Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Eagle vs BC rods strength?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 11:29 PM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Eagle vs BC rods strength?

Could not find much direct comparison, so just curious what peoples opinions and experience are between these 2 rods?

I have narrowed my choices to these 2, but is one really superior to the other? and if so, what makes it better? I saw real pics of VQ eagle rods, but have not seen any actual pictures of BC rods, besides the ones they use for selling them(probably generic pic).

It seems there are quite a few people using eagle rods, though I am not sure how high they have been pushed, and I don't see too many reviews about BC rods. Maybe someone has experience with real life power limitations on eagle rods as I have a hard time believing they are good to 1500hp over time.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by jdm-v35; 09-04-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Lots of posts about eagles.

The rule of thumb is about 150whp per rod is the "max" they'll hold. But you'll need power to come in progressively, and preferably low torque to make sure they don't fly out the block.

Dynosty went 9's on them at 145. Str8dum1 blew his at high 900whp. Just depends on how you drive the car.

I don't know if a lot of vq's in general are running that kind of power often. Probably just a handful, but even those are not being driven often.

But at that power level, if a whole slew of other things aren't sorted you're going to have failure regardless of what rods you have in it.

They should be fine for 600whp reliably on a DD (according to Hal). So that's close to 700whp on a DJ. I think that would be a good bet.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:58 AM
jdm-v35

Cool thanks for the info. I saw many mixed reviews about eagles, so was not sure what is real/proven. max 150 per rod seems realistic. I'm guessing a high shot of nitrous would not be healthy for them if they can't see quick onset high torque reliably.

What do you think about BC's? not much about them except people claim they are better for high power.

My realistic end goal will be 700whp, but only driven maybe 2-3k per year if that. and rarely pushed. It won't be a dedicated track car. maybe take it to the 1/4 to test it once or twice but no more than that.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:11 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I ran BC rods for 30k miles, made 600 on them without issue. I'm running K1 rods on the motor we're putting together now.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 AM
jdm-v35

thanks for the info! do you think the BC rods are superior to eagle? May also have to consider K1... I did see someone else using them but I haven't heard of them myself.

Also was reading that on other platforms eagle rods were not in spec or finished as well as other brands. Not sure how true this is on the vq. I am still up in the air between these, but leaning towards BC with ARP 2000 bolts. May also consider K1 if they are any better. Looks like they are owned by Wiseco?

So far I have wiseco 11:1 pistons, HKS headgasket, ARP L19 head studs, ARP Main studs and most of the necessary gaskets.

Last edited by jdm-v35; 09-05-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:44 AM
thatv35guy

I'd honestly be happy with either rod, never used an Eagle rod though, but I feel that enough people have for me to be comfortable with them. Another option is Manley, you can pick up their H beam rod for just over $500. I'd probably buy those if I was looking for a rod right now.

Why's the compression so high btw?
Old 09-05-2016, 12:24 PM
jdm-v35

My goal is 700whp uncorrected at 6500ft, so with that in mind I am debating between the 3 rod choices(BC, Eagle, and now K1). I am more worried about peak power handling and whether it can handle possible nitrous more so than tracking it or pushing it hard daily. I dont drive the car much(not at all from nov-may), and when I do I really dont push the car. I may once in a great while just to remind myself why I like the car, but not much more than that.

Reason I am considering eagle rods is because realistically I don't plan to ever aim for 900whp, especially with 11:1

The other things I am thinking about are the rod bolts. are the ARP 2000's fine? or are the custom age 625+ necessary or overkill? and I am not sure whether I want to sleeve the block or not, or if its even necessary with those goals in mind.

Seems like high comp and FI is the way to go these days. I know a lot of the vortech guys are running or planning to run 11:1 upon building. 2bad240 runs 11:1 and was pushing like a 250 shot of nitrous for a while, then >600hp vortech. I will also be running aggressive cams so dynamic compression should be slightly lower.

I was in the market for pistons and someone offered me a great deal so figured I would try it out. if they were another brand that removed material from the piston to make it lighter for NA I wouldn't have bought them. Wiseco 11:1 pistons are actually heavier than their low comp pistons so they just added material to the top which is fine with me.

Last edited by jdm-v35; 09-05-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:35 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by jdm-v35
My goal is 700whp uncorrected at 6500ft, so with that in mind I am debating between the 3 rod choices(BC, Eagle, and now K1). I am more worried about peak power handling and whether it can handle possible nitrous more so than tracking it or pushing it hard daily. I dont drive the car much(not at all from nov-may), and when I do I really dont push the car. I may once in a great while just to remind myself why I like the car, but not much more than that.

Reason I am considering eagle rods is because realistically I don't plan to ever aim for 900whp, especially with 11:1

The other things I am thinking about are the rod bolts. are the ARP 2000's fine? or are the custom age 625+ necessary or overkill? and I am not sure whether I want to sleeve the block or not, or if its even necessary with those goals in mind.

Seems like high comp and FI is the way to go these days. I know a lot of the vortech guys are running or planning to run 11:1 upon building. 2bad240 runs 11:1 and was pushing like a 250 shot of nitrous for a while, then >600hp vortech. I will also be running aggressive cams so dynamic compression should be slightly lower.

I was in the market for pistons and someone offered me a great deal so figured I would try it out. if they were another brand that removed material from the piston to make it lighter for NA I wouldn't have bought them. Wiseco 11:1 pistons are actually heavier than their low comp pistons so they just added material to the top which is fine with me.
Honestly if it were me, I would go for the best rod I could possibly buy. If you're not planning for huge revs, pauters. If you do want to rev then get some Carillos.

2bad has some fairly aggressive tomei cams, if anything they have a bit more overlap than a bc stage 3, and a bit less lift.

Of course, if you're interested in saving money I'm selling my setup (f** california) so you can always shoot me a message and I'll give a good deal (beyond that give you all info you'd ever need). My block was done by dynosty for 1000 @ the crank with eagles. Don't have any miles on it, and it runs (poorly though, didn't get the tune sorted yet)
Old 09-06-2016, 04:36 AM
jdm-v35

Yea im going with the tomei 280 cams 11mm lift. The strongest rod out seems to be the manley turbo tuff or the higher end carillos, but im not looking to spend 1300+ on just rods. The carillo a beams are only rated to 400hp, and are still like 700.

The 3 choices seem like best bang for the buck. I am leaning towards bc since many people say they can handle >600 no problem. Eagles seem to as well but a couple people have bent them. I am still considering them though as many people are making good power with them. So your dynosty block is using eagle rods and they said safe to 1000 crank??

As far as my plans, i am most likely not going supercharger again. Sold my procharger because it was too loud and didn't make enough power. Vortech makes good power but i just dont want the noise. I am trying to figure out how to make a custom single aetup that can pass emissions but havent figured out piping yet and if its possible or not. May just keep it na until then and maybe shoot nitrous.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:38 AM
Engloid

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course looks aren't everything, but I have held eagle and bc rods side by side. They are nearly identical in all ways.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:21 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Carillo or Pauter. Both good choices if you are spending the $$$ on the motor.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:39 AM
jdm-v35

Pauter and carillo are double the price of bc and triple the price of eagles. That is a pretty significant price jump.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Resmarted

Pauter and carillo are double the price of bc and triple the price of eagles. That is a pretty significant price jump.
They also will let you lay down power as hard as you want, and will outlast the eagles etc.

An extra 700$ is worth it when the engine can put down more power, and last longer.

You're asking for our opinion. If you disagree with it, and have made up your mind, why are you asking?
The following users liked this post:
Cux350z (09-09-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Resmarted

This one of the eagles that actually went inside my motor. Small difference visually, but in terms of longevity and strength several things that the carillo is superior.
Stress risers gone on carrillos
Stronger wrist pin support
Much better machining on carrillos
Thicker material in the carrillo, which is going to be an exponential increase in strength vs it's increase in material

My eagles were also out of round and needed to be corrected. That's something every machine shop should check, but it's another step

If I could go back and do it again, I would pick the best that I could put in.

Last edited by Resmarted; 09-08-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:25 AM
jdm-v35

Makes sense. I am not decided, and probably am ruling out eagles totally at this point. Looking more towards bc but also considering others. I will consider carillos though it is stretching my rod budget. Also started looking at the tomei rods.

Another thing is that going 11:1, i can't make big power anyway, so would the carillos be overkill for my power potential? Would bc or tomei rods be even overly sufficient? I want to run safely but just want a good margin fo safety and quality. I probably wont need something that extreme. I have no plans of hitting 1000whp or close to it realistically.

Last edited by jdm-v35; 09-08-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:33 PM
Resmarted

Makes sense. I am not decided, and probably am ruling out eagles totally at this point. Looking more towards bc but also considering others. I will consider carillos though it is stretching my rod budget. Also started looking at the tomei rods.

Another thing is that going 11:1, i can't make big power anyway, so would the carillos be overkill for my power potential? Would bc or tomei rods be even overly sufficient? I want to run safely but just want a good margin fo safety and quality. I probably wont need something that extreme. I have no plans of hitting 1000whp or close to it realistically.
Well I think you're going to be fuel limited first, regardless the compression ratio. Like pump gas will only go so far regardless the compression ratio. Then when you get to e85 you'll get limited by cylinder pressure, but probably stop making power before you hit that point. Not really sure with the 62 precision.

I can't comment about the tomei's I don't know anything about them nor seen a picture that I was sure wasn't like stock footage. Based on their other H-beams they don't look really all that superior to other cheaper rods.

If you're really tight on the budget, then turbo tuffs would be a good pick. They have better QC than eagles from every person I talked to (engine builders). A few friends have them (one in a 2jz and one guy I knew who had them in a rb26). But both had machine shops fit them, and never asked if they were out of round etc.

To me (from what i've read, seen, and talked to others) it's not really about peak power, but how long it lasts. I don't think eagles would break quickly, but over time, if you really want to beat on the motor I'm sure they won't last as long. All the drag guys replace their eagles seasonally in the v8's even though they make great power with them.

It's your call. As long as you have the parts properly installed, you'll easily make the power you want. Eagles are some of the lightest rods, and are the least well made, but they do work. Just a question of how long they will work. Less power, longer life. More power shorter life.

Last edited by Resmarted; 09-08-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:47 PM
jdm-v35

Definitely see your point there. I don't plan to go with eagles at all at this point. Ill take a look at turbo tuff rods but still considering BC.

I will need to stick with 91 pump as they dont offer 93 here, and e85 is pretty hard to come by here. What do you think the safe limit is on 91 at that CR? I will be using tomei 280 cams as well which should bring dynamic CR down a bit.

I drive the car less than 3000mi a yr. last year only 1k. got the car in 06 with 30k and it has 66k now. it may see the 1/4mi twice in its lifetime but probably not more than that. other than that just driving to work once in a while.

Last edited by jdm-v35; 09-08-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:28 PM
thatv35guy

11:1 compression, boost, 700hp goals, & 91 octane?
Old 09-09-2016, 05:16 AM
jdm-v35

I would go e85 but its very hard to find around here. I used that e85 site and visitied a few of the stations when I was supercharged, but most have stopped selling it. I think the closest one that actually has e85 is 20mi away. It would be easier to use water/meth injection. It is more of a future proof build for now, as I won't be going FI immediately after the build. that will be another project for a later date.

Last edited by jdm-v35; 09-09-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

Carillo looks better in the side by side.

Screw e85...do water/meth and 93 pump
The following users liked this post:
Resmarted (09-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Eagle vs BC rods strength?