Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

supercharger vs turbos

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:07 PM
AmnCruzie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh... the intertubez. Always good for entertainment whilst I try to look busy at work, waiting until leaving time.

Anyways, lots of good points thrown around, some on topic some off. To OP, 2 words of advice. 1 - do your research, 2 - be realistic.

Research is more than just asking a forum and buying what they say. And as for being realistic, define to yourself what exactly you want, what you can afford, and find a compromise.

On topic, and speaking only from my own experience:

Which is better for DD? it depends on your personal driving style. Everybody has different styles, and likes different things. Sure Superchargers make boost always, and that goes w/ the whole not everybody tops out their car argument, but there's another argument to be made here. I love my ST because it doesn't make boost during normal driving conditions, but when I step on it it flies like a bat out of hell, even at lower RPMs (the guy who did my tune is freaking magic man, Idunno how he did it). So when I drive normal street driving, no boost, the car behaves like an NA as far as predictability, and w/ the tune, I get even better gas mileage than I did stock. when I'm on a track and driving it hard, I hit full boost (9psi) by 3.5-4K. And the power doesn't surge too much (all turbos surge, it's just an inevitability), so it's predictable enough to where I can always keep traction with the careful application of my right foot. Gas mileage sucks though, 7-9MPG when I step on it lol.

As for affordability. If your budget is 5k, ur pushing it. But you also don't need to drop 11k on a Greddy in order to make decent and reliable power. I know this is a special case, and it doesn't hold true for most boosted Z owners (at least the ones I've had thee privilege of meeting in person), but I had a fairly decent wealth of knowledge, patience to do my research, and a decent amount of connections where I lived, to where I was able to FI my Z on stock internals with a VERY conservative and reliable tune, 375WHP (abput 415-445BHP, depending on drivetrain loss, haven't really sat down and calculated it yet) and no problems to date, all for about 6-7k. The turbo was added about 2 years ago, and those who know me can attest to the fact I know how to drive my car hard, and I still haven't had any major issues. Just an odd exhaust leak here or an oil leak there, both of which speak more to the condition of HI's roads than it does to my build.

I'm ranting again, but I guess my point is that you have to be realistic, do your research, let your own personal situation play out. I don't know you so I don't know how much you know about cars, FI, tunes, etc.

Good luck w/ your build though.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 AM
anthony87

lol @ 4SHIZZL... posts #69 through #75 are complete garbage posts, 'Thread filler'..

Can you stay ontopic or is the idea of me too much for you to forget.
I think that applies to you more then anyone else. Get over yourself. No one cares.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
Superchargers are way easier to drive than turbos, especially on moderate pedal to full throttle predictability.

Turbos have a surge that is way more fun, but harder to control, and gets annoying imo.

In general turbos make more power, but ive shut them up with my 600rwhp Supercharger!

plus i made 600rwhp under 10K cant do that with turbos even on a used kit installed.

if funny how these dumbazzes have time to talk about your post and your newness to the platform and the forums or whatever.

I bet if you search these SMARTAZZes that are responding, they dont even have turbos, never had a supercharger and cant reply respond effectively anyways, but they are internet gangsters that want to respond.
lol
WTF Corey?

The first few parts of your post are YOUR OPINION. If you cant handle gobs of midrange TQ and need power closer to redline where you've already been raped by a similar power TT car, then thats your problem.

Midrange thrust = annoying?? Are you fawking crazy?

Isnt belt slip annoying as $hit when you cant utilize all your rev range?

You preach this BS to noobs and they might think a S/C is in fact better, it is not what you make it seem.

Regarding the $10K limit you keep throwing around. I and others who KNOW YOU AND YOUR CAR laugh at that because you obviously have left some parts out. DO you have $30K into your setup? No, but the parts and labor you do have into easily exceed that. Exaggerate much?

Who that has any decent turbo kit have you shut up with your car? What have you run at the track? You cant race some no skill, no power having TT car/driver and claim to be better, that's weaksauce.

500whp turbo Z > 600whp S/C G anyday. Summer will prove it

OP-Im gonna try to be really nice and direct with you, we are men here so why sugar coat it?

If you dont/cant spend more than $6,000 on a proper setup, stay NA, you are too poor at the moment for this.

Going FI on your DD is NEVER a good idea. Murphy's Law, it $hits on ever FI owner at the worst possible time.

Last edited by Alberto; 01-26-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
OP-Im gonna try to be really nice and direct with you, we are men here so why sugar coat it?

If you dont/cant spend more than $6,000 on a proper setup, stay NA, you are too poor at the moment for this.

Going FI on your DD is NEVER a good idea. Murphy's Law, it $hits on ever FI owner at the worst possible time.
listen up OP, this is real talk right here from a guy who has the chops to give the advice...... and rarely does.

I FId my daily driver.. its not even BUILT yet and its already killing me.
7 months down.. sound like fun? It will be..when i buy another car to drive and leave this thing in my garage like a responsible man.

No reasonable adult drives a full circuit Nascar Lumina to work like out of frikn Days of Thunder...

"Like, its cool to have one and all.. and boy it looks fast alright....but.. uh... wtf are you doing driving it to work Ted?"

Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by herrschaft
Post count doesn't mean everything
Post count means everything. Everyone's post counts belongs to me...
Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

amen, getting tired of reading the same braggart BS all day long. I've had/have both, high power SC and high power turbo and both are easy to DD.

Originally Posted by Alberto
WTF Corey?

The first few parts of your post are YOUR OPINION. If you cant handle gobs of midrange TQ and need power closer to redline where you've already been raped by a similar power TT car, then thats your problem.

Midrange thrust = annoying?? Are you fawking crazy?

Isnt belt slip annoying as $hit when you cant utilize all your rev range?

You preach this BS to noobs and they might think a S/C is in fact better, it is not what you make it seem.

Regarding the $10K limit you keep throwing around. I and others who KNOW YOU AND YOUR CAR laugh at that because you obviously have left some parts out. DO you have $30K into your setup? No, but the parts and labor you do have into easily exceed that. Exaggerate much?

Who that has any decent turbo kit have you shut up with your car? What have you run at the track? You cant race some no skill, no power having TT car/driver and claim to be better, that's weaksauce.

500whp turbo Z > 600whp S/C G anyday. Summer will prove it

Last edited by str8dum1; 01-26-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I would love to join thuglicious arguments like this...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

so how much parasitic loss does a blower yeild at 21psi smartazz?
You dont know nor does anyone else on this forum, because your stuck sucking turbo fumes, and not providing usable content as the rest of the posters in this particular thread. From other centrifugal set ups, it is estimated at 5 to 10% more driveline loss over stock!

But since you think I am SOOOOOOO off base, please respond with the correct calculation Subject Matter Expert?

here ill answer for you

I have no effing idea, i just like to jump on the bandwagon and never do anything no one else has. When other kids post about topics, I just ride the wave because I am a follower.

what about your build is unique and different?
Eaton M90 twin screw supercharger:

The centrifugal superchargers are about the same. So, when the S/C spins at 12,000rpm it is taking 50hp from your engine. This is why you have belt issues (and always will). A 6 rib serpentine belt will never be able to transfer 50hp from the crank to the blower.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Eno

"every good argument is eventually ended when some fool comes in who actually knows what he is talking about."

Kind of surprised how this template bs thread turned into such a viral d1ck measuring contest.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Ruthless18x

Itgotwai2siriusnhur.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:20 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Itgotwai2siriusnhur.
It sure did.

So what's better, turbo or supercharger? Also, what's the best intake for the Z? I plan on getting a 350Z in a few weeks.

JUST KIDDING!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:24 PM
AmnCruzie

Originally Posted by KingBaby
I would love to join thuglicious arguments like this...
Simple solution... BOOST IT!!! (tax return money? lol)
Old 01-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Eno

Yeah, usually these are fun...

And on that note when I'm getting enough tax money back to pay for FI... I'm going to get my fanancial guy laid.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Teha99
I found this page to be pretty helpful for a basic understanding of what each does...

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/350z-performance.html

But yea, I see why everyone was a bit annoyed at first, you should have read up on the stuff.

Anyway, we all get the itch to do everything to our cars when we first get them but I think you should do what I did and take their advice and hold off until you have enough money to do it right
1. I am glad the post I made was helpful to you.

2. To the OP, my honest opinion is you are young & FI is expensive & risky. I strongly suggest you opt for dependability considering doing FI may blow your motor & if you are putting out a lot of hp, other mods will likely be needed. The 6-10K you would put into it (a lot more if forged internals) is only part of the cost. Some guys blow up one of more motors. I personally think you should finish your education, live with stock or NA hp & once you get a career, get settled, buy a home etc, then consider a new car by then. My bet is by that time you will find a car with 400+ hp etc in stock form you will want anyways.

A lot of things can happen with guys in school with cars, not many of them are wise/good.

My last point is I have been around long enough to know you will most likely blow off my advise as well as others which leads to "wisdom is gain through experience & experience is the process of making a lot of mistakes". Live & learn, just don't kill or hurt yourself or others in the process.....

Last edited by zland; 01-26-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Yeah, usually these are fun...

And on that note when I'm getting enough tax money back to pay for FI... I'm going to get my fanancial guy laid.
how do get more taxes back than your income? are you a wizard? if not, i dont think accountants like hookers. Jk jk.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:47 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL at this thread
Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Eno

Originally Posted by J 0 K 3 R
how do get more taxes back than your income? are you a wizard? if not, i dont think accountants like hookers. Jk jk.
I have HAD it with your sarcasm- you WILL face the arcane brilliance of my level 36 mage (once he's done doing my taxes and worked up an appetite for a Warlock hooker).
Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Ruthless18x

So anywho, any of you guys know any good websites for std awareness?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

be deployed, on my w-2's from the army it only shows $4200(what i made before deploying) ill prob get 6-7k back from taxs because of EIC and ohio child credit, plus i think i get 600 back from ohio just for being a deployed soldier O.o

Originally Posted by J 0 K 3 R
and ruthless webmd has the cure for super AIDS now, if you take it it cures all std's so no need for awareness.

Last edited by jerryd87; 01-27-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:40 PM
ctadashi09

high post count doesnt mean maturity either, im just saying you can help keep down the traffic, since you have the experience? NO?

Hypocrite

Quick Reply: supercharger vs turbos