Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blown Vortech, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would wait for that final quote before you start planning on future stuff, esp if you arent building your longblock or doing the install yourself.

You say your motor blew, what specifically went? Spun a bearing?

the link for the warranty isnt working? Was that Function tuned warranty where if they install FI on a stock block it wont blow?

good luck!

Last edited by str8dum1; 08-19-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:51 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...y-program.html
Old 08-19-2009, 09:52 AM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g35keys
Pretty sure your talking about the Maryland shop but my cars sitting at the same shop Cass car was at in VA.
D@MN !!! Not again !!

I edited post #19

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i would wait for that final quote before you start planning on future stuff, esp if you arent building your longblock or doing the install yourself.

You say your motor blew, what specifically went? Spun a bearing?

the link for the warranty isnt working? Was that Function tuned warranty where if they install FI on a stock block it wont blow?

good luck!
I was hoping it was not FT again......If they wont do the tear down for him at their cost ...he will have to prove on his own that he deserves the warranty he paid for....Going to IP or FP or PF in his area for an outside opinion is the only way I can see for him at this point.

Last edited by XKR; 08-19-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:17 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by XKR
I was hoping it was not FT again......If they wont do the tear down for him at their cost ...he will have to prove on his own that he deserves the warranty he paid for....Going to IP or FP or PF in his area for an outside opinion is the only way I can see for him at this point.
It seems the decision (to void the warranty) has already been made.

If they take all the time for a teardown you think they will have a change of heart?

Doubtful when 'lack of oil' can be both a cause and result of a particular failure. The cards are stacked against the OP.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:36 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
D@MN !!! Not again !!

I edited post #19

I'm tired of seeing this kinda epic fail bullsh*t from the infamous mid-A shop threesome.

Dave is not helping his reputation by backing out on his famous (or is it now infamous?) Function Tuned Stock Block FI Warranty Program.

Sorry to hear about your situation OP. I hope that the publicity of this thread will compel Dave to step up and do the right thing to take care of you.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by g35keys
Ask us about adding head studs, head gaskets with your order.
Shipping and Core Charge ($1500) will apply. Most shortblocks are in stock, or a max 2 weeks leadtime.

I got a quote of higher from the shop I'm assuming they'll charge me more since my motor is done? Or will they accept my done motor?
if you motor can be rebuilt they will accept it as a core. gaskets and studs are that expensive.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i stopped reading after i realized u thought it was ok to run 3000-5000 miles without changing ur oil and being F.I....lol

dude u should have changed ur oil at least at 2500 miles..ive been supercharged for 7k miles now and already changed my oil 3 times..no problems to date..knock on wood..good luck
Old 08-19-2009, 10:44 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
i stopped reading after i realized u thought it was ok to run 3000-5000 miles without changing ur oil and being F.I....lol

dude u should have changed ur oil at least at 2500 miles..ive been supercharged for 7k miles now and already changed my oil 3 times..no problems to date..knock on wood..good luck
Umm yea...do you have blackstone reports on what you took out showing that you were near the end of your oil's life? Who said you can't go 3k on FI oil when its mainly daily driven miles?

I changed my first FI oil after 3k and have the Blackstone report to prove there was plenty of life left and no problems with what came out. That includes dozens of dyno runs and a track day.

Dave even comments that the oil was 'totally black' as a sign of abuse. So was mine...good oil turns black when it's doing its job. I couldn't even see a flashlight through the oil held up to the 3oz container and it was still fine.

Tech never tracked his, did dyno runs, or anything else required of him to preserve the "warranty". We roll together most of the time...I can vouch for this 100%.

Last edited by djamps; 08-19-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:46 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by djamps
It seems the decision (to void the warranty) has already been made.

If they take all the time for a teardown you think they will have a change of heart?

Doubtful when 'lack of oil' can be both a cause and result of a particular failure. The cards are stacked against the OP.
And this is where most will call BS on this......A warranty is a warranty!!! I am starting to see a trend here.....

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
I'm tired of seeing this kinda epic fail bullsh*t from the infamous mid-A shop threesome.

Dave is not helping his reputation by backing out on his famous (or is it now infamous?) Function Tuned Stock Block FI Warranty Program.

Sorry to hear about your situation OP. I hope that the publicity of this thread will compel Dave to step up and do the right thing to take care of you.
I hope the same.....this is getting to be too much in this community !!

Umm yea...

I changed my first FI oil after 3k and have the Blackstone report to prove there was plenty of life left and no problems with what came out. That includes dozens of dyno runs and a track day.

Dave even comments that the oil was 'totally black' as a sign of abuse. So was mine...good oil turns black when it's doing its job. I couldn't even see a flashlight through the oil held up to the 3oz container and it was still fine.

Tech never tracked his, did dyno runs, or anything else required to preserve the "warranty".
If you dont beat on the car or boost it alot...I dont see anything wrong with 3K oil changes....especially if you use good oil...

Last edited by XKR; 08-19-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

I just bumped the FT warranty thread with a link to this one.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Oh no...

Edit: OP, when they tuned your car, was there any paper work to do for warranty? Did he explain to you about how warranty works?

Last edited by Chef-J; 08-19-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:15 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by XKR
If you dont beat on the car or boost it alot...I dont see anything wrong with 3K oil changes....especially if you use good oil...
'beating' on the car is certainly subjective..

Tech being new to VQ FI had full trust in Dave to sell him everything he needed to be a reliable daily driver and sold him a warranty to top everything off.

No oil cooler, no gauges, stock cats / exhaust, a flash tune and 12psi pushing ~400whp on a DD (450+ DJ?). You make the decision.

But hey, it has (had) a warranty, so why question it especially being a n00b?

Last edited by djamps; 08-19-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:19 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

by the wording of that warranty (which only seems to cover rods and pistons, not damage due to spun bearings or whatever it was that failed), i dont think Dave should cover it.

Although, by having him only remove 1 qt of oil at the time of change, certainly didnt help matters.

ouch. good luck!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

by the wording of that warranty (which only seems to cover rods and pistons, not damage due to spun bearings or whatever it was that failed), i dont think Dave should cover it.

Although, by having him only remove 1 qt of oil at the time of change, certainly didnt help matters.

ouch. good luck!
I have been sitting back on this, and I think it is truly unfortunate. If the car only had 1qt of oil in it, I can't see how he should cover it. Maybe I don't have all the details, and I certainly hope it is resolved.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Tech being new to VQ FI had full trust in Dave to sell him everything he needed to be a reliable daily driver and sold him a warranty to top everything off.

No oil cooler, no gauges, stock cats / exhaust, a flash tune and 12psi pushing ~400whp on a DD (450+ DJ?). You make the decision.

Whaaaaaaaaaat??????
Old 08-19-2009, 11:25 AM
djamps

Who said it was a bearing that failed? From the sound tech said it made when it seized up I'd say the motor threw up on itself internally (technical terms LOL).

Just to be clear, nobody denied the motor had little oil left in it when it failed. The problem is that we checked it 8 days and again 7 days before and it had an acceptable amount of oil in it.

Could a 'piston failure' cause excessive OC? Somehow the motor suddenly went through at least 4 qts in less than 7 days then boom.

These are questions that need to be asked.

Last edited by djamps; 08-19-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:25 AM
XKR

WOW....let me say it again....WOW......If you dont mind...could you tell me or PM the price of the warranty??
Old 08-19-2009, 11:27 AM
g35keys

As Djamps said the car was never tracked EVER I was too worried about breaking the warranty even though I wanted to go, I mean all my G buddies were going.

Originally Posted by tylerxfire

Tyler I'm not sure how it seams odd/weird/whatever you may call it for thinking syn. oil that JUST made it to 3k should be changed at 2500 I changed regular oil at 2500.

Originally Posted by Nexx
if you motor can be rebuilt they will accept it as a core. gaskets and studs are that expensive.
I have no clue if the motor can be rebuilt
Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 AM
CRIDDA

Good luck OP.

On a side note: Here we go again
Old 08-19-2009, 11:52 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A sad day....

Quick Reply: Blown Vortech, please help