Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Boosted Performance single turbo fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:13 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure why they would be down anyone's throat Gizz, I purchased my kit just like everyone else. But this is not a discussion, this is his thread of information. Think of it as a store front, you can ***** outside all day long, you can run your mouth but ruin a thread that actually helps people learn about things and you are degrading the purpose of this forum. You have your own little thread to b1tch and moan about.

Just so you understand the reality, According to Sasha, I am likely much younger than you, and honestly don't give two *****. Now let's set aside our obvious socio-economic differences and be level headed for a minute. If price was your only deciding factor on turbo kits DO NOT buy any kit. I chose BP because I could call and talk to a guy and get exactly what I wanted for a reasonable price and quality was at the very tip-top.

When I need to replace one of the engines on one of my aircraft, Do I go for the cheapest option? Do I automatically associate expense with quality? The answer is NO! I use experience, research, relationships, and diligence to determine the best source. Often times that means I can match low cost options with a still high end product. I believe this is what Sasha has accomplished here.

When I built my race motor for my boat, I managed to not **** and whine about a defective blower, it was fixed a couple weekends later... On my built motor GSXR 1000 race bike, I didn't get pissed at the engine builder because the clutch cable snapped at the track, I was beating the **** out of it and I should have checked the adjustment. When you play the blame game you look like a giant tool. Hell two days ago I was in Naples driving a new LP-560-4 wishing I wasn't getting ready for another build on the Z, we make choices and move on. You've made your choice now sack-up and take the consequences like a man. Fix your car, sell your car, burn it to the ground but honestly enough is enough whether it be BP or anyone else.

We make jokes all the time and Yes I love to jab at Sharif because rivalry is healthy and I see him every year at ZDAYZ and in TX2K and in ZNats along with SOHO and Z1 and IP and the old momentum guys. I have been a part of this community for a long while and in this time have learned that people like you will come and go, you give nothing back and expect everything.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

"I have been a part of this community for a long while and in this time have learned that people like you will come and go, you give nothing back and expect everything."

Damn, MI. Well said, I enjoyed that!
Old 05-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Dajersyrat

I made it half way through the first post and said to myself..."that looks like a nightmare of an install".
Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dajersyrat
I made it half way through the first post and said to myself..."that looks like a nightmare of an install".
How so? It is as easy as installing an exhaust system. Everything bolts right up, and no alterations to anything on the car are needed.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Ollie350z

Any update on the HR your currently fitting this kit to?
Old 05-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Dajersyrat

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
How so? It is as easy as installing an exhaust system. .
Surely you jest...Easy as an exhaust system to install? I highly doubt that.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Qtip350z

You clearly have no clue as to what is involved in a turbo set up!
If you were to research further you will find that this kit is the best single turbo option available and you would be lucky to have one!
And yes very similar to bolting up and exhaust!
Old 05-13-2014, 01:19 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Please...if you haven't changed your own oil, do not comment on anything you have no experience on. This style of turbo kit can be installed on floor jacks! If that doesn't help you understand...do as this emoticon is doing!

in for more HR updates
Old 05-13-2014, 05:31 PM
Dajersyrat

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Please...if you haven't changed your own oil, do not comment on anything you have no experience on. This style of turbo kit can be installed on floor jacks! If that doesn't help you understand...do as this emoticon is doing!

in for more HR updates
How do you know I have no experience installing a turbo kit or 2? And I love the Emoticon...Encouraging me to commit suicide, really nice... All from one comment that it looks like a pain in the *** to install. All turbo kits are pains in the asses to install on the Z platform, and Im sure this one is the easiest as you guys say. But There is a big difference between an exhaust install and a single turbo install of any manufacturer, but you with all you already knew that right? I was just saying that the analogy was a bit off..
Old 05-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Dajersyrat

I will say the install looks easier than that Stillen Supercharger for 370Z. That this is absurd and seriously flawed in the design of the manifold and impossible install..
Old 05-19-2014, 11:22 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KingBaby

in for more HR updates
LOL! I guess you don't realize you just said that to a my350z OG with a new account. That's Julian (former owner of MRC). While he may not have any experience with the BP kit, he has more VQ and FI experience than anybody else in this thread. He was building legit 500+whp Z's (anybody remember r0mey and doug?) and running 10's with his own Z before most of you joined the forum.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 05-19-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Dajersyrat

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
LOL! I guess you don't realize you just said that to a my350z OG with a new account. That's Julian (former owner of MRC). While he may not have any experience with the BP kit, he has more VQ and FI experience than anybody else in this thread. He was building legit 500+whp Z's (anybody remember r0mey and doug?) and running 10's with his own Z before most of you joined the forum.
Hey RudeG, Its funny to see all the BS I predicted back in 2007-2008 came to pass with Sam from GTM. After he destroyed my business, its refreshing to see the nutswingers abandon ship when he ran into issues. All along I said his products were shoddy and made in Mexico, I was right. Out of 5 of the motors i bought from him, as far as I know only 1 is still alive but it has been parked in a garage for over 5 years, the owner hardly drives it. His motors were junk...Period. I posted actual real hard data and specs on that back then and got flamed and called a liar by the entire community. Its sad when you think about it, all from one bad deal a guy I considered a friend before customer..

Anyhow Im just stopping by to see how the forum is doing and what has happened to the Z community is really disheartening to see..Its really boring around here, perhaps the fire needs to be lit under some rear ends.

Also looking at the top ten FI list, my 10.0@138 was never posted and my car was removed from the dyno list..lol talk about a bunch of sissies...At any rate, its good to see Karma came around to everyone that deserved it.. If I come into a big lump of money and decide to buy another Z, yall better be shaking in your boots around here!!!

Last edited by Dajersyrat; 05-19-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

lol

Seriously though, Julian was a great resource in NJ, sucks things went South for him ...business partners if memory serves.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Dajersyrat

Originally Posted by Row2K
lol

Seriously though, Julian was a great resource in NJ, sucks things went South for him ...business partners if memory serves.
It was multiple small things at one time...The business actually took the passion of the car and the motorsport right out of me..I began to hate it. I have been stress free since closing up shop and concentrating on my family...I missed my sons first steps back then cause I was in Cali at HKS training. I was never around for my family and I wasnt getting rich..

Then after all the people I helped whos cars would be no where near the levels they were if it werent for me giving them deals and free work, they turned on me and made me look like an ***..Would you eat the cost of a built motor after you told the person the car needed a new headgasket and NOT to take it, then you found out they went against your advice and raced to 140 MPH bouncing off the rev limiter and spewing coolant all over the place? How am I supposed to "do the right thing" there?

At any rate, I still tune a few cars here and there for a buddy's shop and have since switched over to old school American cars..
Old 05-19-2014, 12:30 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah Julian, it's just a different brand of nut swingers on here nowadays...

Unfortunately, there hasn't been much development or interest in FI for the 370Z. Built motor VQ37's are EXTREMELY rare. My '09 370Z is bone stock and I'm going to turn it in for something else in July. Unfortunately, the VQ35DE FI section has stagnated significantly. Ever since used 350Z's became cheap enough for kids to buy, the forum has been inundated with a new demographic of young dumb broke ricers looking to boost the Z on the cheap like a Honda Civic. You haven't really missed much since you've been gone.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 05-19-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Dajersyrat

Yeah Julian, it's just a different brand of nut swingers nowadays...

Unfortunately, there hasn't been much development or interest in FI for the 370Z. Built motor VQ37's are EXTREMELY rare. My '09 370Z is bone stock and I'm going to turn it in for something else in July. Unfortunately, the VQ35DE FI section has stagnated significantly. Ever since used 350Z's became cheap enough for kids to buy, the forum has been inundated with a new demographic of young dumb broke ricers looking to boost the Z on the cheap like a Honda Civic. You haven't really missed much since you've been gone.
I see that just looking at FI threads that are over 2 years old..LOL What happened to GTM BTW?

Also I hear Powerlabs and APS dont make their kits anymore. Your pretty much left with custom or Greddy.

Last edited by Dajersyrat; 05-19-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

my spidey sense was tingling in another thread he was posting in. Friggin knew it!

I see that just looking at FI threads that are over 2 years old..LOL What happened to GTM BTW?

Also I hear Powerlabs and APS dont make their kits anymore. Your pretty much left with custom or Greddy.
Oh the good old days where shops actually posted on here and everyone was nut swinging for somebody or themselves. They have all since really vacated since the GTR and 370z came out and a 350z can be bought cheaper than a new built block.

Get That Money....glad to see them gone. Overpriced crooks. Every time I saw a GTM kit in person i could tell by the crap fitment..tabs never lined up.

APS went to crap on their kits...people stopped buying and installing. Now they are looking at kanji and cheap ebay kits for 2k...sad.

The FI forum is not what it used to be that's for sure. Most of the new members would rather Stance or Plastidip...get that "mag" coverage on someones online blog and post DSLR pics.

BP kit is a lot easier an install..probably easier than a 350z Vortech.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

This kit was revised a while back, just for you bud. The original was actually rather straight forward to install. Not a single OEM part needs to be modified, drilled, cut...ect. The entire kit will literally bolt on out of the box. This is also the highest output single kit on the market both for the DE and the VHR engines, so not too bad for a "bolt on" kit.

There is a new version of the Boosted Performance twin scroll turbo kit for the VHR's....

Before I get to the details, I would like to thank this community for their support right from the beginning. It was great to see a positive response from car enthusiasts like myself when this kit was first introduced. As most of you know, my goal is to make the best turbo kit on the market, and have the best support possible behind it. I am not alone in this quest, as it is clear to that the guys at F.I have been doing the same thing, and also have a fantastic product available for you all. So it is great to see that I am not alone when it comes to putting a great product out to market.

I must also thank Mitco39, a local member who happened to be my second 370Z turbo customer. He was more than happy to bring his car over and leave it with me for three days. As a result I was able to achieve my goal in making the kit simpler to install.

There is a couple of reasons for this change. First is the install...and the feedback I received from current customers. A couple of you guys had a hard time with the installation of the 45* silicone coupler that goes directly on the turbo...and yes, it is a tight fit. This has now changed, and the new routing makes the install much easier.

The second reason (a result of the first) is the turbo options that will be available with the newly redesigned piping. With the new manifold the turbo sits at a slightly different location (very close to the previous). This allows me to use turbos that have the SP (S ported) compressor covers. These have a 4" inlet and a 2.5" outlet (vs 3.0" inlet and 2.0" outlet).

This opens up the doors for the new Precision GEN2 turbochargers like the all new 6266 rated at 800HP vs the old which was rated at 732HP:

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Street...6-CEA-reg-/567

As you can see this turbo is only available in the SP compressor cover configurations, so it was not compatible with the V1 of the turbo kit. There are a few more turbos that Precision is working on, but those won't be out till later this year. These will also be large turbos, and should only be considered for those who plan on building their engine.

Now to the recent changes.

If you recall, when I first had a donor car, I really wanted to route the IC piping on the driver side, but could not figure out a good way to do it. I then moved on, and figured out a way to push it though on the passengers side, and that works fine...nothing wrong with it, just a bit tight when installing.

It turns out, that if one moves the electrical connection on the starter by 180 degrees, enough room can be created to push a 2.5" intercooler pipe between it and the engine mount. This mod is very easy to do, loosen up an easy to get to 12mm bolt, spin the cable around 180 degrees, and you are done. Takes about a minute.

Here it is with the protective rubber boot, spun 180 degrees:

Name:  IMG_0145_zpsdd773316.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  2.65 MB

Because of this small modification the new plumbing looks like this:

Name:  IMG_0162_zps7541a906.jpg
Views: 1984
Size:  740.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0099_zps5f0f5599.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  782.0 KB

Going in front of the OEM engine mount: (if you have an aftermarket engine mount, there will be room to spare since they are smaller diameter)

Name:  IMG_0094_zps2b0bed17.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  3.05 MB

90 degree coupler looking from under the car, towards the steering knuckle:

Name:  IMG_0092_zpsbe820ad5.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  2.66 MB

T-bolt clamps are very easy to get to:

Name:  IMG_0176_zpsd6cb4894.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  2.92 MB

Name:  IMG_0175_zps61005277.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  461.0 KB

And over to the turbo:

Name:  IMG_0102_zps50fd6eb7.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  3.14 MB

On the floor it looks like so:

Name:  IMG_0150_zps7ff302d0.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  661.8 KB

Now, since I had to make a new manifold to change the turbo location I went an extra step. The manifold is now build out of SCH 10 pipe. This pipe has a wall thickness of 3mm and the is essentially now "extreme". It weighs twice a much, but it is also twice as strong. There is nothing wrong with V1 of the manifold because proper welding techniques were implemented (back purging being the most important). The V1 of the manifold is just fine, and is track proven on the 350z platform.

Half done:

Here you can see the difference in wall thickness between the old V1 piping and the new V2, the new is almost twice the thickness. :

Name:  IMG_0187_zps84f7c0e8.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  676.1 KB

Finished product:

Name:  IMG_0186_zps08996a86.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  1.08 MB

Mounted:

Name:  IMG_0142_zpsab6cc456.jpg
Views: 2318
Size:  3.15 MB

Clearance is still fantastic, and the lowest part of the turbo sits above the front sub-frame, and higher than the oil pan:

Name:  IMG_0128_zpsa7c7c421.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  2.42 MB

Port matched on the T4 flange:

Name:  IMG_0190_zps01280253.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  3.04 MB

All up:

Name:  IMG_0126_zps573894d2.jpg
Views: 3460
Size:  3.29 MB

Name:  IMG_0123_zps7de845e6.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  3.16 MB

Old compressor cover vs. new:

Name:  IMG_0193_zps23ebe97b.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  957.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0192_zps3681f6bb.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  3.62 MB

New turbo with larger air filter:

Name:  IMG_0178_zpsfeb7d128.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  690.3 KB

As a result of all this, the kit will now come with a oil thermostat, and two oil lines. One to the standard 30 row oil cooler and one from it back to the thermostatic plate:

Name:  IMG_0183_zpsda2f28a5.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  2.68 MB

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 05-19-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Dajersyrat

Im just curious as to your choice of turbo placement when designing this kit. Why did you opt to do a mid mount, undercar single turbo like the APS single turbo kit? (which really was not a huge seller back in the days)

Was the design prompted by ease of install? Or some other performance factor? Im honestly curious as to your design choices, and Im not being condescending in any shape or form, Im simply asking.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Im just curious as to your choice of turbo placement when designing this kit. Why did you opt to do a mid mount, undercar single turbo like the APS single turbo kit? (which really was not a huge seller back in the days)

Was the design prompted by ease of install? Or some other performance factor? Im honestly curious as to your design choices, and Im not being condescending in any shape or form, Im simply asking.

Ease of install and efficiency were the driving factors. The primaries are equal length, and provide much better exhaust scavenging than the traditional tangential turbine housings/design. This location also allows me to use a 67mm turbo with a T4 1.32 a/r housing, while keeping the turbo as close to the manifolds as possible. The kit works very well, and a lot of customers have had great results, primarily due to the T4 turbines.

The APS kit had it's limitations. A tiny T3 housing did not allow for any expansion/growth, which was a problem shared with other T3 single turbo kits (top mounts included).It was also more difficult to install since the crossover pipe was over the transmission. These engines breather so well, and move a lot of air so a larger T4 housing is a must IMO. This is based on EBP testing, and not guessing. My customers typically make about 600-650whp (DJ, built motors) on 93 pump gas with these kits. Back in the day race gas was used to get anywhere near 600whp on pump gas.

There is no issues with these low mount kits if it is designed well, especially when it comes to to oil return. There are over 70 of these out there, and they are doing very well, both on the street and on the track. The VHR guys have consistently made around 525whp with the twin scroll kits at around 10psi of boost. The boost/tq/hp curves are identical to the TT kits as well, so there is a big advantage:

Name:  20140412_094251_zpsdmljvl3t.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  73.4 KB

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 05-19-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Boosted Performance single turbo fabrication