Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another Daily Driven Vortech Build

Old 06-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Stock fuel pressure is 52psi.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:08 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Welp, I confirmed I have ignition with all 6 coils with a multimeter, all spark plugs are in good condition and not fouled. All injectors are firing, fuel pressure is good. MAF is cleaned, throttle body is cleaned.

Drove around for 10 minutes with the cog belt off the supercharger and the car still had reduced power and rough performance. Then my CEL light came on again with P1065 (ECM power supply heater). Checked all my fuses and none are blown. Really hoping this is not the case. Could quite possibly mean my ECU is on the way out.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:49 AM
BluestreamDE

Update: I drained the power from the ECU overnight by disconnecting the battery. Started it up and still the same lean condition and occasional misfiring.

My conclusion is that it is a fueling issue, even though they are all firing, they could be clogged since E85 gums up with water contamination, and the car has been on E85 for over 9 months in lots of stop and go traffic and short trips, which can build up the gumming overtime.

So the plan is to sent them off to be cleaned by Fuel Injector Clinic, as well as changing out my Fuel pump filter just in case.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:13 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Could quite possibly mean my ECU is on the way out.
blessing in disguise!! Time to go standalone!!!!!!!!

Can you go and get a quick re-fresh on your tune?
Old 06-21-2018, 07:21 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by bealljk
blessing in disguise!! Time to go standalone!!!!!!!!

Can you go and get a quick re-fresh on your tune?

I would love that actually, I wish I could afford a Haltech Stand alone with the IQ3 and Flex Fuel Sensor. That will come later on eventually (hopefully not to long). So I will just have to work with UpRev till then.

I definitely can try to reflash the ECU with the same tune. Didn't think about doing this because my assessment of the issues I am having did not point in the direction of the ECU until the CEL came up. Ill try that later.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:39 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Good luck Bluestream getting this this issue solved once and for all!
Old 06-21-2018, 08:44 AM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

I believe it was a self-proclaimed wise man by the name of snoop froggy dog that once said "if it an't one thing it's a mother ****ing other". Yes, word to your daddy and your granny and your mother.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 11:47 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Good luck Bluestream getting this this issue solved once and for all!

Thanks brother, sucks not being able to drive it. I'm sure after installing the freshly cleaned and rebuilt injectors ill be ok again. Just hoping this P1065 doesn't come back...

Originally Posted by onevq35de
I believe it was a self-proclaimed wise man by the name of snoop froggy dog that once said "if it an't one thing it's a mother ****ing other". Yes, word to your daddy and your granny and your mother.

Murphy's Law. Such is life.

Bealljk"s favorite quote: "The Journey is the Reward!"
Old 06-21-2018, 11:58 AM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Yeah, life is a string of problems but not letting them bring ya down is key which you seem to do well BSDE.
The haltech fix sounds a little excessive price wise. Can't use a same-year ecu from a bone yard or a remaned unit? If it is the ecu, I'd go the "get the problem fixed" route and toss that $ into something else.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:44 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

"The Journey is the Reward!"
what about Offspring's Self Esteem

'The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care'
-Dexter

I'm happy that A. I was able to prep the car and all the necessary things to run the pikes peak airstrip attack B. I was able to drive the car on and off the trailer after the event but GD'it I was pretty bummed that I had a few hiccups running the car and the idle issues on Sunday. Aside from a trickle charger, I haven't touched the car since Sunday...I'm just gonna start pulling sensors off and testing and possibly replacing stuff...its such a mind-fnck...

Last edited by bealljk; 06-22-2018 at 03:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
BluestreamDE (06-22-2018), jhc (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:45 AM
0taku

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

I would love that actually, I wish I could afford a Haltech Stand alone with the IQ3 and Flex Fuel Sensor. That will come later on eventually (hopefully not to long). So I will just have to work with UpRev till then.

Have you considered the cheaper option of the Link G4+?

It’s convenient that you can wire all sorts of options like the flex fuel. The canbus and factory mounting let alone the price makes it worth it.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:30 PM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by 0taku

Have you considered the cheaper option of the Link G4+?

It’s convenient that you can wire all sorts of options like the flex fuel. The canbus and factory mounting let alone the price makes it worth it.

Hey there. I will look at their site later and do some research on their products, I just figured that Haltech is already a proven product in the aftermarket community as an ECU solution, so this is what swayed my decision, Albeit its going to be a good while till I pull the trigger on a stand alone...

Pulled my Injectors out today and sent them off for rebuild, didn't see and visual indications of clogging. Might be internal buildup of the gumming of the water contaminated e85.

Gonna pull out the fuel pump tomorrow and check the filter just to see how it looks like. I will most likely wait till the Twin Pump is back out for sale from CJM to prevent doing doublework. Then research on wiring up a Hobbs Switch to activate the 2nd pump under boost.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:45 PM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Gonna pull out the fuel pump tomorrow and check the filter just to see how it looks like. I will most likely wait till the Twin Pump is back out for sale from CJM to prevent doing doublework. Then research on wiring up a Hobbs Switch to activate the 2nd pump under boost.
I'm curious to see what to do with a Hobbs switch. When I installed my CJM twin pumps I wired the secondary pump to a Hobbs switch in my vacuum block by my map sensor. Long story short, I tried two different new Hobbs switches and neither worked to trigger my secondary pump. So I just wired it to a on/off switch and just turn it on before I make pulls. I think this week, I'm going to wire it into my ProEFI and set it up to come on at 4psi or more.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:25 AM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Update on the fan and radiator: For the past few days, I've seen normal operating Temps from 177 to 185, On full stops on the lights, the highest I've seen is 195. Upon driving again it quickly decreases and after approx a minute I'm down to 183-185 and continues decreasing as the car is moving at speed. Overall I'm happy about this combo in terms of cooling compared to the oem setup.
This is interesting. I'm in Denver (I know James is too) and up here one of the issues is the fact that for a given velocity through the radiator, we have about 18% less mass flow into which we can transfer heat than at Sea level. I picked up a Koyo hyper V cross flow radiator to help things, but the mishi shroud doesn't fit it.i had thought about laying up a CF shroud, but if I can just fix my Spals right to it, that would be great. My concern was that the shroud does pull flow through the whole core, even if the cross sectional area is limited to the area of the fans. But with no shroud, the area of most heat transfer is limited in the core itself to the area of the fans. If it works, so be it. Makes my job easier.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:19 PM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by kilogram
This is interesting. I'm in Denver (I know James is too) and up here one of the issues is the fact that for a given velocity through the radiator, we have about 18% less mass flow into which we can transfer heat than at Sea level. I picked up a Koyo hyper V cross flow radiator to help things, but the mishi shroud doesn't fit it.i had thought about laying up a CF shroud, but if I can just fix my Spals right to it, that would be great. My concern was that the shroud does pull flow through the whole core, even if the cross sectional area is limited to the area of the fans. But with no shroud, the area of most heat transfer is limited in the core itself to the area of the fans. If it works, so be it. Makes my job easier.
Yea, me returning the mishi shroud for the 16" spal was definitely worth it as it cools just as well if not better than OEM, gives more clearance in between the engine and frint end, and plus it shaves weight in the front of the vehicle. I did have to trim some of it to fit flush to my radiator surface with ties. You may not have to on your Koyo, my radiator is an off brand but does the job way better than the thin half plastic oem one.

Injectors have been cleaned and flowmatched, waiting on them to be sent to my house, definitely hoping they were the issue.

I'm also not going to post much about the car since I'm out of state for a month doing some good Ole Army training in Oklahoma. Once I'm back I'll make an update when I make some progress.
BigBlue (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 12:26 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by kilogram
I'm in Denver (I know James is too)
as is DKMura, JDM-V35, probably some others too -

They call it the 'Denver discount' - you make less money and pay higher (ok, not as high as LA, NYC, or London) real estate cost...but the real discount is on the dyno!

Its an issue for sure...it's significantly worse for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb Teams...everything from cooling, to engine/turbo compression, down force - you name it...

Last edited by bealljk; 06-29-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:45 PM
BluestreamDE

Smile

Package came in yesterday and I had my wife take a pick of the flow chart on my Denso 1600cc injectors i'm using.

The culprit was my 4th Injector being closed shut, one injector was spraying as low at 1478cc's @ 43.5 psi. Not sure how it happened. I'm thinking that I may have to use some sort of fuel system cleaner along with the pump e85 to help with the gumming residue of the ethanol and absorbed water. Starting to think dailying in the corn is more bad then good, but happy this was just a 200 dollar fix and not something else more expensive or complicated.

Thanks to Fuel Injector Clinic for the service.
BigBlue (07-02-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 09:45 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

damn man!

good to see things back on track! At $200, that's some good preventative maintenance as well - I might be putting this on my radar...
Old 07-02-2018, 04:42 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by bealljk
damn man!

good to see things back on track! At $200, that's some good preventative maintenance as well - I might be putting this on my radar...
Yea I'm happy. My nerves were on edge and I was pretty stressed out figuring out why I was having issues. I would definitely recommend Fuel Injector Clinic to anyone on the forum for their injector repair and maintenance needs.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:09 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Nice write up about this issue and congratulations on getting it solved; sounds like they did a great job with your injectors, just like new.

This process that you have gone through should turn out to be valuable info. to others here on the forum. I'll bet that you dropped to your knees and said a quick prayer haha!
BluestreamDE (07-02-2018)

Search this Thread