Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Rear Mount Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:14 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by athensgls
Could turbo blankets be used to solve this problem?

like this baby
IMO, no. The problem is the amount of heat that is disbursed before even reaching the turbo. The hotter the gas, the better it will be able to spool up the turbine.

So, I'd suggest running straight pipes off of the stock manifolds and wrapping the crap out of them to keep in as much heat as possible.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:17 PM
athensgls
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we'll see were things go
Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 PM
SH Luciano

Originally Posted by JTinFL
I would just talk to some STS Z owners to see what they say. Even with 400whp the car would only run high 12 and trap 110-112 on a good day.
I had a touch over 400whp on my aps st kit and ran an 11.80 @ almost 121mph...with a 1.8 60'

i think your estimates are a little low, considering i am by no means a "driver"...
Old 08-13-2009, 04:28 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ u need to post your slip here https://my350z.com/forum/drag/233840...ons-stock.html

Thats the 6th fastest ST on the forums
Old 08-13-2009, 08:57 PM
SH Luciano

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^^ u need to post your slip here https://my350z.com/forum/drag/233840...ons-stock.html

Thats the 6th fastest ST on the forums
It's posted...
Old 08-16-2009, 04:22 PM
athensgls
Banned

grats
Old 08-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

just do it and lets see some results/pictures of it.

lots of people always talk about doing these DIY type of set ups, but very few have actually done it.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 PM
ekelly36

Any updates?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
streetzlegend

athensgls, It is said that having the turbos in the rear provides less spool up, since there is a drop in velocity(due to the drop in temperature with distance), therefore needing smaller turbos, I believe this to be somewhat false. Physics wise, yes its true, however with the right setup, you can have the turbo(s) spooling as fast or even faster than a front mount setup.

This is based on my experience, I custom made my own rear mount turbo setup on my car. The first rear mount on a Maxima, ever!(there is an endless thread of my build on maxima.org) Now, I learned that as stated in a post here, you need a few passes to warm up the exhaust housing enough to give you a consistant spool and power response. I solved this by wrapping my piping from the ypipe all the way back to the flange at the turbo (without wrapping the actual housing or my headers); The difference this made was day and night.

I had a t04b .69ar exhaust and .60ar compressor housing, I was spooling the turbo slightly SOONER than the exact same turbo mounted on another maxima in the front. Also another myth, you NEED an intercooler, just because there is more piping in the charge side, does not mean its going to be cooler, I proved this with numerous IAT logs, which i no longer have since this was about 3 years ago. I currently have a diesel turbo HX35 with same rear mount setup, I also have a vq35 now, and let me tell you. I cant stay out of boost. just daily driving the thing wants to spool up right away. I brake boost (automatic) from a stop at 1500rpm with about 30% throttle, and i get about 3psi. I get about 10psi in first gear (without brake boosting, just flooring it from a stop), then full boost of 15psit as soon as 2nd gear comes in. btw, this is from an 8.8:1 compression vq35de, meaning on stock compression, it responded even better.

All I am saying with all this information is; dont plan your setup with smaller turbos just because its in the back, spinning the turbos is not going to be an issue, if its not an issue with a front mount setup, dont worry about it. go with the same size the front mount guys do. Wrap all your piping properly. I dont need X amount of runs to be able to get a good strong run, my first pull I am already getting my optimum power, the secret is in the wrapping. Hope my info is any useful. The biggest headache you will probably face is the oiling. I think even the STS kits have small issues with oiling and smoke, etc..
Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
nyqueenz

Originally Posted by athensgls
Ive been running over creative ideas for inovative turbo options for my next build and stumbled across the STS lables turbo chargers. Im familiar with their single kit and know its flaws and its advantages. I personaly love the sound of the turbos through the exhaust (911 turbo + straight pipes = ultimate :-D). Ive been running the idea of doing twin turbo rear mount setup utilizing the STS universaltwin turbo kit, upgrading all the parts to good stuff.
Turbos - Turbonetics gtk 350 x2
Intercooler - will utlize one intercooler in each side of the g35 front bumper to allow air flow much like the JWT and SFR kits.
EMS - FCON V pro with all asessories
Fuel - DW 600cc injectors
Meth- Alcohol injection Systems
wastegate - tial 38MM open dumped
Blow off valve - Tial 50mm
Gauges - zeitronix touch screen + HKS navigator
Boost controll - HKS evc VI

I was wondering if anyone has done this or any input in general so i can get some feed back and continue to look into design and ferther research.
waste of time and money.. my two cents.. it will be very difficult to run a dual TT setup in the rear like you want to do. Just image the LAG and Piping required for this kit.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:49 PM
nyqueenz

qoute: I personaly love the sound of the turbos through the exhaust (911 turbo + straight pipes = ultimate :-D).

If you really wanna go sick, then buy a Porsche rear eng/trans setup and install it on your Z.. thats sick.. but doing 2x turbo rear mount.. no way bro.. it's a FAIL from da beginning.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 AM
ekelly36

Originally Posted by nyqueenz
qoute: I personaly love the sound of the turbos through the exhaust (911 turbo + straight pipes = ultimate :-D).

If you really wanna go sick, then buy a Porsche rear eng/trans setup and install it on your Z.. thats sick.. but doing 2x turbo rear mount.. no way bro.. it's a FAIL from da beginning.
Generally you cant fail until you try.... people cant see past what the rest of the majority does.... If it will work on a V8 there is no reason why it wont work on a VQ.....

Just do it and then show some good numbers and track times that will shut alot of people up.....
Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 AM
streetzlegend

Originally Posted by ekelly36
Generally you cant fail until you try.... people cant see past what the rest of the majority does.... If it will work on a V8 there is no reason why it wont work on a VQ.....

Just do it and then show some good numbers and track times that will shut alot of people up.....
same responses I got when I was doing my RMT build, "its a failure", "3.0 not going to spool the turbo" etc..., and now I got people copying my setup in the maxima community because of how succesful it was.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

People here tend to talk too much about ideas they dream of, instead of getting under the car and working.

I built my own kit as well (link in sig.) , I did the research and jumped right in. First turbo build for me and no problems. In other words, do the research, get the parts that you think you will need and get to it.