Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

1000th Vortech build etc. Looking for the bottlenecks

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Logiqal

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

^Did you perform a throttle relearn with the old one?
Old 03-17-2017, 02:22 PM
0taku

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Logiqal
^Did you perform a throttle relearn with the old one?
A long while ago yes.

This TB has been on the car for about a year now.

So NWP emailed me back asking about why I'm only purchasing the Throttle body in itself and what the problem was. Explained the situation and they suggested on testing the adapter harness to see if everything was in order.

The continuity test was fine, so NWP offered to ship over a harness free of charge but I told them how I ordered a harness from NISformance.

I checked NISformance's site and found out that their old big bore throttle body harnesses might have issues of falling apart.

Contacted NISformance and they explained how they'll ship me the updated one free of charge as well.

So, my overall experience is that NWP and NISformance has outstanding customer support, let alone NWP isn't interested in a quick sale, rather more concerned about why someone like me would assume their TB failed.

So, obviously with the throttle body harness off, there's no more progress to be made for my car until I receive the new harness.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:25 PM
0taku

Got the damn thing dyno'd finally and sadly ran into more issues.

So the first base run was a surprise considering the last time I went WOT my MAF pipe blew off the coupler. So I was pretty happy nothing went wrong.

Run after run the power just kept climbing after some higher timing and my car seemed to enjoy retarding the cam timing. (I'm still running stock cams)

The biggest problem seem to be the boost. At 5000rpm, I hit max boost at 10psi and wont go any higher. At first I thought it could be belt slip so I tightened the belt and still no luck. (I do have the Timrod radius rod)

Something tells me it leaks out under a certain boost pressure because I would get random readings of 9-11psi within pulls.

Still investigating, tightening clamps, probably toss in some hair spray. Although we did a smoke test, we got nothing. Boost leak test proves impossible since the 2psi spring on my Tial Q will just **** it out.

Still all things aside, 494whp @ 10psi is pretty impressive. My goal of 600+ with the 18-20psi target should be attainable.

The following 2 users liked this post by 0taku:
BluestreamDE (04-24-2017), Logiqal (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:36 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Congrats man this is awesome! With just 10 psi you are a few hairs away from 500whp, once you get your boost leak or belt slip issue figured out you will be well over 500whp for sure on E85.

Im projected to be at about 16-17 psi with my pulley setup at 7100rpm with stock cams and same compression with meth, so this really helps gauge were I think I'll be at once my car is finished.

Good luck shooting for bigger numbers with the 928 impeller!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:57 AM
Logiqal

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Very impressive numbers with 10 psi and stock cams. What gas are you running?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:13 AM
0taku

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Congrats man this is awesome! With just 10 psi you are a few hairs away from 500whp, once you get your boost leak or belt slip issue figured out you will be well over 500whp for sure on E85.

Im projected to be at about 16-17 psi with my pulley setup at 7100rpm with stock cams and same compression with meth, so this really helps gauge were I think I'll be at once my car is finished.

Good luck shooting for bigger numbers with the 928 impeller!
When I swap out cams, I'll be sure to upgrade to an Ati for that extra power. Although at that point I'm tempted to just toss the Si and get a Ti trim.

Originally Posted by Logiqal
Very impressive numbers with 10 psi and stock cams. What gas are you running?
E85, miracle juice.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:44 PM
BluestreamDE

You will also make more whp with a higher redline. You stopped at 6600 when others here Rev to 7100 on stock cams.

I'm looking for a Ti myself just don't wanna pay for a whole new blower. Gonna see how far the 928 impeller takes me first.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:44 PM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

You will also make more whp with a higher redline. You stopped at 6600 when others here Rev to 7100 on stock cams.

I'm looking for a Ti myself just don't wanna pay for a whole new blower. Gonna see how far the 928 impeller takes me first.
Out of curiosity, why a Ti versus a v7-ysi or v7-jt?
Old 04-25-2017, 03:48 PM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by craig12895
Not to derail OPs thread, but Personally, I Don't want all the powa, just enough to enjoy myself with the car for now as a soon to be daily. 530-560whp is enough for me and easily attainable with an Si trim or 928 impeller V2/V3 Vortech to learn and get uses to on the street. Later down the road honestly I would just go single turbo kit w/ a 6466 Precision if power was the main focus to my build, but it's not.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:35 AM
0taku

Easier direct swap change as opposed to the V7. Also the V7 can be notorious in eating up belts.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:38 AM
craig12895

Originally Posted by 0taku
Easier direct swap change as opposed to the V7. Also the V7 can be notorious in eating up belts.
I wont disagree I think a ti is definitely the easier swap, but my v7 was also pretty simple.

I just see more v7 blowers floating around so Im surprised more people done do what I did and buy a kit with a v7 on it, swap my v2 out for the v7 and sell the kit for the same price.

I purchased a used mustang vortech kit, switched blowers, and then resold that mustang kit as a v2 and actually made out with profit in the end. Just something to consider.

And my v7 has not eaten a single belt yet, but I am only sitting at 14psi because Im on a stock motor.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 AM
0taku

It just really irks me how people are easily pushing 14+ on their V2/V3 with the 2.87 on a stock crank pulley and cog gears and I'm struggling to figure out why I'm stuck at 10psi.

Granted, running stock headers (sold off my Powerlab shorties, planned on upgrading to PPE longtubes at some point), if I swapped to PPE I might drop to 8-9psi and gain more power.

I'm digging through all the couplers to no avail, investigating possible belt slip which goes nowhere.... I'm starting to pull out my hair from frustration. I use t-clamps on every coupler (besides maf pipe to intercooler because there's simply no room for it)

I might pull off all my piping and check for pipe beads to see if anythings strange.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:30 PM
craig12895

Do you have the 1 piece Rydes charge pipe? Or do you still use the black plastic MAF housing? I know its pretty common for air to just leak out of that housing
Old 04-26-2017, 03:52 PM
BluestreamDE

It just really irks me how people are easily pushing 14+ on their V2/V3 with the 2.87 on a stock crank pulley and cog gears and I'm struggling to figure out why I'm stuck at 10psi...

You run the Kinetix Manifold correct? Check the welds and see if it came apart, Colombo had this issue with his Z getting boost leaks. Bit if you already did a smoke test idk what else to blame but belt slip.

I ran 13.8psi on stock headers before building my motor with the 3.12 pulley/34T/28T cog pulley combo and Fluidampr at 6600rpm. Headers shouldnot be an issue for boost but aftermarket headers will open up your midrange to top end power very well on a Vortech.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:15 PM
0taku

You run the Kinetix Manifold correct? Check the welds and see if it came apart, Colombo had this issue with his Z getting boost leaks. Bit if you already did a smoke test idk what else to blame but belt slip.

I ran 13.8psi on stock headers before building my motor with the 3.12 pulley/34T/28T cog pulley combo and Fluidampr at 6600rpm. Headers shouldnot be an issue for boost but aftermarket headers will open up your midrange to top end power very well on a Vortech.
The Kinetix I'm using has reinforced welding and we smoke tested on a vacuum line on the manifold so i would've known right then and there so that couldn't be the issue.

Someone else entertained the idea and told me that I could be restricted in my intake for the blower inlet. I'm currently running 3" with a 3-3.5" coupler so I might remove that pipe to see if anything happens.

Stock headers would actually do the opposite and increase boost, but not in an efficient manner.

Let me know asap what boost you're running with the 2.87/Fluidampr/34/28 setup. Because the only difference I have is running the stock 32/28 right now.

Do you have the 1 piece Rydes charge pipe? Or do you still use the black plastic MAF housing? I know its pretty common for air to just leak out of that housing
Yeah, I'm currently running the 3" RRyde pipe.

Last edited by 0taku; 04-27-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:22 PM
BluestreamDE

The Kinetix I'm using has reinforced welding and we smoke tested on a vacuum line on the manifold so i would've known right then and there so that couldn't be the issue.

Let me know asap what boost you're running with the 2.87/Fluidampr/34/28 setup. Because the only difference I have is running the stock 32/28 right now...

Right, yea I assumed the smoke test would show if it was blown or not, just trying to help figure out where the boost issue for u is at.

Will do bro. Once the car is put together and on the dyno, ill be sure to update my thread on the current psi level, I am running longtubes so guessing compared to others here, I may run about 16-17psi at 7100rpm with the current pulley setup I have but we shall see.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 AM
0taku

Right, yea I assumed the smoke test would show if it was blown or not, just trying to help figure out where the boost issue for u is at.

Will do bro. Once the car is put together and on the dyno, ill be sure to update my thread on the current psi level, I am running longtubes so guessing compared to others here, I may run about 16-17psi at 7100rpm with the current pulley setup I have but we shall see.
Man... you'll definitely pull more power than me

Orrrrrrr at least until I figure out this issue.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:33 PM
BluestreamDE

Man... you'll definitely pull more power than me

Orrrrrrr at least until I figure out this issue.

I'm sure you will make more with da cornjuice over meth injection. Way better benefits with E85 overall, well besides the fuel consumption. If i get 540-550whp, I will be content honestly. Good luck to you, once ur boost loss situation is fixed I'm sure you will be making big numbers in no time, man.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:38 PM
0taku

So I counted the cog pulley teeth and I do indeed have the 34 already, so that couldn't be the case now.

We removed the intake pipe to the inlet of the blower to see if the 3" pipe is causing a restriction but ran into overheating issues with the A/C.

Right now I'm more concerned about the Texas heat so I can drive comfortably. Gets too hot inside the car with just the windows down.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:43 PM
0taku

Found the culprit to my boost loss.....

It is belt slip.... but my idler pulley is failing to hold tension.

Time to replace that real quick and off to the dyno again.

Quick Reply: 1000th Vortech build etc. Looking for the bottlenecks