Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Single turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 03:11 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Old 04-21-2016, 05:25 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
Lmao!
Old 04-21-2016, 06:36 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

If you want a serious answer, you need to ask a serious question.

However, i have to disagree with mic on the subject of "turbo/super charging a stock block" it has more of how far you push the engine than anything.

I rather run mold boost, and make around 340whp on a stock block, than to build it NA and hit 400whp. Theres too much factor to determine if a stock block should or shouldnt be boosted.

My personal opinion is, go nuts, just have the funds require to replace the engine when it blows.

However, mic does have a point when he said too much planning goes into a build. And 9/10 times, all oem parts are replace with newer, better parts thats you lose pretty much all of the stock feeling. And the 350z is pretty nice stocked.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:10 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray8674
It's gunna be like 2-3 years before I even plan to turbo my z gotta get the money lol I have to admit I know next to nothing about cars and not very good with mechanical stuff but I'm trying my best to learn. And nah man I ain't lazy wtf lol
Your car will be happy to take all your money with or without a turbo. If you know next to nothing about cars why would you want to open up the big can of snails?

As cool as owning a fast car might be having a reliable one that gets you were you need to go is even cooler, and if your only car is the Z you might want to factor getting another daily driver into the price.
The following users liked this post:
WYZIWYG (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 07:13 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Your car will be happy to take all your money with or without a turbo. If you know next to nothing about cars why would you want to open up the big can of snails?

As cool as owning a fast car might be having a reliable one that gets you were you need to go is even cooler, and if your only car is the Z you might want to factor getting another daily driver into the price.
Idk dude. I look pretty swag out on the side of the road waiting for you to come pick me up.

Also its fun saying, i have xxxhp. Doesnt matter if the car starts or not, still fun to say it. Haha
Old 04-21-2016, 07:18 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by turboed350z
If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:27 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me?
I mean, if you like to be poked. Haha
Old 04-21-2016, 07:29 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Idk dude. I look pretty swag out on the side of the road waiting for you to come pick me up.

Also its fun saying, i have xxxhp. Doesnt matter if the car starts or not, still fun to say it. Haha
I towed a sweet miata the other day with extended studs and open ended lug nuts... I asked the owner why all his lug nuts where on backwards and he was like ..... I was like ummm the cone shape should go into your wheels... I thought I mas missing something because its not the first time I saw it...

Another good one the other day. Someone had put on wheels with a smaller hub than their cars hub... Somehow threaded the lug nuts on like barely and sent wifey to work like that, pulling into the parking lot the front wheel fell off... I walked around the car and looked at all the wheels like wtf. I thought they tried to space the wheels with washers or something until I put 2 and 2 together.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:48 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

However, i have to disagree with mic on the subject of "turbo/super charging a stock block" it has more of how far you push the engine than anything.

I rather run mold boost, and make around 340whp on a stock block, than to build it NA and hit 400whp. Theres too much factor to determine if a stock block should or shouldnt be boosted.

My personal opinion is, go nuts, just have the funds require to replace the engine when it blows.

However, mic does have a point when he said too much planning goes into a build. And 9/10 times, all oem parts are replace with newer, better parts thats you lose pretty much all of the stock feeling. And the 350z is pretty nice stocked.
Ahhh, we shall agree to disagree, T'bo. Laff...

But while we disagree philosophically, I think we're saying to OP the same thing.

Read what I writ:

"Engine, software, ancillaries.... all need to be re-worked TO DO IT RIGHT.

And therein lay the reason I don't really believe in aftermarket turbocharging a stock block. NOT saying it can't be done, not at all, there's lots of successful blown applications here. But to do it right takes a lot of planning, skills, and money to do it absolutely correct. Oh, and patience..... Heh heh."

The take-home wording here is "TO DO IT RIGHT".

What I didn't say was that there are many things that need to be taken into consideration whilst doing a turbo build. The biggest one: the CONDITION of the stock engine to start.

Low mileage or otherwise fastidiously maintained stock engine will take low boost just fine. But what happens if the motor has leakdown beyond tolerance, worn valve seals, rings, wonky oil pressure to handle the increased lubrication requirements? And more importantly, improper tune, undersized injectors, inadequate fuel pressure to accompany even modest boost pressure leading to severe lean out, those types of things.

Can you say D-E-T-O-N-A-T-I-O-N (or otherwise known as "piston toast") and not mention what this does to valvetrain components, gaskets that turn to mush?

Once all the prep/planning work (full analysis of the engine condition and planning for upgrading that which needs to be upgraded) is done, the OP or anyone attempting this will likely find that a nice motor refresh with "better"/more suitable parts BEFORE BOOSTING is the way to do it so as to avoid future labor (or labor charges) for a complete teardown to FIX something that broke.

Preventative/preemptive action up front is by far the more sane way of going about this. Again, just a warning to the OP on what to expect; echoing your comment about leaving $$ in reserve for a fix/rebuild.

All I'm saying here is there's a HUGE amount of planning required to do it right the first time to avoid one sitting on the side of the road displaying swagger...

...while waiting for Mike and his tow rig to give one a lift to the nearest garage.

I did NOT say "DON'T DO IT." I did say "DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL."

Cheers,

BTDTMic
Old 04-21-2016, 07:57 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

(applies more to my car than the Z, but still funny)
Old 04-21-2016, 08:11 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Ahhh, we shall agree to disagree, T'bo. Laff...

But while we disagree philosophically, I think we're saying to OP the same thing.

Read what I writ:

"Engine, software, ancillaries.... all need to be re-worked TO DO IT RIGHT.

And therein lay the reason I don't really believe in aftermarket turbocharging a stock block. NOT saying it can't be done, not at all, there's lots of successful blown applications here. But to do it right takes a lot of planning, skills, and money to do it absolutely correct. Oh, and patience..... Heh heh."

The take-home wording here is "TO DO IT RIGHT".

What I didn't say was that there are many things that need to be taken into consideration whilst doing a turbo build. The biggest one: the CONDITION of the stock engine to start.

Low mileage or otherwise fastidiously maintained stock engine will take low boost just fine. But what happens if the motor has leakdown beyond tolerance, worn valve seals, rings, wonky oil pressure to handle the increased lubrication requirements? And more importantly, improper tune, undersized injectors, inadequate fuel pressure to accompany even modest boost pressure leading to severe lean out, those types of things.

Can you say D-E-T-O-N-A-T-I-O-N (or otherwise known as "piston toast") and not mention what this does to valvetrain components, gaskets that turn to mush?

Once all the prep/planning work (full analysis of the engine condition and planning for upgrading that which needs to be upgraded) is done, the OP or anyone attempting this will likely find that a nice motor refresh with "better"/more suitable parts BEFORE BOOSTING is the way to do it so as to avoid future labor (or labor charges) for a complete teardown to FIX something that broke.

Preventative/preemptive action up front is by far the more sane way of going about this. Again, just a warning to the OP on what to expect; echoing your comment about leaving $$ in reserve for a fix/rebuild.

All I'm saying here is there's a HUGE amount of planning required to do it right the first time to avoid one sitting on the side of the road displaying swagger...

...while waiting for Mike and his tow rig to give one a lift to the nearest garage.

I did NOT say "DON'T DO IT." I did say "DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL."

Cheers,

BTDTMic

Thats the only way to do things. Do it right. Many skips everything else and just go straight to the snail and wonder why the need a new block 2 dyno run later.

Personally, and this is just me. I always know what power goal i want first. The i save up the budget required by 2.5. So lets say a build will cost 10k, i wont even change the air intake until i have 25k. Then i dive in head first. (Obviously after my research) and just knock it all out at once.

I hate slow builds. It sucks seeing your car on jack stand for years at a time while youre saving for the next part lol.

I did a slow build once... never again. Bought all the basic bolt ons, with intentions to boosts. Only later to find out, the exhaust i have isnt ideal with boost. The headers wont work. Gonna need a whole new set of injectors. The fuel pump is weak. And basically have to buy everything all over again.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:22 AM
dSpaceman

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

OP, take this from me because I'm around your age (21). The thought of going F/I has struck me as hard as anyone else on this forum but I never pursued it. Why? Simply because with my driving skills at the moment, I doubt I can even use more than 50% of the car's power. You see, it's not all about the horsepower to the wheels, there's a lot more to it than that. The way I see it, it's probably a lot more fun to drive a stock Z hard than it is to sit in a 600 whp Z and have no clue as to what to do with it.

So save your money (and potentially your life) by learning how to drive the car first. Just my $0.02
The following 2 users liked this post by dSpaceman:
MicVelo (04-21-2016), SmoothZ (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 11:26 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by dSpaceman
OP, take this from me because I'm around your age (21). The thought of going F/I has struck me as hard as anyone else on this forum but I never pursued it. Why? Simply because with my driving skills at the moment, I doubt I can even use more than 50% of the car's power. You see, it's not all about the horsepower to the wheels, there's a lot more to it than that. The way I see it, it's probably a lot more fun to drive a stock Z hard than it is to sit in a 600 whp Z and have no clue as to what to do with it.

So save your money (and potentially your life) by learning how to drive the car first. Just my $0.02
At least youre honest. Now by all means, my car isnt crazy fast or stypidly awesome, but i hear so many 16 year old kids telling me, that my csr is slow and its a joke that they can do way better.

To me, 400whp is the perfect balance for a street car. Many are so focus on power that wheb they get it, they wrap it around a tree.

Stock 350 are more than fast enough for alot of drivers. I dont see how many would want power they cant control.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:11 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by dSpaceman

We have a winner!

I have said this many times, partly because I've been there and done that. I love the NA Z, but I also like the feel of lots of HP. However, I have learned to drive the Z really well and have outdriven cars that have way more HP than me. Why? Training and more training. That's all.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Ray8674

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a legend
Old 04-22-2016, 08:48 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray8674
kind of a stupid question but what do people mean by build there motor
Replace the internals with stronger ones.

Seriously dude, I need to sell my car. If you want a setup that can hawl *** (provided you do a few "simple" jobs to finish her up), let me know.

But if you want to turbo your Z, you better be ready to do a lot of reading on here. OR pay a shop far away from you, a lot of money. Or my car... It's a supercharger now, but 600hp is plenty.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
We have a winner!

I have said this many times, partly because I've been there and done that. I love the NA Z, but I also like the feel of lots of HP. However, I have learned to drive the Z really well and have outdriven cars that have way more HP than me. Why? Training and more training. That's all.
Don't lie.

Tires and suspension go a looooooooooooooooooooooong way.
The following users liked this post:
SmoothZ (04-23-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 10:46 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 04-23-2016, 11:35 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Don't lie.

Tires and suspension go a looooooooooooooooooooooong way.
Exactly. I definitely have the wheels, tires, and suspension work. Nothing expensive or fancy, but just enough to make her competitive.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
Exactly. I definitely have the wheels, tires, and suspension work. Nothing expensive or fancy, but just enough to make her competitive.

It's ok you'd probably hot carl me on the track so, just giving you a hard time.

What rubber do you run? Square setup?

Quick Reply: Single turbo question