Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

I got bit by the bug. Supercharger Questions (Eaton M90)

Old 03-28-2017, 04:25 PM
Trap Star

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I got bit by the bug. Supercharger Questions (Eaton M90)

So I was back at the junkyard today for the 2nd day in a row and found a little something I couldn't resist picking up for the $80 price tag. Only they rang it up incorrectly as a "intake manifold" so it only cost me $25. Came off a Pontiac with the 3.8L. Its a Eaton Gen III M90 supercharger. Making it match up with the Z should be interesting but from what I've been reading its a pretty good piece. So, now I need to know if this has been done, will I need larger injectors (Im guessing yes), and will an osiris tune be able to handle this kind of setup.

Enjoy. From what I've been reading 350-400whp should be pretty achievable with this guy. If anyone knows of a mount kit for the vq that would work or could be made to work please let me know.

Name:  20170328_134158_zpshlzctrod.jpg
Views: 4011
Size:  303.6 KB
Old 03-28-2017, 06:40 PM
Trap Star

After some more searching the Stillen Intercooled Supercharger kit looks like it has an intake manifold that could be a possibility. Can't find much info on it though, anyone familiar?
Old 03-28-2017, 07:10 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Not to crap on the thread but you shouldn't mimic what stillen did with their first generation supercharger. It sucked, wasn't scaleable, had a 350whp ceiling, and horrible tuning potential. There's a reason why they reverted to Vortech for their second generation. I don't know anything that'll mate up...other than something that comes off a CNC machine.

I also think Eaton saw that there wasn't potential in a roots charger on this application and they didn't research, design, and market a product.

If it was me - sell it and minimize your loses...

Last edited by bealljk; 03-28-2017 at 09:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
Aeneas137 (05-11-2023), BluestreamDE (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 PM
Trap Star

Hey man the advice is appreciated, you're not shitting on anything. My losses are already minimized, I've only spent $25 bucks on the supercharger. I would really prefer a cnc or well designed welded setup but I'm afraid the cost will be outrageous. Other than that one part its a pretty easy setup to build. 350hp is plenty for me for this car, plus I like doing abnormal builds. I find it more challenging. In the end if it blows up, oh well, I usually learn a lot in the process so thats worth it.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Trap Star
Hey man the advice is appreciated, you're not shitting on anything. My losses are already minimized, I've only spent $25 bucks on the supercharger. I would really prefer a cnc or well designed welded setup but I'm afraid the cost will be outrageous. Other than that one part its a pretty easy setup to build. 350hp is plenty for me for this car, plus I like doing abnormal builds. I find it more challenging. In the end if it blows up, oh well, I usually learn a lot in the process so thats worth it.
Cool cool ... I would tell you to invest your money and more importantly your time on something that has proven results - don't reinvent the wheel. I love Stillen's stuff but their roots supercharger was 3rd on the list back in the day.

you say 350whp is enough...but it never never never is!!!

If you do move forward with this it may be wise to rapid-prototype a model (prior to going to a machinist) with a 3d printer. If you can remove the upper & lower plenums and bolt directly to the intake manifold you'll reduce/eliminate the passenger side bank running lean. I'd also look into Haltech versus Osiris ... nothing wrong with Osiris but I think Haltech has better scalability and flexibility especially for a one-off build.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:44 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

in to see what happens......we now christen your car as FrankZedstein
Old 03-29-2017, 06:51 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Do you plan on cutting your roof or buying the stillen bonnet. The oem hood will not close with that supercharger on the top of the engine like the Sttillen kit.

Look in the market place, there are private sales with used Vortech or turbo kits all the time with pretty good pricing, maybe able to talk them down and work a deal. I wouldn't use that M90 imho...
Old 03-29-2017, 11:05 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Just playing devils advocate...but if you scrapped the two plenums (lower & upper) and revised the strut tower brace you think you'd have enough room?

OP, how tall is the supercharger?
Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

For 25$ this could get interesting. As long as that thing isn't seized up that is!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Trap Star

Originally Posted by bealljk
Cool cool ... I would tell you to invest your money and more importantly your time on something that has proven results - don't reinvent the wheel. I love Stillen's stuff but their roots supercharger was 3rd on the list back in the day.

you say 350whp is enough...but it never never never is!!!

If you do move forward with this it may be wise to rapid-prototype a model (prior to going to a machinist) with a 3d printer. If you can remove the upper & lower plenums and bolt directly to the intake manifold you'll reduce/eliminate the passenger side bank running lean. I'd also look into Haltech versus Osiris ... nothing wrong with Osiris but I think Haltech has better scalability and flexibility especially for a one-off build.
The 3D printer route is definitely another route I'd like to consider, I'm sure someone can do it with a thermoplastic that could withstand the tempertures. I'd imagine this would be the most effective at lower the supercharger enough to not need to modify the hood.

Originally Posted by travlee
in to see what happens......we now christen your car as FrankZedstein
Hahaha, I kinda have a thing for frankencars. My S13 is almost entirely an S14. Subframes, suspension arms, seats, carpet, hubs, rear brakes, all from a 97. S15 front brakes. S14 KA with a modified S14 wiring harness and S14 ecu. My S14 is getting a 5.0 from a 94 Mustang GT. Oh, and I'm about to drop a GT1752 out of a Saab into my 01 Prelude.

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Do you plan on cutting your roof or buying the stillen bonnet. The oem hood will not close with that supercharger on the top of the engine like the Sttillen kit.

Look in the market place, there are private sales with used Vortech or turbo kits all the time with pretty good pricing, maybe able to talk them down and work a deal. I wouldn't use that M90 imho...
I want to get it to sit low enough to not modify the hood. Thats actually a pretty high priority but if its unavoidable I'll figure something out. I really just want to use this to see if I can do it. I know its not the ideal or easy choice but thats kind of the point. Besides, everything I've been reading about it is that its a very good unit. Its not like Eaton is a no name brand or anything. Better than ebay.

Originally Posted by bealljk
Just playing devils advocate...but if you scrapped the two plenums (lower & upper) and revised the strut tower brace you think you'd have enough room?

OP, how tall is the supercharger?
Lower and upper are definitely getting scrapped. I'll get pictures of why kand those measurements but basically most of the supercharger's outlet to the intake manifold would be sitting on the thinnest part of the manifold. Would definitely flow like **** haha.

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
For 25$ this could get interesting. As long as that thing isn't seized up that is!
Right? $25 ftw. It spins freely and smoothly. There is a little play before it catches but I'm not sure if thats a sign it needs a rebuild or if its normal normal. I'll take it into school tomorrow and have it looked at by my instructors and get their opinion.

Last edited by Trap Star; 03-29-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:27 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Trap Star
The 3D printer route is definitely another route I'd like to consider, I'm sure someone can do it with a thermoplastic that could withstand the tempertures.
I'm not sure it'd be wise to cast it out of plastic long term. From what I've found is that a 3d printer melts the plastic around 270* ... I don't know how comfortable I'd be running it long term ... but build a model in google sketch, cast it in plastic to make sure fits then send that model to a CNC shop ... and lastly, open up that wallet!!!!!
Old 03-29-2017, 05:38 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

WHY?
The following users liked this post:
CK_32 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 12:02 AM
Trap Star

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
WHY?
Why not?

Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone but I'm not interested in your suggestions of other routes I could go that are easier, more common, etc.

I'm interested in getting advice on how to make THIS work. If I can do it for a more reasonable price than most of the other kits then it could open up a supercharger option for more Z/G owners. That seems like a worthwhile endeavor. And, as I've mentioned already, I like doing weird **** like this. If I can't find a way to put it on the Z I'll buy another one and put them on my 5.0 240. Why? Because I can and I'll learn something in the process. Its also unique which I like.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:12 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 440 Likes on 356 Posts

Fabbing this up would be a nightmare.
You can fab a custom rear-mount turbo set-up in ~2 days

If you lack the skills to do either of these; it would be best to buy a kit
Old 03-30-2017, 12:24 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
WHY?
Seriously...
That supercharger isn't worth the time to setup & tune the thing.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:02 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Another "I spent $20" for boost now I'm ganna half azz and cheap my way and guess through the rest thread.

In to see how this turns out.. I don't see it being stellar.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:40 PM
Trap Star

So much hate lol.

I'm not trying to half *** the install. Thats the point of asking for advice, to learn how better to do something. These superchargers are used in aftermarket kits for several cars, many with higher displacement than the VQ, with very good results so I'm not sure why many of you are convinced its garbage. They also have a tendency to last FOREVER.

I'm trying to gain the skills to do this kind of stuff. I'm in school for it and I've found that actually doing it is usually the best way to learn the most.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:44 PM
Trap Star

Also, I considered going twin turbo through a couple different routes but decided against it for this car. I'm already working on 2 other turbo projects so I want something different. Also, my dads S4 is a supercharged V6 and I love the way it delivers power. No lag, just a whole lot of go.
Mamiph (07-05-2021)
Old 03-30-2017, 01:58 PM
Trap Star

What about individual runners like the Kinetix Velocity manifold with a similar sheet metal style box for the supercharger to mount to? Thoughts?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:38 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Sorry to burst your bubble bud, but it's more than just scotch taping a super charger to any random engine.

And its not hate, we're just rolling our eyes at another memeber who doesn't have a clue and won't get this done and wants us to magically find a way for him to make this work to start his build thread of $100 900 VQ junkyard SC build.

but we're not ganna suck your azz hole and feed your smoke by trying to build a SC on $100 lunch money at the junk yard.

Cool find sure. But it's a pipe dream. Your a dime a dozen kid. Sorry to burst your bubble but we're not ganna hold your hand and spoon feed you like you want us to.

Not being dicks. It's called being in the real world and getting into something you hardly know anything about, if you did you wouldn't be here asking us to make this work for you

Last edited by CK_32; 03-30-2017 at 02:43 PM.
BigBlue (03-30-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I got bit by the bug. Supercharger Questions (Eaton M90)