MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   Starting to tear down for a part out tomorrow.... (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/530339-starting-to-tear-down-for-a-part-out-tomorrow.html)

binder 07-23-2011 07:07 PM

Starting to tear down for a part out tomorrow....

So, i would like to hear some thoughts from people who have dealt with crap.

So I tore this engine apart to refresh it with new bearings and pistons. Took it to the machine shop and had all this done:

hone cylinders
polish crank
check specs on rods, crank, cams, pistons
new rings filed
HR gasket coolant passage mod

So everything checked out and i put new ACL race rod and main bearings in it along with the new rings. So a sidenote. When i went to remove my arp L19s they wouldn't come out easy and i had to break them loose. I've had the heads off before but never removed the studs from the block since the first machinist in Austin, tx did the build 2 years ago. I noticed some threads came out with a couple of head studs. Not good.

Anyways, i put the heads back on and started torquing. at 20ftlbs a head stud pulls out. F. So after a month i get a helicoil and today i drilled it out and helicoiled it. i did a ton of measurements and it was dead on. I put 2 helicoils down inside of it just to be sure i would have enough surface area. The head slid right on so the stud was aligned pretty good. I started torquing again. Now a head stud on the next cylinder of that same head just pulled out at 60ft lbs. Off comes the head, i drill and helicoil it. I remember reading that 1 helicoil would be plenty so i only put 1 down in this hole. I started torquing again and that new helicoil with only 1 helicoil in it gave out at 80ft lbs this time. I heard a loud pop. I tore it down and everything looked ok so i backed out the helicoil, ran the tap through it, and then put 2 helicoils down inside there. Put it back together and then at 60ftlbs that same one pulled out. It's pretty much f'ed.

So, i'm pretty sure by the size i had to drill and tap for the helicoil i cant put 1/2" headstuds in there. I'll have to talk to the machine shop monday to confirm it though.

Nail in the coffin. I just sold my extra short block on thursday. bummer. I still have my complete unopened stock engine back in indiana though.

So, i would like some opinions on what to do. This car has worn me out (especially now i'm in med school) and i really just want to cruise and have a good time with the local club members. I'm sick of building and fixing stuff so i would really like a halfway decent stock car. I was thinking NSX, M3, older viper, c6 vette or older ferarri. Now each has their drawbacks but i'm not really that big on being super fast. I just want something nice and sporty. Vipers handle like **** but have sweet power and are kind of rare. I think they are pretty. i love an nsx and not worried about the power. Those are my 2 main cars i would like. Either way i would probably not mod any of them.

So, i have options:

Part out all my aftermarket stuff. Put oem engine in and sell car to use all profits towards different car. I'm not thinking i'm going to fair out well with this and it's going to be a ***** putting it all back to stock. I'm thinking i'll walk away with best case 25k$ and worst case probably 20k$

Part out my built block stuff, throw my stock block back in and tune this turbo to 450hp and just enjoy it like that.

Put stock engine in, tune to 450hp and then sell it like that (probably a bit loss here).

Try and get a new block and finish my beast like scheduled. This would require more time and money and get me deep into it. I could just have a whole new block machined OR i thought about just taking my stock block and using the rods and acl bearings. The oem pistons should be fine and the rods will then hold up enough to get me mid/upper 500's without all the expensive machining costs of a new block with boring and the likes.

Thoughts from other people annoyed with never getting to drive their cars?

Jeff

Stock2Autocrozz 07-23-2011 07:15 PM

After 7 years of school, my advice is save your $, but something decent to drive, fun and affordable, that doesnt require A$$loads of time in perff or maint....you will be getting dicked on loan payments for years....better to pay down schooling as you go.
Just my $.02
If money is no issue, Viper +1.....or, I have seen loads of c5/c6 vettes blown w/ great #'s for low cost...but hell, everyone seems to be jumping on evo bandwagon, and I cannot really blame them for the year round and $ capabilities.

usingthejohn 07-23-2011 07:20 PM

i'm new to this, so forgive me if my answer isn't what you're looking for.

parting out things is kind of a headache, and you know that you typically don't get what you want, or shipping things is kind of a b!tch. also, i don't know if you'd really get what you're asking for. the marketplace is loaded with deals that aren't being snatched up.

also if you tune it to 450rwhp, it's not a fail-safe. there's always gonna be that voice in the back of your mind worried about something failing. and to be honest, i'm not sure that's a good worry to have during school.

but really, it's a hard question for others to answer. you know whats best for your given situation; if cruising is what you want, and you're not big on power, go for a viper/nsx/pinto/whatever. i know it's not easy to look at your car on jackstands.

usingthejohn 07-23-2011 07:24 PM

Also to add: when you're done with med school and still have the itch to mod go for it then. Talking to a lot of residents, theyre all stressed enough with school and loans. Again I don't believe having a project car is wise during your endeavor.

And kudos for doing med school...that's a real commitment.

John

binder 07-23-2011 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stock2Autocrozz (Post 9275005)
After 7 years of school, my advice is save your $, but something decent to drive, fun and affordable, that doesnt require A$$loads of time in perff or maint....you will be getting dicked on loan payments for years....better to pay down schooling as you go.
Just my $.02
If money is no issue, Viper +1.....or, I have seen loads of c5/c6 vettes blown w/ great #'s for low cost...but hell, everyone seems to be jumping on evo bandwagon, and I cannot really blame them for the year round and $ capabilities.

I only have a year and a half left. Money isn't an issue because i'm a veteran and i teach night class so I'm making most of my student loan. I'm taking about 1/3 the student loan of a regular student and still putting money in the bank. The way money IS an issue to me is continuously getting deeper and deeper into this car. Everything was good until this last tear down. It seems if something could go wrong it has gone wrong.

I won't get an evo. They are ugly little crackerjack cars and the ones around here people ***** about all the problems they have with them. The c5/6 "blown" idea is a no go either. I'm done with tinkering. I used to build race engines and used to have fun working on mine but that was before my life became more important. Now i want something different that doesn't require me to have to mod the crap out of it. I'm tired of custom stuff.

I appreciate the input though. :thumbup:

binder 07-23-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by usingthejohn (Post 9275016)
. Again I don't believe having a project car is wise during your endeavor.

And kudos for doing med school...that's a real commitment.

John

I've had the car for quite some time and it's paid. The build was done before i started school. The hitches were unexpected.

and thanks

binder 07-23-2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by usingthejohn (Post 9275010)

also if you tune it to 450rwhp, it's not a fail-safe. there's always gonna be that voice in the back of your mind worried about something failing. and to be honest, i'm not sure that's a good worry to have during school.

eh, i've never worried about my tunes. Not once have i ever been scared to drive my car to the edge.

The jackstands comment i agree on. I'm tired of a 3400lb boat anchor in my garage.

The part out is a nightmare but it's the only way to get anything out of this car. They are selling for 13-14k on ebay nowadays which blows.

Stock2Autocrozz 07-23-2011 07:51 PM

NP, as for doing the projs I hear ya....I always have a fun budget build that is a low$ dd, bc Z cannot go downtown obv, and Winter=7-9mos here. ftl.

Could I recommend maybe what I am going to do next....? Classic cruiser, think old school muscle, convertible, cadillac etc....something unique/different than always worrying about electronics, blowing, all the other BS
Yet I also have a hankering to start on a factory five daytona 65 or GTM supercar.
That is just solid muscle there!

binder 07-23-2011 08:09 PM

i've had more bikes than i could imagine. built r1 drag bike that i did 8.9 in the 1/4 with and pulled a 180mph flat on the texas mile, ALL MOTOR. At one point i had 9 bikes. I still have my f4i stuntbike and would love to have a nice bike to cruise on again like a duc 998 or something. I had a cruiser for almost 2 years and put just over 500 miles on it. I bought it to just commute to work and it hurt my back too much being hunched over to reach forward for those t handlebars. Sportbikes are more my body position.

Also, in high school i had a 67 camaro rs. My cousin is about to have a second baby in his family so i've been bugging him about buying his 500hp all motor 67 camaro he built. That would be fun to have since i used to own one.

midz350 07-23-2011 08:39 PM

My only advice for now, don't fix it! you either part out all the aftermarket stuff and use it stock or sell it and get something else. (me, I would get a NSX)

Dynosty 07-23-2011 08:40 PM

Sorry to hear about the trouble Jeff. Cool off for a couple days and get back at it. If there is anything we can to help, please don't hesitate to call.

Ruthless18x 07-23-2011 09:07 PM

I totally hear you man. My car rarely leaves the garage because it's a POS and there is something I'm always trying to fix.

After being on here for 5 years, it's either build it within means (450ish), go NA, or just part it out, otherwise these cars blow cawk.

I'd say part it out, sell it, and get something else.

binder 07-23-2011 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hal@Dynosty (Post 9275079)
Sorry to hear about the trouble Jeff. Cool off for a couple days and get back at it. If there is anything we can to help, please don't hesitate to call.

thanks hal.

i never would have guessed head studs would have pulled out like that. I was oh so close and then this happened. If i do keep the car stock for a while i'll probably end up just waiting until winter and sending you guys the engine to start over.

It's just rough trying to find time. When i had time it was ok to work on it but now when i have very little free time i'd like to spend the time driving the car to relax a little.

Flo-ridaZ33 07-23-2011 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x (Post 9275113)
I totally hear you man. My car rarely leaves the garage because it's a POS and there is something I'm always trying to fix.

After being on here for 5 years, it's either build it within means (450ish), go NA, or just part it out, otherwise these cars blow cawk.

I'd say part it out, sell it, and get something else.

:werd: I haven't had any real problems with my 2004, I've added my receipts before only to realize I could've had an M3.

Stock2Autocrozz 07-23-2011 10:05 PM

W minor mods done, I love my lady, she's a bit beefed up and fills sports car niche....think the problem obv comes in when trying to make it into something it isn't meant to be...i.e. buds TT Z dying out at high speeds, blown motors, etc. My bish gives me no problems & couldnt be happier!
Ill still argue anyone that the 350 isnt possibly one of the best looking cars ever made, from any angle! Thats why I originally fell in love w it, maybe go back to the roots of why you got the Z and if it still holds true, it will provide the answer you need! ;)

Cass007 07-24-2011 04:56 AM

When people ask me what I would have done differently I often say "leave the car on the stock blockwith the Turbonetics Kit". It sounds stupid, but it was reliable, easy to work on and still faster than most other cars out there.

I have grown completely used to walking past my car up on jack stands in the garage every day to get in my '96 DD with 242K on it. Seeing my car on the ground is the more odd occurance. Seeing it runing is even more rare.

As far as parting out, you have the know how Jeff, so thats a non-issue. I parted out my blown VQ and TT kit less the rebuild cost for the turbos and still made enough to cover the cost of my LS. If the engine and kit was whole, I would expect you could get ~10K for everything. Selling things is easy for established members with good reputations IMO.

I would keep the car and just go stock block F/I or just stock block completely. Getting the other cars will just lead you to doing other mods... we are just those kind of people. DO NOT get the older Ferrari, you will have plenty of time for a mid-life crisis when you get older :icon44:

binder 07-24-2011 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks cass. You have been through way more than me in the car arena although i've had my fails with all the race bikes i've done. The difference in the race bikes is that i had about 9 bikes so if one was down it didn't matter.

My daily is a 93 s10 that another driver hit me and took off so i fixed it enough to drive. No a/c here in st louis where it's been over 100* (actual temp) the last 10 days in a row sucks.

I'm heading home next weekend to get my stock block so i've thought about putting it in and doing an e85 stock block 450hp ride. The hard thing to decide is do i keep my built stuff and find another block and do a build block next winter with all my built components i currently have or just get rid of them and stay with the stock FI.

I made a list in excel last night selling all my aftermarket stuff to put the car back to stock. At 50-75% (depending what it is) the cost of new stuff i would be just over 15 grand in recouped money.

I would really like to just start over with a nice stock car like the nsx but i'm not sure. I have so much invested to just walk away. It's hard to walk away when i was so close.

Blackbird CPV35 07-24-2011 09:31 AM

Part it out, it seems overwhelming at first but in retrospect parting out my car was the best thing I ever did with it. Most of my stuff sold fast and shipping isn't that bad

binder 07-24-2011 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Blackbird CPV35 (Post 9275632)
Part it out, it seems overwhelming at first but in retrospect parting out my car was the best thing I ever did with it. Most of my stuff sold fast and shipping isn't that bad

you hit your goal and get the gtr?

ace32x 07-24-2011 09:43 AM

part it out, pick up an old viper, theyre monsters for street cruising and a blast, none of that bs traction/stability control! way its meant to be :D