VQ37HR single turbo drift car... yeah - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Old 12-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
venture210

Default VQ37HR single turbo drift car... yeah

Well, I've gotten pretty far on fabricating my turbo system to where I feel I can post it up.

Thread on where the car started. Almost a full on NA drift machine that's perfectly setup for 2nd and 3rd gear tracks.
https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/613598-vq37hr.html

At first, I wanted to save up and just buy the boosted performance single turbo kit, but there were small things that I didn't like about it just out of personal preference. The biggest reason being that the BP kit routes the hot side charge pipe over the driver side control arms and doesn't allow you to keep the factory strut tower bar. Wheel clearance and handling are a priority for drifting in my opinion so I'd have to modify those. Other than that, Sasha makes probably the best single turbo kit for the Z's and I have nothing but respect for his kits. With that said, my kit is very much inspired by his and will be a one off kit solely for myself.

The turbo. Precision 6776 journal bearing with a 0.96 A/R
Turbo is practically new as it was re-manufactured by Precision. Got it for a hell of a deal from a friend who decided to go with a bigger turbo for his 2jz is300 build. I searched the interwebz for flanges and finally found one I liked over the typical divided T4 flanges. I can't remember all too well but it was on some diesel performance website. Fully CNC'd stainless steel flange with 2" transitioned holes that's about 5/8" thick! Awesooooooome

Clamped a plate to the subframe and ended up stuffing some wood pieces under the turbo so that it sits above the subframe and is thus safe from running over something (just like the BP kit)

Another reason I'm fabbing this all by myself is because I want absolutely perfect fitment and clearance. My car was originally a DE revup and for some reason, things just feel a lot tighter now with an HR compared to actual 07-08 350z's

I got the header flanges from concept Z thinking they were stainless because the material wasn't specified and end up with some mild steel flanges... kinda salty about that but oh well. They're welded on and I used 309L filler metal as it's need for joining stainless to mild steel. Probably with be fine. The 2.25" flange hole is reduced with an eccentric sch10 stainless reducer (2" to 1.5")

I still have a long way to go on TIG welding thick stainless but it's at least back purged and built up as needed.

I done goofed

Down to my last cup now

Here's the driver side part of the manifold with a solid root weld

And booooooom, turbo is mounted

Wastegate hole. doesn't have to be beautiful since a tube will cover it lol

Driver side waste gate notched and ready to get welded on to the mani

At about a 45* angle to the flow of the piping to provide optimal waste gate flow

Very happy with how this came out!

The start of the exhaust

Showing off a little that I can still throw down on thin wall stainless

Waste gate dumps gonna look goooood

All the hot stuff is just about done aside finishing the exhaust. Planning to use a GReddy RS muffler again since they sound so amazing

What all that jazz looks like off the car

Fortunately, I have some really awesome friends that are willing to let me use their welders since mine can't weld AC for aluminum. This intercooler is actually this first real aluminum project I've ever had. I've only done a hand full of AL beads prior to this and I was truly amazed at how much the machine makes the difference compared what I tried to practice on in the past.

Those everlast welders are no joke

Complete intercooler. Only thing missing is beads on the ends of the tubes to give the couplers something to grip on and not slip off under boost

Last edited by venture210; 12-05-2017 at 07:53 PM.
venture210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
venture210

double post

Last edited by venture210; 12-05-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
venture210

Really simple mounts. Just bent plates with holes drilled accordingly

Getting close!

Things currently on the to list fabrication wise:
-2.75" aluminum intake charge pipes with MAF flanges welded on
-2" hot side stainless steel charge pipe with tial Q BOV flange welded on in a safe accessible spot
-3" exhaust

Things to do that are not fabrication related:
-install barbs and vaccuum hoses to waste gates and BOV
-install 1000cc injectors (got some Bosch ones from a fb friend for a solid deal)
-install 485 walbro fuel pump with relay and all that jazz (stock fuel lines, no return)
-replace rear axles (worn out and clicking from drifting)
-fill up the tank with E85 and get on the dyno!

going to do a mild and safe tune until I can save up enough for the JWT heavy duty clutch, BC sportsman rods, electronic boost controller, and AFR/Boost gauges.

Should be able to put down around 400hp and about 360tq safely until then.

End goal is 550 to 600hp and 400-450tq with the torque curve being as flat as possible and carrying that power to the top

Last edited by venture210; 12-05-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
HRMoneyPit

Oh dat nice
HRMoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanked 1,410 Times in 1,021 Posts

I see posts and stuff like this on TV shows like Bitchin' Rides and such and feel wholly inadequate thinking about the condition of the cookie cutters I made in metal shop.

Bishin' fab skills, dude! I thought your exhaust sys was boss but this? Wow.
MicVelo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MicVelo For This Useful Post:
venture210 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 04:46 AM   #6
Highway Riding

Props man!
Highway Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Highway Riding For This Useful Post:
venture210 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
Blurvision

Clean work! Nice