MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   Blown Motor=Blown Turbo? (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/463933-blown-motor-blown-turbo.html)

Glex25 11-09-2009 08:11 AM

Blown Motor=Blown Turbo?

This person has a APS Extreme TT kit on a stock block.
His tuner ran 22psi on a stock block, pretty much grenaded his motor.

I told him the turbo are pretty much shot since all the bearing and metal
material from the motor blowing is passing through oil system which also
lubricates the bearings on the turbo.

right or wrong?

thom000001 11-09-2009 08:14 AM

You are correct sir.

Surely some small pieces made it through the oil system...and depending how long it ran, got passed to the turbos. So turbos should be rebuilt without a doubt.

btw...22psi on an APS Extreme kit.....that is capable of around 650-700rwhp right there......lol

Tom

Originally Posted by Glex25 (Post 7907995)
This person has a APS Extreme TT kit on a stock block.
His tuner ran 22psi on a stock block, pretty much grenaded his motor.

I told him the turbo are pretty much shot since all the bearing and metal
material from the motor blowing is passing through oil system which also
lubricates the bearings on the turbo.

right or wrong?

JAM3Z 11-09-2009 08:17 AM

Who's the tuner?

djamps 11-09-2009 08:19 AM

^^ +111111111111

Alberto 11-09-2009 08:29 AM

Logic is correct, but they may not be blown. The extent of the damage may never be "felt" or it may be seen immediately if the kit is used again.

Nexx 11-09-2009 08:30 AM

that tuner needs to be shot, 22psi on a stock block? :icon22::icon14:

Glex25 11-09-2009 08:33 AM

Don't know him or the shop name.
He wouldn't say and not someone I would use anyway

The aps extreme comes with a 14psi wastegate spring that should have been the first thing that should have been changed to a lower psi spring to have it run on a stock block.

Supposedly the tuner did not have the application to tune a unichip that was warning number one. I told the guy to get out of there and take it elsewhere or at leas tupgrade to Utec. Warning number 2 tuner telling him a SS Box is better than a unichip or utec.

I feel sorry for the poor guy but he won't take my advice
They telling him that the turbo's are still good

Blck350z 11-09-2009 08:35 AM

Doesn't sound like much of a tuner to me .....

"They telling him that the turbo's are still good"

Is "they" refering to the shop that just blew his motor???? Sounds like this guys a lost cause....I mean they blew up his motor ( I would almost say intentionally ) and then he's going to believe them when they say his turbo's look good ...... :dunno:

PLEASE warn everyone where he went!!

thom000001 11-09-2009 08:54 AM

I would love to see what the motor looks like....

Did - a) the fuel system give up first and it melted EVERYTHING in the cumbustion chamber, or b) it made tq just long enough to discinegrate the rods, or c) it just punched holes through the pistons as detonation took over

tom

Originally Posted by Blck350z (Post 7908055)
Doesn't sound like much of a tuner to me .....

"They telling him that the turbo's are still good"

Is "they" refering to the shop that just blew his motor???? Sounds like this guys a lost cause....I mean they blew up his motor ( I would almost say intentionally ) and then he's going to believe them when they say his turbo's look good ...... :dunno:

PLEASE warn everyone where he went!!

XKR 11-09-2009 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Glex25 (Post 7908047)
Don't know him or the shop name.
He wouldn't say and not someone I would use anyway

The aps extreme comes with a 14psi wastegate spring that should have been the first thing that should have been changed to a lower psi spring to have it run on a stock block.

Supposedly the tuner did not have the application to tune a unichip that was warning number one. I told the guy to get out of there and take it elsewhere or at leas tupgrade to Utec. Warning number 2 tuner telling him a SS Box is better than a unichip or utec.

I feel sorry for the poor guy but he won't take my advice
They telling him that the turbo's are still good

Hmmmmm....Could this shop be somewhere in the westcoast? In the SD area?? Only one person I know thinks the SS box is the best.:dunno:

Glex25 11-09-2009 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by thom000001 (Post 7908105)

Did - a) the fuel system give up first and it melted EVERYTHING in the cumbustion chamber, or b) it made tq just long enough to discinegrate the rods, or c) it just punched holes through the pistons as detonation took over

tom

I will try to have pictures for you on Wednesday.

He donating the motor to me since there is a hole on the block.
Going to use it as a practice motor taking it apart and putting it back together to get ready for my build.

Mike all I know is that shop is in NYC.

Possibly Queens since he said it it was near the Whitestone Bridge.
That is as much info as I could get from him

Jay'Z 11-09-2009 09:14 AM

Was it RA? :hehehe:

Chris@FsP 11-09-2009 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by thom000001 (Post 7908105)

tom

If that were the case, I bet if you listened closely, you could have heard the pistons melting down into the oil pan :icon18:

I bet the timing was whack too.

Cass007 11-09-2009 10:35 AM

Glex - Trust me on this - EVERYTHING IS DONE. Unfortunately I am an expert in this particular failure. When my bearings went, the car was shut off almost immediately both times and still I lost everything.

It goes deeper than most think: Cams, headwork, pistons, turbos, crank, oil pump and timing chains - its all garbage. The first time I thought the turbos may have survived, but drain them completely and then spin them. Mine felt smooth till I did that and then they felt like they were full of sand :icon27:

djamps 11-09-2009 10:50 AM

Well in the OP's situation he may be lucky he threw a rod rather than die a slow death from day 1 due to incorrect tolerances and oil starvation.

Hopefully the rod gave out so quickly the bearings and other components had little time to puke into the oil.

SlideFox 11-09-2009 10:53 AM

Hmm.... I think I might now the shop. If it is a tunning shop, and not just a garage.

Glex25 11-09-2009 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cass007 (Post 7908408)
Glex - Trust me on this - EVERYTHING IS DONE. Unfortunately I am an expert in this particular failure. When my bearings went, the car was shut off almost immediately both times and still I lost everything.

It goes deeper than most think: Cams, headwork, pistons, turbos, crank, oil pump and timing chains - its all garbage. The first time I thought the turbos may have survived, but drain them completely and then spin them. Mine felt smooth till I did that and then they felt like they were full of sand :icon27:

Exactly

I was thinking of your situation when he mentioned what happened.
From what he has told me the tuner is getting him a motor and he mentioned he is moving
on to a GTM kit so I'm guessing they are partially covering that too.

When he mentioned that they said the turbo's were still good
first thing in my mind was that they trying to cover their @$$ and
not try to pay for a replacement turbo.

XKR 11-09-2009 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Glex25 (Post 7908150)
Mike all I know is that shop is in NYC.

Ohhhh...I see:icon8:

I should be hearing from the Rastaman real soon:)

deanfootlong 11-09-2009 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by XKR (Post 7908139)
Hmmmmm....Could this shop be somewhere in the westcoast? In the SD area?? Only one person I know thinks the SS box is the best.:dunno:

i get your logic here..... but i highly doubt its who you think it is. i know hes smarter than that. ....way smarter.

GT-ER 11-09-2009 07:06 PM

FWIW I've had a pretty decent amount of experience with turbos and just because their is bearing material in the CHRA doesn't mean the turbo is bad. You can just flush it and it usually ( most of the time anyways ) feels smooth again and will work just fine.

BUT ( and this is a big BUT! ) the problem isn't really the bearings themselves...but any material that may have been sent through the exhaust that would most certainly destroy the turbine wheels. If the car lost a piston ( or more than one ) or a valve then the turbos are more than likely toast!