Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech/stock block let go...so *knock on wood, reliable build thread ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Colombo

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

i will be keeping a close eye as i too will be revamping the blower at the same time. in a few minutes i am going to post something about what vortech told me about 928m should be very interesting to some of you. also i thought the 928m impeller could only work with the S trim? am i wrong here. anyways check out this next post from my emails to vortech and 928m

Originally Posted by Triji
Here you go, here is a link to my build thread: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...y-dynosty.html

I have a V2 SC trim blower that I am sending off to 928 and getting the impeller as well as the full rebuild with new bearings and seals. I figure now is a good time to have the internals gone over so it's good to go with the new block.

On the cams, personally I think the 272's would be too much and would give you a rough and lopey idle but I am NOT an engine builder so I defer to those that know more on the subject than I... You can put a .338 Lapua in my hands tell me to break it down, put it back together and take out the guy on the next mountain and I can get the job done but when it comes to engines I take more advice than I give out.

I'll find out where they are in the breakdown and if it is possible for them to ship the SSV directly from there and PM you when I have more info.

GL on your build!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:56 PM
bmyles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of headers are you looking at getting? I would think that since you're going for 500whp, you might want to get some long tubes? They would definitely compliment some aggressive cams.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Colombo

ok some background i contacted 928m about having my vortech revamped and install the impeller and bearings. i had to contact vortech themselves to find out what trim my V2 blower was. (turned out to be a SC)... this is what vortech told me. READ EMAIL FROM BOTTOM TO TOP BEING LAST EMAIL SENT

Ok.. well a H/D blower would be better suited for what your doing.. but let me talk to my engineering guys and see what they think

Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 1:07 PM
To:
Subject: Re: 350z vortech trim

I'm running a much larger intercooler 600cc injectors and uprev tuning is there any upgrade to not over spin the blower I know your feelings on 928m but they claim they have an upgraded bearing and seal kit. Would it be safe to run the si trim?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2013, at 3:42 PM, @vortechsuperchargers.com> wrote:

Ok so right now you are over spinning the unit, your impeller speed is 56653.1 so switching to the Si will help boost wise but its not good for your bearings. Im gonna say you would probably be in the 14 psi range.. which unless you are running a custom cooler already the cooler will start to be a restriction.
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 12:21 PM
To:

11-12 max at around 7000 goes over 10 for the last maybe 900rpm

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2013, at 3:13 PM, wrote:

What are you making boost wise right now with the 2.87 and What rpm are you shifting at? And that changes everything since the pulley has already been changed..

Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 12:10 PM
To:

Right now I'm on stock blower w 2.87 so if I swapped to the si trim w the 2.87 could I expect boost in the 13-17 range? And that's a great deal can the blower w si trim and 2.87 handle spinning that fast without any issue? Still trying to understand it all but if I can get same results as I've seen w 928 (increase of a few pounds) so for around 720 plus the price of me shipping out blower I can have the si trim volute and impeller and a rebuilt blower?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2013, at 2:59 PM, > wrote:

In most applications just changing the impeller will give about a 2 psi increase, that’s what most people that have done the upgrade from the S to Si trim have reported. It also gives you the ability to make more boost if you wanted too.. let me give you an example of the differences, the unit you have right now is the sc trim, which if it were brand new it would be the Sci impeller. This impeller is also the same impeller we used in our 86-93 mustang entry level kit

Current version impellers
Sci impeller 3.33 pulley6” crank 5-6psi our of the box on the 5.0 mustang

Si impeller same 3.33 pulley 7” crank 8-10 psi out of the box on the 5.0 mustang

You can achieve the same result by spinning the SC faster but you have to work the blower harder to get there.

So to answer your question as to how much boost increase it really comes down to how fast your turning the blower, but I would say at a minimum your going to get about a 2 psi increase, it does not include replacing the bearings and seals if you would like to have the bearings and seals replaced that cost is separate and runs $390.95.

Turn around time right now is averaging about 2 weeks and all you would need to do to send it to us is give me your serial number on your blower and phone number and return shipping address.

Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 11:34 AM
To:

How much boost increase can be expected with the si trim upgrade also does that include replacing seals and bearings if not what would it cost to have it all done? Do you guys offer the service? Like i ship blower to u and u guys install all new seals/bearings si trim. Just built my block and top end and want a little more out of the blower I had read lots of info on the 928m w good Dyno results but I will take your advice what is also the turn around time on me sending blower then getting it back very interested

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2013, at 11:42 AM, > wrote:

John,

The unit you have is an SC trim. I do not know if you can upgrade it through 928 motorsports, we do not recommend using any other parts that are not designed for the unit by us. 928 MOTORSPORTS IS NOT AN AUTHORIZED PARTS MANUFACTURE FOR OUR UNIT. We did not do any development or testing with the impeller they claim is better then what we have, although they did basically take our impeller and copy it, which makes no sense as to how its better when they are just copying the larger version of the impeller shown in their picture. Any particular reason as to why you want to use theirs instead of sending it to us and just upgrading to the Si trim? Below is a picture of 928’s advertisement from their website, this claim is ridiculous, what they don’t tell anyone about this picture is that the blades of the Sc were cut down on the ends to prevent the unit from making certain amounts of boost on a stock motor was not capable of handling it in a safe manor with the tune we provided for particular vehicles. What they are trying to sell people on is that the impeller they are making is “BETTER” yet it is similar to our old S trim impeller, which we no longer make. Notice how the blades on their impeller goes all the way the end instead of stopping ½” short, well that is the difference between the old S trim and the OLD SC trim impeller. We have since made technological advances in impeller design and the S/SC impeller do not even exist anymore. If they had an idea as to what actual causes were they would know that its not the impeller speed that causes impeller damage. Its overspinning the bearing and too small of a by pass valve for the amount of boost that causes impeller damage. The Veins maybe be designed to operate at that 60,000 rpm but do they have data to prove it? I would honestly say your decision to make on going through with it or not but I have had many people who have done this and damaged their units. In fact just had a guy two days ago who had them rebuild it because of a leak on his unit and two returns to them later and it still leaks.. their answer for him was “we don’t know why it leaks, sorry”. So again all I can suggest is proceed with caution should you go that route. If you like we do offer the upgrade to the Si impeller and volute. It is 329.00 for a satin unit and 392.00 for a polished unit.

<image001.png>

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:10 PM
To:
Subject: 350z vortech trim

hello my serial number on my blower is serial # 36785 i need to know what trim i have to determine if i can upgrade to the 928m impeller. thanks for any information you may be able to help me with.

Last edited by Colombo; 03-12-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Colombo

well i sent this email to the 928m rep because i know they have a good reputation for there stuff to see what he thought and this was his reply..

Wow, there is some very bad information there.

And we are a dealer for them - that isn't' cool.

I had no idea they were talking about us like that.

Carl

Carl Fausett
Member SAE
www.928Motorsports.com and
www.SuperchargerUpgrades.com

"Like" us on Facebook to get instant product updates and 928 race reports!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/928-Mo...02377033156459
Old 03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Colombo

also never replied about the 272s i decided against the c8s and went with the c2s does anyone know the answer will the 928m fit the SC trim? the email from carl says only fits S trim

On Feb 28, 2013, at 2:03 PM, "Info" <info@928motorsports.com> wrote:

I understand it is a V2. Is it an "S" trim unit?

To have us rebuild it would be $ 426
http://www.928motorsports.com/servic...ch_rebuild.php

To ship the 4 bearings and two seals to you would be: $ 262
http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...ebuild_kit.php

Our impeller upgrade is only applicable to the S trim units, and they are $ 576
http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...h_impeller.php

Carl

Carl Fausett
Member SAE
www.928Motorsports.com and
www.SuperchargerUpgrades.com

"Like" us on Facebook to get instant product updates and 928 race reports!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/928-Mo...02377033156459
Old 03-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Colombo

oh AAAAAANDDDD i ordered the IPP stage 2 long block w c2 cams and 8:8 comp incase i ever do something crazy down the road. as well as the JWT clutch and flywheel
Old 03-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by bmyles
What kind of headers are you looking at getting? I would think that since you're going for 500whp, you might want to get some long tubes? They would definitely compliment some aggressive cams.
still havent decided on these yet. possibly looking for a used set. long tubes would be nice but i bought test pipes not long ago so i may just run reg headers.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Triji

On the top of this page read... It says it DOES work n the SC trim... I have called and talked to Carl once on the phone he had to look at the page and said... Oh yeah, I guess it does. I will call him again to verfy before sending my unit there... LINK: http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...h_impeller.php

Originally Posted by Colombo
also never replied about the 272s i decided against the c8s and went with the c2s does anyone know the answer will the 928m fit the SC trim? the email from carl says only fits S trim
Old 03-01-2013, 04:52 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Colombo Dump the test pipes buy the PPE LTs that will go PERFECT with a nice set of cams
Old 03-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by Triji
On the top of this page read... It says it DOES work n the SC trim... I have called and talked to Carl once on the phone he had to look at the page and said... Oh yeah, I guess it does. I will call him again to verfy before sending my unit there... LINK: http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...h_impeller.php
saw this aswell after i posted. i asked him in my last email if it would work with the SC so ill post here what he says but im pretty sure ive seen ppl w sc trims running that impeller.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
Colombo Dump the test pipes buy the PPE LTs that will go PERFECT with a nice set of cams
ive seen em i im sure it would net great gains. but not sure i can fund it the price on these headers alone is the cost of the vortech being rebuilt and upgrading the impeller on the blower. i may have to sacrifice those headers for a set of shortys and just do the charger upgrade. but we will see
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Colombo

triji i may have misinterpreted what he said in the email when he said it would only work on s trim blowers that he ment both S trims like s and SC.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My blower is a v2 SC trim...and my 928 impeller works just fine...

I think the fitment issues started showing up with some of the v3 blowers...
Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by 350z006
My blower is a v2 SC trim...and my 928 impeller works just fine...

I think the fitment issues started showing up with some of the v3 blowers...
thanks for the clarification! what size pulley are you running? and how much boost?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:04 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks for the clarification! what size pulley are you running? and how much boost?
2.75 pulley (from 928), 34/30 cogs, Fluidampr crank pulley (6.125" inside diameter) ~17psi boost

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...g-results.html

2.75 pulley, 34/28 cogs, Fluidampr, ~21psi boost

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...p-vortech.html

Last edited by 350z006; 03-02-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Colombo

Originally Posted by 350z006
2.75 pulley (from 928), 34/30 cogs, Fluidampr crank pulley (6.125" inside diameter) ~17psi boost

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...g-results.html

2.75 pulley, 34/28 cogs, Fluidampr, ~21psi boost

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...p-vortech.html
:-O now i remember that user name. your that guy, that guy making way to much power with a vortech nasty with it.

side note. thoughts on running the pathfinder mod even though IPP will be doing and does the HR head gasket mod on all their blocks? i do track the car very hard and temps are always a concern. though even after 20 min sessions at the firm my temps w the previous setup w just water wetter in stock radiator on stock block saw no crazy rise in temps.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:08 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its one more place for a leak. gtr's dont have that, and they have far exceeded any VQ metrics
Old 03-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by str8dum1
its one more place for a leak. gtr's dont have that, and they have far exceeded any VQ metrics
Agreed
Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 AM
ehaalandtluk

oh AAAAAANDDDD i ordered the IPP stage 2 long block w c2 cams and 8:8 comp incase i ever do something crazy down the road. as well as the JWT clutch and flywheel
Haha, "oh by the way I poop money and barf gold"

Congrats, I decided to buy another fast car

Watching this thread because the original premise of a reliable stock block with FI is my goal for the Z.

Doesn't seem like too many people are having success though.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Colombo

Originally Posted by ehaalandtluk
Haha, "oh by the way I poop money and barf gold"

Congrats, I decided to buy another fast car

Watching this thread because the original premise of a reliable stock block with FI is my goal for the Z.

Doesn't seem like too many people are having success though.

Quick Reply: vortech/stock block let go...so *knock on wood, reliable build thread ;-)