Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

greddy twin build...

Old 10-21-2017, 02:42 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by louisville13
Thank you ...
sure thing...a pretty good discussion, especially for the guys running this kit.

Could you send me a link please?
just straight-up off ebay ... for $15 each, delivered to my door I'm not fabbing anything!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...19.m1438.l2649

Or better yet fab me up a set of downpipes when you do yours
let me see how these come out and we can talk numbers ... materials are relatively inexpensive, my time is cheap ... the challenge will be fitment my car vs. yours ...

What is your power range?
it's a little more difficult in colorado but something with a 6 in front of it would put a smile on my face ... The turbos are too small for big numbers!

don't know if a 4" would be necessary for me
in reality, splitting hairs, it's a ~3.8" ID ... I wanted to do it once and for all...the 4" will be big enough for anything the car can put out!!

Man I would kill to have a shop with all the machinery/tools needed to be able to do this.
Rome wasnt built in a day...

That's smart, I didn't even thing about flex pipe in the down pipe. I was thinking about the disconnect on my set up too, but in the opposite fashion ha. Id run open downpipes at first, then when I can afford a catback, unbolt them and bolt the exhaust up.
I've had months & months to think about it. I have a few good car buddies I bounce ideas off of, read what others have done, take the best of what comes out...some heated discussions for sure!

any input on a 3.5" downpipe vs 3" downpipe with open wastegate dump?
Id assume 3" is sufficient ... also get up underneath the car and see how much room is there...Also remember that the steering shaft is a factor.

pick up a copy of Maximum Boost by Corky Bell - it's a pretty good read and may help you with your build.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:45 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Once the coilovers get put on the car and over the cold months...

missing the 2">3" expanders, a 4" flex hose, and...anything else I'm forgetting...
Old 10-21-2017, 03:52 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

I want your mechanical skills Bealljk!
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (11-06-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 01:48 PM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Those hood vents are fricken awesome!!

You like stripping ****, don't you? (wheels and sound deadening material)
Old 10-23-2017, 09:20 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by SAMzG35
Make me a set!!!!! Lol
PM me about them ... I'll see if the guy has the template
Originally Posted by Conway_160
I want your mechanical skills Bealljk!
Thank you for the compliment...Like everything you see on the internet(FB, IG, forums, etc.) you dont see what it took to get there, you dont see the scrap bin of it forked-out 3 times before it was finally done right. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not expert and quite possibly the best thing about these cars is there are always replacement parts and replacement materials. But with that being said - everyone was a beginner at some point in time.
Originally Posted by eZg
Those hood vents are fricken awesome!!
thanks! glad the turned out...was worried when I left the guys shop I just dropped $120 on scrap...

Originally Posted by eZg
You like stripping ****, don't you? (wheels and sound deadening material)
If it doesnt have a bonafide function to make the car run, run safe, or run fast it has to go!
my goal is 2750lbs ... and it's getting real slim all the sudden...I'm somewhere north of 2900lbs right now

Hoping the coils come in this week!

Last edited by bealljk; 10-23-2017 at 09:21 PM.
BluestreamDE (10-23-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 09:43 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Found a pretty sweet fab shop in south denver who stocks a whole lot of aftermarket goodies...picked up $20 worth of 4" stainless...need a few slivers to mount V-bands to flex hose sections and want to 'attempt' a dual 3" to single 4" collector merge. Vibrant has one for $110 which looks decent but I'd like to try it myself first.

Got plenty of 3" 45* and now a chunk of 4" - mocked everything in CAD to conceptualize/see how the numbers fit first...took a 8" piece of 4" SS and 5lb sledged-it as gingerly as I could (according to my CAD drawing).

I wasnt able to use my band saw to cut my 3" merge section ... just had to guess & check with the 4" grinder...gaps could have come out better but it's close enough.

tacked everything together and looked decent ...

ran some welds tonight and not sure how I feel about them ... I'll sleep on it, if they bother me I'll grind them off and re-do them...

continued:
got a few more cuts taken care of...

Last edited by bealljk; 11-04-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:51 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Fabbing up the Y pipe is sorta a time filler while coilovers come in...

I know (trust that) greddy did their best designing the filter-to-turbo track ... but GD it's dumb ... it fluctuates in size, sits right infront of the radiator, filters suck, among others...and I know, an OEM setup has to account for the alt/ac units...

luckily I have ample room to work. Been dreaming up ideas (feel free to chime in with ideas) on how make this as efficient as possible...The solution (from where I sit now) is to run 3" lines to an area of the engine bay that can supply cool / ambient air.

My thought is to re-do/relocate my cooling fan and run the intake pipes to the drivers side, fabricate a single airbox (utilizing a large panel filter rather than dual cone filters) that sits to side of the radiator that snorkels ambient air...

It's been in the works to relocate the oil cooler to the passenger side which will open up this area of the front end. The airbox will sit under the headlight in-front of the front drivers side wheel ... add some foil backed insulation and velocity stacks on the 3" pipes and I'll be set...

Last edited by bealljk; 10-29-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:11 PM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I removed all the a/c stuff from my car this time. I've also been thinking about redoing the turbo air intake pipes to gather colder air. The Greddy setup isn't the best. At idle with the fans on I can watch the iat's climb pretty high with the Haltech
Old 10-30-2017, 12:34 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by TT03Z
I removed all the a/c stuff from my car this time. I've also been thinking about redoing the turbo air intake pipes to gather colder air. The Greddy setup isn't the best. At idle with the fans on I can watch the iat's climb pretty high with the Haltech
Insult to injury when the charge pipe (right above the driver side header) is heating the air as well. I wrapped mine and temps dropped (per the haltech) but I have a feeling they'll drop a little more with the vents
Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

coils came in ... and everyone in the land was happy

initial thoughts:
Packaged very well - everything wrapped & padded and doubled boxed using 2-ply cardboard boxes.
Fortune gives you a nice little packet with your spring dyno graphs, a hand-written certification, product instructions/warning/sticket/promotional brochure, spanners, and allen wrench. Just a nice touch.

Un wrapped everything and it looks good.
woke up at 8am on a saturday to get a start on this...the weather is still holding here in colo!

Last edited by bealljk; 11-04-2017 at 07:51 AM.
BluestreamDE (11-04-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:49 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Fortunes installed ... put about 150 miles on them over the weekend...

my initial driving thoughts are they feel the same as the tokico/eibachs ... but I've been driving very very gingerly and not really pushing the car. I put the vehicle about 3/4" above the tires and it's too low ... scrapping on stuff. I'll probably put another 1/2" or 3/4" before I go and get the suspension (professionally) retuned.

I've set them 100% stiff which I'll lighten them up ... I did take a few corners pretty quick and no tire-rub - so that's good!!

on hard straight-line acceleration the back end would break-loose but the traction control would kick-in - the caveat should be the tires I have are horrrriiibbblllle...

here are some pics...pretty easy install and took 2 rounds of height adjustment to get it right.

Another perk, I dropped around 26lbs by doing this swap!

Last edited by bealljk; 11-06-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Other note worthy items over the weekend...

The lightweight/low output alternator and lightweight battery all did as expected for the time I put on the car. The hood louvers dissipated heat well (at stoplights I could see heat waves coming up) and no hot-start issues.

Im not 'completely' sure what greddy was thinking with their intake track (other than OEM constraints) but I put these 3" aluminum intake pipes w/the greddy filters and it 'felt' like the car was peppy'r and I audible hear the turbos whine (where before I couldnt).

I'll be pecking away at the exhaust ... added a 2" piece between the flex hose and a V-band flange - which will mate up to the 4" aluminum exhaust.

waiting on some 16ga aluminum sheet to fab-up the airbox...came across this article(mostly on page 2) - seems well written but it's hard for me to follow his logic but the author mentions the importance of taking the intake charge from ambient air (as opposed from behind the radiator...Greddy)...speaks of an 8% loss when taking charge air from behind the radiator...

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...-and-More.aspx

Last edited by bealljk; 11-08-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:45 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

wanted to weld a little bit last night...got a flange and a piece of 4" welded on, tacked the two 3" sticks. I think these will end up getting trimmed back but this will work for now!

Old 11-11-2017, 08:20 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Exhaust is making progress ...

I'm interested in the effects of an ambient air intake temp vesus 'behind radiator' air intake temp. I have a ton of data logs where I can compare the two different intake sources...

more to come...
Old 11-12-2017, 07:21 PM
SAMzG35

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Random question
Are you running map or stock maf?
I got Haltech ecu with 4 bar map sensor and comes with no instructions on how to connect the map sensor :/
Old 11-12-2017, 08:15 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Random question
Are you running map or stock maf?
I got Haltech ecu with 4 bar map sensor and comes with no instructions on how to connect the map sensor :/
ripped that MAF a-lonnnnnnnngggggg time ago!!!

let me look at some stuff...I got a link on my computer with the assigned harnesses
Old 11-13-2017, 12:04 AM
SAMzG35

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
ripped that MAF a-lonnnnnnnngggggg time ago!!!

let me look at some stuff...I got a link on my computer with the assigned harnesses
so you connect the MAP to the MAF wiring? Please let me know what you find.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:04 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

so you connect the MAP to the MAF wiring? Please let me know what you find.
no no no...CUX set me up a little while back...a GM temp sensor gets spliced into 2 of the 6 wires of the MAF, the remaining 4 get dead-ended.

The external MAP goes to the 4 wire connector - per Hal's Post #6
https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/3362...ernal-map.html
Old 11-13-2017, 07:41 PM
tony_t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My setup is similar to the greddy kit as you've seen. 3" intakes were quite a tight fit. And I ditched the a.c. so that helped. I did have to bend the power steering feed tube to clear the passenger intake.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by tony_t
My setup is similar to the greddy kit as you've seen. 3" intakes were quite a tight fit. And I ditched the a.c. so that helped. I did have to bend the power steering feed tube to clear the passenger intake.
I ran power steering-less (kept the pump, but removed the belt) and I didnt mind it and dropping down the mini-alt really opened things up...

I've got some 16g aluminum sheet coming in later in the week where I'll fab up a airbox that'll sit on the driver side under the headlight.

Hoping this will drop my IATs ... I'll compare & contrast...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: greddy twin build...