MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   water in engine quick questions (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/455671-water-in-engine-quick-questions.html)

Speqz 09-14-2009 06:40 AM

water in engine quick questions

well people dont listen to the words that come out of my mouth and now I have water in my engine. I removed all of the water from the intercooler and charge pipes then started working my way up into plenum and IM. The plenum had small puddles which I dried up. When I got to the IM there was a white residue floating in the water on of the channels.

Any ideas on what this could mean or what the substance is? Tonight I am going to be changing the oil and removing the spark plugs, my spark plug socket lost the magnet so I wasnt able to remove them last night.

Turbos and water, since it is a turbine I think it should be fine...any ideas? Its a Garret GT35r.

Thanks for you help and advice.

Cass007 09-14-2009 07:11 AM

Driving in the heavy Florida rain with the intake fiter getting saturated and pulling water into the system like a pump is what my guess would be. There was a Mid-A member that hydro locked his motor and this was the only reasonable explanation other than someone popping the hood and filling the IC with water and then putting everything back to normal.

I would get to a shop for an eval ASAP to make sure there is no other damage. Good Luck.

GreenGoblin 09-14-2009 08:02 AM

Did the motor sieze up on you? If it did you might be SOL. You have taken all the right steps to clean out the system.

rcdash 09-14-2009 08:04 AM

Aluminum hydroxide is a white powder. Perhaps the water was alkaline? :dunno: Isn't the powerlab air filter high up? How did the car ingest water?

Speqz 09-14-2009 08:48 AM

the motor is not siezed it stalled to a stop...i just drove through a puddle 3 weeks ago..someone took my car while i was asleep and did this. tonight im going to remove the spark plugs and try and crank the water out of teh heads. I am mainly concerned with this white substance though, it almost likes like mold on water but its white.

The puddle he drove through was rather large. and the water most likely was ingested through the intake. I dumped about 1/2 gallon from the intercooler and charge pipes. Gravity might be saving my ass here yet again.

ADMAN 09-14-2009 09:08 AM

:icon6:

Speqz 09-14-2009 09:19 AM

damn straight...this person might have just made a $5000 mistake last night

GreenGoblin 09-14-2009 09:21 AM

Hide your keys from now on.

thom000001 09-14-2009 09:38 AM

NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!! Hope your friend has a good bank account.

Pull the plugs and crank away....do not crank the motor with the plugs installed (may be too late already).....and you will need to crank it a lot to get all the water out (prolly need a charger hooked up cause the bat won't have enough juice alone for how much you need to crank it). And don't start engine. After you have cranked all the water out, drain oil, and prolly pull oil pan. Water and oil don't mix, and make a nice sludge in the engine.

Only good part is you prolly have a reason to build you motor now.

gl

tom

Originally Posted by Speqz (Post 7743364)
the motor is not siezed it stalled to a stop...i just drove through a puddle 3 weeks ago..someone took my car while i was asleep and did this. tonight im going to remove the spark plugs and try and crank the water out of teh heads. I am mainly concerned with this white substance though, it almost likes like mold on water but its white.

The puddle he drove through was rather large. and the water most likely was ingested through the intake. I dumped about 1/2 gallon from the intercooler and charge pipes. Gravity might be saving my ass here yet again.

Speqz 09-14-2009 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by rcdash (Post 7743176)
Aluminum hydroxide is a white powder. Perhaps the water was alkaline? :dunno: Isn't the powerlab air filter high up? How did the car ingest water?

I dont see how aluminum hydroxide would get into the engine. Rain water shouldnt be alkaline :dunno:. The water was injested through the filter and possibly through a leak I have in the intercooler.

Speqz 09-14-2009 09:50 AM

yeah it would be a good news if this was 2 months ago when I had a nice fat bank account. The person who took the car is related to me so... yeah. Well wish me luck.

str8dum1 09-14-2009 10:41 AM

going thru a puddle will not hydrolock nor even suck enough water up the intake pipe to flood the motor. Isnt your airfilter above the IC (normal PL location).

Plus all that water woulda had to be pulled thru the turbo. If you had a leak that big in the IC, you would never ever make any boost.

None of that makes any sense. Someone is feeding you BS to what really happened.

They car woulda had to been drivin into a lake.

rcdash 09-14-2009 10:47 AM

If his friend actually boosted his car through a very large puddle, I can see the wake being sucked in. What idiot would actually boost a car through standing water though? :yikes: Hydrolock issues aside, he'd be risking hydroplaning for sure.

rcdash 09-14-2009 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Speqz (Post 7743616)
I dont see how aluminum hydroxide would get into the engine. Rain water shouldnt be alkaline :dunno:. The water was injested through the filter and possibly through a leak I have in the intercooler.

No idea. All I know is AlOH is white and the intake manifold is aluminum. :D Maybe there was an additive in the oil lining the plenum that reacted with the water or maybe the water wasn't clean.... :dunno:

kawirider 09-14-2009 11:05 AM

The white residue is probably oil mixed with water, it looks kinda milky. If you have water in the combustion chamber you may have a bent rod at the least. You really can't tell what is damaged without tearing it down, so be careful cranking it at all! Good Luck to ya.

str8dum1 09-14-2009 11:51 AM

from a filter thats sitting above the intercooler, thats covered in a hydrophobic oil? and enough to puddle in his IC?

No way. if that was the case, anyone driving in the rain would fill their motors with water, as even the 1second splash from a puddle is nowhere the volume need to suck that much water in.

It would have to completely submerged

Originally Posted by rcdash (Post 7743832)
If his friend actually boosted his car through a very large puddle, I can see the wake being sucked in. What idiot would actually boost a car through standing water though? :yikes: Hydrolock issues aside, he'd be risking hydroplaning for sure.

rcdash 09-14-2009 12:43 PM

I'd like to see any Z boost through this:

http://blog.silive.com/latest_news/2...3-08mosel.jpeg

I think it could happen. Well, it apparently does!

Chris@FsP 09-14-2009 12:54 PM

Seeing that OP lives on the coast, I wonder if the white residue is just salt. Go ahead, give it a taste :p

Nexx 09-14-2009 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP (Post 7744270)
Seeing that OP lives on the coast, I wonder if the white residue is just salt. Go ahead, give it a taste :p

but... what if its the "other" white substance? :ugh2:

Chris@FsP 09-14-2009 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nexx (Post 7744303)
but... what if its the "other" white substance? :ugh2:

eewww