Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Questioms about Turbo build (already searched, thanks guys)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 AM
charlesp2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Questioms about Turbo build (already searched, thanks guys)

Hello guys,

I have read a lot on the forums so please bare with me: Here is my turbo conversion project's goals:

I currently own a 2004 blue 350z, manual, in perfection conditions, just bolt on mods.. I am not new to FI and I have custom turboued a Tiburon in the past with a custom turbo 440cc injectors, etc.

I'm thinking about buying a SECOND 350z, the cheapest I can find locally, after doing a compression test, and testing that the car is not a lemon...

I want to turbo this second car with a low boost setting, say 6-7 psi, with all the supporting mods. I have made a list of the mods I believe i need in order to hold that amount of power without bending a rod, etc..

Please take a look at my list along with some average prices and PLEASE, I really appreciate if some of you can give me your thoughts on this list:

Precision Turbo 60-1 1000
550cc Injectors 500? RC Injectors? Which will fit?
FPR 120 (locally)
Fuel pump 255 walbro 90 (?)
AEM UEGO 150
AEM TruBoost 350 (EBC for 5-7 psi.. maybe just axe this and use WG spring pressure at 7 psi?)
Osiris Pro 700 **OR** AEM FIC? **
Piping 300 can be done locally in a shop in El Salvador, worked before.
Large Ebay FMIC 150 ?
Mechanic work 350 (that's what he will charge me, worked with him before)
Random Stuff 250 (oil pan tapping, fittings, hoses, etc)...
BOV HKS SVQ3 0 (already own one)
-------------------------------
Approximate TOTAL 3,610. (without AEM TruBoost, just using 7 psi spring..)

Does this parts list seem OK for 7 psi? Or would you guys throw in a head gasket, etc?

Please let me know what you all think of this , down here in El Salvador we have some really skilled shops who could do the piping, and my mech is good enough to give me a RICH tune first and then start dropping the AFR into the 12's...

What do you guys think, please let me know your honest thoughts, flaming welcome as long as you specify why you are flaming, please.

Thank you!!! All comments & crits welcome.

Last edited by charlesp2; 05-27-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:07 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you did not search enough, why on earth you would go to a aem fic i have no idea when so many options are available, precision makes a 60-1? they dont classify there turbos like that but if you intend for one of there basic turbos they have stuff like the 6152 mfs and bigger for $850 but dont expect spool and performance like the cea turbos. alot still missing, you dont have a wastegate on there, oil catch can? fittings and lines will be alot more then 250, trust me i know with all the stainless i have on my car, and push lok isnt any cheaper but definitely recommend it vs stainless for ease of use. wheels and tires to handle boost? stock sizes wont work, the ebay intercoolers also work but expect a good amount more pressure drop and less efficiency. t bolt clamps, silicone, gaskets, oil pan spacer(you could i guess just tap into the lower pan but def not a good idea.) oil temp? flanges? more im missing because ive been drinking and trying to fall asleep.

your idea is more reasonable then some of the crap that has popped up here in recent times but your still quite a bit short. double it is a fair expectation and thats if you go with cheap wheels and tires, then factor in shipping if you cant get it locally imagine its crazy to ship there, i know shipping added about 2k to my build to ship to hawaii if not more and thats going with the cheapest possible options.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:27 AM
charlesp2

Hello Jerry,

Thanks for your wise advise. Question: What about running the same boost on the stock wheels? I know wheelspin can be fun, or the car just won't handle on a straight line?

Could you please give me a link to the "CEA Turbos", I really dont know where to look, thanks.

OK, so Ebay intercoolers suck, which one would you recommend?

And which piggyback tuner would you suggest? Osiris Pro ($700, expensive) or the UTEC? Or is the UTEC discontinued now? Basically I want a realible tune that is able to adjust injector pulse length...

Please reply. Thank you very much for your help

Originally Posted by jerryd87
you did not search enough, why on earth you would go to a aem fic i have no idea when so many options are available, precision makes a 60-1? they dont classify there turbos like that but if you intend for one of there basic turbos they have stuff like the 6152 mfs and bigger for $850 but dont expect spool and performance like the cea turbos. alot still missing, you dont have a wastegate on there, oil catch can? fittings and lines will be alot more then 250, trust me i know with all the stainless i have on my car, and push lok isnt any cheaper but definitely recommend it vs stainless for ease of use. wheels and tires to handle boost? stock sizes wont work, the ebay intercoolers also work but expect a good amount more pressure drop and less efficiency. t bolt clamps, silicone, gaskets, oil pan spacer(you could i guess just tap into the lower pan but def not a good idea.) oil temp? flanges? more im missing because ive been drinking and trying to fall asleep.

your idea is more reasonable then some of the crap that has popped up here in recent times but your still quite a bit short. double it is a fair expectation and thats if you go with cheap wheels and tires, then factor in shipping if you cant get it locally imagine its crazy to ship there, i know shipping added about 2k to my build to ship to hawaii if not more and thats going with the cheapest possible options.

Last edited by charlesp2; 05-27-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:18 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you just trying to save money? Just buy a used kit already that comes with most of what you need in terms of the "turbo kit"(Turbo, piping, injectors, fuel pump, fmic etc) You will have less headaches. Still need clutch and flywheel as well.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that you would save money buying a kit.

I didn't know precision still made those 60-1 turbos. I thought they discontinued them a long time ago. Look for a 6266 or something in that range for this car or purchase a kit you can install with no custom work that includes a nice turbo.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:37 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Street...-CEA%C2%AE/479

http://www.tialsport.com/index.php/t...tegates/39-mvr

http://www.tialsport.com/index.php/t...ovs/46-tialbvq

http://www.icevex.com/products_40m.html
Old 05-27-2013, 01:18 PM
sradenton

I would recommend going a vortec supercharger route with the amount of money and your power goals instead of turbo. A good turbo setup adds up real quick. Just my 2cents.

Last edited by sradenton; 05-27-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

cea is there billet turbos they are in the street and race section of precisions site, there entry level turbos are in entry level section and are mfs wheels.
Originally Posted by charlesp2
Hello Jerry,

Thanks for your wise advise. Question: What about running the same boost on the stock wheels? I know wheelspin can be fun, or the car just won't handle on a straight line?

Could you please give me a link to the "CEA Turbos", I really dont know where to look, thanks.

OK, so Ebay intercoolers suck, which one would you recommend?

And which piggyback tuner would you suggest? Osiris Pro ($700, expensive) or the UTEC? Or is the UTEC discontinued now? Basically I want a realible tune that is able to adjust injector pulse length...

Please reply. Thank you very much for your help
Old 05-27-2013, 04:07 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

^^ I posted the link to the 6266 CEA Jerry.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

A bolt on vortech or the such is a good alternative.

If you do want a cheap Ebay intercooler, lmk. I have a large 4 inch core one and Im selling it right now anyway, PM me if youre interested. Its not going to be a really nice inter-cooler but for 6 to 8psi it will be great. Ebay FMICs dont suck as bad as people make them out to be. Theyre not a spearco or a treadstone but theyre not terrible.
If you want to get nice parts that will last, make power, and not kill your bank compared to HKS greddy garrett cores etc, look for vibrant or treadstone parts. Either or are great. Vibrant has things treadstone doesn't visa versa, and some things they both carry. IMHO they're basically the same quality/price.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

IceVex is a decent option as well. I believe it's the same intercooler core used in the PowerLab kit IIRC. All three of these intercoolers are comparable.

IceVex
Core size: 24" × 12" × 4"
1200 CFM
$360

http://www.icevex.com/products_40m.html

Vibrant
Core size: 27" × 12" × 3.5"
1200 CFM
$447.95

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=960

Treadstone
Core size: 22" × 12.5" × 3.5"