Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Smells like burnt oil on throttle

Old 12-29-2019, 12:05 PM
Jjansenracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smells like burnt oil on throttle

Hey guys first post here, I bought this 350z about 6 months ago with a jwt tt kit and big brakes and I got it for cheap because it had some small issues. After new spark plugs, coil packs, plenum gasket, and reconnecting the FMU the car seemed great it smelt like oil a bit but not bad. So I bought some test pipes and installed those( while I was down there I also noticed the oil drain lines were torn and I fixed those as well. Now the car starts smoking at long red lights and smells awful on throttle. I’m thinking catch can is a good first step but I have to think about the turbo seals or valve seals and I’m curious if there’s a way to understand what’s what before I start shopping in the dark. Im also aware it could be the oil pan spacer oil drain area instead of drilling a hole higher up ( I did this on my 370 already) but I’m just wondering what to look for for a better diagnosis
Old 12-29-2019, 12:10 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Did you clean up all the old oil that was sprayed out after/during replacing the lines. If you have not i would clean everything, let the engine run and look for more leaks. If none found, drive the car for approx 30 minutes then look again. The smell you could be getting is residue cooking off when the engine is hot. IMO an oil soaked engine/bay is a fire hazard so better to keep it clean anway. Also by keeping it clean you can spot issues much quicker.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:33 PM
Jjansenracing

so I double checked if there was any oil left over and it’s pretty clean. I haven’t had anyone drive behind me again yet so I’m not sure how bad the car smells while I’m on throttle but I did let the car sit for 5 minutes or so and revved it and I’m getting blue smoke out of it I’m not sure how normal that should be.
i do have test pipes and a Stillen exhaust so theirs not much filtering what comes out of the turbos. I’m just wondering what I should look for and what other people have experienced
Old 12-31-2019, 02:38 PM
Jjansenracing

I also started to test my idea about the Pcv maybe bringing oil into the motor, so I added a breather valve and capped off the plenum as a test before I bought a catch can. I’m still getting blue smoke after long idles and then a quick rev. Again not sure if that’s normal. My next thought is the oil drains because I know those can create a smoke effect after long idle periods when you have the jwt spacer I just don’t know if I’m gonna get down there and drill the holes anytime soon. Let me know your thoughts thanks !
Old 01-01-2020, 09:52 AM
Jjansenracing

Alright just drove it down town and coming off the freeway coming to the redlight it started smoking bad it stopped once o did and it did it again at the next light and the one after that seems like off throttle it smokes bad in a stop and go situation