MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   Coolant Bypass Line (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/412611-coolant-bypass-line.html)

JETPILOT 01-24-2009 09:31 PM

Coolant Bypass Line

I was thinking of removing the coolant bypass hose on the front of my motor. This is the hose that crosses the front of the motor and allows coolant to bypass the radiator and thermostat and re-enter the block.

I wanted to know what the purpose of this line was? Was it to provide coolant to the water pump when the thermostat was closed to prevent the pump from cavitating without a supply of coolant?

Quadcam removed it and said he has no ill effects, but I am thinking that driving around town at low RPM is one thing and that track use is another.

Anyone know the purpose of this line?

QuadCam 01-25-2009 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by JETPILOT (Post 6860245)
Quadcam removed it and said he has no ill effects, but I am thinking that driving around town at low RPM is one thing and that track use is another.

You make it sound like I drive like a little old blue-haired granny. :dunno: WTF???

captj3 01-25-2009 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuadCam (Post 6860749)
You make it sound like I drive like a little old blue-haired granny. :dunno: WTF???

You do live in florida...lol

JETPILOT 01-25-2009 11:22 AM

You drive like a little biatch with your 400whp! Don't pretend like your a big dawg... becasue I'm about to ball this!

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertai...kin-aces-2.jpg

Quamen 01-25-2009 11:26 AM

I think coolant can bypass through the port on the side of the block next to the thermostat if needed. I don't have the bypass but I also am not running a thermostat right now. I am putting one back in though.

JETPILOT 01-25-2009 11:57 AM

That's where the coolant bypass line goes. To the side of the block. So if you remove it what happens?

Quamen 01-25-2009 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by JETPILOT (Post 6861733)
That's where the coolant bypass line goes. To the side of the block. So if you remove it what happens?

The hard pipe is still connected to the rear coolant pipe.

JETPILOT 01-25-2009 01:34 PM

There is a reason they made the bypass hose. It's not there to be ornamental.

350 Rookie 01-25-2009 02:55 PM

Remove it and let us all know the results.

Sharif@Forged 01-25-2009 02:57 PM

Take it off. It serves no purpose on a track car, and very small purpose on a street car.

All you need is an upper and lower rad hose for a track car. And man, the engine bay will look so uncluttered without it. Also remove your oil filter heater/warmer hoses as well. One less hose to leak or blow out on you. :)

350 Rookie 01-25-2009 03:01 PM

How do we block off the hard line.

Blackbird CPV35 01-25-2009 03:07 PM

cut and weld, or you can drill and tap if you so chose

350 Rookie 01-25-2009 03:08 PM

well i can weld but i was tryin to avoid that just in case i want that hose back on someday. LOL

jtgli 01-25-2009 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged (Post 6862313)
Take it off. It serves no purpose on a track car, and very small purpose on a street car.

All you need is an upper and lower rad hose for a track car. And man, the engine bay will look so uncluttered without it. Also remove your oil filter heater/warmer hoses as well. One less hose to leak or blow out on you. :)

So what purpose does it serve for on a street car? And to be clear we are talking about that soft line that goes across the motor right?

JETPILOT 01-25-2009 04:04 PM

Yes.... it's the soft line that goes in front of the motor. I'm still interested to know the purpose too.

QuadCam 01-25-2009 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged (Post 6862313)
And man, the engine bay will look so uncluttered without it. Also remove your oil filter heater/warmer hoses as well. One less hose to leak or blow out on you. :)

I already threw his sh!t in the trash, last week. :thumbup:

QuadCam 01-25-2009 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by JETPILOT (Post 6862555)
Yes.... it's the soft line that goes in front of the motor. I'm still interested to know the purpose too.

to speed up the engine getting up to operating temperature so that the engine will produce the lowest amount of emission possible. as you know, during warm-up, the ecus are programmed to run rich which is bad for emissions. so, the faster that they can get the engine to operating temperature, the lower the emissions rating that nissan can get for the engine.

chopperman 01-25-2009 06:09 PM

What kind of differnece in times are we talking about here? Seconds, Minutes?

JETPILOT 01-25-2009 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by QuadCam (Post 6862833)
to speed up the engine getting up to operating temperature so that the engine will produce the lowest amount of emission possible. as you know, during warm-up, the ecus are programmed to run rich which is bad for emissions. so, the faster that they can get the engine to operating temperature, the lower the emissions rating that nissan can get for the engine.

I don't believe that. You don't need a bypass line to do that. Just let the coolant sit in the block it will get hot just as quick. If the pump is turning 3000rpm with insufficient amount of coolant flow it will probably cavitate. The bypass feeds the pump while the thermostat is closed. I believe that's the reason it's there.

westpak 01-25-2009 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by JETPILOT (Post 6863040)
I don't believe that. You don't need a bypass line to do that. Just let the coolant sit in the block it will get hot just as quick. If the pump is turning 3000rpm with insufficient amount of coolant flow it will probably cavitate. The bypass feeds the pump while the thermostat is closed. I believe that's the reason it's there.

That is what I was thinking, the only other source of coolant would seem to be the heater hose, this probably would not matter if you run without a thermostat