MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   Question regarding cosworth plenum and spacer (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/613924-question-regarding-cosworth-plenum-and-spacer.html)

turboed350z 12-12-2016 06:58 PM

Question regarding cosworth plenum and spacer

Ok so i picked up a cosworth plenum today, will be shipped out tomorrow. My question is, since i already have existing spacer, can i just stack the cosworth on top. Or does it have to replace oem plenum and spacer?

​​​​I am single turbo with the gt35r if that makes any difference.

BluestreamDE 12-12-2016 07:10 PM

The Cosworth, just like the Kinetix Velocity Manifold replaces the upper and lower oem plenums. There is no way a aftermarket plenum spacer will physically fit, man.

turboed350z 12-13-2016 06:53 PM

Would anyone happen to know the tq spec for the carbon fiber end caps? Or where i can get replacement endcaps or bolts for it?

jhc 12-13-2016 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10843237)
Would anyone happen to know the tq spec for the carbon fiber end caps? Or where i can get replacement endcaps or bolts for it?

When I did my Z1 spacer specs ran 4-6 FOOT lbs or 48-72 INCH lbs. As my old torque wrench wouldn't go that low I picked a nice lil Craftsman tw in inch lbs for about $35. ( I tried Harbor Freight on that 1st, was a pos).

For what it's worth I ran into major vacuum leaks with new gaskets even torqued properly. Did clear ATV on every surface including top washers, better than new.
GL!

turboed350z 12-13-2016 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 10843243)
When I did my Z1 spacer specs ran 4-6 FOOT lbs or 48-72 INCH lbs. As my old torque wrench wouldn't go that low I picked a nice lil Craftsman tw in inch lbs for about $35. ( I tried Harbor Freight on that 1st, was a pos).

For what it's worth I ran into major vacuum leaks with new gaskets even torqued properly. Did clear ATV on every surface including top washers, better than new.
GL!

Thats for the plenum itself right? Would the end caps on the cosworth be tq the same? Did you ever figured out where the leak was? From what i read, it can leak when its not allaligned properly even when tq to spec.

jhc 12-14-2016 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10843246)
Thats for the plenum itself right? Would the end caps on the cosworth be tq the same? Did you ever figured out where the leak was? From what i read, it can leak when its not allaligned properly even when tq to spec.

Those specs were reference only for original upper and lower. I would definitely call or go to mfgr's website for specs on cf.

Hard to say where the leak was bc I sealed everything in 1 sitting. I think mostly it was my old rubber top grommets leaking, so I hit them also.

turboed350z 12-16-2016 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 10843435)
Those specs were reference only for original upper and lower. I would definitely call or go to mfgr's website for specs on cf.

Hard to say where the leak was bc I sealed everything in 1 sitting. I think mostly it was my old rubber top grommets leaking, so I hit them also.

How fid you figure out you had a leak? Mine has a HUGE hissing sound coming from what appears to be behind and under the throttle body. Not sure if i need a new gasket

- bigc - 12-16-2016 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Use smoke and/or a smoke machine to find the vacuum leak.

EDIT: Attached is the cosworth install guide. Torque specs are on pages 4-6.

turboed350z 12-16-2016 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by - bigc - (Post 10844437)
Use smoke and/or a smoke machine to find the vacuum leak.

EDIT: Attached is the cosworth install guide. Torque specs are on pages 4-6.

Thanks! The guide really help, as far as testing for leaks, i did the old fashion the throttle body cleaner to see if the rpm would rise test. Doesnt seem to affect anything. Im about 90% sure that if i do have a leak, its the gasket.

jhc 12-16-2016 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10844433)
How fid you figure out you had a leak? Mine has a HUGE hissing sound coming from what appears to be behind and under the throttle body. Not sure if i need a new gasket

$10 vacuum guage. Simple tool, connect to any intake port. Available at any parts store.
It won't run correctly (obviously) with hissing. I chose to use a silicone sealant on every surface, about 18 months ago. I've never had to look at it again.
GL!

turboed350z 12-16-2016 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 10844547)
$10 vacuum guage. Simple tool, connect to any intake port. Available at any parts store.
It won't run correctly (obviously) with hissing. I chose to use a silicone sealant on every surface, about 18 months ago. I've never had to look at it again.
GL!

If i rtv it, how easy would it be to remove if i ever need to take it off?

dboyzalter 12-16-2016 02:41 PM

I wouldn't rtv those carbon fiber pieces. I didn't use rtv at all actually... I have the v+ I just used blue locktite and uswd my better judgement for tightening...

Been on about a year with no issues... That coolant line is bypassed by the throttle body but those metal gaskets are all I have.

High roller with the cosworth, are you finding that you like the turbo 350z more or less than the vette?

Hows your wifey doing :naughty:

jhc 12-16-2016 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10844549)
If i rtv it, how easy would it be to remove if i ever need to take it off?

You're good, this stuff goes on semi-liquid and dries to a pliable, rubbery texture. Every time I've pulled it off it's either with fingers or at worst a razor blade.
It's super clean and easy, there is NO hard scraping, ever. No wire-brushing, it clings to itself on removal.

It does take an hour to cure, but for intake issues, it's the bomb. No problems with contracting/expanding. A $6 tube should take care of the whole thing.

Permatex Clear RTV or GE, if you have other Qs pm me. Here to help! :thumbup:

dboyzalter 12-16-2016 02:53 PM

John do you happen to know what the difference is in the different types of RTV, I purchased the copper RTV for when I do my valve covers, but it turns out the gray is what Z1 recommends for pretty much everything... Thinkbit was gray, might have been blue.

dboyzalter 12-16-2016 02:55 PM

Not to hijack tbos thread but he knew it replaces the whole plenum, he just wanted to show off that he is getting some major bling for his VQ.

Running a spacer with the cosworth... Blasphemy

turboed350z 12-16-2016 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by dboyzalter (Post 10844554)
I wouldn't rtv those carbon fiber pieces. I didn't use rtv at all actually... I have the v+ I just used blue locktite and uswd my better judgement for tightening...

Been on about a year with no issues... That coolant line is bypassed by the throttle body but those metal gaskets are all I have.

High roller with the cosworth, are you finding that you like the turbo 350z more or less than the vette?

Hows your wifey doing :naughty:

I like the z way more than the vette to be honest, but then again, right now ill just take anything over the Z haha.

The wife is great, stressing over the child but no biggie thanks for asking.

Rtv is more for the gasket than the carbon caps, those are fine, i think in leaking where the gasket is posting a vid soon

turboed350z 12-16-2016 03:18 PM

Here a vid of the trouble im dealing with.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mRuUD0Zl58s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MicVelo 12-16-2016 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10844570)
Here a vid of the trouble im dealing with.

https://youtu.be/mRuUD0Zl58s

T'bo wants us to see the thousands of vids on his YT channel.

Z'OK, they're all of his Z.

When ya gonna start posting kid vids? Y'know.... late night feedings, yours and your wife's red eyes in the morning, Junior at T-ball.... that sort of thing? :icon17:

Man, if YT were around when my kids were growing up, I'da posted tons of Betamax movies!!

Wait, what do you mean I couldn'.......

So, are you officially poppa now or still in the waiting game?

turboed350z 12-16-2016 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by MicVelo (Post 10844576)
T'bo wants us to see the thousands of vids on his YT channel.

Z'OK, they're all of his Z.

When ya gonna start posting kid vids? Y'know.... late night feedings, yours and your wife's red eyes in the morning, Junior at T-ball.... that sort of thing? :icon17:

Man, if YT were around when my kids were growing up, I'da posted tons of Betamax movies!!

Wait, what do you mean I couldn'.......

So, are you officially poppa now or still in the waiting game?

haha when jr stop taking all of our time and i get a chance to make some vids haha. yea im officially an old man now... sad sad day haha. average sleep time: 4hrs.... i did not sign up for this. idk who cries more, jr or me when i have to wake up at 3 in the morning.

but with parenthood, comes the joy of getting a weekend without jr because shes at her gandma's house. was hoping id have the car all set and ready before jr gets back, shes gonna be taking up too much time for me to deal will the car. :suicide:

MicVelo 12-17-2016 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10844590)
haha when jr stop taking all of our time and i get a chance to make some vids haha. yea im officially an old man now... sad sad day haha. average sleep time: 4hrs.... i did not sign up for this. idk who cries more, jr or me when i have to wake up at 3 in the morning.

but with parenthood, comes the joy of getting a weekend without jr because shes at her gandma's house. was hoping id have the car all set and ready before jr gets back, shes gonna be taking up too much time for me to deal will the car. :suicide:

Well congrats dude! I knew little Dugan was due around Thanksgiving! (I'm kidding....that was cold. :icon17:) But seriously, life will never be the same. It'll be better - with purpose and a whole different brand of fun.

You're not an old man.

You just feel like it having to tend to every one of Jr's needs. Heh!

Keep on truckin'!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....d4e35f664f.jpg