Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VQ35HR Custom Rear Mount Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Holy fawk. Are you serious? A 2.X liter 5 cyl may only need 450cc for 450whp but to skimp on your injectors on a car YOU DONT OWN is stupid. For the extra couple of bucks you can reduce injector duty cycles and increase longevity of the whole fuel system.
Next get a self oiling turbo. An exa pump and all the fittings and lines will run you between 400-600buck depending on what lines etc you buy. That will offset the cost of buying a cheaper turbo. I do have a couple of 545hp precision turbos for sale, brand new if you're interested. Cheaper than most turbos and definitely going to be reliable. Just would reccomend changing the hotside housing to a bigger a/r.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 AM
xslangx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Holy fawk. Are you serious? A 2.X liter 5 cyl may only need 450cc for 450whp but to skimp on your injectors on a car YOU DONT OWN is stupid. For the extra couple of bucks you can reduce injector duty cycles and increase longevity of the whole fuel system.
Next get a self oiling turbo. An exa pump and all the fittings and lines will run you between 400-600buck depending on what lines etc you buy. That will offset the cost of buying a cheaper turbo. I do have a couple of 545hp precision turbos for sale, brand new if you're interested. Cheaper than most turbos and definitely going to be reliable. Just would reccomend changing the hotside housing to a bigger a/r.

Pumps are $186 for the same one thats used in the STS kit

lines are about 100$ total for what im going to do

2 quart sump is about 50$

will probably throw an oil cooler on there for the hell of it 100$

Its not a matter of skimping on the injectors its just a thing with efficiency..

1000cc's to make 400whp is a little overkill to me, just saying.. It doesnt make your car "Safer" its just headroom to upgrade later.

not to mention your gas mileage will suffer as the atomization is better suited when using around 70% injector duty cycle...

anyways..

any more info on self lubricating turbo's? I would love a good write up instead of diving into this blind..

I always had to custom make sh*t on my volvo so this is no big thing to me.. as long as I can keep it reliable Im going to shoot for 360-400whp and call it a day.. dont want to replace anything for a LONG time..

My main concerns (As adressed earlier) are crankcase pressure, I DONT WANT TO BLOW OUT ANYYYYY SEALS. NO THANKS. especially on this motor thats foreign to me ..

My 5 cyl volvo block I could pull apart and throw in a new one in a day..

not with this though x)

Pulling vaccumm from the manifold is another concern where should I draw from for the B.O.V/Boost gauge?

Transmission im assuming will hold up fine..

What about engine temps? I hear the 370's had oil cooler issues and was wondering the HR 350's are plagued with the same ?

Aftermarket radiators help at all?

sorry for the noob questions guys, I couldnt ask more from a forum though you guys are GREAT, FAST and knowledgeable

thanks for all the help

<3 JC
Old 05-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

You are going to need to do more research than that. Many times the sts pump has failes on their users. And oilless turbos are a quick google search away.
I never said 1000cc injectors, personally i'd go about 50cc higher than your crank hp goal. Or just buy 600's to be safe.

Listen this chassis and community isnt the same as your 20v back-yard rocket motor community. If you want to do something custom you better be prepared to be your own R/D team.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:24 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xslangx
To much injector, will run like ****..

Im looking for a turbo that I can get CHEAPLY preferably a ebay knockoff

I live in a terrible neighborhood and i dont want to risk getting a 1000$ turbo stolen, I want a cheap knockoff
Sounds like your priorities are screwed up. Perhaps you should focus on saving money to move out of that terrible neighborhood and get a place with a garage INSTEAD of trying to ghetto rig a Z that you are still making payments on.

How old are you?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my bet is 19...........20 tops, expect to see duct tape fender flares and wood wing on his z next month
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 PM
xslangx

Originally Posted by jerryd87
my bet is 19...........20 tops, expect to see duct tape fender flares and wood wing on his z next month
20 years old doing big things

How about we dont turn this into a flame war and keep the useful info flowing!

Backyard motor team? hahahah just because your scared to take a step off the beaten path doesnt mean that custom is going to fail.

Dont be ignorant.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread makes me laugh.... OP you have a lot to learn.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:38 AM
xslangx

Originally Posted by Quamen
This thread makes me laugh.... OP you have a lot to learn.
Then please teach.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:59 AM
xslangx

Here is the current list of parts, If I buy them all at cost im looking at about 1700$ I have plenty of IC piping in my garage, will just need 1 more HKS BOV as I have one on my volvo.

INJECTORS (e85 I will run ID1000's anyone want to toss me a link?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-skyli...ht_2222wt_1396

$500
____________________________________________________________ ____

FUEL PUMP WALBRO 400 lph.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Wa...ht_1352wt_1396

$164

OIL PUMPS x 2 (STS type, one feed one drain)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rear-Mou...ht_2462wt_1396

$125 x 2 = $250

EXPANSION TANK (Going to hold my oil) tapped for AN fittings up top.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Coo...ht_3534wt_1163
70$

TURBO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT35-T4-Turb...ht_5315wt_1163

$300

V BAND

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-3-V-...ht_1034wt_1163

$20

INTERCOOLER

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-5-x11-75-...ht_3980wt_1010

$110

OIL COOLER

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Blue-Alumi...ht_2054wt_1163

$40 basic trans type finned cooler.

OSIRIS UPREV tuner

www.uprev.com

$700 have had multiple offers for a 500$ one on the forum i might take it

WASTEGATE tial.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiAL-38mm-Wa...#ht_500wt_1180

$230

Calculate in about $200-$500 in welding/additional costs and were talking about $2000-$2500 for fuel tune and boost.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 AM
xslangx

turbo listing was taken down..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Uni...ht_5178wt_1163

Air Inlet 4"
Compressed Air Outlet 2.5"
Bearing Journal Bearing
Turbine Housing Flange Standard T4
Exhaust Outlet 3” Vband
HP 300~500 WHP
Working Pressure 6-25 PSI
Compressor .70 A/R
Turbine .68 A/R
Compressor Wheel 61.3 /82 mm
Turbine Wheel 62 /67.8 mm
Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Do it
Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 AM
xslangx

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Do it
I like the way you think
Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Lol

I just want to see you go down this "unbeaten" path as you think. It's been down already and cheaping out have been proven to fail on folks time and time again.

Quit posting and start searching
Old 05-13-2012, 09:40 AM
xslangx

Lol

I just want to see you go down this "unbeaten" path as you think. It's been down already and cheaping out have been proven to fail on folks time and time again.

Quit posting and start searching
What exactly am i "Cheaping out on?"

A gt35 knock off turbo that worst case scenario will go bad in 5000 miles? Oh boy, engine damage imminent. No wonder you guys get charged 8000$ for a turbo kit hahaha

The only thing low quality in this kit is the turbo, which will be rebuilt with garret internals anyways as I always do with my china turbos.

Ive ran them for over 60k miles on a garret rebuild on my 57 and 50 trim with no issues.

Dont be ignorant, this will be a solid kit, nothing is getting cheaped on its merely custom and requires a little head scratching other than your blatently overpriced "BOLT ON" yea!! let me pay 4000 extra for having someone already think for me ...
Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Roger roger I see you got it all planned out. 240sx guys do this all the time, seeing I was going to buy an eBay kit myself for my S13. So like I said this isn't new thinking.

So I'm not being ignorant or a hater, just informating you that it's been done and driving with eggs in the engine bay is always reassuring.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quit yapping and do it.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:48 AM
xslangx

Roger roger I see you got it all planned out. 240sx guys do this all the time, seeing I was going to buy an eBay kit myself for my S13. So like I said this isn't new thinking.

So I'm not being ignorant or a hater, just informating you that it's been done and driving with eggs in the engine bay is always reassuring.
Eggs in the engine bay? :|

I know its been done before im not pioneering anything new but everyones making it seem like this is blasphemy or something!

Im not afraid of fab work and it really is easy -__- Im pretty sure I could have my little 13 year old brother install this.

My first rear mount kit and it looks promising
Old 05-13-2012, 09:49 AM
xslangx

Originally Posted by djamps
Quit yapping and do it.
Yes sir!

Parts are on order slowly but surely
Old 05-13-2012, 11:43 AM
ace32x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your in for a surprise op, get cracking and you will understand why more people dont do this.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:55 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

oh trust me i dont mind different and custom i just still buy quality parts. my fuel system is custom built using a swirl pot and dual bosch 044's mounted in the spare tire area(although granted would have been alot cheaper if i knew it was gona wind up with the fuel lines inside the car would have used stainless hardline vs stainless braided.), i believe im the only one on this site using wossner 8.0:1 pistons, and i did have a staggered set of kelford cams on order to left shift my powerband but it appears they will never come in. i came from a community that ALWAYS used ebay or holset turbos and while the holsets are great for performance i have seen just how shitty the ebay crap is. like i said they dont care when you can replace both turbos and the entire engine for 1k, we cant do that.

im all for doing a rear mount, im using sasha's mid mount, but at least do it right. use one of the comp triple ball bearing turbos that are oilless, or use a holset with a good oil pump not something shitty thats going to fail under 5k miles. some things you can cheap out on, zip ties, charger air piping, unimportant fasteners with no load on em, shift *****(hell yah this guy does) other things you dont, turbo, fasteners that actuall hold something, seats, ect.

also remember the holset while being very good quality is still designed for a diesel, the thing with the name brand stuff is that it performs better, my 6765 matchs the old t71's for power and destroys them on spool, the new 6766 destroys even that, stuff like the holset cant even really compete. its all about making the most usable power possible, not just a peak number.

also looking at your parts list really get better oil pumps that arnt going to screw you, and for a oil cooler i dint see what it was but you can get cheap ones from racer parts wholesale think they are as low as 20 bucks for just the cooler if thats all the auction was. and are bar and fin type vs tube and fin.
Originally Posted by xslangx
20 years old doing big things

How about we dont turn this into a flame war and keep the useful info flowing!

Backyard motor team? hahahah just because your scared to take a step off the beaten path doesnt mean that custom is going to fail.

Dont be ignorant.

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-13-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: VQ35HR Custom Rear Mount Turbo