BB turbos! No, shouldn't- stock fuel system and SS box.........No, WANT 700's.

A ride in a boosted car is intoxicating, isn't it? Sometimes that ride clouds peoples judgement.

Back on topic with 1 final question. After you're engine blew the first time, were you the individual that Vinny sourced a brand new block from Nissan at no charge to you? Just curious.
A buddy of mine with a white TT Z from my area went to VTR and from what i remember had good pretty results so as a potential consumer i would like to know the answer to this question for sure....
Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
A buddy of mine with a white TT Z from my area went to VTR and from what i remember had good pretty results so as a potential consumer i would like to know the answer to this question for sure....
whats youre boys name
Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by AlwaysNBoost
whats youre boys name
sorry bro no name.. met him at a wheel/rim shop in my town about 4-5 months ago.. It was a badass *** extremely clean Z with nismo wheels..
Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 AM
AlwaysNBoost

sorry bro no name.. met him at a wheel/rim shop in my town about 4-5 months ago.. It was a badass *** extremely clean Z with nismo wheels..
whats the name of the shop and what part of new jersey u from
Old 05-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Highway Riding

whats the name of the shop and what part of new jersey u from

Beyond. Union NJ...
Old 05-06-2008, 06:18 AM
jadenz350

yo my dude sorry to hear about youre situation at vtr, i dont know you personally but from what i hear it sounds like youre mad at vinny at a whole different level besides youre car-whats done is done and you cant turn back the hands of time. I am not gonna sit here and chant vinny this vinny that because he is a grown man and can defend himself. I knew him for years back from 01 when i had a really good friend of his build and tune a motor for me back in the day and he learned everything from him and stands behind him till this day. dont really know why youre SO SALTY about the guys at vtr spending some extra wrench time getting my car to do what we planned-i dont claim to run 11's, i did-good luck-

I'm salty about the experience because when you take $7k, ask for $300 for rush shipping on the kit...then take 3 weeks to do a job that they apparently did 50+ times....you kinda start feeling like customer service isn't a concern.....Vinny may not be able to defend himself because he hasn't shown up anywhere on this topic....all of his groupies seem to do it for him....Vinny and I fell out because he can't handle people demanding to get their money's worth when they pay big money and there's no progress....1 guy jr mechanic sick shuts the whole company down for 3 weeks??? please....if he wasn't rushing to get the car out to escape further complaints.....maybe he would have remembered to tune the car down....

Sorry...left this out originally....the FULL story about the experience is bad customer service, and bad advice that the manufacturer of the kit doesn't even agree with.

as for 11's...good for you...i never had plans to take my car to the track to blaze the qtr...but when you tell that story you should also add in the fact that your day ended with a broken axle when Vinny tried to tell you how to run it harder....he told me that himself. Also how long did it take you to realize that he took your brembo's off and put on fake powder-coated OEM calipers in the rear to fit under the drag radials/rims you put on the car?? you should check if they were changed back!

Last edited by jadenz350; 05-06-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:23 AM
SlideFox

^^^For a momment there I thought you were posting about VRT not VTR
Old 05-06-2008, 06:33 AM
jadenz350

Originally Posted by all yankees

I agree i have a right to be angry about my experience...not sure I follow your comment fully but let me try and answer....I knew nothing about a turbo kit but had a desire to do a project on my daily driver....so i consulted an"expert". Let me clarify now...that I originally planned to just go with the TT kit and VTR only does JWT. In discussing options down the line Vinny made the point that if I wanted to go bigger...its better to get the 700 kit now ($500 difference) than to buy the 530 kit today and upgrade to the 700's later (i think the costs would be $2k not sure if that include the labor too) - the main point here is he assured me that the 700 would work fine on the stock motor.....he is not the only shop that feels this way as I also READ the same thing on AAM's site (look under the JWT kit and you'll see that they too think the kit can work on the stock motor...then at the end list optional upgrades to take advantage of the power you can make...but not a pre-requisite to using the kit) - at no point did VTR say you need all of this other stuff as a pre-requisite....so economically the upgrade made sense to do at the time......with the assurances of my hired genius...your god.

I am not the guy that got a FREE engine from Nissan....I actually paid Vinny ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS (which at first he told me would be $300...but that's another story) and he told me he could get NISSAN to replace it. I'm assuming he was knowledgable enough to make the point to Nissan that something else caused the engine failure....otherwise what your implying is that he and the dealership defrauded NISSAN since the warranty is no good after you go FI....because I care not to know how this all worked out....i was willing to not talk about it....you've now opened a whole different door.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 AM
jadenz350

see i told everyone.....people make their own decisions....but will now have something in their minds to balance....good luck. I'm sure I have put enough pressure on the shop for them to make sure they don't do **** like this again.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 AM
jadenz350

^^^For a momment there I thought you were posting about VRT not VTR

personally, I think VTR could be the east coast branch of VRT....
Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Highway Riding

see i told everyone.....people make their own decisions....but will now have something in their minds to balance....good luck. I'm sure I have put enough pressure on the shop for them to make sure they don't do **** like this again.
Best of luck to ya in the future ... I'm new to the Z game and now just learning about where to go and who to listen too. I'm sure these guys (mechanics) will be seeing a huge jump in Z's to be modified as all the lease returns come back and as they become more and more affordable so information really is priceless as well as learning from others mistakes is also priceless.(even if the mistake was not solely made on ur part which is the hardest part to deal with) again best of luck and hope all work with future mods..
Old 05-06-2008, 06:50 AM
AlwaysNBoost

I'm salty about the experience because when you take $7k, ask for $300 for rush shipping on the kit...then take 3 weeks to do a job that they apparently did 50+ times....you kinda start feeling like customer service isn't a concern.....Vinny may not be able to defend himself because he hasn't shown up anywhere on this topic....all of his groupies seem to do it for him....Vinny and I fell out because he can't handle people demanding to get their money's worth when they pay big money and there's no progress....1 guy jr mechanic sick shuts the whole company down for 3 weeks??? please....if he wasn't rushing to get the car out to escape further complaints.....maybe he would have remembered to tune the car down....

as for 11's...good for you...i never had plans to take my car to the track to blaze the qtr...but when you tell that story you should also add in the fact that your day ended with a broken axle when Vinny tried to tell you how to run it harder....he told me that himself. Also how long did it take you to realize that he took your brembo's off and put on fake powder-coated OEM calipers in the rear to fit under the drag radials/rims you put on the car?? you should check if they were changed back!
wow congrats are you making no fcking sense,so what i broke a stock axle from a track edition z from 03 with more track and street races that u could ever imagine,at the track with slicks on-never seen that before just like you never heard of a boosted car blowing up with bigger turbos-listen kid you need to get a better understanding about boosted cars and 400hp + and street reliabilty-because from what i can read you have no clue-the game of boosted cars is unpredictable and anything can happen any real tuner will tell you that and from what it seems to me you wanted a boosted car with a lifetime bouncing off my rev limiter warranty-to me it sounds like you need a hug-oh yea and another thing vinny took my brembos off to clear the slicks big deal i have the old ones back on the car now-so what else can u dig up-make it interesting-dont be mad at me because u never saw the track, learn from youre mistakes and move on ...

Quick Reply: My VTR experience