Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blown Vortech, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Jay'z and XKR, you guys are pro...i can NOT even keep up with one thread!!! Can we put it all together...since it's just same topic? lol
No we cannot do that, you must keep up little grasshoppa!!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Driven1
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRuggernDC
FYI: Drag racing your car voids your warranty. Drifting your car on the street is the exact same as drifting your car at the track. Hence, does not void warranty. That's what my understanding of the specific warranty in question is. As I asked prior to taking it on the track to DRFIT only.
Then please tell me why BMW voided a warranty on a 2009 M3 couple when the diff blew up and their reason was...."you had it at the track" and they knew is was nothing more than HPDE.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
.....Chef-J....you a bad boy !!!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Originally Posted by XKR
.....Chef-J....you a bad boy !!!

Dammm TT guys...
Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
Well this is interesting just got confirmation from a very good customer and friend of g35keys. According to the secondary customer the oil level was never checked since the install and the car was heavily abused. Please await photos of the draining of oil.
O'RYLY? Haven't seen anything posted yet to corroborate this. And the mystery source who is calling the OP and djamps liars would be???

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
well this is way out of porportion, this group is so quick to point fingers and start drama. The default responce from all of you is that Tech was trying asking abuot some sort of legal issue about getting his car fixed when if fact...

he was simply asking about what should he do for the next application. He isnt asking about what he should do or not do to or against the tuner. He is asking that now that he has to make a move should he remain with a stock block with this set up with more free flowing exhaust mods

or

because of the power levels, go with a built block?

Thats why I NEVER post on 350z anymore....everyone gets all butt hurt like it was their car, none of you know or understand the situation fully so your opinions are useless.
Obviously, you don't know or understand the situation fully either. Your post is inaccurate. Like Mike stated... You don't know all the facts or what the OP said in PM's.

Originally Posted by Cass007
Is it you that had the other block for sale. If so, get me specs and price, I should probably keep a spare on hand.
Let's hope you never need another motor my friend.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 08-21-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:51 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

ATTENTION XKR - PLEASE READ and RESPOND

He paid nothing extra for the warranty. We only require that the customer use the recommended mix of parts and have us install and tune the system. This is to insure that all parts are installed properly and that tuning is done by me. I do not even require that the parts are purchased from us. All labor and tuning charges are the same if a customer was to install only certain parts or do a full warranty coverage install.

I actually went above and beyond for g35keys and covered him at a higher then normal boost level. This was our agreement. He would put headers and test pipes as quickly as possible to lower the effective boost level. The install was completed 6/5/09. It took him almost 1.5 months to get the test pipes (which are not installed). Although I still don't think he has the headers, only the test pipes.
XKR - Do you plan to continue to ignore this post? My recommended mix of parts is the same that you would tell anyone with FI to use. I provide a warranty on the stock pistons and rods if they install the kit and use these parts at NO ADDITIONAL COST. Where do you stand on this issue now that you understand that fact?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

There was no oil issue expressed or implied by the customer whatsoever.

There was a fuel leak issue that g35keys and djamps corrected because the customer lived 1.5 hours away. I expressed to him that he should bring it to the shop but that driving with a fuel leak might be dangerous.

The oil was checked at the time of the fuel leak (no oil leak).

djamps - I can guess what happened and anyone with VQ experience will say this is well within the realm of possibility. Actually in my phone conversations with g35keys he accepted this as a possibility.

When checking a fuel leak that car is started because pressure is lost in the fuel system with a RFS (most of it) and you need the car running to generate consistant pressure. The oil was most likely checked close to the time after the car was started. On a VQ you MUST wait 5 to 10 minutes for the oil to fall of the dipstick. I actually check the oil 3 to 5 times over a period of a few minutes to see if I note small decreases in level.

Here is a synopsis:

1. NO OIL LEAK Expressed or implied by the customer
  2. Fuel Leak - Diagnosed by customer, unsafe to drive with fuel leak, customer 1.5 hours away
  3. Oil level checked after motor was run to check fuel leak
  4. Time period between start and level check unknown but short
  5. Possible mis-read of oil level due to recent start
  6. Warranty covers the stock pistons and rods
  7. I have verbal confirmation from a good friend of g35keys who was there the day this happened. He expressed under no undue stress or questioning from me that g35keys has never checked the oil himself since the original install on 6/5/09. The comment from the other customer was made in an off-handed manor and in a totally "by mistake" way.
  8. All this information is supposition. All I can know as fact is that we took a little more then 1 qt of oil out of the motor.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:13 AM
jtgli

Seems like Dave has some pretty solid info here. I do have one question though about the warrenty. Just to make sure, the warrenty does not protect again a spun rod bearing or any other failure other than the rods and pistions? J/W. But OP get in contact with Dave, Im sure he'll help you resolve this no matter what. Dave has always taken good care of me and I know he'd do the same for you. OP good luck with everything.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Originally Posted by jtgli
Seems like Dave has some pretty solid info here. I do have one question though about the warrenty. Just to make sure, the warrenty does not protect again a spun rod bearing or any other failure other than the rods and pistions? J/W. But OP get in contact with Dave, Im sure he'll help you resolve this no matter what. Dave has always taken good care of me and I know he'd do the same for you. OP good luck with everything.
That is to general a question. What caused the rod bearing failure? Generally rod bearings fail due to oil starvation. or mechanical defect. If there is a tuning or install related issue that rod will bend or snap first. The rod bearing would become a secondary issue not a primary issue.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:30 AM
XKR

ATTENTION XKR - PLEASE READ and RESPOND

XKR - Do you plan to continue to ignore this post? My recommended mix of parts is the same that you would tell anyone with FI to use. I provide a warranty on the stock pistons and rods if they install the kit and use these parts at NO ADDITIONAL COST. Where do you stand on this issue now that you understand that fact?
Here is what I said before...and this covers the entire subject...

1) The OP has a warranty from your shop....(both you and the OP agree to that)
2) The OP stated that he was losing oil from the get-go.Also had a fuel leak.

Now those are the facts that were presented to us. If the above is correct....you should honor the warranty. If its found out that after the OP discovered the rapid lose of oil..and he kept beating on the car without checking it.....well what can I say??....maybe he had plans for a built motor

You are saying that ..Yes....there is a warranty...but there was no oil leak. You stated that you were told that the OP drives the car hard....which mean nothing at this point. Neglect after driving hard is more the point and i agree that would void the warranty.

Now that both side are speaking up.....I told the OP its at the point where only you 2 can settle this. The OP said the car was bleeding oil.....but your findings say the opposite. What else can be said Dave ?? This has now become a toss up....Heads you pay....Tails he pays.

Now my personal opinion.....Giving a car with that much boost with a warranty on a STOCK BLOCK is asking for more drama in the future.. Let me repeat....I am not on the OP's side or Dave's side.......I received the facts...and that's what I was going by.

Last edited by XKR; 08-21-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:44 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by XKR
Correct. And we all agreed that Dave honored a warranty was nice of him but at the same time also a mistake knowing that the OP needs a certain supporting mods

Originally Posted by XKR
Right and Dave did ask him to bring the car back? No? But due to the long drive, OP and a friend decided to take on the instructions and fixed it themselves. I can see both sides' POV though. Dave can't forced a customer to bring a car in. The customer thinks it's a quick fix. Perhaps at this point Dave should've laid down the law and said the warranty won't take effect anymore if you don't bring the car in within X amount of time.

Originally Posted by XKR
Now those are the facts that were presented to us. If the above is correct....you should honor the warranty.
Hmmm... that doesn't sound too convincing still since there WAS communication with issues regarding to oil/fuel. There's no solid conclusion to this yet in a logical point of view.

Originally Posted by XKR
You are saying that ..Yes....there is a warranty...but there was no oil leak. You stated that you were told that the OP drives the car hard....which mean nothing at this point. Neglect after driving hard is more the point and i agree that would void the warranty.
I don't think anyone had mentioned about the warranty being voided because of "driving hard". The whole driving style was brought up when everyone was trying to discover the reason why oil was burning up quick.

Originally Posted by XKR
Now that both side are speaking up.....I told the OP its at the point where only you 2 can settle this. The OP said the car was bleeding oil.....but your findings say the opposite. What else can be said Dave ?? This has now become a toss up....Heads you pay....Tails he pays.
Yes THIS should really be the discussion point as to the exact reason why there was an oil lost. And again what if there is no conclusion as to why? Who should suck up the cost? I know both Dave and Tech personally. SO trust me when I say my opinion in neutral.

Originally Posted by XKR
Now my personal opinion.....Giving a car with that much boost with a warranty on a STOCK BLOCK is asking for more drama in the future.. Let me repeat....I am not on the OP's side or Dave's side.......I received the facts...and that's what I was going by.
You're totally right in that bolded sentence.

Last edited by bb1314; 08-21-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 AM
g35keys

As I said yesterday, I'm handling this verbally with Dave, it's not as if we aren't on speaking terms. We could see each others POV when we spoke and where things "went down hill" At this point as I said in the other post entertaining other ideas. If I press forward I have to drive up there anyways to give him headers and he'll do his thing in the shop and get this back on the road and I'll cut my loses and check things way more frequent. He said he'd help out on some pricing so I appreciate that but as to which things I'm going to keep personal to myself. Thanks for certain input.

Ethan I'll be back up and running one way or another and we'll still do the one mod. GIve me a call when you get a chance.

I thought this would be closed by the morning but I'll let it sit till noon than delete it, I feel it could go down hill again on he said she said.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:44 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Originally Posted by XKR
Here is what I said before...and this covers the entire subject...

Where is that stated?

Originally Posted by XKR
Now those are the facts that were presented to us. If the above is correct....you should honor the warranty. If its found out that after the OP discovered the rapid lose of oil..and he kept beating on the car without checking it.....well what can I say??....maybe he had plans for a built motor
The warranty is limited in its scope and you should take the time to read through the original warranty post. This is not a dealer warranty cover all. If you are using a dealer warranty as basis then you cannot come to the correct conclusion. Thus the situation of incorrectness you are currently in.

Originally Posted by XKR
Driving the car hard again as I stated would cause excessive oil consumption but has nothing to the warranty. You are using my words and twisting them. The warranty is and will be continued to be denied based on the fact that there was 1 QT of oil in the motor! I have customers that drive their cars much harder...I personally drive their cars harder (with their approval) and they have ZERO issues.

So 150 FI install and tunes. No blown motors. One car with 1 QT of oil in it. Blown motor. Logic dictates that it is not a warranty issue but a customer negligence issue.

If you fail to see the facts and continue to twist words then I can assume nothing more then you have a personal motive in the situation. What it is or why it is I have no idea.

Originally Posted by XKR
And you dialog is of no help other then to up your post count and escalate the situation.

Originally Posted by XKR
Everything you state is based on your position that I shouldn't provide a warranty? Are you attempting to teach me how to run my business by not giving customers the highest level of service that no other shop in the country is willing to offer?

I would expect a little more humility from someone that can't build their own car, especially when it comes to a mater of mechanical failure and your remoteness from the situation.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:29 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Where is that stated?

The warranty is limited in its scope and you should take the time to read through the original warranty post. This is not a dealer warranty cover all. If you are using a dealer warranty as basis then you cannot come to the correct conclusion. Thus the situation of incorrectness you are currently in.

Driving the car hard again as I stated would cause excessive oil consumption but has nothing to the warranty. You are using my words and twisting them. The warranty is and will be continued to be denied based on the fact that there was 1 QT of oil in the motor! I have customers that drive their cars much harder...I personally drive their cars harder (with their approval) and they have ZERO issues.

So 150 FI install and tunes. No blown motors. One car with 1 QT of oil in it. Blown motor. Logic dictates that it is not a warranty issue but a customer negligence issue.

If you fail to see the facts and continue to twist words then I can assume nothing more then you have a personal motive in the situation. What it is or why it is I have no idea.

And you dialog is of no help other then to up your post count and escalate the situation.

Everything you state is based on your position that I shouldn't provide a warranty? Are you attempting to teach me how to run my business by not giving customers the highest level of service that no other shop in the country is willing to offer?

I would expect a little more humility from someone that can't build their own car, especially when it comes to a mater of mechanical failure and your remoteness from the situation.

Nice way to flex and fluff yourself.
  1. Your "limited" warranty looks like nothing more than a gimmick to lure naive customers.
  2. The OP initiated contact with XKR via PM regarding your refusal to honor the warranty. Go change your tampon if Mike's involvement here offends you.
  3. By "giving customers the highest level of service that no other shop in the country is willing to offer"... Do you mean doing FI installs without recommending and/or insisting that the customer have supplementary gauges to help give them early warning/detection of potential problems that could lead to a blown motor?
  4. I would expect a little more humility from a shop that has struggled and thus far failed to produce a Z or G that makes 700+whp.
  5. Good luck OP.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 08-21-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Nice way to flex and fluff yourself.
  1. Your "limited" warranty looks like nothing more than a gimmick to lure naive customers.
  2. The OP initiated contact with XKR via PM regarding your refusal to honor the warranty. Go change your tampon if Mike's involvement here offends you.
  3. By "giving customers the highest level of service that no other shop in the country is willing to offer"... Do you mean doing FI installs without recommending and/or insisting that the customer have supplementary gauges to help give them early warning/detection of potential problems that could lead to a blown motor?
  4. I would expect a little more humility from a shop that has struggled and thus far failed to produce a Z or G that makes 700+whp.
How does the warranty look like a gimmick? If I haven't blown up a motor then how is it not doing what it should do?

The customer was recommended gauges. He did not have the budget. Your point is void.

Just because my clientele has different goals doesn't mean I'm incapable. Cass's car produced 640 DD WHP. The engine builder that did the third party teardown has stated that the motor did not fail due to tuning. Tuning was my only involvement in the project. I'm the one stepping up to the plate because I want the customer taken care of.

There is an exact replica of Cass's car here at the shop that I assembled completely myself. Justice assembled the short block. I guess you'll just have to wait and see how that turns out instead of jumping to false conclusions.

The car here has no oil pressure issues.

Seems you have fallen into the failed logic of XKR.

You realize that you're now viewed as part of this group right?

"
Originally Posted by Alberto
Big numbers, lack of mental capacity, small budget, no driving skills, and no common sense is what us regulars have to deal with daily inside the FI forums."

Last edited by DaveFunction2ND; 08-21-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:43 AM
XKR

Where is that stated?

Dave... its no secret on here that I cant tell the difference between a screw driver or a wrench.....But I do have an understanding of what it takes to maintain a car....and also how to comprehend a warranty.

I was not trying to tell you how to run your business....I was giving you my opinion of offering a warranty on a stock motor with high boost.....because one day you may come across an A hole like me for a customer.....because if this were my car....and I KNEW FOR A FACT that oil consumption was an issue and my motor failed.....and you declined my warranty.....we would not be on here discussing this.....we would both be in front of a man/women in a black robe......now thats a fact...

I am not going to turn this into a pissing match with you......like I said....I have nothing personal against you or as you have stated "I can assume nothing more then you have a personal motive in the situation"....

The OP or his friend mention somewhere that the oil issue was discovered prior to the fuel leak and you were notified....it was also stated that you did not address that.....he gave us time lines and we went from there.Now forget about the OP.....Once again....if that were me and I knew that to be true....well you know the rest.....

The OP has asked to drop this about his car...so I will.....but feel free to make this about me and you.

Last edited by XKR; 08-21-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:52 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

And feel free to spin our sig quotes back at us. You obviously know nothing about our budgets, our driving skills, or our builds. Doubt you have done a build of XKR's or my caliber.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 08-21-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:01 AM
XKR

And feel free to spin our sig quotes back at us. You obviously know nothing about our budgets, our driving skills, or our builds. Doubt you have done a build of XKR's or my caliber.
No he didnt !!! He is using the quote from one of the Grand Masters(Alberto) in the wrong way...Shame...

BTW...you have a point there Eric....
Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Wow your post is just purely immature as it contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion and only serves as a attempt to discredit Dave and Function:Tuned? Lets drop this and get back to topic and say something that would HELP the OP?

Last edited by bb1314; 08-21-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:11 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by bb1314
Wow your post is just purely immature as it contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion and only serves as a attempt to discredit Dave and Function:Tuned? Lets drop this and get back to topic and say something that would HELP the OP?
Just responding to the oh-so-mature yet inaccurate comment by your exhaulted shop that attempted to use my own sig quote against me. I spent more on suspension mods than most folks do going FI.

And there is nothing more to say that would help the OP at this point. Dave made it clear that he is not going to cover the OP under the warranty and the OP has made it clear that he is trying to work things out with Dave and that he wants this thread locked/deleted.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 08-21-2009 at 08:13 AM.