Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Technical Notice To 350z Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 05:03 PM
daking350
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cold air is more DENSE than warm air therefore you run leaner in the colder weather and get more CFM(cubic feet per minute) of airflow...Its the "FEELING" of getting more boost but really shouldnt affect the PSI rating on your guage theoredically..The warmer weather exposes you to PRE-detonation due to heat..One way to quell this is more fuel cooling the cylinders or cool the engine temps..IE oil cooler or radiator upgrades..
Old 02-21-2004, 05:04 PM
ZXiMan

Originally posted by 12SecZ
I see 9 PSI way before 4500 rpm's, but I am interested in this setup. Would it work on a returnless fuel system where the stock FPR is in the gas tank?

What pump and or FPR would you use?

I am looking for an FPR and higher flowing pump for the stock location (in the tank.) It won't be no big deal to me if I lose one pound in the summer, I am not gonna beat her up in the heat this year.
Wow, how do you get so much boost at such a low rpm running a 9psi pulley???

I think I'm seeing just 5 to 5.5 psi at the same rpm, maybe less. The smaller pulley will build more boost earlier in the powerband, but a full 9psi before 4500 rpm? That's excellent for a belt driven centrifical supercharger with a 9psi pulley.

As far as the fuel pump is concerned, yes it was in the tank and it was aftermarket one but I don't remember the brand.

The wastegate will keep your boost from spiking in cold air. My WRX did the same thing. on warmer days I'd only see 16 psi that would taper to 14psi... but on cold days below 45 degrees, I'd see up to 18.5 down low and taper to 16 at redline...

Last edited by ZXiMan; 02-21-2004 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:23 PM
12SecZ

Interesting about the Suburu because that is what my buddy is researching (their fuel pump on the Sti.)

I was thinking of a Walbro 155 with a SARD FPR but of course that is another 500 bucks or more.

I have an A5T and I don't have any FMU it is all controlled by my ECU. When I go WOT from a dead stop it is almost instantly 9 PSI and this is before is shifts into 2nd. What RPM does an A5T shift into second at in Auto D? Someone posted all the gearing once before but I think it was for a 6MT.

I would guess aroud 4k's I am making 9 PSI now. When EJ was doing runs with me we were making 10 pounds while he watched the gauges and this was at about 4k through first and second.

My rev limiter is 7100, with my stock fuel pump at greater than 6600 I would be lean if I was in manual mode the pump can't keep up although my ECU is mapped for 9 PSI all the way around it just needs a bigger pump if I want to redline. If you have more ideas on brand names and a chepaer way to do it please post it!
Old 02-21-2004, 05:28 PM
12SecZ

P.S. my hardest run with this latest setup was 9 all the way through 3rd with the tranny in Auto D shiftin on it's own when I looked up the EGT was at 800 C and the Nissan Mechanic (Bryan) said it was exactly 9 lbs through all 3 gears, so all we need to find out to be exact is the gearing shift point for an A5T then we will know precisley what is occuring rather than watching guages
Old 02-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I will not stand here and let you badmouth the United States of America! Gentleman!
Old 02-21-2004, 08:42 PM
12SecZ

LOL,

Yeah and then they all walk out of court, classic! hahaha.

Anyways as for the dense cold air I think I have been corrected and you are right. It doesn't make more boost just feels like it. If this is the case my boost should always be 9 PSI. Cool.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:15 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by 12SecZ
LOL,

Yeah and then they all walk out of court, classic! hahaha.

Anyways as for the dense cold air I think I have been corrected and you are right. It doesn't make more boost just feels like it. If this is the case my boost should always be 9 PSI. Cool.
You know you can actually be registering the 9lbs of boost on your guage and actually making 10-11 but the efficiency of your setup(plenum,headers,cats,exhaust) allows a free flow of the air and wont register the absolute manifold pressure accurately..Weird huh??The only true way to know EXACTLY how much air you are flowing is to get the CFM of air..How to do that,I do not know..But your probably right at 9lbs now!!
Old 02-21-2004, 09:30 PM
12SecZ

Yeah, those that are running stock intake and exhausts better take note, that is why I made that disclaimer. I tapped my Boost guage before the exhaust though so I am pretty sure it measures before the exhaust and is accurate. 3 pulley's sure now lol

Peas!
Old 02-22-2004, 10:53 AM
12SecZ

That was supposed to be a joke. Someone please don't leave me as the last one posting in this horrendously long and sticky thread, have MERCY! Thanks.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:43 AM
TereP

My 350 has been supercharged since mid-September '03 with the ATI complete bolt-on kit (a DIY install and tuning). She has run through all kinds of conditions and she does run well. I run a little on the rich side (11.6 to 12) on 93 pump gas -- it can get hot around here. Haven't had any problems with detonation at all. On the dyno she drops to a steady 11.6 at around 3000 rpm and then has a slight upswing from 6000 to redline -- upswing peaks at 12.0. Since peak hp begins to drop off at 6200, I see no need to hit redline, so I shift around 6200-6400. So, I guess what I'm basically saying is that run as designed, and with a correct install and slightly rich tuning, I don't see any problems with the ATI kit in the least. It gives me excellent hp and great torque which means there isn't much on the street that can hang with old Wild Black Cherry (except my 300ZX TT on high boost of course).

I'm still convinced that the blown engines are bad installs and/or bad tuning.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:33 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

or maybe the 91 octane
Old 02-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Hey Tere! Long time no see! Sounds like the OTHER Procharged Brick is doing just fine. So is mine but I'm just a tad north of Texas and it gets a bit chilly up here. There's this pesky white slippery stuff on the roads all the time too!

Do you have the J&S Safeguard on your car? I plan on going with larger injectors later this year I think. This along with the TS ECU reflash for FI to address the timing issue. I'm still debating if I will install my J&S or just sell it. It is still sitting in the box.

One question. If peak HP is at 6200, what good does raising the rev limiter to 7100 do me?
Old 02-22-2004, 04:20 PM
12SecZ

After you tune with TS and change your timing etc you will make power after 6200, lots of it I promise you expecially in the lower gears. If you don't I will mail you 20 bucks the dyno will still show it rising beyond that.

When Tadishi drove my car he was making power past stock redline, it just needed more fuel. Your ECU will control what the DFMU is controlling now.

For those with the DFMU I have been wondering (because I have an A5T), what is the most amount of boost you have ever seen below 4k rpm's if any? I have made 5 pounds at 3800 w/o the DFMU, IIRC with my DFMU setup it didn't kick in until 4k, is this true with the 6MT's with the DFMU?

BYW nice to see you Tere, love your car and your website.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:29 PM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
One question. If peak HP is at 6200, what good does raising the rev limiter to 7100 do me?
I duno but I make peak power at redline, it just keeps climbing, that's what a superchargers supposed to do. Your probably too rich from 6200 to redline so your not making anything.

Last edited by ravaz; 02-22-2004 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Thanks Max, that makes sense. I forgot that the ECU reflash should take care of that.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:53 PM
ravaz

Bonz, why are you going to get an ECU flash when you have the J&S?
Old 02-23-2004, 02:57 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

It isn't installed. I ordered it and then AA offered me a deal on the flash. I still haven't fully decided on it.

Any advice from any of you FI masters?

ECU reflash
J&S
or both?
Old 02-23-2004, 04:02 AM
ravaz

Just install the J&S, that's all you need, plus you already bought it.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:29 AM
eagle

Question ATI Feedback

Knowing this thread is largely the result of problems with the ATI Pro-Charger I wrote to their MD (President?), as a prospective customer, and asked if he would be prepared to 'Factory Fit' an ATI on my UK Spec Z. My reasons were threefold......
1) If reported problems of blown engines were down to poor installation techniques or set-up, (As Suggested) then a Factory fit would eliminate these issues entirely.
2) Elimination of these potential issues would provide ATI with a genuine example of how inherently reliable thier product is and thus provide them with an ideal source with with to quash the rumours that abound regarding reliability
3) Provide ATI with a platform for 'would be' UK purchasers of their system - after all the Z has only been available in the UK since Oct 03 - the UK Forums are already discussing the problems residing with ATI system.

In addition to, obviously purchasing the system, I also offered professional workshop facilities and accomodation for ATI technicians to provide the Factory Fit.......This meant that ATI's commitment would have been the return Air Fare to the technicians & some spending money during their stay (8-10 hours ?). I was confident that the benefits to ATI outweighed the investment ( a few hundred $) and thus I expected a positive response.........................but I didn't get one. The MD Emailed me to say that a Factory Fit would prove nothing and advised me to contact one of their installers..........but forgot to advise me who their UK Agent is !!

Unfortunately, this has confirmed to me that;
1) They are aprehensive that a Factory fit MIGHT still lead to problems (Becuase the problem lies with the system and NOT the install/set-up) and as such would be absolutely damming to them.
2) ATI do not have the basic Customer Services in place PRE-SALES, to deal effectively with aprehensive customers questioning the reliability of their product.
3) Their aftersales service, therefore, is unlikely to be able to deal effecitively with customers who have already experienced problems with the 350Z system.

To top it off, there is an article in a UK magazine this week which reviews a trick 350Z (US Spec) which utilzes the ATI System - however the car only produces 350BHP - the tuners, I assume, have decided that this is a safe limit to run the car at, well below the 40-55% Gains detailed in the ATI literature. (Maybe they had problems with detonation ??)

My desire to purchase the ATI System has, thus, been negated completely and I'm going to look at the Vortech unit in the coming weeks - I f anybody is interested in the EMail from ATI, let me know and I'll post it.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:53 AM
12SecZ

I'm interested, thanks.

Quick Reply: Technical Notice To 350z Owners