Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

BUDGET Turbo Project- Started

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 02:38 PM
ZedFed

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Final Costs for turboed350z
$1360 Godpseed Full turbo kit + Utec
$180 550cc Injectors
$50 50mm ebay Wastegate(didnt use)
$50 38mm emusa wastegate
$26 Copper Gasket for wg
$14 Tial 5psi wg spring
$23 oil filter sanwich plate
$20 50mm wastegate piping(didnt use)
$30 RFL BOV(this was optional)
$25 Graphite gasket sheet
$6 furnace cement(not on there anymore)
~$50 misc gaskets(estimating high here)
$134 oil pan spcer

$1968 total. Could of had around $1800, but I bought things that didn't work or I didn't need.

Things added later.
Sold free exhaust I had on car for $500 and bought wider tires and an e-cutout for around $500($414 free mouting/balance because I have the machine)

That's awesome build! Yea I went with an ITS turbo kit with a Tnetics Raptor BOV and evolution w/g I bought from a guy on here and after getting upRev I ended up spending around $2700. I also bought stuff I didn't need like coilovers but eh, the price was on point, just hit the market and wasn't gonna pass it up because I know they price would jump big time lol
Old 01-26-2017, 05:44 PM
Bmxerboi221

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Small update. Since I had the turbo installed I have had an engine code for cats(O2 sensors).

Two weeks it started hesitating in boost in 3rd gear/higher after advancing the timing and threw a code for multiple misfires.

I still had oem heat range denso iridiums that were only a few thousand miles old. I went back to old timing and misfires were still there.

I purchased NGK iridiums one heat range colder and installed them. Misfired went away and now I can actually get a sticker(haven't had once since 2013) since the ecu readied even under boost.

I will have to play with timings again
So is the eBay turbo still going strong? Would you recommend this kit for a budget build?
Old 01-27-2017, 08:24 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Still going. I need v-band gaskets to seal the minor leaks it has due to cheap flanges, but I have other projects I want to do.

If I had to do it again I would have made a custom rear-mount set-up just so I didn't have to deal with the exhaust leaks/heat in engine bay(which isn't an issue, but it gets very hot) and used bolted flanges with gaskets. Or swapped the v-band flanges over to 2-bolt style.

I would only recommend if you are able to make a custom turbo set-up without a kit.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:01 AM
quickdiversion

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

5th gear Not very smooth curve. Timing is set to 7.5-11.5 degrees at full boost.. AF/R are around 11.8-12, but I was running open dumps so they couldn't hook up the meter

Awww, that's cute
Old 06-06-2017, 06:13 AM
iideadeyeii

+60whp and +110 tq at the wheels for ~$1900. Find ANY 350z that can beat my cost to performance ratio. . .you can't.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:03 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

great thread! Proof that spending huge amounts of dollars doesn't yield huge gains...
The following users liked this post:
iideadeyeii (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 10:32 AM
iideadeyeii

Will update again soon.
Switched stock mid-pipe for an ebay aftermarket I had laying around for years(removed my electronic cut-out since I wasn't using it and it's annoying)
and will advance timing about 7-9 degrees at higher rpms since HP falls due to the timing being pulled too far. I have been told this is costing me about 30whp at higher rpm's. I want to keep it under 330ish since no-one has blown an engine at that WHP

Re-did all v-band gaskets(they actually didn't leak except the one that connects to the mid-pipe since I bottomed out on a street in Boston so that's good they were holding up.

Installed a heat blanket on the turbo(makes a HUGEEEE difference)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:23 PM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm not familiar with the Godspeed kit. What size turbo is on your car?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:46 AM
iideadeyeii

Originally Posted by rearranged
I'm not familiar with the Godspeed kit. What size turbo is on your car?
It's the same as the TN kit, but Chinese replica. So t4 60-1, AR? I forget
Old 08-30-2017, 07:32 AM
iideadeyeii

It's been a while, but I finally got a battery for my laptop and I was able to do some real tuning.(which is super easy with a "base" map and I don't know why more people don't tackle this themselves)

Before the car would run very rich at low rpm(10.0) in the 1-3psi area and I had a lean spot at 2250 at low throttle which wasn't a problem for the quarter mile track, but for regular driving I had to drive the car a specific way to avoid those areas and I got used to driving it that way, but it was not ideal. So i was able to get rid of the rich spot and the lean spot is dealt with but not perfect

I really need an empty highway so I can do 45-65 pulls and log the data then adjust, but for now I was doing it manually by looking at the AFR/MAP pressure/RPM without a log and it worked out pretty good. I can't image what I'll be able to do with full logging.

I found out I am only boosting around 4.5psi in first gear and topping 6.2psi i second. So I believe I have a 6psi spring and I never actually knew how much boost I was getting only that is was under 8psi(which is my ignition cut-out).

Adjusted timing from 11.5 to I believe 15.5 at full boost at higher rpm(still very conservative), but I noticed the increase in power immediately. 10whp per 1lb of boost is pretty low and that's probably due to my timing. I would think 15 is more like the average for these cars.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:09 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

If I had to do it again I would have made a custom rear-mount set-up
I'm not sure how I feel about rear mount but it'd help with weight distribution as well!!

Installed a heat blanket on the turbo(makes a HUGEEEE difference)
do you have a second to elaborate on the differences?

It's been a while, but I finally got a battery for my laptop and I was able to do some real tuning.(which is super easy with a "base" map and I don't know why more people don't tackle this themselves)
+1 ... I find it enjoyable - assuming youre doing this off a wideband?

I found out I am only boosting around 4.5psi in first gear and topping 6.2psi i second. So I believe I have a 6psi spring and I never actually knew how much boost I was getting only that is was under 8psi(which is my ignition cut-out).
Are you running a boost control solenoid? I only get 12psi out of my 14psi springs (without boost control) ... nature of the beast

Last edited by bealljk; 08-31-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:47 AM
iideadeyeii

A rear-mount would have been easier, but after I got all the kinks out(pretty much just exhaust leaks from bad flanges) I WOULD recommend the godspeed kit(they don't sell under than name anymore), but only if graphite gaskets are purchased/made, but i could have saved 1k from a rear-mount.

The turbo would heat the metal headlight surround to the point of not being able to touch the metal(of the headlight surround) for more than a second or so.

The cheap ebay $20-25 turbo blanket has reduced engine bay temps significantly(Not sure how much). I can go beat on the car for 5-10 minutes and put my hand right on the blanket for any amount of time. Additionally when I open the hood; it doesn't feel like I just opened my oven

Yes, off a wideband. I do have a few programs that work with the utec and the LC-1 to "auto-tune" (MPS, UTI), but I haven't really used them.

No boost control solenoid. Emusa(eBay brand) wastegate with what I believe is a 5lb tial wastegate spring

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 08-31-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:48 AM
iideadeyeii

Not much of an update, but I increased timing about 6 degrees a full boost across the rpm range (6psi). Clutch now slips on highway at full throttle starting around 3200rpm(my peak torque)

So, I need a upgraded clutch kit, maybe a lighter flywheel while I'm in there(not sure yet because I am not sure If I'll like the change) and a 009 transmission to fix my 3rd gear grind(or I can replace synchro, as I am comfortable breaking itdown but I am not sure if I need any specific tools to do this)

I am going to keep running it like this for now and avoid slipping the clutch as I have two other cars that need immediate repairs in addition to lots of home projects going on on both of my houses.
jdepe (08-04-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 09:50 AM
Cracka350

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Damn this is still going. Sub'ing for fun.
3 questions. What are you up to on spending > How much have you squeezed out of the build so far > how long has the build lasted without failure? I wonder about Chinese casting on a sensitive part.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 AM
iideadeyeii

I haven't experienced clutch slip since that day and I honestly think I was applying mild pressure on the clutch pedal without realizing it(resting my foot on it)

I have been daily driving on and off this summer(when it's not raining) and dialing the fuel tables. It has always ran rich at low boost/low rpm and I just drove around like that for years and it didn't really bother me considering how little I was driving it

Now, I'm driving about 10 miles a day in it and adjusting the 10% section(which is roughly .5-1.5psi area) every few days.

Full boost/throttle is good at about 11.8 and the low rpm/low boost is still rich at around 10.8, but I'm changing the the injector pulse 1-2ms at a time; it's not an ideal way to tune, but it works.

Spending is just under 2k. Chinese parts work fine; I've built 2 other turbo kits from ebay parts and never had a problem. One on a 2001 kia sephia running MS and the other on a 93 wrangler only running a rrfpr(the wrangler took me 2 days for a full build. It felt pretty good)

Squeezed out like as HP wise? I was at 295whp 335tq pre-timing adjustment so I would assume I'm closer to 310whp at around 6psi at full boost. So 75whp for 2k is pretty much non-existent in the Z world

I've driven the car about 6k miles with the turbo. Most of it is harder driving vs highway miles with no boost. So, I think as far as "wear and tear" on that turbo I believe it would "feel" like is has had more miles.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:40 AM
iideadeyeii

Ok, car needs a clutch. Buying a $61 clutch off eBay. I just am unsure which stage to purchase. Looking at a stage 2
My power rating is roughly this
~310 Hp Wheel 340 Tq
~375 Hp Crank 410 Tq

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 04-11-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:42 AM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

I think the JWT clutch Package would handle that nicely.......

Ok, car needs a clutch. Buying a $61 clutch off eBay. I just am unsure which stage to purchase. Looking at a stage 2
My power rating is roughly this
~310 Hp Wheel 340 Tq
~375 Hp Crank 410 Tq
Old 04-19-2019, 09:28 AM
iideadeyeii

I only do eBay parts! You should know me! Especially for a car only worth ~6k MAX with the turbo(which I'd gladly sell for that price).
I am unsure if the car has a stock clutch, but I'm assuming it does.
I think I'm just going to order the stage 2 and just knock it out after work one of these nights. Should only be like a 3-4 hour job. Will update in a month or so!
Old 04-19-2019, 10:54 AM
iideadeyeii

Just bought this ebay stage 2 clutch kit. $57 shipped. Can't beat that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUTCHMAX-S....c100005.m1851
Old 11-30-2020, 08:19 AM
iideadeyeii

Been very busy over the past 2 years working on my house, but

After 1 Year and 7 months I finally installed the $57 ebay clutch. Definitely not a stage 2 clutch. The disk itself is an organic replacement(per part code) and the pressure plate looks factory also, but it was painted white(code on pressure plate didn't come up in google)

Tried a pull in 3rd and 4th gear from around 60-80 and not getting a slip. Very very slight chatter, but the oem flywheel was not swapped or machined

Clutch itself only took about 4 hrs to install and 1 hour of that time was jacking the car up high enough on gravel and walking back and forth to my shed for various tools/extensions/swivels.
Also fixed 2 exhaust leaks while I was down there.

My u-joins on the shaft are going, so I will be replacing those soon.
I plan to do a little more tuning in low rpm(runs rich at 1-2psi as low rpms 10afr) under 3k

bealljk (11-30-2020)

Quick Reply: BUDGET Turbo Project- Started