Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Catch Can / Breather Filter Install (Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:47 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug

faaaaaaaaaawkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk... i hate you guys damnit.. whats next
Do a compression and leakdown tests before you get too nervous, but if you're building enough pressure on the street to blow your dipstick out...I would bet a significant amount of money that it's excessive blowby.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:34 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn doug I hope it's nothing serious or major with your motor. How many miles do you have on that built motor?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:12 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i read some where that dirty air filters can cause excessive crankcase pressure too.. hmm
Old 12-07-2008, 11:22 AM
drewk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, is this breather setup wrong? Or useless?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:06 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by drewk
So, is this breather setup wrong? Or useless?
Not useless....all it does is keep oil out of your intake...just like the catch can.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:13 PM
JETPILOT

That's assuming oil comes out of that drivers side breather which I found it doesn't. My hose has no oil in it. If oil did come out of the drivers side breather then now it would still come out but go all over the engine compartment wit hthe breather installed.

What Doug did does nothing. The problem is.. I'll say it again because no one is listening to me or Sharif.... under boost there is not enough cranckcase evac with the OEM PCV system operating. There are 3 or more threads on this now.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:24 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
That's assuming oil comes out of that drivers side breather which I found it doesn't. My hose has no oil in it. If oil did come out of the drivers side breather then now it would still come out but go all over the engine compartment wit hthe breather installed.

What Doug did does nothing. The problem is.. I'll say it again because no one is listening to me or Sharif.... under boost there is not enough cranckcase evac with the OEM PCV system operating. There are 3 or more threads on this now.
While that may be true, the problems that Sharif has experienced have manifested themselves during hard track sessions, not just getting on the gas for a few seconds on the street. Doug's car is blowing the freaking dipstick out...that's some MAJOR pressure to do that.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good thread Doug.

Btw... that green stuff in your plenum... Coolant?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:35 PM
doug

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
While that may be true, the problems that Sharif has experienced have manifested themselves during hard track sessions, not just getting on the gas for a few seconds on the street. Doug's car is blowing the freaking dipstick out...that's some MAJOR pressure to do that.
i was talking to ToastZ and i was wondering if the dipstick thing maybe a result of how pepboys had put my dipstick back in and i never noticed it before.. dipstick on the right side of the pipe going to the TB

i switched it back to the left side now

Originally Posted by Kirk Lazarus
Good thread Doug.

Btw... that green stuff in your plenum... Coolant?
yeah from the hose on the bottom of the upper plenum when i disconnected it..
Old 12-07-2008, 07:36 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Excellent point.

Edit: D'OH!!! Just saw doug posted a possible explanation above.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 12-07-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:47 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Doug, since you put it in the right spot....go drive it and get into boost a couple times and see if it blows out again. It might not have even been all the way in the way that pep boys put it....
Old 12-07-2008, 08:18 PM
drewk

So.... would installing the oil catch can on the drivers side be a better idea than the breather filter?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:38 PM
JonnyC

So.... would installing the oil catch can on the drivers side be a better idea than the breather filter?
No - if there is no oil/blowby coming out of the driver's side breather there would be no need for a catch can. If anything, the only thing he could do is drill out the driver's side breather tube to open it up more like JET said, or rig up a special vacuum pump.

Hopefully it's just that the dipstick was installed wrong before.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
thom000001

I say start with the basics guys.

I am not running a catchcan setup (yet, will be after cams are installed this winter. Bigger cams = less vacuum in general).
I just have a breather filter under hood.
And I run MUCH more boost than most on here (the turbos like it and can produce it), and I have NO blowby issues at this level. Now there is always some blowby, thats inherit. But even with the breather I have zero oil blowing around under the hood.

I agree Sharif's situation is not the norm. On the track he's probably never below 4K rpm, and always in full boost. So his will show the worst possible situation it could be.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:11 PM
JETPILOT

Read my blog. I wrote an article on cc ventilation under boost.

http://projectsaa2.blogspot.com/
Old 12-07-2008, 09:57 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Read my blog. I wrote an article on cc ventilation under boost.

http://projectsaa2.blogspot.com/
read your blog and think you have a logical/affordable approach to the problem.if you are going this route though you may want to terminate the system in a road draft configuration.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:01 PM
drewk

Does anyone have an actual answer ? I have a turbonetics single... I seem to be burning alot of oil, could be because of piping... but when I installed the plenum spacer ( a while back) I noticed some oil in the plenum. I have already installed the catch can on the passenger side and it seems to be doing perfect, it collected about a teaspoon of oil in 2 days of driving. My question is, will I benefit more from installing a catch can or a breather filter, on the drivers side?
Old 12-08-2008, 12:11 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Does anyone have an actual answer ? I have a turbonetics single... I seem to be burning alot of oil, could be because of piping... but when I installed the plenum spacer ( a while back) I noticed some oil in the plenum. I have already installed the catch can on the passenger side and it seems to be doing perfect, it collected about a teaspoon of oil in 2 days of driving. My question is, will I benefit more from installing a catch can or a breather filter, on the drivers side?
Don't install either on the drivers side. That's not where the oil is coming from and the airflow from there is very small. If you want to install a catch can, install it between the PCV and the intake manifold. Since I installed my catch can I no longer have any significant amount of oil in the intake manifold.

That all said my car does consume oil at a more rapid rate than it did N/A. It did it with my stock motor and the APS kit and it does it the same with my built motor and the APS kit. Most aftermarket turbo kits cause you to consume more oil, it seeps through the turbo seals and into the exhaust where it's vaporized, not burned making a sweet smell, not the classic burning oil smell.

Does your exhaust smell sweet or like burnt oil?? Sweet is just the turbo seals seeping. Burnt oil would indicate that a significant amount of oil is entering the combustion chambers either by the rings or through the valve seats.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:30 PM
thom000001

Real cars and race cars burn and drip oil

That all said my car does consume oil at a more rapid rate than it did N/A. It did it with my stock motor and the APS kit and it does it the same with my built motor and the APS kit. Most aftermarket turbo kits cause you to consume more oil, it seeps through the turbo seals and into the exhaust where it's vaporized, not burned making a sweet smell, not the classic burning oil smell.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM
doug

Spoilsofwar fixed the TN problem..

here you go.. https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...g-exhaust.html

read that whole thread

Quick Reply: Catch Can / Breather Filter Install (Lots of Pics)