Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

G35 Sedan at Cobb with blown motor need advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobb actually didn't know about MAF sensor.

1. When I went there while ago, they didn't know about MAF sensor. They told me that GTR is fine so Z will be fine without it.

2. When I sold the kit to kirk, I offer him take my sensor as well. But cobb told kirk that he should be fine without it. Many days later, kirk sent me a text that he needs the sensor, which too bad, someone already paid for mine at that time. but during the swap the kit time I know cobb told kirk that he should be fine without it.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Kirks06

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Cobb actually didn't know about MAF sensor.

1. When I went there while ago, they didn't know about MAF sensor. They told me that GTR is fine so Z will be fine without it.

2. When I sold the kit to kirk, I offer him take my sensor as well. But cobb told kirk that he should be fine without it. Many days later, kirk sent me a text that he needs the sensor, which too bad, someone already paid for mine at that time. but during the swap the kit time I know cobb told kirk that he should be fine without it.

That should have been a huge clue right there but me being the trusting Idot I believed them when they said they could do it. Jared at Uprev when he sold me the new MAF sensor warned me and I still wouldn't listen.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 PM
COBB Tuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Let me start off by apologizing for our lack of response to this thread. I'll refrain from making excuses, it's an internal issue that I will be addressing.

When I became aware of this situation, I gave my input based on what factors I knew: car brought in for tuning after many canceled appointments due to issues, S/C installed by owner, car arrived with many installation related issues, tried to address the issues to tune the car, motor let go during second full RPM pull. Based on that information, I agreed with the Chris Fleming (shop manager @ Plano) that it was likely a pre-existing condition. We have tuned several FI Z/G cars, increasing in numbers recently, so my immediate thought didn't turn to the tune itself. Over the past 10 years, we've tuned thousands upon thousands of cars. We operate THREE AWD Dynos across the country, so you run into a lot of different scenarios. Some of the cars are 'rigged' beyond belief that you're amazed they even made it out of the driveway. Definitely NOT saying this was the case here, just an example for how jaded one can become in time. Most of the time you know the why/when/how an engine fails but even with that experience, you have to be open to the possibility that someone had a brief lapse, made a mistake, didn't catch something in time, etc. Part of being human I suppose.

That being said, we stand behind our products and tuning. If the OP, Kirks06, feel we are ultimately responsible then we are happy to step up and offer to reimburse him for this engine. That, I feel, is just the right thing to do.

Was it a tuning problem? Maybe. Based on the work I've seen come across my desk performed by Calvin (lead tuner @ Plano), I have no doubts in his ability or knowledge of tuning. Does that mean he never makes a mistake? No. Do I think he did in this case? Not necessarily. The reality is that what I think really doesn't matter in this situation, it's what the owner who's car is down while he gets an engine rebuilt who has the opinion that matters to me.

With regards to the capabilities of the AccessPORT, I would argue against the belief that we don't understand the Nissan ECUs as well as anyone else (aside from Nissan themselves of course). We need to demonstrate our knowledge more to the Z/G owners, but I feel we've demonstrated a good degree of knowledge based on our success with the GT-R. We fully understand the complex ignition advance control, fuel strategies, all the sophisticated interaction with the transmission computer (which we've also started reverse engineering), boost and torque control strategies, etc. We have a few GT-Rs pushing nearly 800 WHEEL HP with the AccessPORT. The results we have on that platform speak for themselves, and the Z/G ECU is not all that entirely different. So it's not necessary a lack of knowledge on the Z/G cars, we just need to step up our efforts on communicating what we do know. We have failed at that communication due, in part, to being a small company with very limited resources.

And before anyone gets defensive, I think UpRev offers a fine product and their lead ECU engineer (John), who is an ex-engineer for us, is a very smart guy. I'm just not the type that tries to compete against others by bashing their products or knowledge. Speaking honestly, I think the guys at UpRev have just been more committed to the Z/G market than we have, and thus we've allowed the perception to exist that we offer an inferior product. That's easy enough to fix, it's just down to demonstrating our commitment. That's for us to do, and I find no reason to try and gain market share by directly attacking competition.

Anyone that has concerns can reach me anytime. My direct email address is trey@cobbtuning.com and my direct line is 801-713-0035 x101.

Another topic, but I'll follow up on those dyno numbers from the Z/G dyno day held at Plano.

Best regards,
Trey Cobb
Founder & CEO
COBB Tuning - www.cobbtuning.com
Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but that was NOT a pre-existing condition. That engine ran LEAN and too hot, and your guy pushed it before adjusting the tune. It is YOUR TUNERS FAULT. Now Cobb is trying to cover up for their screw up.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Let me start off by apologizing for our lack of response to this thread. I'll refrain from making excuses, it's an internal issue that I will be addressing.

When I became aware of this situation, I gave my input based on what factors I knew: car brought in for tuning after many canceled appointments due to issues, S/C installed by owner, car arrived with many installation related issues, tried to address the issues to tune the car, motor let go during second full RPM pull. Based on that information, I agreed with the Chris Fleming (shop manager @ Plano) that it was likely a pre-existing condition. We have tuned several FI Z/G cars, increasing in numbers recently, so my immediate thought didn't turn to the tune itself. Over the past 10 years, we've tuned thousands upon thousands of cars. We operate THREE AWD Dynos across the country, so you run into a lot of different scenarios. Some of the cars are 'rigged' beyond belief that you're amazed they even made it out of the driveway. Definitely NOT saying this was the case here, just an example for how jaded one can become in time. Most of the time you know the why/when/how an engine fails but even with that experience, you have to be open to the possibility that someone had a brief lapse, made a mistake, didn't catch something in time, etc. Part of being human I suppose.

That being said, we stand behind our products and tuning. If the OP, Kirks06, feel we are ultimately responsible then we are happy to step up and offer to reimburse him for this engine. That, I feel, is just the right thing to do.

Was it a tuning problem? Maybe. Based on the work I've seen come across my desk performed by Calvin (lead tuner @ Plano), I have no doubts in his ability or knowledge of tuning. Does that mean he never makes a mistake? No. Do I think he did in this case? Not necessarily. The reality is that what I think really doesn't matter in this situation, it's what the owner who's car is down while he gets an engine rebuilt who has the opinion that matters to me.

With regards to the capabilities of the AccessPORT, I would argue against the belief that we don't understand the Nissan ECUs as well as anyone else (aside from Nissan themselves of course). We need to demonstrate our knowledge more to the Z/G owners, but I feel we've demonstrated a good degree of knowledge based on our success with the GT-R. We fully understand the complex ignition advance control, fuel strategies, all the sophisticated interaction with the transmission computer (which we've also started reverse engineering), boost and torque control strategies, etc. We have a few GT-Rs pushing nearly 800 WHEEL HP with the AccessPORT. The results we have on that platform speak for themselves, and the Z/G ECU is not all that entirely different. So it's not necessary a lack of knowledge on the Z/G cars, we just need to step up our efforts on communicating what we do know. We have failed at that communication due, in part, to being a small company with very limited resources.

And before anyone gets defensive, I think UpRev offers a fine product and their lead ECU engineer (John), who is an ex-engineer for us, is a very smart guy. I'm just not the type that tries to compete against others by bashing their products or knowledge. Speaking honestly, I think the guys at UpRev have just been more committed to the Z/G market than we have, and thus we've allowed the perception to exist that we offer an inferior product. That's easy enough to fix, it's just down to demonstrating our commitment. That's for us to do, and I find no reason to try and gain market share by directly attacking competition.

Anyone that has concerns can reach me anytime. My direct email address is trey@cobbtuning.com and my direct line is 801-713-0035 x101.

Another topic, but I'll follow up on those dyno numbers from the Z/G dyno day held at Plano.

Best regards,
Trey Cobb
Founder & CEO

Kirk, I think you should take Trey up on this offer.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Kirks06

Best regards,
Trey Cobb
Founder & CEO

Thanks: Trey for your reply, I will be calling you to discuss this in person. I think that would be outstanding of you to take responsibility as a company.
I think that would go along way in building trust for your company and products. Kirk
Old 01-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Neil@COBB

Calvin has updated the database with all of the cars that made it on the dyno for the Z/G Dyno day. Under "Select Make", choose" ZvsG Dyno Day" and all of the cars will be available by owners name. These have been up for a few weeks but not posted in this forum by us. Sorry for the delay fellas.

Neil

http://plano.cobbtuning.com/dyno/index.php
Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

That's good to hear
Old 01-14-2010, 09:56 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil@COBB
Calvin has updated the database with all of the cars that made it on the dyno for the Z/G Dyno day. Under "Select Make", choose" ZvsG Dyno Day" and all of the cars will be available by owners name. These have been up for a few weeks but not posted in this forum by us. Sorry for the delay fellas.

Neil

http://plano.cobbtuning.com/dyno/index.php
Neil, we already know about the website and it only shows our best runs only. We were told that if we emailed you guys, we'd receive the dyno files for all 3 runs. Most of our locals sent emails as told, but I believe ALL of our requests were ignored.

Are you guys admitting fault then or at least open to the possibility that the tune was the cause of this mess? If you truly believed that everything was done competently and none of your employees were responsible for the destruction of OP's block, you'd be much more hesitant and reluctant to make such an offer so quickly. Nobody wants to lose money.

OP, take the offer up on getting reimbursed. Whatever their true intentions may be (kudos if they man up and admit fault), I don't see any harm. Plus, they offered without being asked, I think, and I don't see any asterisks (read: stipulations). At least they're willing to make things right for you.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Actions speaks louder than words and if COBB man's up then it will definitely be seen as a good faith gesture through the community!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:04 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like Sharif said, you'd have to be incredibly incompetent to blow a vortech engine on a dyno if there wasnt something already wrong with the car.

Anyone that has self tuned their vortech knows this. I did a majority of my stock block 460whp DD 16 psi vortech tune myself with no problems.

Continue to blame the tuner, but I think Cobb is going out of their way on this one. I woulda said take a hike.

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Since all of us are just speculating, let me add my .02 of speculation.

First, Cobb has some pretty smart guys and tuners working for them. They know how to tune a car, as I've spoken to many of the key tuners/calilbrators over there. You would have to do something incredibly stupid to break a Vortech SC engine with a few pulls on the dyno. And I just don't see Cobb's tuners doing this.

To literally snap a rod, something else was likely a contributing factor. Perhaps a spun bearing, low oil pressure, weak factory rod? I have pulled apart motors that "seemed" fine only to find a few wavy rods. And it would take some monemental audible pounding to damage a bearing with a few pulls on the dyno.

Last edited by str8dum1; 01-14-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:28 PM
COBB Tuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Kirk - sorry missed the call. I've tried calling back but I just get silence on the other end. I'll try again in a few, or you're welcome to call back. I should be at my desk the rest of the day.

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Are you guys admitting fault then or at least open to the possibility that the tune was the cause of this mess? If you truly believed that everything was done competently and none of your employees were responsible for the destruction of OP's block, you'd be much more hesitant and reluctant to make such an offer so quickly. Nobody wants to lose money
I'm admitting the potential is there that it was our fault, and that regardless of how probable I may or may not think it is in this situation is irrelevant. It is Kirk's opinion that matters in this situation, which is why he and I will discuss it and get it sorted out.

It's about demonstrating our commitment to customer service and the communities we serve. That's what we've built our reputation on, which is something we highly value.

And we'll continue to work hard to earn the trust and respect from you and others in the Z/G community. Acting like we know-it-all, are perfect 100% of the time, and all others should bow down at our awesomeness is not how we do it. It's about taking feedback, positive or negative, and working to do a better job.

Cheers,
Trey Cobb
Old 01-14-2010, 12:47 PM
CRIDDA

Kirk - sorry missed the call. I've tried calling back but I just get silence on the other end. I'll try again in a few, or you're welcome to call back. I should be at my desk the rest of the day.

I'm admitting the potential is there that it was our fault, and that regardless of how probable I may or may not think it is in this situation is irrelevant. It is Kirk's opinion that matters in this situation, which is why he and I will discuss it and get it sorted out.

It's about demonstrating our commitment to customer service and the communities we serve. That's what we've built our reputation on, which is something we highly value.

And we'll continue to work hard to earn the trust and respect from you and others in the Z/G community. Acting like we know-it-all, are perfect 100% of the time, and all others should bow down at our awesomeness is not how we do it. It's about taking feedback, positive or negative, and working to do a better job.

Cheers,
Trey Cobb
Very well said and this is what will continue to make you a successfull company. We are humans and make mistakes, it is how we handle those mistakes that counts. That being said, you have earned my respect.

Chris
Old 01-14-2010, 12:52 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Cheers,
Trey Cobb

Good luck to OP and Cobb.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:03 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Sorry, but that was NOT a pre-existing condition. That engine ran LEAN and too hot, and your guy pushed it before adjusting the tune. It is YOUR TUNERS FAULT. Now Cobb is trying to cover up for their screw up.
He alrdy said he would reimburse the OP. IF this was Uprev you would give them a "golfclap" for manning up. Go nut hug somewhere else.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Kirks06

Originally Posted by CRIDDA
Very well said and this is what will continue to make you a successfull company. We are humans and make mistakes, it is how we handle those mistakes that counts. That being said, you have earned my respect.

Chris
Chris I thought the same thing when I read Trey's post.

I just got off the phone with Mr. Cobb and he couldn't have been nicer of a guy. I am going to be getting a list of all that needs to be replaced and email that to him and we will go from there. I will keep everyone posted.

I want to say thanks again for all the kind words, and valuable information from everyone.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Usually these stories dont have happy endings. Nice to see everything working out for you, for the better to.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Kirks06

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Usually these stories dont have happy endings. Nice to see everything working out for you, for the better to.
Thanks me too, I have been meaning to ask about your avatar pic very nice
Old 01-14-2010, 03:22 PM
jran76

Wow.... Way to step up Cobb. I think it is the right thing to do, and it makes me feel a lot more confident about continuing to do business with you. Overall, the guys in Plano have been great to work with. I also hope this may lead to more energy devoted to the G/Z line....
Old 01-15-2010, 02:48 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning;8061903

I'm admitting the [I
potential[/I] is there that it was our fault, and that regardless of how probable I may or may not think it is in this situation is irrelevant. It is Kirk's opinion that matters in this situation, which is why he and I will discuss it and get it sorted out.

Cheers,
Trey Cobb
I will say that is probably the best customer service i have seen in the aftermarket bar none.

Quick Reply: G35 Sedan at Cobb with blown motor need advise