Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Limit of standard arp headstuds

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Tsukuba-Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Limit of standard arp headstuds

i was wondering, what are the whp limits using the std arp heads. i know L19 and 1/2 headstuds are grails on this forum but i dont have that kind of money plain and simple. my power goals are 450whp on a dynodnamics. will these suffice and what are their limits. thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2009, 03:42 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

a few questions on longetivity....and other issues such as tunning that will come into play......but there are dyno numbers on the L17s over 800whp....so you should be fine with those for your goals...heck if your goals are that in the 480dd...530dj, then give the HR studs a shot
Old 10-06-2009, 06:01 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsukuba-Z33
i was wondering, what are the whp limits using the std arp heads. i know L19 and 1/2 headstuds are grails on this forum but i dont have that kind of money plain and simple. my power goals are 450whp on a dynodnamics. will these suffice and what are their limits. thanks in advance
For 450 whp, the HR head bolts are a consideration. MadScientist had problems with them at 680 whp, but that's the only problem I have heard of. If I remember correctly, they cost somewhere around $60 - $80 or so. They MUST be torqued properly. Also, once you use them, they cannot be re-used because they are torque-to-yield (TTY). If I were going for 450 whp, they would be my choice.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Tsukuba-Z33

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
For 450 whp, the HR head bolts are a consideration. MadScientist had problems with them at 680 whp, but that's the only problem I have heard of. If I remember correctly, they cost somewhere around $60 - $80 or so. They MUST be torqued properly. Also, once you use them, they cannot be re-used because they are torque-to-yield (TTY). If I were going for 450 whp, they would be my choice.
okay, so the HR headbolts a good word to MadScientist. also didnt he use the stock DE headgasket???

So if the HR TTY headstuds are good but can only be used once, the REUSEABLE arp standard headstuds should suffice RIGHT???
Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ how many times are you going to pull your heads? YOu can get 2 or 3 sets of stock bolts for teh same price as the ARPs
Old 10-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Tsukuba-Z33

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^ how many times are you going to pull your heads? YOu can get 2 or 3 sets of stock bolts for teh same price as the ARPs
most likey twice. im shoouting for 450whp now, but in the summer imma buy cams, fuel return, headgasket, and up the boost. so imma gonna reopen my heads eventually. and if the standard arp heads are good imma reuse the for my ultimate goal of 550whp.

aslo how much are a set of HR headstuds
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 PM
str8dum1

HR head bolts ~4$ each and you need 16
http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_sear...14_715_716_720

Last edited by str8dum1; 10-06-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

str8dum1 is right, the stench of dreamer is making me gag..... the OP obviously had no idea the complexity of this motor.

pulling the heads is basically the same as going through the motor. to get the heads off, you have to take a part the entire front timing portion of the motor, essentially getting it down to a short block form... oil pan off, timing chains, oil and water pumps, tensioners, countless sensors, etc. This isn't even factoring in getting at the motor. That will entail pulling the motor, or removing the entire front end of the car and core support.

'when' you do it the first time, you will realize that it isn't something you will be doing again unless you are forced to. Do yourself a favor, save up your pennies and do everything once.

I had standard ARP studs, and IMHO they aren't any better than the stock bolts. You torque them to basically the same spec.... only differnce is that they don't stretch -> big damn deal. The stock assembly with gaskets will likely have longer staying power than opening it up to put standard ARP studs in. Also, don't the standard ARP studs have a comparable price to the L19's? So why wouldn't you go with sometihg more proven?

Last edited by Zivman; 10-06-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:56 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Zivman
str8dum1 is right, the stench of dreamer is making me gag..... the OP obviously had no idea the complexity of this motor.

pulling the heads is basically the same as going through the motor. to get the heads off, you have to take a part the entire front timing portion of the motor, essentially getting it down to a short block form... oil pan off, timing chains, oil and water pumps, tensioners, countless sensors, etc. This isn't even factoring in getting at the motor. That will entail pulling the motor, or removing the entire front end of the car and core support.

'when' you do it the first time, you will realize that it isn't something you will be doing again unless you are forced to. Do yourself a favor, save up your pennies and do everything once.

I had standard ARP studs, and IMHO they aren't any better than the stock bolts. You torque them to basically the same spec.... only differnce is that they don't stretch -> big damn deal. The stock assembly with gaskets will likely have longer staying power than opening it up to put standard ARP studs in. Also, don't the standard ARP studs have a comparable price to the L19's? So why wouldn't you go with sometihg more proven?
few thing i have a problem with what you say.....first dont underestimate the op...and i say that because i know some people on the forum perfectly capable of doingthat kind of diy work .....and also wouldnt be first time you have to pull an engine out of the car again if you are a shop....
also besides the pricing...the stock bolts being about equal to L17s?...id like to see you get over 700 even on the stock bolts...

In the end the op has enough options dending on how his $$$ work for him...thats a different story...
but i know of 906whp on L17s and stock de gasket with a perfect tune....so i am going or real performance not just speculation....(for gasket cost id upgrade it though)

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-06-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:03 PM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, once you use them, they cannot be re-used because they are torque-to-yield (TTY).
are you sure they can't be re-used?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 PM
str8dum1

^ are you being sarcastic?

they are single use bc you stretch them when tightening.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that have the time and knowledge to do the work. In the grand scheme of the total cost of a motor, an extra 200$ or less if just cheap insurance.

But, with teh HR bolts and HG, it would probably be fine at the power he wants. But who ever stays at their projected power level for very long
Old 10-07-2009, 04:16 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
few thing i have a problem with what you say.....first dont underestimate the op...and i say that because i know some people on the forum perfectly capable of doingthat kind of diy work .....and also wouldnt be first time you have to pull an engine out of the car again if you are a shop....
also besides the pricing...the stock bolts being about equal to L17s?...id like to see you get over 700 even on the stock bolts...

In the end the op has enough options dending on how his $$$ work for him...thats a different story...
but i know of 906whp on L17s and stock de gasket with a perfect tune....so i am going or real performance not just speculation....(for gasket cost id upgrade it though)
even if the work was done by him, it would still be HIGHLY unlikely he would rip into it more than once because he was 300 bucks short for head gaskets the first time around.

I had the standard ARP studs on my 'first' build... maybe part of the reason there was a second build so I am not talking about my @ss and "not just speculation"
Old 10-07-2009, 04:35 AM
IIQuickSilverII

even if the work was done by him, it would still be HIGHLY unlikely he would rip into it more than once because he was 300 bucks short for head gaskets the first time around.
no, he is talking about head work on cams, springs, shims....and who knows maybe he decides to to send the heads for porting.,....nobody is just talking about a 300 dollar gasket....and i you see my post(i am guessing you didnt real mine nor the ops post well) i even suggested he gets one because its such a cheap part of the cost.

I had the standard ARP studs on my 'first' build... maybe part of the reason there was a second build so I am not talking about my @ss and "not just speculation"
no, thats why i mentioned other factors that are involved such as a perfect tune...gman also used standard studs and he couldn't get more than 550whp i think before experiencing headlift.....not sure who your tuner/builder must have been at the time, but i am going based of what i have seen some top renown shops do...i am not talking about pre 2007....talking about now, and i am telling you 906whp is what i have seen them perform at....and daily driven at ~700

See i call when i see stupid "dream threads" around....or too much stupidity by n00bs on threads, but i see fair question here so far*and someone that actually did a bit of reserach before posting), and rather than sounding condecending in your 1st post, you should have also posted your comments based on "YOUR experience" with the L17s .... and i am rebutting that, based of what i have seen experienced shops have way better results than you got a long time ago.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-07-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Zivman

no, he is talking about head work on cams, springs, shims....and who knows maybe he decides to to send the heads for porting.,....nobody is just talking about a 300 dollar gasket....and i you see my post(i am guessing you didnt real mine nor the ops post well) i even suggested he gets one because its such a cheap part of the cost.

no, thats why i mentioned other factors that are involved such as a perfect tune...gman also used standard studs and he couldn't get more than 550whp i think before experiencing headlift.....not sure who your tuner/builder must have been at the time, but i am going based of what i have seen some top renown shops do...i am not talking about pre 2007....talking about now, and i am telling you 906whp is what i have seen them perform at....and daily driven at ~700

See i call when i see stupid "dream threads" around....or too much stupidity by n00bs on threads, but i see fair question here so far*and someone that actually did a bit of reserach before posting), and rather than sounding condecending in your 1st post, you should have also posted your comments based on "YOUR experience" with the L17s .... and i am rebutting that, based of what i have seen experienced shops have way better results than you got a long time ago.
first off, one example doesn't set the standard.... in either way...

Second off, you show me a guy that says his car has a perfect tune and I will show you a liar.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by go-fast
are you sure they can't be re-used?
You're kidding, right?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:58 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^ are you being sarcastic?

they are single use bc you stretch them when tightening.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that have the time and knowledge to do the work. In the grand scheme of the total cost of a motor, an extra 200$ or less if just cheap insurance.

But, with teh HR bolts and HG, it would probably be fine at the power he wants. But who ever stays at their projected power level for very long
+1000
Old 10-07-2009, 08:02 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Tsukuba-Z33
okay, so the HR headbolts a good word to MadScientist. also didnt he use the stock DE headgasket???

So if the HR TTY headstuds are good but can only be used once, the REUSEABLE arp standard headstuds should suffice RIGHT???
Well, it sounds like you already have your mind made up. I'm just not quite sure why you started this thread...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 AM
IIQuickSilverII

first off, one example doesn't set the standard.... in either way...

Second off, you show me a guy that says his car has a perfect tune and I will show you a liar.
no, i am not going of just 1 good example...and i dont wanna play the semantics game....here: "perfect" ...better?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Zivman

no, i am not going of just 1 good example...and i dont wanna play the semantics game....here: "perfect" ...better?
let's take this in another direction..... if the few hundred bucks it takes to get head gaskets and L19's are going to cost too much; the OP doesn't have deep enough pockets to boost his car in the first place. And if he does have enough money he is just looking for places to be cheap
Old 10-07-2009, 10:18 AM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're kidding, right?
i could school you......but instead i'll share a shart.

(the truth is out there you only have to look)
Attached Thumbnails Limit of standard arp headstuds-sharted.jpg  

Quick Reply: Limit of standard arp headstuds