Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

30-35k TT 350z build. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:20 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have about 60k into mine and it's no where near "perfect". You didn't post goals or anything.

If I was to do it all over again I would never spend money on this platform. Nice cars but not worth the money. Mine came all in sections so it added up. If I would have just left it alone and spent all the money in upgrades I easily would have had a bad *** GTR. Intake, exhaust, and tune can yield into the 10's on a GTR with far less headache and a reliable vehicle.

Depending your goals I would go with a simple single turbo setup. You're not too far from Sasha so I would grab one of his kits.

If you are hell bent on just wasting money on this platform not designed for this then I would walk away from an HR engine. You have to build the block anyways so just get a cheap DE block.

Again, for that amount of money there are plenty of stock cars that would destroy this car in both handling, power and sex appeal without having to do a single mod. This is borderline troll post with someone wanting to just throw away that kind of money up front on this platform.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 PM
bossmangunit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
I have about 60k into mine and it's no where near "perfect". You didn't post goals or anything.

If I was to do it all over again I would never spend money on this platform. Nice cars but not worth the money. Mine came all in sections so it added up. If I would have just left it alone and spent all the money in upgrades I easily would have had a bad *** GTR. Intake, exhaust, and tune can yield into the 10's on a GTR with far less headache and a reliable vehicle.

Depending your goals I would go with a simple single turbo setup. You're not too far from Sasha so I would grab one of his kits.

If you are hell bent on just wasting money on this platform not designed for this then I would walk away from an HR engine. You have to build the block anyways so just get a cheap DE block.

Again, for that amount of money there are plenty of stock cars that would destroy this car in both handling, power and sex appeal without having to do a single mod. This is borderline troll post with someone wanting to just throw away that kind of money up front on this platform.
I'll lay it out exactly what we want for you and see what you think.

Goals were initially mid 500's but after reading it seems like that will be a pretty big pita to achieve/maintain so 450-500 is the new goal.
Upgrade susp, exhaust, brakes, clutch, turbo kit

Then the rest is just aesthetics: rims, maybe a body kit, planning on wrapping the interior in suede with CF accents, but 90% of that work we will do on our own so shouldn't be too pricey.

What do you think?

The total price we're planning is including the price of the car. Haven't bought one yet, we were trying to decide whether to go HR or DE, but just got a good line on an HR today and will probably go that route.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 PM
binder

hmm, with that in mind your budget would be too small for the built block route. It is safer/easier to get 450hp out of an HR but there is less support for the HR platform as well.

There are still HR failures on stock block at lower hp so nothing is really "safe". If you are spending a lot on suspension and other mods I would highly consider best quality for your money turbo setup which would be boosted performance single turbo setup. Unfortunately unless you bring the HR to him he does not have an HR kit pre-made. It would save you quite a bit of money over a greddy system though even with a full Haltech ECU. PM him and see if you can bring the car over and have him make a kit for you.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 PM
bossmangunit

hmm, with that in mind your budget would be too small for the built block route. It is safer/easier to get 450hp out of an HR but there is less support for the HR platform as well.

There are still HR failures on stock block at lower hp so nothing is really "safe". If you are spending a lot on suspension and other mods I would highly consider best quality for your money turbo setup which would be boosted performance single turbo setup. Unfortunately unless you bring the HR to him he does not have an HR kit pre-made. It would save you quite a bit of money over a greddy system though even with a full Haltech ECU. PM him and see if you can bring the car over and have him make a kit for you.
He's going to give me a call tomorrow and we'll talk. We're actually in the same city, which is insane since I live in the middle of nowhere where there is usually nothing available and you have to ship stuff insane distances for ridiculous prices. I guess I got super lucky with this one.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:46 PM
binder

ya, that's a no brainer. Local support, full haltech with turbo kit all for less than just the greddy tuner kit.

Since he needs to build jiggs for an HR he would build it for you and it would be already installed on your car. Saves you time. If you need to remove it then it's cake. Last time I pulled the engine I reinstalled the entire turbo kit in less than 2 hours. Don't have to drop the engine if you need to service the turbos or change the wastegate spring. Not to mention 2 of my local friends this past summer have had greddy manifolds crack on them. The shitty cast metal can't be welded either. Their quality control has really gone downhill lately.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So what are you building this for? Everything sounded good until the suede interior with carbon fiber accents comment. Because show car?

And on the Greddy, their DE mold is getting old so the casts aren't that great lately. Heard that directly from a Greddy rep when I was trying to find the down pipes.

Last edited by Ruthless18x; 08-20-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 PM
bossmangunit

ya, that's a no brainer. Local support, full haltech with turbo kit all for less than just the greddy tuner kit.

Since he needs to build jiggs for an HR he would build it for you and it would be already installed on your car. Saves you time. If you need to remove it then it's cake. Last time I pulled the engine I reinstalled the entire turbo kit in less than 2 hours. Don't have to drop the engine if you need to service the turbos or change the wastegate spring. Not to mention 2 of my local friends this past summer have had greddy manifolds crack on them. The shitty cast metal can't be welded either. Their quality control has really gone downhill lately.
Awesome, sounds like it'll be the best way to go.

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
So what are you building this for? Everything sounded good until the suede interior with carbon fiber accents comment. Because show car?

And on the Greddy, their DE mold is getting old so the casts aren't that great lately. Heard that directly from a Greddy rep when I was trying to find the down pipes.
Nope not a show car, just for fun. CF accents = real cf nothing crazy. Probably just around the shifter ****. I'll try to find a pic but someone did it around his shifter and it looked awesome so we want to do it.

Suede wrap is a why not thing. We can do it on our own, won't be too expensive and from looking at pictures online it should look pretty awesome.

It'll be his second car/summer car but will be driven every chance possible. Occasionally tracked/drag strip for fun but nothing crazy.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to consider in the DE versus HR discussion is torque. The DE motors make more torque than HR motors when boosted. If all you want is a horsepower number to brag about, the HR is the easier route to 450-500whp. But if you want to track the car, I'd chose the better torque output of the DE motor.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 08-20-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 PM
bossmangunit

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Another thing to consider in the DE versus HR discussion is torque. The DE motors make more torque than HR motors when boosted. If all you want is a horsepower number to brag about, the HR is the easier route to 450-500whp. But if you want to track the car, I'd chose the better torque output of the DE motor.
Damn, you had to go and make the decision harder didn't you?
How much of a difference are we talking about here?

It's not going to be a track car per se but will probably end up going to the track/strip ~once a month, or atleast thats the plan
Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bossmangunit

What other platforms are good to start on? Don't like american except for corvettes but they're too expensive. G35 is the same car but I prefer the 350 and everything else I like is too old (ie supra) and will cost the same if not more money.
I know some people won't agree with this suggestion, but if I was to start over I would have sold my z and bought an ap1 s2k with low miles. Then got a hard top and stuck the biggest borg warner I could fit on it. There are more and more cars popping up online running huge power on stock internals. I'd personally grab some nice cams, l19's, slightly thicker head gasket, top speed top mount mani, any billet t4 turbo etc, hondata + map sensor... you know the regular stuff. Would be easy to build. Only problem seems to be the transmission. Nothing that can't be dealt with.

Especially considering ap1's go for cheap, and having ridden in a few 'track' s2k's, I really like the way they handle. Still like the Z the most, but s2k's are very gokart... aside from the snap under-steer which is terrifying.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 PM
bluelineshooter

Ok so I read the thread. What do you guys think is better

Save the money and get an 04-06 VQ35DE, new block and twin it.
Or 07-08 HR and twin the stock engine?

Also, is the Greddy kit worth the extra cash, I'm going to need bigger injectors anyways.

Also, we're encorporating a CD009 tranny into the pricing since we will probably have to replace it eventually right?

Definitely will need an LSD. Am I missing anything?

Other than that new susp, exhaust, brakes. Missing anything major?
Have you considered a V8 swap? Drop an LS1 or LS6 in it and call it a day.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 AM
user 7373

Originally Posted by bigcloud
Where is Alberto when you need him. Sigh. OP tell your brother to buy a GT-R and buy the Alpha 6 kit. It's what I'm doing now.
Banned

Also OP just buy a already done car and then replace **** every 5k miles when **** blows up.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:31 AM
TopgunZ

In regards to everyone saying to save up more money then go buy a GT-R.... Has anyone considered the insurance costs of this? When I was looking into buying one a couple of years ago it was outrageous! I even had a clean record, "had", lol. It will be like making another car payment almost every month.

Plus upkeep and maintenance isnt like a civic either. Pretty much everything will make you go
Old 08-21-2012, 07:44 AM
bossmangunit

Originally Posted by Resmarted
I know some people won't agree with this suggestion, but if I was to start over I would have sold my z and bought an ap1 s2k with low miles. Then got a hard top and stuck the biggest borg warner I could fit on it. There are more and more cars popping up online running huge power on stock internals. I'd personally grab some nice cams, l19's, slightly thicker head gasket, top speed top mount mani, any billet t4 turbo etc, hondata + map sensor... you know the regular stuff. Would be easy to build. Only problem seems to be the transmission. Nothing that can't be dealt with.

Especially considering ap1's go for cheap, and having ridden in a few 'track' s2k's, I really like the way they handle. Still like the Z the most, but s2k's are very gokart... aside from the snap under-steer which is terrifying.
We looked into it but just don't like s2k's.

Originally Posted by bluelineshooter
Have you considered a V8 swap? Drop an LS1 or LS6 in it and call it a day.
Yep lol actually just started looking it up last night. Its another option now.

Originally Posted by mutation666
Banned

Also OP just buy a already done car and then replace **** every 5k miles when **** blows up.
I'm surprised everyone keeps saying this, we really wanted to do it on our own but are considering just buying one now.

Originally Posted by TopgunZ
In regards to everyone saying to save up more money then go buy a GT-R.... Has anyone considered the insurance costs of this? When I was looking into buying one a couple of years ago it was outrageous! I even had a clean record, "had", lol. It will be like making another car payment almost every month.

Plus upkeep and maintenance isnt like a civic either. Pretty much everything will make you go
Insurance shouldn't be a problem, also anytime you drop this kind of money you have to expect to pay to maintain it.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:08 AM
bigcloud

You're right about the costs, but it comes with the territory. You have to pay to play just like all the FI veterans say on here. In GT-R country you really pay to play. The upside is you don't have to worry about blowing your motor like ALL FI guys/gals in this forum do. There's a saying "it's not IF, but WHEN". You won't have that with a GT-R. That's why I decided to get one. Should be here by November.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 AM
TopgunZ

Insurance shouldn't be a problem, also anytime you drop this kind of money you have to expect to pay to maintain it.
You are saying this like your buying a GT-R. Im not talking about insuring a Z. It will be about 5 times more for a GT-R.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:27 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This right here. As well as the rest of your post, but that's a whole story in its self.

If you find a Z for $10k, you only have $25k to mod. I doubt for a "built" car that $25k is enough for mods. I'm in about $10k just in exterior mods. Not including paint or wheels. Something to really think about if you are trying to build a car inside and out.

Last edited by graffkid732; 08-21-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM
bigcloud

You are saying this like your buying a GT-R. Im not talking about insuring a Z. It will be about 5 times more for a GT-R.
My quote for insurance on the GT-R is $700/6 months.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why not just buy one that is already built? people are selling built motored turbo Z/G's for 30k or less. There is no way you could replicate everything for less money.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM
TopgunZ

Originally Posted by graffkid732
This right here. As well as the rest of your post, but that's a whole story in its self.

If you find a Z for $10k, you only have $25k to mod. I doubt for a "built" car that $25k is enough for mods. I'm in about $10k just in exterior mods. Not including paint or wheels. Something to really think about if you are trying to build a car inside and out.
My 06 Touring w/19k miles - $19,500
Rims, body kit,lip, spoiler, paint, hood - $5,000
Stillen kit - $5,000
PL kit (slightly used)- $4,000
Fuel and ecu - $1,500
Guages, oil cooler, Clutch, etc. - $1,500
Tuning - $1000
= $37,500

Watching my girlfriends big fake boobies almost slap her in her face - Priceless

Quick Reply: 30-35k TT 350z build. Suggestions?