Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech V2 TI Trim vs Twin Turbo

Old 02-20-2017, 05:48 AM
wizard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vortech V2 TI Trim vs Twin Turbo

Hi All,

From the UK ('03 RHD 350z) - Been on here a long while.

Looking to rebuild a blown stock motor (actually my third!). Currently have a V3 with an Si Impeller (str8dum1 old kit).

Weighing up upgrading either the blower (or whole kit) to a V2 TI trim, or selling up my kit and going full Twin Turbo.

Any input into guys who have switched from supercharge to Twin Turbo? Which turbo kits do zed guys recommend nowadays.

Goal is to get over 650rwhp - I've seen that colombo's done well with his build.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

I did the vortech to greddy TT swap....havent looked back. Albeit i drive the car less now since it is not DD.

MeanZ did the swap..he regrets it. He misses his vortech.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 AM
wizard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah - Would love to hear MeanZ's thoughts. Is there a way you can tag people on a forum... or is there a thread you can point me to.

Anyone else have any experience with doing this transition?
Old 02-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

pm him
The following users liked this post:
wizard (02-20-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm a procharger guy not by choice but, TT just seem like a huge pain in the @$$ to get to fit correctly. If your serious about power get a ysi and don't look back.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:20 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

455whp with a modified ATI Procharger, nothing against them - thought the kit was plenty-of-good but it couldnt optimize my stage 3 IPP block...went twins, have had some issues (mostly due to my ignorance) but I knew that going in - wanted nothing short of an learning-experience, I wanted to be the owner of my creation and want to know everything about it when I done (which is probably never)...

If I had it all over again I'd have skipped the supercharger and gone straight to turbo. As I look back today a mid-mount single turbo would have been the wiser decision. Based on ease of installation/trouble-shooting, I think the mid-mounts have a higher quality components (such as headers, blowers, wastegates compared to the greddy twin 18g kit).

but, regret is for the rear-view mirror ... another day, another dollar, another experience...
The following users liked this post:
4SHIZZIL (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 06:24 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
If I had it all over again I'd have skipped the supercharger and gone straight to turbo. As I look back today a mid-mount single turbo would have been the wiser decision. Based on ease of installation/trouble-shooting, I think the mid-mounts have a higher quality components (such as headers, blowers, wastegates compared to the greddy twin 18g kit).

I agree, however they were not available at the time of my build. If I build again, I will have some mix of both.

I still love my SC because so many Turbo folks down play them and don't respect what you can do with them. Its really hard to make big power and they are really thirsty. I maxed out 1000cc injectors at around 26psi.

As far as power delivery I love the consistency of the Centrifugal Blowers. Its all preference. Turbos with less power feel faster with your butt dyno, but again... its your preference.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:26 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I just like the lack of dicking around with belts, timrod's, trivial to up boost, stuff like that. If superchargers made more power easily or had something in particular of huge benefit over turbo's then I'd go with an SC.

But been turbo (Greddy, APS, GTM, and now going on CJM with their custom manifolds) so I may be a bit biased. It's just stupid easy to make huge power with twin's, especially with E85, dear god it's glorious

I only see the SC pro's as lack of needing more involved headers piping wise, and price. But then again if your not already E fuel, you may want to try that on your SC setup to see if you can find a 7th gear out of it. I was about to consider LS swapping + turbo but then tried E and never looked back at the swap idea due to the huge gains with E and ability to run gobs more boost on 'pump gas', don't need the extra liters anymore haha.

Last edited by Juztin; 02-27-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:08 PM
SAMzG35

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a vortech V3 and now running greddy TT. No regrets whatsoever. Only regret is not doing it sooner. Vortech made 416whp 335wtq on uprev motor. TT now making 461whp & 445wtq.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:16 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

I Love my SC and make 18psi all day long, that said their are trade-offs to either one....

"STAY TUNED FOR MY NEW RECORD COMING SOON"
It will be the first time out with the new twin carbon ats clutch and straight C16

I should note I've had the car at the strip 2 times this season, but broke drivers side axle due to very bad wheel bearing.....

Last edited by OldManZ350; 02-27-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:00 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
I still love my SC because so many Turbo folks down play them and don't respect what you can do with them.
for the record - I respect them and appreciate them.

Originally Posted by Juztin
I just like the lack of dicking around with belts, timrod's, trivial to up boost, stuff like that. If superchargers made more power easily or had something in particular of huge benefit over turbo's then I'd go with an SC.
It's six of one half dozen of the other ... trade belts for oil lines, vac lines, and excess heat - either way take the good with the bad. Maybe I'm getting older but I appreciate the both...

Originally Posted by Juztin
It's just stupid easy to make huge power with twin's, especially with E85, dear god it's glorious
mine hasnt been stupid but I've had some fall-downs along the way! But - it's all good.

Do you have a build thread for your E85? A buddy wont stop bothering me about going E85 versus a 91 weekend whip, 101 hard throttl'ing octane.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:56 AM
2bad240

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I work on a lot of both setups and own both, the TT is a lot more work to install and initially setup but short of blowing a turbo it's virtually maintaince free as you have to stay on top of belt tension with the SC. But the supercharger can be installed and taken off in a hour vs pulling the engine for TT. Both can make excellent power and i have tuned both setups in the 20-25psi range and the SC will definitely need more fuel.

I guess it really would depend on what kind of power delivery you want. The TT will spool faster and have more mid range power than the SC which will be linear and have a lot of top end pull.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:51 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bad240
The TT will spool faster and have more mid range power than the SC which will be linear and have a lot of top end pull.

I loved the top end walking down cars that pulled a car or two. That's the rush I loved.

Plus one.

This is probably the best way to describe things.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
Do you have a build thread for your E85? A buddy wont stop bothering me about going E85 versus a 91 weekend whip, 101 hard throttl'ing octane.
Yep - https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...ct-hitomi.html

Cliff notes for E85, was same boost basically between E85 & 91 was a 70hp/160 tq gain for E. We upped the boost recently and hit 717 with it in the cold weather as the turbo's are able to make more boost, summer will probably be back down to mid 600's as the turbo's just wont be able to make the same boost.

Car just started to develop a lifter tick unfortunately, so time to pull the motor soon to fix and I'm thinking hard about just redoing the internals to go 11:1 and tougher rods than Eagle's as it's full time E85 car. Also going to go GTX3076R Gen II's as we've reached the limit of the GT28RS's a long while ago.

Last edited by Juztin; 02-28-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Search this Thread